TESTERS WANTED! ×

Elbow Tendinitis?

Middler

I seem to have developed a mild case of tendinitis in my left elbow, and I want to eliminate it or prevent it from getting worse. Anyone know of any exercises or other proactive preventive measures to combat tendinitis? I wear an arm brace, and I know pain relievers can help after the fact - I'd like to eliminate or prevent it if possible without reducing play (another recommended measure). I am guessing winter play is making the condition worse, hitting from sloppy lies WAY more often than summer...

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, FJ DryJoys

I have been using a theraband flex bar to help with golfers and tennis elbow for the past few months. Seems to be helping but we will see once I get back into testing irons again.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

When I had tennis elbow, these exercises did wonders for me. I did them daily, multiple times per day to stretch & strengthen. One of my co-workers also had tennis elbow and this was one of the videos he was pointed to for relief. 

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

CBD topical cream worked wonders for me.  I'm now in a physical therapy program that's for my back but some of the exercises have really helped the elbow to the point that I don't even know where the cream is right now (I think in my wife's desk drawer)

Good luck - one of the things that I've learned from my physical therapist is that you normally can play through pain without hurting anything worse - check with your doctor though of course.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I just kept using this forearm brace and it has either helped or was a placebo and it went away on its own.  Next up is composite iron shafts for the shoulders and, to a lesser extent, hands.  One of the Canadian guys I play with here in Yuma started using CBD cream last year and said it was helping quite a bit.  

forearm1.jpg.b71060fed553cc3e304250bf471cd7c1.jpgforearm.jpg.a821db7ae90930606436bb8f1f84d841.jpg

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

I developed horrific tendonitis last year and ended up getting the steroid shot, anti-inflammatories and went through weeks of PT. It's certainly better, but honestly has not gotten back to normal. These are the exercises they had me doing at PT and at home. Honestly, the hammer exercise was by far the best for stretching out the tendon and releasing the tension. Use a 16 oz canned good for the wrist exercises and ice the elbow afterwords. Hope it helps.

tennis-elbow-graphic-pic.jpg.8fead5141fbc3ca5bfe5e5a28e7068db.jpg 

Driver: :cobra-small: Speed Zone 9* HZRDUS Smoke Yellow Shaft

3 Wood: :cobra-small: King Speedzone 13.5* HZRDUS Smoke Black Shaft

2 & 3 Hybrids: :cobra-small: Speedzone Recoil 480 ESX Shaft

Irons: :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-GW Recoil 460 ESX Shafts

Wedges::callaway-logo-1: PM Grind 54* & 58*

Putter: :odyssey-small: Dual Force Rossi II

Ball: Whatever I find in the woods

:Arccos:

HCP:18

thank you very much for the recommendations, it's very helpful for me! I am a professional powerlifter and lately, due to very heavy weights, I increasingly feel pain in my elbows. I went to the doctor who prescribed me some drugs that I order from http://powerliftinghigh.com/, which are steroid drugs and help in the restoration of cartilage tissue and inter-articular fluid. Have you tried this option? It helps me a lot. Within a few weeks, my elbows began to hurt much less.

Edited by Marcus Evans

On 2/2/2021 at 9:46 AM, cnosil said:

I have been using a theraband flex bar to help with golfers and tennis elbow for the past few months. Seems to be helping but we will see once I get back into testing irons again.

Flex bars are good. Just be careful the eccentric exercises don’t cause further damage. Research says it should help but it’s 50/50 in the clinic

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 Plus 9deg Kai' li Red

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 13deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 15deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 4-PW Nippon Modus 120s

:vokey-small: SM8 54 and 58deg Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex

:titleist-small: Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Titleist ProV1

:ping-small: Hoofer Stand Bag

Stewart Q Follow Electric Caddie

:callaway-small: 300 PRO Rangefinder

Official Nippon Regio B+ Driver Shaft Review

Official Stewart Q Follow Review

CBS creams are great. Volt stem gel is helpful. All the exercises are correct listed above. Consider seeing and acupuncturist or physical therapist for dry needling. 

I work as an outpatient physical therapist treating elbow tendinitis on a weekly basis. Good luck going forward. Please don’t hesitate to reach out if you need anything 

Titleist ProV1

• 2 months later...

I still haven’t whipped the tennis elbow. No worse, no better. Straightening my arm is the most painful. It hurts more off the golf course than on, though I am certain golf is the source and aggravating it.

I guess I need to try more exercise, and more often. I’ve been wearing a forearm brace and dropped to playing twice a week instead of three times. Maybe try CBD.

There are a couple sports massage folks around, I may try that too.

• Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1

Thanks Middleton. This is an excellent topic for our golfers. I too have been attacked by tennis elbow. My remedy was to get a forearm brace. The last two months have plagued my game as I tried several creams without any luck. I finally purchased a forearm brace and wore it yesterday, I was able to shoot a 44/37:81. I will now review and try the exercises shown in the thread. Hopefully I can lick this.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

Mine used to flare up when I started playing 2-3 times per week. I wore a compression brace and that would help on the course. Over time the muscles got stronger and it doesn’t flare up as often anymore. 

Taylormade M5 Driver

Cobra F9 3 Wood

Srixon ZX5 4-6 Iron

Srixon ZX7 7-PW

Taylormade MG2 Wedges 50/55/60

Taylormade Spider X Putter

I’ve been dealing with this issue for awhile, tried the braces and compression sleeves with not much help, based on @revkev recommendation I tried the CBD cream and it seems to work pretty good so far.

:callaway-small: XR Driver Matrix Ozik 8m3 Black Tie Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

PXG 0211 DC 5-PW Mitsubishi MMT 80 Shafts

:cleveland-small: RTX ZIPCORE 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 2.0 grip

:Snell: MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

4 hours ago, TBT said:

I’ve been dealing with this issue for awhile, tried the braces and compression sleeves with not much help, based on @revkev recommendation I tried the CBD cream and it seems to work pretty good so far.

I’m tempted to try CBD, but does it “fix” the condition, or just provide temporary pain relief? I’m looking for a fix if possible. Thanks.

I have a golf buddy who had it worse than me, and he got over it with a cortisone shot, I’d like to use that as a last resort.

• Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1

There are a couple of old people living in the house that used the CBD lotion for a sore swollen wrist and sore knees and it provided relief fairly quickly.  It's hard to say its the placebo effect when the swelling went down so quickly.   I am glad it worked and the cure all trip to the chiropractor wasn't necessary.  

Modern Bag:  :ping-small: G410 LST 10.5*, Hzrdus Smoke RDX 6.5 Flex;   :titelist-small:  915F 3w, Diamana S+ 70 S flex;  Snake Eyes 18* 2h, 23* 4h & 27* 5h; :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 6 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Edison 2.0 49*, 53*, 57* KBS Tour 120 S;   :ping-small:  Heppler Fetch;  Ball - :Snell: MTB-X; Bag - Jones MyGolfSpy Edition! 

Shot Scope H4, MG600 Rangefinder

Classic Bag:  Driver - :wilson_staff_small: Persimmon; 3w - :Hogan: Speed Slot; 5w - :wilson_staff_small: Tour Block; 3 - pw - :wilson_staff_small: Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

Went to GNC yesterday and purchased their CBD sports cream.  Applied it as directed and played 9 holes without the forearm brace.  Arm felt fine. Will continue to use it to see how long it takes to remove this ailment.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

So that anyone new checking in doesn't need to pore through pages of stuff I started using CBD cream from GNC based upon my trainer and doctor's recommendation.  Both felt that there was reliable medical evidence as well as anecdotal evidence from their clients and patients to make the recommendation and my doctor suggested GNC as the easiest place to start - doesn't mean that there aren't other good options out there. 

It works very well for me - I've had no elbow issues to speak of since starting to use it and healed from my lower leg injury this year quicker than anticipated in part because of following doctor/trainers orders that included applying CBD cream to the injured area.  I'd like to say that it's 100 percent but as my trainer said, "I'm not one of his athletes."  He's expect a trip to the IL for a similar injury for one of them and a full month before they'd be close to 100 percent.  He's a trainer for the Yankees. 🙂

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

7 hours ago, revkev said:

So that anyone new checking in doesn't need to pore through pages of stuff I started using CBD cream from GNC based upon my trainer and doctor's recommendation.  Both felt that there was reliable medical evidence as well as anecdotal evidence from their clients and patients to make the recommendation and my doctor suggested GNC as the easiest place to start - doesn't mean that there aren't other good options out there. 

It works very well for me - I've had no elbow issues to speak of since starting to use it and healed from my lower leg injury this year quicker than anticipated in part because of following doctor/trainers orders that included applying CBD cream to the injured area.  I'd like to say that it's 100 percent but as my trainer said, "I'm not one of his athletes."  He's expect a trip to the IL for a similar injury for one of them and a full month before they'd be close to 100 percent.  He's a trainer for the Yankees. 🙂

You convinced me, so I went to GNC to buy their Myaderm CBD Sport Cream (double strength) - but they don’t sell it in NC, can’t order it online either. The guys in the store didn’t know why, just couldn’t help. So I went to a local CBD store but it seemed to cater to beauty clients, so I’m back to the drawing board…

• Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1

On 4/26/2021 at 7:30 AM, jddaigneault said:

Mine used to flare up when I started playing 2-3 times per week. I wore a compression brace and that would help on the course. Over time the muscles got stronger and it doesn’t flare up as often anymore. 

I suspect I no longer need my elbow compression band either... but I've kind of grown use to having it on now 😆.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

17 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

I suspect I no longer need my elbow compression band either... but I've kind of grown use to having it on now 😆.

I keep mine in the bag just in case. 

Taylormade M5 Driver

Cobra F9 3 Wood

Srixon ZX5 4-6 Iron

Srixon ZX7 7-PW

Taylormade MG2 Wedges 50/55/60

Taylormade Spider X Putter

Cortisone shots are helpful to eliminate pain. Whatever dysfunction that caused the tendinitis in the first place needs to be addressed. If you continue down the same road without changing anything you are likely back to the same place you are now within a short period of time. Keep stretching, strengthening and modifying your activities. Look for a local therapist who is certified in dry needling to get the best of both worlds with massage and dry needling. Plus it can be on your insurances tab!

Titleist ProV1

As someone who works in manufacturing, doing heavy manual labor every day and who used to be pretty big into weight training; I can tell you that braces help but really all that is going to heal and prevent tendonitis is ice, heat, stretching and rest.

There may be drugs or natural remedies out there that will reduce or mask the pain but all its doing is numbing the pain and pain is a sign that you are doing damage to your body.

For many years, when I still lifted pretty hard, I would suffer from tendonitis and I kind of just dealt with it and ignored the pain.  When I stopped lifting, wouldnt you know it, the pain gradually went away.

I also have tendonitis in my knees from working in a factory and walking on concrete all day long.  I know that when my knees start to hurt and they get stiff and achy, its time for a new pair of shoes.  Also, Ive noticed that magically, when I take some time off of work, my knees suddenly dont hurt so much anymore and when Im off for a week or more, they dont hurt at all.  Weird, huh?

f

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

So I bought CBD cream yesterday (reminded me of a 70’s head shop) and a FlexBar to do the exercises in the earlier posts. Hope it works!

• Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/1/2021 at 7:09 AM, Middler said:

So I bought CBD cream yesterday (reminded me of a 70’s head shop) and a FlexBar to do the exercises in the earlier posts. Hope it works!

Any feedback on this?

I've come down with some golfer's elbow and am icing, stretching, using a massage gun, etc.  Ordered a couple different compression braces to try out tonight as well.

I'm also seriously considering the CBD cream.  STUPID question here but I have to ask:  that wouldn't trigger a urinalysis problem would it?  I'm Active Duty...still get hit with the random whiz quiz every once in a while...

EDIT:  Googled this and some THC can be present in some products and could possibly show up in a test, the difference being full-spectrum CBD (which has everything from the plant including THC), and broad-spectrum CBD in which the THC has been removed.

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 6 S, 65g Stiff

FW: :titleist-small: TSR2 3w, 15,  :Fuji:Ventus Blue 7 S, 70g Stiff

Hybrids:  :callaway-small: Apex Pro 3H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

:taylormade-small: Stealth DHY 4H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS 5-6, SMS Pro 7-PW, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Wedges: :vokey-small:SM9 48 F Grind, 52 F Grind, 56 M Grind, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Putter: :odyssey-small: Sri-Hot 5K Triple Wide, Stroke Lab shaft

Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1

Click here for my HONMA TR20 Official Review!  :honma:

Click here for my Arccos Caddie Bundle Official Review!   :Arccos:

Click here for my Edel SMS & SMS Pro Irons Official Review:edel-golf-1:

15 minutes ago, Getoffmylawn said:

Any feedback on this?

I've come down with some golfer's elbow and am icing, stretching, using a massage gun, etc.  Ordered a couple different compression braces to try out tonight as well.

I'm also seriously considering the CBD cream.  STUPID question here but I have to ask:  that wouldn't trigger a urinalysis problem would it?  I'm Active Duty...still get hit with the random whiz quiz every once in a while...

It’s slowly getting better for me, but I still have a little tinge pain and wear a brace when I play golf (afraid not to now?). The brace definitely reduced the damage from playing at first. I tried topical CBD (Myaderm Double Strength Advanced Sport Cream 2400) it didn’t help me at all. I did a bunch of different exercises and stretches from this thread and elsewhere and it seemed to make my tennis elbow (mines lateral, not golfers elbow) worse - I may have overdone it, or done something with poor form? A neighbor PT told me it was wrist deflection on/off the course that was causing/prolonging my tennis elbow, told me to buy an ordinary wrist brace and wear it as much as possible (not while playing). I started that a little more than a week ago, and my elbow has improved! Crucial that I wear it sleeping, as my elbow hurt the most when I got up in the morning, I must’ve been doing something with my wrist and/or elbow (hyper extending) while asleep. So I guess it’s an individual journey as different things have helped different people. I may try dry needling if it doesn’t go away completely now, cortisone is my last resort.

• Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1

1 minute ago, Middler said:

It’s slowly getting better for me, but I still have a little tinge pain and wear a brace when I play golf (afraid not to now?). I tried topical CBD, it didn’t help me at all. I did a bunch of different exercises and stretches from this thread and elsewhere and it seemed to make my tennis elbow (mines lateral, not golfers elbow) worse - I may have overdone it, or done something with poor form? A neighbor PT told me it was wrist deflection on/off the course that was causing/prolonging my tennis elbow, told me to buy an ordinary wrist brace and wear it as much as possible (not while playing). I started that a little more than a week ago, and my elbow has improved! Crucial that I wear it sleeping, as my elbow hurt the most when I got up in the morning, I must’ve been doing something with my wrist and/or elbow (hyper extending) while asleep. So I guess it’s an individual journey as different things have helped different people. I may try dry needling if it doesn’t go away completely now, cortisone is my last resort.

Interesting that some report immediate relief from CBD while others report no help at all.

With all my weight training I've dealt with tendinitis plenty but never golfer's elbow like this.  Playing, lots of Orange Whip and SuperSpeed, and getting older, and here I am.  

Hope you're able to eliminate it completely, and soon.

Wedges: :vokey-small:SM9 48 F Grind, 52 F Grind, 56 M Grind, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

3 minutes ago, Getoffmylawn said:

Interesting that some report immediate relief from CBD while others report no help at all.

With all my weight training I've dealt with tendinitis plenty but never golfer's elbow like this.  Playing, lots of Orange Whip and SuperSpeed, and getting older, and here I am.  

Hope you're able to eliminate it completely, and soon.

You too. I am unable to play consecutive days now, Mon-Wed-Fri is my limit. Sucks…

• Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1

5 minutes ago, Middler said:

You too. I am unable to play consecutive days now, Mon-Wed-Fri is my limit. Sucks…

THAT's exactly what I'm afraid of.  Playing 18 tomorrow, then 18 Saturday.  And I have plans to play 36 on my birthday in a few weeks at my favorite area course.  Wincing at every shot makes it kind of hard to commit and I know you know what I mean.