The Driver Hype Wars 2021

Driver Hype war 2021  

59 members have voted

1. 1. So who has won the early hype war for you? IE, if you got a free driver delivered in the mail tomorrow, which one would you want it to be(and which shaft? please say autoflex)

• Taylormade Sim2 series
    • Titleist Tsi series
    • Callaway Epic series
    • Ping 425 series
    • Srixon z series
    • Wilson D9
    • Cobra RADspeed series
    • Mizuno ST series
    • PXG 3rd Gen series
    • Other (ie Tour Edge, Ben Hogan, Maltby, Sub 70... )

Our Sponsors

The mizzy and G425 are on the radar but coming from the TXG fellas and Matty replacing freaky deaky with the TSi so quickly; it's in pole position for me.  While autoflex is intriguing, I feel like I wouldn't be consistent with it.   Since this is still dream-land I'm going with Tensei Pro White 1k.  

• Like 3

2020 MGS Hard Rock Challenge

SkyCaddie SX400
OGIO Silencer:  Followed by Arccos
:ping-small: G410+, Tensei Orange
:callaway-small:  Mavrik 3w, Evenflow Riptide
:nike-small: Covert 2.0 3H, Kuro Kage Black
:wilson-small:
Wilson D7 Irons 4-GW,  Dynamic Gold AMT
:ping-small: Glide  52, 56 ES
:EVNROLL: ER2
:titelist-small: -ProV1x (left dash)

Romans 10:9

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yup. Everyone has gotten caught up in the low launch/low spin hype but for most golfers they need the opposite of something in between. Many don’t realize spin is their friend to help get and keep the

I think I am in on the TSI3/Autoflex. I'll take all the hype please. 

For whatever reason the last few years I've lost all back spin. My prior gamer was only getting me 1200rpm on average. This got my spin up to 2300 with a 14 degree launch and 145mph ball speed. Carrie

Posted Images

I’m wanting to try out the Tsi and the G425 with the new speeder shaft. Seems intriguing. 

• Like 3

P790s/M5 Driver/F9 3wood/F9 hybrid/MG2 wedges/Ardmore putter

4 minutes ago, JohnSmalls said:

The mizzy and G425 are on the radar but coming from the TXG fellas and Matty replacing freaky deaky with the TSi so quickly; it's in pole position for me.  While autoflex is intriguing, I feel like I wouldn't be consistent with it.   Since this is still dream-land I'm going with Tensei Pro White 1k.  

TSi2 is a great club. It was nearly as good as the TM for me. The TM just won on spin consistency.   On average, they both got me about 2200 rpm, the TM did it +- 150 over 10. The TSI2 did it with +-300rpm over 10. Everything else was basically the same # wise. I haven't gamed a TM driver in over a decade, and it has almost been 20 years since I got my first Burner Bubble 😃

• Like 2

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: SIM2 Max 12° - Accra TZ6 M4

FW Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 17.5° - Fujikura Pro

Utility:    :cobra-small: King Forged 20.5° Utility - Catalyst X

Irons:   image.png.cbfb2d938ea45d82004d9bdeb23cf643.pngD7 Forged GW-5i - Recoils

Wedges:   :callaway-small:  Mac Daddy Forged 52° , 56°

Putter:   :taylormade-small: MySpider X

Cart: image.png.5aa5e9b8c0d6e08a2b12be76a06a07ca.pngOnewheel XR+

2 hours ago, Thin2win said:

TSi2 is a great club. It was nearly as good as the TM for me. The TM just won on spin consistency.   On average, they both got me about 2200 rpm, the TM did it +- 150 over 10. The TSI2 did it with +-300rpm over 10. Everything else was basically the same # wise. I haven't gamed a TM driver in over a decade, and it has almost been 20 years since I got my first Burner Bubble 😃

Man I wish I could have seen what all the bubble shaft hype was first hand!

• Like 2

2020 MGS Hard Rock Challenge

SkyCaddie SX400
OGIO Silencer:  Followed by Arccos
:ping-small: G410+, Tensei Orange
:callaway-small:  Mavrik 3w, Evenflow Riptide
:nike-small: Covert 2.0 3H, Kuro Kage Black
:wilson-small:
Wilson D7 Irons 4-GW,  Dynamic Gold AMT
:ping-small: Glide  52, 56 ES
:EVNROLL: ER2
:titelist-small: -ProV1x (left dash)

Romans 10:9

I've hit the first five poll choices, and the Cobra....A LOT! G425 was the winner in my testing. The rest of them can just fight it out in the court of public opinion after that, cant they?

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2020 Hogan VKTR+ 18* Tester

Driver- Epic Max LS Tour AD-HD 6S

3W- Sim2 Max Atmos TS Blue 6S

5W- Epic Max Mitsubishi MMT 7S

4H- Apex 21 MMT 7S

5-AW- Miura CB-301 $-Taper Blackouts 120 S

Wedges- Vokey 56*/60*

Flatty- Scotty Cameron Phantom X6, Tour Stability Shaft 34"

Ball- Pro V1X

Bag- Vessel Players III 14-way Stand bag 

The Tsi. Hottest driver in tour. I might as well give it a shot

• Like 3

:titelist-small: TS3 9.5 Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.0

:titelist-small: TS3 15.5 3W Fuji Speeder Tour Spec

:titelist-small: 818 H1 19deg Hybrid Fuji Atmos White or King Cobra UT 18.5 with KBS C Taper

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 4-GW Nippon Modus 120s

:vokey-small: SM7 54 and 58deg Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex stiff

:odyssey-small:  Double Wide Stroke Lab 2019 with Super Stroke Tour 3.0

:Snell: MTB-X Golf Ball or Vice Pro Plus

:ping-small: Hoofer Stand Bag

:CaddyTek: V8 3 Wheel Push Cart

Leupod Gx2i3 Rangefinder

I'm looking for a new driver now. I plan to hit all of them, Ping, TM, CAll, Srixon, Titleist and cobra. Already hit Ping Max & SFT and loved both of them. I think the SFT was a little better for me, but I will hit them again. Next up on the list is Titleist.  

• Like 2

ping.png.7c5862342023c35b77c4616604806e90.png Driver: 425LST w / KBS TD60 X-Stiff

callaway-golf-vector-logo.png.493ab23d387785f73cfea313e1af01a6.png 3-Wood: Callaway Rogue

596048109_ScreenShot2021-02-28at3_28_30PM.png.6dfa8b67ed327055667700b4ef19afd1.png Sub70 699Pro: 5&6 Irons w/ Aldila NV Graphite Shaft - Stiff - 1/2" short

596048109_ScreenShot2021-02-28at3_28_30PM.png.6dfa8b67ed327055667700b4ef19afd1.png Sub70 639CB: 7-PW w/ Aldila NV Graphite Shaft - Stiff - 1/2" short

596048109_ScreenShot2021-02-28at3_28_30PM.png.6dfa8b67ed327055667700b4ef19afd1.pngHybrid - 939X: with Proforce V2 Stiff

1884238425_Titleistlogo.png.90c97c2fbcb19171e8ef7dc60bee0fc4.pngSM7 50* & 56*

167032231_GELlogo.jpeg.060ddfab800aed4c79ddd5d4ccc47ee0.jpegPutter: OPAL

vicegolf_logo.png.26dae2f1802c046450d6ce62d44baf39.png VICE - Pro Plus

Based on the original question, I'm intrugued by the TM Sim2. The hype surrounding the TSi1 is also interesting and I'll go hit the both. I played Cobra for quite awhile through F7 but I'm historically a Ping guy and game a G400 now so the G425 will be on my list when they make it to used sales location at $300 or so.

Sent from my SM-G950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 2

Srixon ZX5 w/PX HZRDUS Smoke Green 70 in 6.5. 

• Like 3

Sun Mountain 4.5 LS 14-way / Cobra F9 PX HZRDUS Black 65 6.5 / Srixon Z F85 PX HZRDUS Black 75 6.5 / Srixon Z H85 19* MCA Tensei CK Pro White 90 TX / SRIXON Z965 4-PW DG TI X100 / Cleveland RTX-4 50,54,60 DG TI S400 / Cleveland 2016 HB #1

21 hours ago, JDHolmes said:

Based on the original question, I'm intrugued by the TM Sim2. The hype surrounding the TSi1 is also interesting and I'll go hit the both. I played Cobra for quite awhile through F7 but I'm historically a Ping guy and game a G400 now so the G425 will be on my list when they make it to used sales location at $300 or so.

Sent from my SM-G950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Since G400 Max are selling on the bay for between $275 and just shy of $350 lately (depending on condition); I expect it to be QUITE awhile before you can sniff a G425 for anywhere close to $300.  Unless your "or so" equates to $100+

• Like 1

I'm decidedly brand agnostic -- In my Datrek - DG Lite II cart bag attached via Top-Lok to my image.png.77fe07cbfea697deca64bd4a4263a151.png - Quad XL:

:ping-small: - G400 Max 10.5 - Graphite Design Tour AD DI 5 R

:titelist-small: - TS2 4W - Graphite Design Tour AD DI 6 RS TS2 7W - Alta CB 65 R

:cobra-small:- Baffler 23* - Aldila NV-HL 65 R

th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg - Original Series 0211 - 5-PW - MMT 80 S

:cleveland-small: - CBX2 50 / 54 / 58 - Rotex

image.png.49fcc172a1ed0010d930fbe1c5dc8b79.png - Directed Force 2.1 (Nickel) - KBS Tour - Press No. II 3*

:Snell:- MTB  Black

Tracked by Shot Scope V2

On 2/19/2021 at 2:40 PM, JohnSmalls said:

Man I wish I could have seen what all the bubble shaft hype was first hand!

EVERYONE had to have a bubble burner.  That was a crazy time!  I look at pictures now and think, man that thing was ugly... but we all played it none the less! I was managing a golf shop and by far we sold the mess outta them.  Between those and the Big Bertha's.  🤣

• Like 1

BNewt51

:taylormade-small:  9* Sim  Hzrdus Smoke "Yellow" Handcrafted 6.5  (Best borrow I've ever made from a buddy)

:callaway-small:Epic Flash - 14* 3-wood Mitsubishi Tensei Blue X-stiff

:titelist-small: TSI2 19* Hybrid Tensei Blue X-Stiff

:taylormade-small: -P770 4-PW KBS C-Taper 120 S 

:taylormade-small: - 50* , 54* and 58* MG2 Wedges  Dynamic Gold Tour S200

:scotty-cameron-1: - Tour Select Square Back

:taylormade-small: - Taylormade Flextech Bag (Blue and Grey)

:taylormade-small: - TP5 and TP5 Pix 

Bushnell Tour V-4 - Non-Slope edition 🙁

*King of taking (borrowing) all my club ***** friends clubs after they've discarded them after a couple months! 🤣

On 2/19/2021 at 3:14 PM, Shank Aaron said:

I've hit the first five poll choices, and the Cobra....A LOT! G425 was the winner in my testing. The rest of them can just fight it out in the court of public opinion after that, cant they?

Hands down, the G425 was the the straightest and most consistent in spin numbers for me as well.  The others performed well, but distance is relative.  Straight, well that is not!  

• Like 2

BNewt51

:taylormade-small:  9* Sim  Hzrdus Smoke "Yellow" Handcrafted 6.5  (Best borrow I've ever made from a buddy)

*King of taking (borrowing) all my club ***** friends clubs after they've discarded them after a couple months! 🤣

7 minutes ago, BNewton51 said:

EVERYONE had to have a bubble burner.  That was a crazy time!  I look at pictures now and think, man that thing was ugly... but we all played it none the less! I was managing a golf shop and by far we sold the mess outta them.  Between those and the Big Bertha's.  🤣

The burner bubble was my first non hand me down driver. I loved it something fierce. 

• Like 1

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: SIM2 Max 12° - Accra TZ6 M4

FW Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 17.5° - Fujikura Pro

Utility:    :cobra-small: King Forged 20.5° Utility - Catalyst X

Irons:   image.png.cbfb2d938ea45d82004d9bdeb23cf643.pngD7 Forged GW-5i - Recoils

Wedges:   :callaway-small:  Mac Daddy Forged 52° , 56°

Putter:   :taylormade-small: MySpider X

Cart: image.png.5aa5e9b8c0d6e08a2b12be76a06a07ca.pngOnewheel XR+

On 2/2/2021 at 12:55 PM, Thin2win said:

So who has won the early hype war for you? IE, if you got a free driver delivered in the mail tomorrow, which one would you want it to be(and which shaft? please say autoflex)

Perhaps I am in the minority on this one, but I just don't get the Autoflex... I know I know... I may be missing something.  But A. The price is just ridiculous... and B. There are so many great shafts out there for far less price wise that produce great numbers that I just can't justify playing that outrageous amount of money for that shaft.  BUT, as I said, that's just me.... I may be wrong on this one.  

G425 with the Tensei Orange Raw on order simply because distances are ALL about the same in my testings amongst all the new drivers (There really isn't anything on the market head wise that's gonna hit it further - Shafts are about all that can make a difference), but the dispersion of the Ping is outrageously straight and grouping within 10-15 yards.  PING also does an amazing job of producing a consistent spin head where you don't shoot up or down in either direction tremendously far. 

I'll take my 280 average with fairways on every shot over being able to inch out a few more yards but little to no control.  

Great question thought since the new products are out there flooding inboxes luring people to the stores left and right currently! 

• Like 2
  • Hmmm 1

BNewt51

2 minutes ago, Thin2win said:

The burner bubble was my first non hand me down driver. I loved it something fierce. 

I bought one myself when they first came out and gamed it for half a season before I was compelled to put the BB back in the bag.  That was perhaps the most revolutionary driver I think I ever played and one of the most consistent.   BUT, having said all that... the Bubble was a HOT stick!  We sold ton's of them to the point that TM was sending us free product because we were shattering sales. 

If you remember those, they also coupled them with the Burner Bubble irons... Now flash forward and think of them against today's modern day hollow clubs on the market.  Talk about technology advances. 

• Like 2

BNewt51

I’d love to see the D9 take a top billing this year. I won’t get on it but I’m always rooting for the underdog. 

My smart money is on Ping for the third year. I’ll take an LST with a Ventus blue or Tensei Orange 🍊 

• Like 2
  • PING G400 LST 8.5 Evenflow Black 65g 6.5
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Diamana FW 75 X
  • Mizuno HMB MP20 3i Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Ben Hogan PTx Combo Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • TaylorMade MG2 TW 56 & 60 Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Scotty Cameron Phantom X 11.5
  • TaylorMade TP5

Western, NY

5.7 Index

Well if the SIM is half as good as that M-6 I just started using well---- I did a trade deal on a M-6 really to benefit a friend but it really benefitted me. I tried it on a whim and loved it. even with me hitting at only 80% it is a straight cannon for me. One of the smoothest buttery feeling drivers I have ever hit. Now the shaft that fits me will be bitter dissapointment for some but it works for me. the Evenflow 45 gram R--- And I know I have made fun of the Twist face before but it works for me. In fact I nicknamed it Twisted Sister. But yep I guess it would be TM for me

• Like 2

Driver --- Honma G1-X Stock R Flex----  3W Callaway Steelhead UST Pro Force Gold 65 stiff--- 2 iron 1980 Macgregor VIP Nike R flex-------- Irons 3 thru PW 1980 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex shafts--- SW Cleveland 588 Sensicore S-400-- Putter Rusty Santa Fe Bulls Eye Fluted shaft-- Bag Old School Hoofer I had in the stash--- Goes along with my raggety persona

11 hours ago, BNewton51 said:

Perhaps I am in the minority on this one, but I just don't get the Autoflex... I know I know... I may be missing something.  But A. The price is just ridiculous... and B. There are so many great shafts out there for far less price wise that produce great numbers that I just can't justify playing that outrageous amount of money for that shaft.  BUT, as I said, that's just me.... I may be wrong on this one.  

It's one of those things for some people if that shaft helps optimize their driver 2% more then that is worth it. But many others will not want to pay that, myself included. Though if I got to hit one for free that could be fun.

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 1

:SuperSpeed: Follow My Super Speed Progress Here 

:cobra-small: Cobra Speedzone Extreme 9° Mitshubishi Tensei AV Blue 65 Stiff Flex

:taylormade-small: '07 Burner 15° Reax 50 Stiff Flex

:titelist-small: 816 H1 18° Fujikura Speeder HB 8.8 Stiff Flex

:titelist-small: 816 H1 21° Mitsubishi Diamana S+ Blue 70 Stiff Flex

:ping-small:  I500 5 - UW Red Dot Dynamic Gold S300

:Hogan: Equalizer 52° (at 54°)/ 56° (at 58°) KBS Tour V 110 Stiff Flex

:cleveland-small:  Cleveland SOFT 11S Super Stroke Mid-Slim 2.0

:ping-small: Hoofer Bag

Right Handed

4 hours ago, ejgaudette said:

Though if I got to hit one for free that could be fun.

Channeling @Golfspy_CG2and the folks at Autoflex 🙂.

Image result for channeling energy gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver | Official 2019 MGS Tester

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:ping-small: G410 Irons 4-UW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:ping-small: B61 Putter

4 hours ago, ejgaudette said:

It's one of those things for some people if that shaft helps optimize their driver 2% more then that is worth it. But many others will not want to pay that, myself included. Though if I got to hit one for free that could be fun.

yup, 100% agree.  Different strokes for different folks, but if it's free sure that would be fun!   However... the way Scott's raking his around the course lately I'd have to say that's not exactly a great look for Autoflex.  He literally looks like he doesnt have any control. 

BNewt51