The Driver Hype Wars 2021

Driver Hype war 2021  

61 members have voted

1. 1. So who has won the early hype war for you? IE, if you got a free driver delivered in the mail tomorrow, which one would you want it to be(and which shaft? please say autoflex)

• Taylormade Sim2 series
    • Titleist Tsi series
    • Callaway Epic series
    • Ping 425 series
    • Srixon z series
    • Wilson D9
    • Cobra RADspeed series
    • Mizuno ST series
    • PXG 3rd Gen series
    • Other (ie Tour Edge, Ben Hogan, Maltby, Sub 70... )

On 2/2/2021 at 12:55 PM, Thin2win said:

So who has won the early hype war for you? IE, if you got a free driver delivered in the mail tomorrow, which one would you want it to be(and which shaft? please say autoflex)

Mizuno for me.  Everyone else can fight over the hype, meanwhile Mizuno has released yet another great driver that no one cares about.

• Like 2

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Irons: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 21* and Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 Blue Ion 54*

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yup. Everyone has gotten caught up in the low launch/low spin hype but for most golfers they need the opposite of something in between. Many don’t realize spin is their friend to help get and keep the

I think I am in on the TSI3/Autoflex. I'll take all the hype please. 

For whatever reason the last few years I've lost all back spin. My prior gamer was only getting me 1200rpm on average. This got my spin up to 2300 with a 14 degree launch and 145mph ball speed. Carrie

Posted Images

34 minutes ago, BadgerGolfer said:

Mizuno for me.  Everyone else can fight over the hype, meanwhile Mizuno has released yet another great driver that no one cares about.

there's actually been some good traction with their new drivers.  I've seen a lot of write ups and youtubes with people being very complimentary.  It makes sense though that they are behind a lot of other OEM's currently because Mizuno has always focused on putting some of the finest irons on the market... but I think they're trying to broaden their appeal now. 

BNewt51

:taylormade-small:  9* Sim  Hzrdus Smoke "Yellow" Handcrafted 6.5  (Best borrow I've ever made from a buddy)

:callaway-small:Epic Flash - 14* 3-wood Mitsubishi Tensei Blue X-stiff

:titelist-small: TSI2 19* Hybrid Tensei Blue X-Stiff

:taylormade-small: -P770 4-PW KBS C-Taper 120 S 

:taylormade-small: - 50* , 54* and 58* MG2 Wedges  Dynamic Gold Tour S200

:scotty-cameron-1: - Tour Select Square Back

:taylormade-small: - Taylormade Flextech Bag (Blue and Grey)

:taylormade-small: - TP5 and TP5 Pix 

Bushnell Tour V-4 - Non-Slope edition 🙁

*King of taking (borrowing) all my club ***** friends clubs after they've discarded them after a couple months! 🤣

13 minutes ago, BNewton51 said:

there's actually been some good traction with their new drivers.  I've seen a lot of write ups and youtubes with people being very complimentary.  It makes sense though that they are behind a lot of other OEM's currently because Mizuno has always focused on putting some of the finest irons on the market... but I think they're trying to broaden their appeal now. 

From listening to the MGS podcast it sounds as if the face isn’t hot enough to compete on the main stage with the big boys but is in the second tier

• Like 1

:titelist-small: TS3 Tensei Av Raw White 65s

:titelist-small: TS3 15.5 3W Fuji Speeder Tour Spec

:titelist-small: 818 H1 19deg Hybrid Fuji Atmos White or King Cobra UT 18.5 with KBS C Taper

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 4-GW Nippon Modus 120s

:vokey-small: SM7 54 and 58deg Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex stiff

:odyssey-small:  Double Wide Stroke Lab 2019 with Super Stroke Tour 3.0

:Snell: MTB-X Golf Ball or Vice Pro Plus

:ping-small: Hoofer Stand Bag

:CaddyTek: V8 3 Wheel Push Cart

Leupod Gx2i3 Rangefinder

I play the original SIM and took a trip to the local PGA SS to try the SIM 2, G425, Mizuno ST-Z, and RadSpeed (XB and regular) with my Titleist Left Dash Pro V1. 

SIM 2 - I wish I had my Sim on hand to compare the two but that ball flight...piercing, low spin, great carry...just can get a tad wild (blame it on the shaft - Hzrdus RDX Black 60 6.5). I'd really like to try a Ventus Blue or Black with that head and see what I could create. Only think I don't like about the Sim 2 is that there is no moveable weight. Longest of the bunch and felt like Thor's hammer at impact. 

Mizuno ST-Z - no lefty demo in stock. They never received one from Mizuno. Cool beans. First world problems. SCREW YOU MIZUNO! JK I take that back. 

RadSpeed - Low launching, low spinning demon. If I played in the wind a bunch or needed to play golf in a hallway, I'd go with that. Now, they only had a 9* in the RadSpeed but man, it was hilarious launching it at 8-9* with ~1900rpm. 

RadSpeed XB - spinny, felt really light in my hands. Tried the Motore X1 in 60x and the ball just spun too much. Decent initial launch but the ball ballooned on me. Felt much better than the standard RadSpeed but it didn't look nearly as good. 

G425 - I mean, if you like playing from the fairway, then it's a great club. But if you're like me and you enjoy the occasional left rough or hard draw/hook into the right trees, stay away from the G425. This club is for folks who drink skim milk and eat cheerios for breakfast. Where's the thrill in that? It was the shortest of the bunch but if I went to a real fitting, I'd like to see some other shaft options to boost ball speed and lower spin a bit. 

They didn't have many shaft options for the Srixon ZX 5 so I passed. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Hmmm 1
  • :ping-small: G410 LST 10.5* w/ VA Composites Nemesys 65 X tipped 1/2" 
  • :ping-small: G425 LST 3W 14.5* w/ Ping Tour 75X
  • :srixon-small: ZX Utility 18* w/ Project X 6.5
  • :callaway-small: X Forged 21* w/ Tour Issue Dynamic Gold S400
  • :taylormade-small: 2020 P770 5-PW w/ Tour Issue Dynamic Gold X100
  • :ping-small: Glide 3.0 54* & 58* w/ Dynamic Gold S400
  • :ping-small: Sigma 2 Arna - 35.25"...coming soon: Evnroll ER5B
  •  Pro V1x Left Dash
  • I'm left-handed so I don't go broke buying all new clubs every week. 
47 minutes ago, RollingGreens said:

From listening to the MGS podcast it sounds as if the face isn’t hot enough to compete on the main stage with the big boys but is in the second tier

yup, i heard that as well.  That's their biggest ding, and I think PXG is finding the same right now too.  They're just not there YET with the bigger OEM's to get on that stage.  BUT.. and I do say BUT... They are trending in the right direction.  Might see them try to make a big leap here in the next few iterations. 

• Like 1

BNewt51

:taylormade-small:  9* Sim  Hzrdus Smoke "Yellow" Handcrafted 6.5  (Best borrow I've ever made from a buddy)

*King of taking (borrowing) all my club ***** friends clubs after they've discarded them after a couple months! 🤣

39 minutes ago, txgolfjunkie said:

I play the original SIM and took a trip to the local PGA SS to try the SIM 2, G425, Mizuno ST-Z, and RadSpeed (XB and regular) with my Titleist Left Dash Pro V1. 

SIM 2 - I wish I had my Sim on hand to compare the two but that ball flight...piercing, low spin, great carry...just can get a tad wild (blame it on the shaft - Hzrdus RDX Black 60 6.5). I'd really like to try a Ventus Blue or Black with that head and see what I could create. Only think I don't like about the Sim 2 is that there is no moveable weight. Longest of the bunch and felt like Thor's hammer at impact. 

Mizuno ST-Z - no lefty demo in stock. They never received one from Mizuno. Cool beans. First world problems. SCREW YOU MIZUNO! JK I take that back. 

RadSpeed - Low launching, low spinning demon. If I played in the wind a bunch or needed to play golf in a hallway, I'd go with that. Now, they only had a 9* in the RadSpeed but man, it was hilarious launching it at 8-9* with ~1900rpm. 

RadSpeed XB - spinny, felt really light in my hands. Tried the Motore X1 in 60x and the ball just spun too much. Decent initial launch but the ball ballooned on me. Felt much better than the standard RadSpeed but it didn't look nearly as good. 

G425 - I mean, if you like playing from the fairway, then it's a great club. But if you're like me and you enjoy the occasional left rough or hard draw/hook into the right trees, stay away from the G425. This club is for folks who drink skim milk and eat cheerios for breakfast. Where's the thrill in that? It was the shortest of the bunch but if I went to a real fitting, I'd like to see some other shaft options to boost ball speed and lower spin a bit. 

They didn't have many shaft options for the Srixon ZX 5 so I passed. 

Great comparisons there!  

I have a few guys I golf with that are drooling over the SIM2, but I just can't see that it's a huge jump over what we got with SIM.  Shafts are, and have been for a while, the REAL difference.  I suspect, though, that pretty much is the standard across every manufacturers clubs tbh.   

BUT, I did order the G425 though because my game could use a little less Indiana Jones and whole lot more Cheerios!  The consistency of flight and the fact that I pretty much could count on being 10-15 yards from the center of the fairway on every drive was the selling point.  However, I would agree it is a bit shorter per say with the standard stock option shafts and it surely doesn't give you that "Flashy" factor that some of the other clubs do.  

I swear, I need to move south cause snowy winters in Pennsylvania are driving me to the poor house! 🤣

• Like 2

BNewt51

30 minutes ago, BNewton51 said:

Great comparisons there!  

I have a few guys I golf with that are drooling over the SIM2, but I just can't see that it's a huge jump over what we got with SIM.  Shafts are, and have been for a while, the REAL difference.  I suspect, though, that pretty much is the standard across every manufacturers clubs tbh.   

BUT, I did order the G425 though because my game could use a little less Indiana Jones and whole lot more Cheerios!  The consistency of flight and the fact that I pretty much could count on being 10-15 yards from the center of the fairway on every drive was the selling point.  However, I would agree it is a bit shorter per say with the standard stock option shafts and it surely doesn't give you that "Flashy" factor that some of the other clubs do.  

I swear, I need to move south cause snowy winters in Pennsylvania are driving me to the poor house! 🤣

How much shorter would you say the G425 is? I am looking to demo it during the summer during a demo day event for possible purchase later in the year.

• Like 1

:titelist-small: 818 H1 19deg Hybrid Fuji Atmos White or King Cobra UT 18.5 with KBS C Taper

Leupod Gx2i3 Rangefinder

5 hours ago, BNewton51 said:

yup, 100% agree.  Different strokes for different folks, but if it's free sure that would be fun!   However... the way Scott's raking his around the course lately I'd have to say that's not exactly a great look for Autoflex.  He literally looks like he doesnt have any control. 

Yeah not the best endorsement though the guys at TXG that have done some great videos with the shaft recently did a video with his set up and agreed that some of the club choice and club weight might affect why it's not work or it might not work for him.

• Like 1

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS Review

:cobra-small: SZ Extreme 9° HZRDUS Smoke Green 60g 6.5 | :taylormade-small: '07 Burner 15° Reax 50 Stiff 

:titelist-small: 816 H1 18° Fujikura Speeder HB 8.8 Stiff | :titelist-small: 816 H1 21° Mitsubishi Diamana S+ Blue 70 Stiff

:ping-small:  I500 5 - UW Red Dot Dynamic Gold S300 | :Hogan: Equalizer 52° / 56° KBS Tour V 110 Stiff

:cleveland-small:  SOFT 11S Super Stroke Mid-Slim 2.0 | :ping-small: Hoofer Bag | :bridgestone-small: Tour BX | Right Handed

:SuperSpeed: Follow My Super Speed Progress Here 

1 hour ago, RollingGreens said:

How much shorter would you say the G425 is? I am looking to demo it during the summer during a demo day event for possible purchase later in the year.

Really not enough to make a big difference. For me it was a couple yards. The mizuno was the only one of the bunch that was appreciably shorter in testing(about 12 yards). The TSi2 and SIM2 were longest, PING right behind them. Followed by cobra, then Callaway them mizuno. 

But between the top 4, there wasn't a huge difference. The biggest differences I saw were in dispersion with PING and SIM2 out in front. 

• Like 1

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: SIM2 Max 12° - Accra TZ6 M4

FW Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 17.5° - Fujikura Pro

Utility:    :cobra-small: King Forged 20.5° Utility - Catalyst X

Irons:   image.png.cbfb2d938ea45d82004d9bdeb23cf643.pngD7 Forged GW-5i - Recoils

Wedges:   :callaway-small:  Mac Daddy Forged 52° , 56°

Putter:   :taylormade-small: MySpider X

Cart: image.png.5aa5e9b8c0d6e08a2b12be76a06a07ca.pngOnewheel XR+

2 hours ago, RollingGreens said:

At most 5-7 yards really.. its not huge but you can see its slightly shorter.

BNewt51

35 minutes ago, Thin2win said:

Really not enough to make a big difference. For me it was a couple yards. The mizuno was the only one of the bunch that was appreciably shorter in testing(about 12 yards). The TSi2 and SIM2 were longest, PING right behind them. Followed by cobra, then Callaway them mizuno. 

But between the top 4, there wasn't a huge difference. The biggest differences I saw were in dispersion with PING and SIM2 out in front. 

Would you say the TSi2 and G425 were similar?

32 minutes ago, BNewton51 said:

At most 5-7 yards really.. its not huge but you can see its slightly shorter.

Would both of you guys say it was as straight as advertised?

• Like 1

Leupod Gx2i3 Rangefinder

3 minutes ago, RollingGreens said:

i don't know what @Thin2win would say, but as for me I think it may just be one of the straightest and EASIEST to hit straight drivers I've hit in a LONG time!!  The thing is just flat out a fairway finder with full swings.  No need to ease into it or slow the swing to get that fairway finder.  I did hit the TSi2 and I have to say that the PING definitely was an easy choice above it!  

But as I always say, to each their own.  Your swing and preferences may very well dictate something completely different.  BUT, for me with the stock shaft offerings (And I went with the Tensei Orange Raw in X-stiff) it outperformed the expectations I had going in.  Now, if I play around with the shafts I'm fairly certain I could probably get equal distance out of it to any other OEM offering, but frankly distance is relative.  I average about 275-80 anyways so I don't need another 15-20 at the sacrifice of accuracy.  

I'll be very interested to hear your impressions though. 

• Like 1

BNewt51

Biggest hype from the outside seems to be TSI series and SIM 2. 

Usually by this point of the year, i would have at least hit everything to get a feel for it.  This is an off year for the driver for me as I got the Mavrik last year paired with a Ventus Blue shaft, it's been really great for me and given me a lot of confidence.   Also, I am getting back from an injury so have not been able to give them a quick try at the local Golf Galaxy.

I don't have much brand loyalty to anyone.  Even though Taylormade is incredibly long, I found the M2 to be unforgiving for me so I do have that notion a bit.   That also was not fit for me so the shaft could have been way off so I do take that into account.

Obviously for being a part of MGS the past few years, I've tried the G400 and G410 and just haven't gotten along with them much for whatever reason.

Again most of these are only first impressions and not a full fitting.  The Mavrik was fit for me, but I was at a Callaway demo day for that one so no other drivers were really considered.

• Like 1

Driver:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngMavrik Sub Zero 9* (Set to 10) Ventus Blue 6X

2 Hybrid: :titelist-small: 818 H2 Hybrid Tensei Blue 80 X

3 Hybrid: :titelist-small: 818H2 Fujikura Atmos TS Blue 8X

4 Iron - Srixon ZX 23* Recoil F5

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: MP 18 SC Dynamic Gold AMT X

Gap/Sand Wedge:  :titelist-small: Vokey SM6 49*  SM8 54* 

Lob Wedge:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngJaws 5 Wedge 58* DG Tour Issue Stiff

Putter:  image.png.cca2328f4144a299c795aa9b8f3bf677.png Inovai 6.0              :scotty-small: Pro Platinum Newport 2 35"  

34 minutes ago, BNewton51 said:

i don't know what @Thin2win would say, but as for me I think it may just be one of the straightest and EASIEST to hit straight drivers I've hit in a LONG time!!  The thing is just flat out a fairway finder with full swings.  No need to ease into it or slow the swing to get that fairway finder.  I did hit the TSi2 and I have to say that the PING definitely was an easy choice above it!  

But as I always say, to each their own.  Your swing and preferences may very well dictate something completely different.  BUT, for me with the stock shaft offerings (And I went with the Tensei Orange Raw in X-stiff) it outperformed the expectations I had going in.  Now, if I play around with the shafts I'm fairly certain I could probably get equal distance out of it to any other OEM offering, but frankly distance is relative.  I average about 275-80 anyways so I don't need another 15-20 at the sacrifice of accuracy.  

I'll be very interested to hear your impressions though. 

I’m giving my TS3 1-2 once the season start to see how things go. It it isn’t working out I’ll be headed for a fitting

• Like 1

Leupod Gx2i3 Rangefinder

31 minutes ago, RollingGreens said:

Biggest difference between TSi2 and G425.. The sound and feel. 

I've had the G400 Max for the last 4 years, and the G30 before it. And Ping drivers sound like Ping drivers. They don't bother me, but they don't have the sound and feel of the drivers that use some composite. 

The TSi2 was a little longer, but that was because I was getting a little more spin out of it. As mentioned, I'm a very low spin player and needed as much spin as possible. I started with 10.5 heads and the fitter had me in 12* heads almost immediately. So fitting me is a driver that is fade biased and high spin. I get that that is a unique combination so my results are definitely good for me, but unless you are also a low spin draw ball flight guy... I might not be the best comparison. 

I would guess that if I was a high spin fade player the Callaway and cobra would have been the best based on their spin(or lack thereof) and slight draw bias. 

The TSi2 was top of my hype meter, and I think the overall hype on it is deserved. 

I only wish the fitter had an auto flex for me to try. Lol. 

• Like 2

WITB:

Irons:   image.png.cbfb2d938ea45d82004d9bdeb23cf643.pngD7 Forged GW-5i - Recoils

Looks like Callaway had won the coveted MGS Most Wanted. 

Definitely a club low on the meter of people excited to try. But I did say that if you needed less spin and more help VS a fade it might be the best driver. So I got that right (self pat on the back). 

TSI2 showed strong. Cobra continued their tradition of finishing 2nd or 3rd but never winning. 

Looking at the actual strokes gained numbers... The difference between the best and worst driver is .1429 strokes gained, so 1 full stroke every 7 hits, or about 2 strokes a round if I am doing that right. 

While the difference between the Callaway and Cobra means it is going to take 5.29 rounds to find 1 stroke of difference. 

Math says they are all pretty good, and getting fit seems to be the right answer (shocking I know). 

• Like 1

WITB:

Yep, just finally looked at the MGS Most Wanted list. I'm not as surprised at the Cally winning top spot as I am that the Ping offerings finished so low. Since I'm a Callaway guy, this does fit well into my devious plans for domination this season, but the G425 Max will still find it's way into the bag randomly. I stick with my original comment on page #2, G425 performed the best for me with the shaft I built for it. The rest can fight it out....I vote they fight with knives. 

• Like 2

Shanks 2021 WITB

O.B. Finder- Cally Epic Speed LS 🔹🔹🔹 Tour AD-HD 6S

3W- Sim2 Max Tensei Blue 7S

5W- Epic Max MMT 7S -OR- 2H- Ping G425 Max Nemesys 8S

4H- Apex 21 MMT 8S

5-AW- Miura CB-301 $-Taper 120S Blackout -OR- 5-AW- Apex 21 $-Taper 120S Blackout

SW/LW- Ping Glide Forged 54/58

Flat One- Scotty Phantom X6 Tour Stability Shaft

Pro V1X

Vessel Players III 

Though I probably wouldn't buy one myself, if given an option to get one for free I'd probably look at the Sim2 based upon all of the hype. Shaft would be either a Project X (not sure which) or UST Mamiya since those are the ones I know and have in my bag already.

th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg Gen1 0811X 12° driver w/Project X Evenflow Blue 55g shaft
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg KE4 TC 16° 4 wood w/Kuro Kage Black 60g shaft

:srixon-small: Z355 22° 7 wood w/Miyazaki Jinsoku shaft
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg KE4 TC 19° 3 hybrid w/UST Proforce V2 Black shaft
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg KE4 TC 22° 4 hybrid w/UST Proforce V2 Black shaft

:tour-edge: HL E521 25° 5 hybrid w/Fubuki HD55 shaft

post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg Sti2 6 iron w/UST Recoil 660 graphite shaft
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg KE4 Tour+ irons 7-GW w/UST Competition Series graphite shafts

post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg M-Series+ 56° wedge w/UST Recoil 660 graphite shaft
:cleveland-small:  Huntington Beach Soft Premier 10.5