TESTERS WANTED! ×

The Still Aceless Thread

fixyurdivot

Well I hit 3 of 4 today.  One of them a bird, 8 iron to within 3 feet. The rest were pars. Strong winds again today. I feel sunburnt but it`s all wind burn.

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

20 hours ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

Tomorrow is another day and another 4 tries. 

... Brother from another mother. Story of my non HIO life. Backed up a 7 iron and hit the flag stick at Tanglewood in NC and hit the stick head on several times of course bouncing off. But the cruelest trick from the Golf Gods was flying a 9 iron in the hole several weeks ago only to have it jump back out and sit a few inches away. Considering I play 5 times a week that's 960 par 3's a year and counting ...

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

7 minutes ago, chisag said:

... Brother from another mother. Story of my non HIO life. Backed up a 7 iron and hit the flag stick at Tanglewood in NC and hit the stick head on several times of course bouncing off. But the cruelest trick from the Golf Gods was flying a 9 iron in the hole several weeks ago only to have it jump back out and sit a few inches away. Considering I play 5 times a week that's 960 par 3's a year and counting ...

I don't know where to start. But backing up a 7 iron, impressive. I can't back up squat. Everything just sits. But I'm ok with that. Playing 5 times a week. Dam, I played yesterday and today and I'm pooped. But holeing a 9 iron and having it come back out. I'd still be crying. 

I've come to the conclusion that I have to play other courses to get mine. Two of the par threes are 164 yards and the other two are 176 yards. Then add in the wind. I'm freaking happy I hit the green. A hold out would just be luck.  Thats the one disappointment at my club. All par 3's use the same club. The 164's play up hill slightly and the 176's play slight down hill.

I'm at the base of the mountain directly over the mountain separating the TN side from from Asheville  NC. Mountain course with small greens, undulations, and quick greens. Fun to play, but I've played it for 16 years. 

Well at least I am in good company with you and Chisag----- I think I have documented this before-- In all the years playing this game I have never had a HIO on a regulation course.

Now the old par 3 course that was part of the course my old man ran believe it or not I had 198 no joke. But I played that thing from when I was 5 years old until I was like 17. The longest hole was 98 yards and over the years I played it with everything between a cut down 5 iron to a 60* wedge. But as some will tell you I probably had more rounds on that thing than anyone alive. LOL I never played the regulation course until I was like 14 years old

Tom knows this place up the street from me at Tupelo Bay on the Par 3 course I have had 5. I think the longest hole there is like 102 yards. The other course they own Harbour View on the North end I had 2 in the same night on the same 9 holes. It was a Wednesday shootout night where everyone threw $20 in the pot and winner take all. We also had side bets and side team bets. At one time that was one of the action spots here on the beach. Had all the local Mini Tour players, club pros and hot shot college and high school players from both NC and SC in it. Yep usually about 50 players or more in it. That night I did win the big pot plus we had a separate team pot plus some side action. Yeah DJ even played in it when he was at CCU. My partner and myself always split winnings and I think we split like $1200 that night. Now days that thing has petered out but I heard it may be starting up some at the Aero Club Par 3 on the south side of MB

But as some suggested I may have used all my luck on the Par 3 courses over the years

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

3 hours ago, chisag said:

Man played quite a few rounds at Tanglewood back in the day--- That and Rock Barn in Hickory were sorta our get out of Charlotte for the weekend 1 weekend a month. Then we got hooked up with Foxfire down in Hoffman NC by Pinehurst---- Yeah you mentioning Tanglewood brought back some memories. 

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

5 minutes ago, BIG STU said:

believe it or not I had 198 no joke

... 198 hio's?!? Get the he!! off this thread!!!! 🤢

3 hours ago, chisag said:

I still cannot believe you're aceless...

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

8 hours ago, chisag said:

... 198 hio's?!? Get the he!! off this thread!!!! 🤢

Yeah but remember they are on straight up holes with no gimmicks of less than 100 yards. Basically wedge hole outs and quite a few worm burner ground pounder 5 irons too..  But like I said none ever on a real course with Par 3s more than 110 yards. 

G

8 hours ago, chisag said:

... Thanks and especially since my cousin that has never broken 100 has 4 of them. 🤣

And my wife has one and she rarely plays---- She made one in the 9 and dine last year from 120 with a worm burner driver. LOL we won that one. Her luck was with her that day. She holed out an eagle on a par 5 that same day from about 75 yards out with a worm burner hybrid. 

G

18 hours ago, BIG STU said:

Now the old par 3 course that was part of the course my old man ran believe it or not I had 198 no joke. But I played that thing from when I was 5 years old until I was like 17.

That's still an unbelieveable number of aces.  I don't know what the other guys think, but it seems like we ought to give you an "Honorary Ace" badge 🙂.

Yesterday, while using the practice chipping area at Las Barancas (they have two with greens that allow 100 yard shots), I had an ace from 90 yards.  It landed behind the cup and rolled back in... trending 🥳.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

2 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

That's still an unbelieveable number of aces.

... I have not had that many hio's playing miniature golf.  

23 hours ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

I don't know where to start. But backing up a 7 iron, impressive. I can't back up squat. Everything just sits. But I'm ok with that. Playing 5 times a week. Dam, I played yesterday and today and I'm pooped. But holeing a 9 iron and having it come back out. I'd still be crying. 

I've come to the conclusion that I have to play other courses to get mine. Two of the par threes are 164 yards and the other two are 176 yards. Then add in the wind. I'm freaking happy I hit the green. A hold out would just be luck.  Thats the one disappointment at my club. All par 3's use the same club. The 164's play up hill slightly and the 176's play slight down hill.

I hate it when all the par 3's are the same club, and usually it's always a long club for me.

I also hate the way my course sets up our hole #12.  From the Blue tees it plays 150 yards... no matter whether it's a Red flag, White flag or Blue flag.  They move the tees up when they move the flag back and move tees back when they move the flag up. 

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

22 hours ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

I'm at the base of the mountain directly over the mountain separating the TN side from from Asheville  NC. Mountain course with small greens, undulations, and quick greens. Fun to play, but I've played it for 16 years. 

The only course I've played in your area was Twin Creeks, and that was a long time ago... not a very exciting course.  I just remember a lot straight holes.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

14 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

The only course I've played in your area was Twin Creeks, and that was a long time ago... not a very exciting course.  I just remember a lot straight holes.

Twin Creeks is about 20 minutes from me and I played it twice. So, twice in 16 years it tells you what I think of it. Andrew Johnson GC is about 10 minutes. The layout is good but the conditions are not. Tee boxes are usually beat up and the greens putt like a shag carpet would. The best public course in the area is Graysburg Hills. It's about 45 minutes away. Three 9's, good conditions and good layouts. Also the most expensive. $42 with a cart on weekends and $37 during the week. Walking is $26 and $21 respectively. I play that one about once a year. 

• 1 month later...

This is the closest I have gotten.   Hole 16 on the now torn down Karsten Golf Course at ASU.  Was playing in a best ball tournament.  5 iron into the hole and it landed short of the pin and was rolling right at it, then took a left turn, guys that just finished the hole waited for us to get there to tell me that the damn thing lipped out.  Hole was playing 205 yards that day IIRC.

I have had many in the 3-4 ft range, but this is the one that got away.

close.jpg

Keep swinging - JC

Driver: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg 0811 XF (9°)

Wood(s): th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg 0341 XF (7w)

Irons:  :Hogan: PTxPro 4-PW

Wedges:   :Hogan: Equalizer II (56°, 60°)

Putter:  :ping-small: Zing Bronze

Ball:  image.png.5e3f3d4f8b31082a6504dff683a91313.png Tour X

On 4/25/2022 at 1:18 PM, Joel C said:

This is the closest I have gotten.   Hole 16 on the now torn down Karsten Golf Course at ASU.  Was playing in a best ball tournament.  5 iron into the hole and it landed short of the pin and was rolling right at it, then took a left turn, guys that just finished the hole waited for us to get there to tell me that the damn thing lipped out.  Hole was playing 205 yards that day IIRC.

I have had many in the 3-4 ft range, but this is the one that got away.

close.jpg

Nice "close encounter" Joel!  👏  Getting these at distances we mortals typically have a hard time just getting on the green are even better.  

• 4 weeks later...

At this point, I don't want any more close calls. If it's not going in, don't ********* tease me. I lipped a 9 iron out tonight from 142. I think there were too many witnesses. My most spectacular shots have been when playing alone. 

Moose, my cat, is Siamese

21 hours ago, Siamese Moose said:

At this point, I don't want any more close calls. If it's not going in, don't ********* tease me. I lipped a 9 iron out tonight from 142. I think there were too many witnesses. My most spectacular shots have been when playing alone. 

Did you remember to take a picture of your "still aceless" teaser?  Keep in mind that this thread serves as group therapy.  "Hello, my name is Siamese Moose and I am still aceless".... or, if you prefer... "I have been aceless for 27 years and 4 months".🤣

12 hours ago, Thin2win said:

Still part of the team,  I'll check back in in 3 holes.

20220524_171431.jpg.70d3c59a17103bf5d94ccee4493219ca.jpg

Hey, that's a respectable entry that would likely earn you .25 at the PNW Meet-up 🙂. Which course and what hole?

1 hour ago, fixyurdivot said:

Hey, that's a respectable entry that would likely earn you .25 at the PNW Meet-up 🙂. Which course and what hole?

Wandermere, #2 , 156y

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: SIM2 Max 12° - Accra TZ6 M4

FW Wood:     th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg Gen5 0311 7w  Fujikura Motore X F3

Irons:   :srixon-small: ZX7 PW-7i, ZX5 6i-5i

Wedges: :cleveland-small:  Zipcore 50°, 58°

Putter:   :taylormade-small: MySpider X

Cart: image.png.5aa5e9b8c0d6e08a2b12be76a06a07ca.pngOnewheel XR+

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond/ Z-Star XV

5 minutes ago, Thin2win said:

Wandermere, #2 , 156y

That course looks nice!

On 3/20/2022 at 3:27 PM, chisag said:

... I play the same course all winter because it is an awesome course to begin with, great views of the mountains, always in good shape but most importantly it is $24 to walk at twilite. Considering many courses in Phoenix charge anywhere from $150-450 a round I have no desire to play anywhere else. Late spring, summer and early fall all those $150-450 courses can be played for under $50 though it is usually 107*-117*. Funny but after walking 5 days in a row I am usually happy to take Saturday off but by Sunday I wish I were playing again so at least it keeps me fresh. When I spent the winter out here to see if I wanted to move permanently I played 102 out of 110 days and was really ready for a break. 

... Plenty of days like you with wind or difficult pin placements that would make a HIO lucky if I even took on the flag but quite a few days where everything is set up for a HIO and I would not consider it luck when I am aiming at there flag ( you too). I know these greens and the distances so no excuse. Now I have 2 Albatross playing in the mountains of Ashville NC and those were most definitely all luck as I was over 250 out, landed short, rolled on and in the hole. I was most definitely not aiming at the flag and just trying to put a good swing on the ball and maybe get on the green. The irony is I saw neither of them. First one we could not see the half of the green with the flag but the guys in their carts back up on the hill screamed and cheered. The second also was blocked from view with a tier on the green and we washed it roll on and when we got there no ball. WE looked long and just in case off the sides before my pard said "Did you look in the hole?" I walked up to take a peek and figured maybe the guys in front or some kids stole my ball but there it was. So maybe the Golf Gods figure my account is already paid in full. 

... This is my Aguila, my muni and 6 minutes from my house:

291811396_Aguila222222.jpg.02e573b680fe146a0edb898589af679c.jpg1229202786_Aguila22222.JPG.b18fd8ac179136800592d9d23928215c.JPG1073600293_Aguila15.JPG.2a3fda70db10148a6281f409c9dcb070.JPG579864520_AguilaMountains.JPG.734ff8294c9e431276335054fe521a56.JPG

Aguila is fun little course...I'm on the other side of South Mountain and with the new 202 open the west valley golf has opened up to me where before it didnt make sense to drive 45+ minutes around S. Mountain when I can play the Foothills or Ahwatukee GC  and be home in 10 minutes.   

Keep swinging - JC

Driver: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg 0811 XF (9°)

Wood(s): th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg 0341 XF (7w)

Irons:  :Hogan: PTxPro 4-PW

Wedges:   :Hogan: Equalizer II (56°, 60°)

Putter:  :ping-small: Zing Bronze

Ball:  image.png.5e3f3d4f8b31082a6504dff683a91313.png Tour X

4 minutes ago, Joel C said:

Aguila is fun little course

... Haha  😉   we must be talking about a different Aguila because there is nothing "little" about playing 6300yds with 409,412,426 and 439 par 4's all uphill off the tee. One par 4 at 430 is at least downhill if you can get it out there 240+ but those five par 4's are all tough loooong holes. And 7089 from the tips is crazy long for a muni.  

17 hours ago, chisag said:

... Haha  😉   we must be talking about a different Aguila because there is nothing "little" about playing 6300yds with 409,412,426 and 439 par 4's all uphill off the tee. One par 4 at 430 is at least downhill if you can get it out there 240+ but those five par 4's are all tough loooong holes. And 7089 from the tips is crazy long for a muni.  

It must be a bruiser as we've not seen any close encounters from you... or did you just not opt to have a "Hole in One" badge? 🤔🙂

I am just now discovering this thread and I can't... I want to break a club from the vicarious emotions alone. The amount of heartbreak is palpable in here.

Of course, now I have to follow the thread as a guilty pleasure 😆. Like watching a train wreck, I can't turn away!

Driver:     :cobra-small: LTDx Max 10.5°, MCG C6 Red 50 R

Wood:     :cobra-small: LTDx Max 3W 15.5°, MCG C6 Red 50 R

Hybrid:     :titleist-small: TS2 4H 23°; 5H 25°, Mitsubishi Kuro Kage Black 60 Graphite Regular

Irons:       :cobra-small: LTD (5-9); :Fuji: Vista PRO 60i R

Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 - 54.11 (56°), :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 - 60.10; :Fuji: Vista PRO 60i R

Putter:      :odyssey-small: White Hot Pro 1 / :odyssey-small: 2-Ball Ten Armlock

Bag:         :taylormade-small: Supreme Cart Bag 2022

Balls:      :maxfli: Tour

Reviews: Spornia SPG8 XL Net (Official), Me and My Golf Full Body Freedom (Unofficial), Club Champion Full Bag Fitting (Unofficial), Gravity Caddy (Unofficial)