TESTERS WANTED! ×

Question for Snell Players

TR1PTIK

I just started testing the MTB-Black and MTB-X against my gamer. One thing I noticed during my first round was the MTB-X appeared to have a lower trajectory. I've looked at various reviews/tests and Snell marketing, but have yet to see anything to indicate that there should really be much difference (in trajectory) between the two at all. Anyone else notice a significant difference? 

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

I haven't played the Black since two seasons ago, so my memory is foggy about the trajectory. I do remember playing the original MTB Red for a few rounds and found that to be spinny and balloon compared to the original MTB (which I now think is the Black). I believe the X was a response to the feedback about the poor wind performance of the Red.

Obviously the X is firmer. Lower spin off the driver for me, and of all the balls I've played since getting back into the game, I think it's the longest off the tee as well. Lower spin = lower trajectory? Not that I've noticed but it's been a while since I've played anything other than Z-Star XV or MTB-X.

If I remember correctly, TXG found the two to play very, very close for Matt's swing.

Unofficial WHS Handicap: 7.5 / Anti-Cap: 13.0 (Last Updated Feb. 19, 2024)

Driver: callaway_logo.png.3dd18aa65544000dd0ea3901697a8261.png Callaway Paradym TD (10.5°, -1/N), 45.75", Fujikura Motore X F1 6X | Fitting Post
3 Wood: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra RadSpeed Big Tour (14.5°), 43", Fujikura Motore X F1 7X
20° Hybrid: PXG_Logo.png.8401024d1fb8aec46f0e790c1aa5b80c.png PXG 0211 (2020 Model), 40.25", Mitsubishi Tensei AV RAW White 90X
4 Utility: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra KING Utility (2020 Model), 38.5", Aerotech SteelFiber i110cw Stiff
5-PW:
logo-Ben-Hogan-large.png.98d743ae5487285c6406a1e30a0a63b5.png Ben Hogan PTx Pro, 37" 7 Iron, Aerotech SteelFiber i125cw Stiff | Club Champion Fitting
50°, 54°, 58°:
231036130_Edel_Golf_Logo_v2_grandecopy.png.13cc76b963f8dd59f06d04b1e8df2827.png Edel SMS, V Grind, Nippon Modus 125 Wedge| Official Review Thread
Putter:
image.png.49fcc172a1ed0010d930fbe1c5dc8b79.png L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1, 36", 68°, Black with Custom Sightlines, BGT Stability Tour, L.A.B. Press II 3° | Unofficial Review
Grips: 
stargrip.png.4285948f41f1409613266e7803f0bbaa.png Star Sidewinder, Undersized with Custom Tape Build-Up
Ball: :Snell:Snell MTB-X Optic Yellow

Tracked By: shotscope.png.4a7089f2bddff325285b1266a61dda03.png  Shot Scope H4
Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Personalized 2020 Sun Mountain Sync
Riding On: 
image.png.1db52ce91db040317a9ac580f1df8de8.pngBag Boy Nitron | Official Review Thread

WITB? | 2022 Reviewer Edel SMS Wedges | 2021 Reviewer Maxfli Tour and Tour X Balls2020 Participant #CobraConnect Challenge | 2019 Reviewer Callaway Epic Flash Driver

I switched to the MTB-X last year: I also bought the test pack to see if I’d like the X or the black. The black was softer and had more spin for me. It also seemed to launch higher but that might just be from the spin loft I create by hitting down on my irons. I chose the X mostly for having less spin off the driver.
Check out this from the boys at TXG:

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Driver - Cobra LtDxLS

3 Wood - Ping g410 LST

2iron - Titleist U505

Irons - Ping i59

Wedges - Vokey Sm9

Putter - Mizuno Mcraft IV

3 hours ago, edingc said:

I haven't played the Black since two seasons ago, so my memory is foggy about the trajectory. I do remember playing the original MTB Red for a few rounds and found that to be spinny and balloon compared to the original MTB (which I now think is the Black). I believe the X was a response to the feedback about the poor wind performance of the Red.

Obviously the X is firmer. Lower spin off the driver for me, and of all the balls I've played since getting back into the game, I think it's the longest off the tee as well. Lower spin = lower trajectory? Not that I've noticed but it's been a while since I've played anything other than Z-Star XV or MTB-X.

If I remember correctly, TXG found the two to play very, very close for Matt's swing.

Yeah that's what I noticed when I watched it. Could be a difference in swings/strikes between the two balls or I could just be making it up and there really is no difference at all, but I figured I'd ask.

2 hours ago, Micah T said:

I switched to the MTB-X last year: I also bought the test pack to see if I’d like the X or the black. The black was softer and had more spin for me. It also seemed to launch higher but that might just be from the spin loft I create by hitting down on my irons. I chose the X mostly for having less spin off the driver.
Check out this from the boys at TXG:

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

I've watched their review and looked at a few others as well as some stuff here on MGS including a video with Dean himself. He never talks about different trajectories and nothing else I've seen suggests there should be, but I felt like I was seeing the Black launch appreciably higher (off driver mostly) compared to the X. I was worried the X would feel too firm, but I really get along with it quite well. I plan to play several more rounds before making a final decision, but the X seemed to work very well for me in all aspects of my game the first time out.

The Black launches higher for me but I always equate that to the higher spin

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

:callaway-small: XR Driver Matrix Ozik 8m3 Black Tie Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

PXG 0211 DC 5-PW Mitsubishi MMT 80 Shafts

:cleveland-small: RTX ZIPCORE 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 2.0 grip

:Snell: MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

10 hours ago, TBT said:

The Black launches higher for me but I always equate that to the higher spin

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

And that's what I'm confused about because the Black is supposed to be the lower spinning ball off irons and wedges - driver spin is intended to be pretty much the same. The lower compression of the Black would indicate lower spin as well.

I played the black in 2019 for a while before switching to the X which is the only ball I've played since the start of 2020. I did not notice any launch differences between the two FWIW. I did notice a bit higher spin from the X across the whole bag (possibly too high for some off the tee - YMMV).

I liked the feel of the black, but I usually prefer a firmer feel, and think they've dialed it in 1000% better in the X than they had it in the Red (which was no bueno on looks + feel + performance). 

I don't think it's the perfect ball, but when I'm buying in bulk at $27 per dozen and supporting a small business in my native MA, they're plenty good enough for me.

Driver:  :titelist-small: TSi 3 10* w/ Graphite Design AD IZ 7X 

Fairway/Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSi 2 15* & 18* w/ Graphite Design AD IZ 7X, AD IZ 95X

Irons: :taylormade-small: P790 4i, P770 5-7i, P7MC 8-P, $ Taper 120

Wedges:  :vokey-small: SM7 52F/54 S, 58 M w/ Modus 125

Putter:  :cameron-small:  California Hollywood 34" Circle H

The MTB X is designed to be firmer and slightly higher iron spin than the MTB Black, the difference in driver spin is negligible by design. That’s how they play to me, and consistent with online objective comparisons I’ve seen. If you’re getting more spin with Blacks vs X it’s likely it’s not the ball? 

I’ve been playing Snell exclusively since 2017 beginning with the original MTB, now I play Blacks. I tried a dozen Reds in 2018 (too much spin) and just finishing off two dozen MTB-X’s. I’m going back to the MTB Black ASAP (I don’t need or want more spin and prefer a little less firm, Blacks are by no means soft, just a tick softer than X).

https://www.snellgolf.com/blogs/news/introducing-the-2019-snell-golf-mtb-lineup

F0F9B546-2A5A-415C-A144-DDD2255DF0C9.jpeg

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, FJ DryJoys

Also from MGS Ball Study of MTB-X:

Snell classifies the MTB-X as a mid-launch ball. It’s the higher spinning of Snell’s urethane offerings. It’s a three-piece ball with a 360-dimple, cast-urethane cover.

https://mygolfspy.com/snell-mtb-x-golf-ball-review/

• Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1

1 hour ago, Middler said:

I’ve been playing Snell exclusively since 2017 beginning with the original MTB, now I play Blacks. I tried a dozen Reds in 2018 (too much spin) and just finishing off two dozen MTB-X’s. I’m going back to the MTB Black ASAP (I don’t need or want more spin and prefer a little less firm, Blacks are by no means soft, just a tick softer than X).

I don't really need more spin either which is why I have some concerns about the X, but also liked the flight I was getting in my first outing with it so wanted to see what others had experienced. I'm surprised to find that I do like the firmer feel as well, but a ball that spins too much is definitely not something I want. The testing and experimenting continues...

18 minutes ago, TR1PTIK said:

I don't really need more spin either which is why I have some concerns about the X, but also liked the flight I was getting in my first outing with it so wanted to see what others had experienced. I'm surprised to find that I do like the firmer feel as well, but a ball that spins too much is definitely not something I want. The testing and experimenting continues...

Dean Snell recommends the MTB Black for you, based on the ball in your sig line.

• Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1

4 minutes ago, Middler said:

Dean Snell recommends the MTB Black for you, based on the ball in your sig line.

The only reason I play the XS currently is because of feel preference. It's a spinny ball as well and I've absolutely ripped it off greens before. From that perspective the Black would seem a good fit, but I really wasn't impressed the first time out.

I've also gamed the Black in the past for a full season and thought it was just ok. There wasn't anything that really wowed me about it other than the price. I just need some more time with both balls before making a final decision. Wouldn't hurt if I could get on Trackman either. There are a few places around me where I could do that so I'm not just making a determination based on feel or perceived differences, but have some hard data to go off of.

Like I said before, I was mostly interested in hearing what others have personally experienced with the trajectory between the two balls.

I did a sim session this past week with the MTBX and I will probably be doing another simulator session in a couple weeks. I will take a sleeve of the Black & the X with me next time to compare numbers.

Modern Bag:  :ping-small: G410 LST 10.5*, Hzrdus Smoke RDX 6.5 Flex;   :titelist-small:  915F 3w, Diamana S+ 70 S flex;  Snake Eyes 18* 2h, 23* 4h & 27* 5h; :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 6 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Edison 2.0 49*, 53*, 57* KBS Tour 120 S;   :ping-small:  Heppler Fetch;  Ball - :Snell: MTB-X; Bag - Jones MyGolfSpy Edition! 

Shot Scope H4, MG600 Rangefinder

Classic Bag:  Driver - :wilson_staff_small: Persimmon; 3w - :Hogan: Speed Slot; 5w - :wilson_staff_small: Tour Block; 3 - pw - :wilson_staff_small: Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

16 hours ago, TR1PTIK said:

Like I said before, I was mostly interested in hearing what others have personally experienced with the trajectory between the two balls.

That’s what I thought I did...

• Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1

I've been playing the Snell ball for about 5 years and have never noticed any difference in ball flight.

Ping G430 Driver, 19° Hybrid, Ping Anser 23° Hybrid, Mizuno 923 Hot Metal 6-GW, Ping 54°&58° Glides, Scotty Cameron 5.5

1 hour ago, Middler said:

That’s what I thought I did...

You did in your first response and I truly appreciate that. Thank you.

• 3 weeks later...

I've been playing the MTB Black for about a year now, love the ball but at a 18 handicap, I'm wondering if I should try the Get Sum ball.

• Driver:  TaylorMade M6
  • 3 Wood:  TaylorMade M2
  • Hybrid:  Cobra F7 3/4
  • Irons:  Callaway X2 Hot 5-PW - True Temper Speed Step 85 R-Flex Shaft
  • S Wedge:  TaylorMade ATV 50* - KBS FST Shaft
  • 60*/56* Wedges:  Cleveland RTX 588 Rotex 2.0 - True Temper Dynamic Gold Shaft
  • Putter:  TaylorMade Spider X
  • Ball:  Snell MTB Black

41 minutes ago, WR3 said:

I've been playing the MTB Black for about a year now, love the ball but at a 18 handicap, I'm wondering if I should try the Get Sum ball.

If you love the MTB Black, I doubt you will like the Get Sum better.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

9 hours ago, WR3 said:

I mean if you're losing multiple balls per round, I get it. Otherwise... The ball doesn't know (or even care) what your handicap is. Why should handicap factor into the decision at all?

10 hours ago, WR3 said:

Since my buds know I only play Snell, I was given two found Get Sum’s. In the past I’ve thrown them out but I played these two just to see what they’re like. My experience was as expected, they go just as far but they don’t spin as much with irons. If you rely on checking the ball up greenside you’re giving up something with the Get Sum’s. But if your stock approach includes some run out, like many lower swing speed players, Get Sum’s should work well enough. I didn’t notice much difference in feel, not ‘like hitting a rock’ as with some 2-piece balls, but I only played two balls. FWIW

• Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1

The snell MTB-x for me plays very similar to a ProV1. No significant higher launching. Great spin around the green. I do feel that it compresses well when struck in the sweet spot

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 Plus 9deg Kai' li Red

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 13deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 15deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 4-PW Nippon Modus 120s

:vokey-small: SM8 54 and 58deg Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex

:titleist-small: Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Titleist ProV1

:ping-small: Hoofer Stand Bag

Stewart Q Follow Electric Caddie

:callaway-small: 300 PRO Rangefinder

Official Nippon Regio B+ Driver Shaft Review

Official Stewart Q Follow Review

The more I try new balls the more I realize a lot of these tests vary depending on the golfer. I play both the X and Black. I’ve noticed more stop and drop with the black. It feels like it compresses a lot more off the driver but haven’t seen a lost in distance. The X I still really love but I don’t really see the extra spin. I like the sound of the black on my putter better and probably will go to that one more full time I think. 

if you want a crap ton of spin, grab the Kirkland Costco ball... holy smokes, I was playing the Lee Trevino hole at the Stadium Course the other day and ripped it back about 25 feet. 

@Airjenks Welcome to the group -- you're correct that the tests are very much golf dependent.  None of us hit the ball the same way and none of us should expect the ball the respond the same way as it does for someone else.  You have to find the ball that you like and play it.  With regards to the Kirkland ball -- which one?  Like many "store-brand" products, the manufacturer changes with the best bid.  The Costco Kirkland ball is no exception -- for various reasons, the manufacturing of that ball changed, not only by who was doing the manufacturing, but the design of the ball, as well.  The original balls were exceptional.  The newer ones not so much, although I do know some really good golfers that play them, not so much for the performance, but more-so because of the value.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

On 2/4/2021 at 3:32 PM, TR1PTIK said:

I just started testing the MTB-Black and MTB-X against my gamer. One thing I noticed during my first round was the MTB-X appeared to have a lower trajectory. I've looked at various reviews/tests and Snell marketing, but have yet to see anything to indicate that there should really be much difference (in trajectory) between the two at all. Anyone else notice a significant difference? 

Richard, I play the MTB-X on the regular, MTB-Black spins less, MTB-X spins more, it flies pretty standard to the Prov-1. The Black is firmer than the X.

Driver:   TaylorMade Qi10 MAX - 8.5 with Fujikura Speeder NX TCS 50  (secondary shaft HRDZ Black 6.0 Stiff)
3 -Wood:  Sub70 949x 3 Wood 15 with Hrdz RDX Black Stiff
5-Wood:  Sub70 949x 5 Wood with Hrdz RDX Black stiff
4-Hybrid: Sub70 949x 4 Hybrid with Project X 5.5 Hybrid Stiff
Irons: Mizuno Pro 225 - 6-PW , w/Nippon Modus 105 Stiff
Wedges: Sub70 TAIII w/Nippon Modus 105 Stiff - 50 ,56, 60
Putter: L.A.B Mezz1, 34 in
Balls: MaxFli Tour X, TaylorMade Tour Response, TaylorMade TPx 
GPS:   Shot Scope X5 with Tracking

TESTED: SUB70 949X 5 Wood
TESTED: NIPPO N.S. Regio Formula MB+ 65 Stiff.
TESTED: SkyCaddie LX5 GPS Watch
TESTED: Bag Boy ZFT Bag

35 minutes ago, MrBandit said:

Richard, I play the MTB-X on the regular, MTB-Black spins less, MTB-X spins more, it flies pretty standard to the Prov-1. The Black is firmer than the X.

Nope. The MTB-X does spin a little more than the Black but the MTB-X is also firmer than the MTB. I’ve played dozens of both but don’t take my word for it - Snell and MGS confirm.

On 2/5/2021 at 1:54 PM, Middler said:

The MTB X is designed to be firmer and slightly higher iron spin than the MTB Black, the difference in driver spin is negligible by design. That’s how they play to me, and consistent with online objective comparisons I’ve seen. If you’re getting more spin with Blacks vs X it’s likely it’s not the ball? 

https://www.snellgolf.com/blogs/news/introducing-the-2019-snell-golf-mtb-lineup

F0F9B546-2A5A-415C-A144-DDD2255DF0C9.jpeg

BCADE48F-5FDF-4C07-9E29-7F7FDAF27783.jpeg

• Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1

4 hours ago, Middler said:

Nope. The MTB-X does spin a little more than the Black but the MTB-X is also firmer than the MTB. I’ve played dozens of both but don’t take my word for it - Snell and MGS confirm.

LOL!! I guess to me the Black feels firmer than the X..  but is a damn good ball.. 

Moral of the story.. you can't go wrong with either one.. so stop playing the Top Flight Gamers.. 🤣

Driver:   TaylorMade Qi10 MAX - 8.5 with Fujikura Speeder NX TCS 50  (secondary shaft HRDZ Black 6.0 Stiff)
3 -Wood:  Sub70 949x 3 Wood 15 with Hrdz RDX Black Stiff
5-Wood:  Sub70 949x 5 Wood with Hrdz RDX Black stiff
4-Hybrid: Sub70 949x 4 Hybrid with Project X 5.5 Hybrid Stiff
Irons: Mizuno Pro 225 - 6-PW , w/Nippon Modus 105 Stiff
Wedges: Sub70 TAIII w/Nippon Modus 105 Stiff - 50 ,56, 60
Putter: L.A.B Mezz1, 34 in
Balls: MaxFli Tour X, TaylorMade Tour Response, TaylorMade TPx 
GPS:   Shot Scope X5 with Tracking

TESTED: SUB70 949X 5 Wood
TESTED: NIPPO N.S. Regio Formula MB+ 65 Stiff.
TESTED: SkyCaddie LX5 GPS Watch
TESTED: Bag Boy ZFT Bag

13 hours ago, MrBandit said:

LOL!! I guess to me the Black feels firmer than the X..  but is a damn good ball.. 

Moral of the story.. you can't go wrong with either one.. so stop playing the Top Flight Gamers.. 🤣

Yeah, I think at this point I've settled on the MTB-X. I was worried about how the extra spin might impact the short game, but it's really been a predictable ball.

After getting a few more rounds in, it's definitely become more clear that both balls share a similar trajectory as well so my original question about that has certainly been put to rest.

Now to work through the current stock of golf balls I have - MTB-Black, MTB-X, Bridgestone XS, and prior-gen Vice Pro.

5 hours ago, TR1PTIK said:

Yeah, I think at this point I've settled on the MTB-X. I was worried about how the extra spin might impact the short game, but it's really been a predictable ball.

After getting a few more rounds in, it's definitely become more clear that both balls share a similar trajectory as well so my original question about that has certainly been put to rest.

Now to work through the current stock of golf balls I have - MTB-Black, MTB-X, Bridgestone XS, and prior-gen Vice Pro.

I still have five 3-sleeves of MTB-X's that I wish I didn’t have, but I'm too cheap to give them away, even though the last thing I need in winter is a very firm ball (like the MTB-X). Can't wait to break out my MTB-Black's again...

• Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1

I have been digging the MTB-X this winter in most my rounds. What i love the most is all the greenside control. i can pretty well predict my touch shots. Bump and runs on the other hand are hit and miss due to the firmness and the cold.

Follow my journey to enjoying golf and going low

Driver: :callaway-small:   Epic Max LS :Fuji:Ventus Black 6x 44.5" 

3wHL: :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS 75x  Tensei AV Blue w/ xlink

7w: :callaway-small:Apex UW 21* MMT 80S

DI: Caley 01X 18* with KBS PGH Stiff plus 95g

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long, Soft stepped, MOI matched

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore 

Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 69*/35" in blue 

Ball:  TBD

Shot Tracking: :ShotScope:

Bag: Vessel VLX 2.0

Grip: Lamkin Sonar +  Midsize 

My Reviews:

Caley 01X Driving Iron Review 2023

Max Swing Speed Training and Speed Progress: Current Speed 120 in the MGS Speed Challenge (updated 3/15/23)

:1332069271_TommyArmour:TAIII #2  Review here: TAIII Impact #2 Putter )

:cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)

th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  2019 Unofficial Review