Question for Snell Players

TR1PTIK

I just started testing the MTB-Black and MTB-X against my gamer. One thing I noticed during my first round was the MTB-X appeared to have a lower trajectory. I've looked at various reviews/tests and Snell marketing, but have yet to see anything to indicate that there should really be much difference (in trajectory) between the two at all. Anyone else notice a significant difference? 

• Like 4

Driver: Mizuno ST190 9.5* Aldila RIP Alpha 60 S
Fairway Wood: Mizuno ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hyrbrid: Mizuno CLK 19* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: Bridgestone J40 CB (4-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: Bridgestone Tour B XW-1 50*, 54*, & 58* Nippon Modus 3 105
Putter: Cleveland Huntington Beach SOFT Premier 4 34"
Ball: Snell MTB-X
Bag: 2017 Titleist Players 5 Stand Bag

I haven't played the Black since two seasons ago, so my memory is foggy about the trajectory. I do remember playing the original MTB Red for a few rounds and found that to be spinny and balloon compared to the original MTB (which I now think is the Black). I believe the X was a response to the feedback about the poor wind performance of the Red.

Obviously the X is firmer. Lower spin off the driver for me, and of all the balls I've played since getting back into the game, I think it's the longest off the tee as well. Lower spin = lower trajectory? Not that I've noticed but it's been a while since I've played anything other than Z-Star XV or MTB-X.

If I remember correctly, TXG found the two to play very, very close for Matt's swing.

• Like 6

Unofficial WHS Handicap: 8.2 (Last Updated July 30, 2021)

Driver: callaway_logo.png.3dd18aa65544000dd0ea3901697a8261.png Callaway Epic Max LS (9°), 45.75", Dumina AutoFlex SF505X | Unofficial AutoFlex Review
17° Hybrid:
callaway_logo.png.3dd18aa65544000dd0ea3901697a8261.png Callaway Super Hybrid, 41.5", Mitsubishi MMT Hybrid 80 TX
18.5° Driving Iron: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra KING Utility (2016 Model), 39.5", Mitsubishi MMT Utility 105 TX
21° Hybrid:
callaway_logo.png.3dd18aa65544000dd0ea3901697a8261.png Callaway Epic Flash, 40", Mitsubishi MMT Hybrid 80 TX
4-AW:  
Sub70_Logo_WhtBlk.jpg.aee386374adf9afd31a02b989c839f9d.jpg Sub70 699 (4-6)/699 Pro (7-AW) Combo Set, 1° Flat, 37" 7 Iron, Mitsubishi MMT Taper 105 TX | Build Thread
54°, 58°:
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra KING MIM Black, 1° Flat, 35.5", 35.25", Mitsubishi MMT Wedge 105 TX | #CobraConnect Review
Putter:
image.png.49fcc172a1ed0010d930fbe1c5dc8b79.png L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1, 36", 68°, Black with Custom Sightlines, BGT Stability Tour, L.A.B. Press II 3° | Unofficial Review
Grips: 
lamkin.png.5081890e009ae78e16066ee0fd18b7c0.png Lamkin Sonar Tour
Ball: :Snell:Snell MTB-X Optic Yellow

Tracked By: :Arccos: Arccos | #CobraConnect Review
Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Personalized 2020 Sun Mountain Sync
Riding On: :CaddyTek: CaddyTek Caddylite EZ V8 | Unofficial Review

WITB? | 2021 Reviewer Maxfli Tour and Tour X Balls2020 Participant #CobraConnect Challenge | 2019 Reviewer Callaway Epic Flash Driver

I switched to the MTB-X last year: I also bought the test pack to see if I’d like the X or the black. The black was softer and had more spin for me. It also seemed to launch higher but that might just be from the spin loft I create by hitting down on my irons. I chose the X mostly for having less spin off the driver.
Check out this from the boys at TXG:

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy
  • Like 5

24CC2B3B-0E46-4165-97D1-F1CA4C5041C8.png

3 hours ago, edingc said:

I haven't played the Black since two seasons ago, so my memory is foggy about the trajectory. I do remember playing the original MTB Red for a few rounds and found that to be spinny and balloon compared to the original MTB (which I now think is the Black). I believe the X was a response to the feedback about the poor wind performance of the Red.

Obviously the X is firmer. Lower spin off the driver for me, and of all the balls I've played since getting back into the game, I think it's the longest off the tee as well. Lower spin = lower trajectory? Not that I've noticed but it's been a while since I've played anything other than Z-Star XV or MTB-X.

If I remember correctly, TXG found the two to play very, very close for Matt's swing.

Yeah that's what I noticed when I watched it. Could be a difference in swings/strikes between the two balls or I could just be making it up and there really is no difference at all, but I figured I'd ask.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Micah T said:

I switched to the MTB-X last year: I also bought the test pack to see if I’d like the X or the black. The black was softer and had more spin for me. It also seemed to launch higher but that might just be from the spin loft I create by hitting down on my irons. I chose the X mostly for having less spin off the driver.
Check out this from the boys at TXG:

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

I've watched their review and looked at a few others as well as some stuff here on MGS including a video with Dean himself. He never talks about different trajectories and nothing else I've seen suggests there should be, but I felt like I was seeing the Black launch appreciably higher (off driver mostly) compared to the X. I was worried the X would feel too firm, but I really get along with it quite well. I plan to play several more rounds before making a final decision, but the X seemed to work very well for me in all aspects of my game the first time out.

• Like 3

The Black launches higher for me but I always equate that to the higher spin

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

• Like 5

:cobra-small: King F7+ UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 6F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:cobra-small: King PuR Wedges 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 3.0 grip

Arccos Generation 1 Sensors on all clubs

Snell MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

10 hours ago, TBT said:

The Black launches higher for me but I always equate that to the higher spin

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

And that's what I'm confused about because the Black is supposed to be the lower spinning ball off irons and wedges - driver spin is intended to be pretty much the same. The lower compression of the Black would indicate lower spin as well.

• Like 3

I played the black in 2019 for a while before switching to the X which is the only ball I've played since the start of 2020. I did not notice any launch differences between the two FWIW. I did notice a bit higher spin from the X across the whole bag (possibly too high for some off the tee - YMMV).

I liked the feel of the black, but I usually prefer a firmer feel, and think they've dialed it in 1000% better in the X than they had it in the Red (which was no bueno on looks + feel + performance). 

I don't think it's the perfect ball, but when I'm buying in bulk at $27 per dozen and supporting a small business in my native MA, they're plenty good enough for me.

• Like 6

Driver:  :titelist-small: TSi 3 10* w/ Graphite Design AD IZ 7X 

Fairway: :titelist-small: TSi 2 15* w/ Graphite Design AD IX 7X

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSi2* 17* w/ Atmos Blue 85x  

Utility: :ping-small: i500 3i (19*) w/ MMT 125tx

Irons: :cobra-small: Forged Tec Black 4i, King Forged CB 5-GW w/ KBS $ Taper 130

Wedges:  :vokey-small: SM7 54 S, 58 M w/ Modus 125

Putter:  :cameron-small:  California Hollywood 34" Circle H

The MTB X is designed to be firmer and slightly higher iron spin than the MTB Black, the difference in driver spin is negligible by design. That’s how they play to me, and consistent with online objective comparisons I’ve seen. If you’re getting more spin with Blacks vs X it’s likely it’s not the ball? 

I’ve been playing Snell exclusively since 2017 beginning with the original MTB, now I play Blacks. I tried a dozen Reds in 2018 (too much spin) and just finishing off two dozen MTB-X’s. I’m going back to the MTB Black ASAP (I don’t need or want more spin and prefer a little less firm, Blacks are by no means soft, just a tick softer than X).

https://www.snellgolf.com/blogs/news/introducing-the-2019-snell-golf-mtb-lineup

F0F9B546-2A5A-415C-A144-DDD2255DF0C9.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Callaway Rogue 10.5° & 3W
  • Mizuno CLK 3H 19°, JPX900 Forged 4-GW, S18 56.10, S18 60.06
  • Evnroll ER5B (replaced ER2)
  • Snell MTB-Black
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT

Also from MGS Ball Study of MTB-X:

Snell classifies the MTB-X as a mid-launch ball. It’s the higher spinning of Snell’s urethane offerings. It’s a three-piece ball with a 360-dimple, cast-urethane cover.

https://mygolfspy.com/snell-mtb-x-golf-ball-review/

• Like 2
  • Snell MTB-Black

1 hour ago, Middler said:

I’ve been playing Snell exclusively since 2017 beginning with the original MTB, now I play Blacks. I tried a dozen Reds in 2018 (too much spin) and just finishing off two dozen MTB-X’s. I’m going back to the MTB Black ASAP (I don’t need or want more spin and prefer a little less firm, Blacks are by no means soft, just a tick softer than X).

I don't really need more spin either which is why I have some concerns about the X, but also liked the flight I was getting in my first outing with it so wanted to see what others had experienced. I'm surprised to find that I do like the firmer feel as well, but a ball that spins too much is definitely not something I want. The testing and experimenting continues...

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, TR1PTIK said:

I don't really need more spin either which is why I have some concerns about the X, but also liked the flight I was getting in my first outing with it so wanted to see what others had experienced. I'm surprised to find that I do like the firmer feel as well, but a ball that spins too much is definitely not something I want. The testing and experimenting continues...

Dean Snell recommends the MTB Black for you, based on the ball in your sig line.

• Snell MTB-Black

4 minutes ago, Middler said:

Dean Snell recommends the MTB Black for you, based on the ball in your sig line.

The only reason I play the XS currently is because of feel preference. It's a spinny ball as well and I've absolutely ripped it off greens before. From that perspective the Black would seem a good fit, but I really wasn't impressed the first time out.

I've also gamed the Black in the past for a full season and thought it was just ok. There wasn't anything that really wowed me about it other than the price. I just need some more time with both balls before making a final decision. Wouldn't hurt if I could get on Trackman either. There are a few places around me where I could do that so I'm not just making a determination based on feel or perceived differences, but have some hard data to go off of.

Like I said before, I was mostly interested in hearing what others have personally experienced with the trajectory between the two balls.

• Like 1

I did a sim session this past week with the MTBX and I will probably be doing another simulator session in a couple weeks. I will take a sleeve of the Black & the X with me next time to compare numbers.

• Like 2

Modern Bag:  Ping G410+ 9*, Accra TourZ X265 M5;  Snake Eyes 18* & 23* Hybrids; Golfsmith Tour Cavity Forged 3i;  Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 5 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Cleveland Tour Action 49*, 53*, 57*; PX LZ 6.5 ;  Ping Heppler Fetch;  Ball - Snell MTB-X; Bag - Sun Mountain H2NO 

Classic Bag:  Driver - Wilson Staff Persimmon; 3w - Hogan Speed Slot; 5w - Wilson Staff Tour Block; 3 - pw - Staff Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

16 hours ago, TR1PTIK said:

Like I said before, I was mostly interested in hearing what others have personally experienced with the trajectory between the two balls.

That’s what I thought I did...

• Snell MTB-Black

I've been playing the Snell ball for about 5 years and have never noticed any difference in ball flight.

• Like 3

Ping G410, 10.5 5.5 Evenflow , Ping G425 5 wood/ Ping Anser 20 degree hybrid/ Srixon ZX5, 5-PW/ Ping Glide 50,54, & 58ES/ Bettinardi Queen B

1 hour ago, Middler said:

That’s what I thought I did...

You did in your first response and I truly appreciate that. Thank you.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I've been playing the MTB Black for about a year now, love the ball but at a 18 handicap, I'm wondering if I should try the Get Sum ball.

• Like 1
  • Driver:  TaylorMade M6
  • 3 Wood:  TaylorMade M2
  • Hybrid:  Cobra F7 3/4
  • Irons:  Callaway X2 Hot 5-PW - True Temper Speed Step 85 R-Flex Shaft
  • S Wedge:  TaylorMade ATV 50* - KBS FST Shaft
  • 60*/56* Wedges:  Cleveland RTX 588 Rotex 2.0 - True Temper Dynamic Gold Shaft
  • Putter:  TaylorMade Spider X
  • Ball:  Snell MTB Black

41 minutes ago, WR3 said:

I've been playing the MTB Black for about a year now, love the ball but at a 18 handicap, I'm wondering if I should try the Get Sum ball.

If you love the MTB Black, I doubt you will like the Get Sum better.

• Like 4

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

9 hours ago, WR3 said:

I mean if you're losing multiple balls per round, I get it. Otherwise... The ball doesn't know (or even care) what your handicap is. Why should handicap factor into the decision at all?

• Like 3