Are wedges with long shafts more difficult to use for full shots?

Timmytoe

I know that they'd be more difficult to use for pitch shots because the lenght would make it harder to do these but how about if you used them for full shots?

I was planning on getting a set of single lenght irons that are 39" inches but if the wedges will be difficult to use then I'll get a smaller lenght, maybe 38"

Edited by Timmytoe

All my wedges are the same length 36" which is the stock length of my PW this was mainly because I felt  the 56 and 60 were too short and I felt uncomfortable over the ball. This of courses adds maybe about 5 yds onto a full shot with the clubs.

Are these custom or Cobra clubs?

39" is about the length of a 5i! Your club head speed will be 10 to 15 mph faster for a full swing this will add quite a bit off distance to the wedges. My main concern would be to get them gapped correctly.

Couple of other points. Swing weight should be fairly consistent across the set but normally the wedges have a higher SW to give you more feel around the green. My Z565s are D2 and my 56' wedge is D5 this is something to consider. Also there are some grip manufacturers (Lamkin) that do longer grips for wedges. It is normally only 1/2" but can help to grip down for chipping.

WIMB

Driver Callaway Epic 10.5' Fujikura Stiff

3W Callaway Epic 15' Fujikura Stiff

3-AW Srixon Z565 Nippon Stiff

52', 56' Cleveland RTX 585 Wedges

Putter Taylormade Rosa Daytona

Bags 2017 Callaway Org14 Cart bag or 2018 Srixon Z start Carry bag 

I know that they'd be more difficult to use for pitch and chip shots because the lenght would make it harder to do these but how about if you used them for full shots?

I was planning on getting a set of single lenght irons that are 39" inches but if the wedges will be difficult to use then I'll get a smaller lenght, maybe 38"

Single length clubs/wedges are designed to be the length they are and to be used for full and partial shots. The Prior post is a bit incorrect, If you are using clubs that were designed as single length the weighting, swing weight, and distances (you may still need to fine tune )has been accounted for. I would advise against making your own set or modifying a non set club to be single
Length.

The second thing is you have to learn how to hit them. Just like normal length clubs, you can choke down on them to attempt different type shots.

Also you don’t have to use the single length strategy through the wedges; you can leave them at tradtional length.

Golf is about scoring and not what your set makeup looks like. Pick the clubs that enable you to perform to your best.
  • Like 4

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 5-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:  logo-horizontal-black.svg Directed Force 2.1

Backups:  :taylormade-small:TM-180, :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, Bellum Winmore 787, :seemore-small: mFGP2,

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Longer clubs in general are going to be a little more challenging. I would strongly suggest you see a fitter if you plan on playing going with single length. The hardest part about long wedges is likely the faster swing speed and how much spin you will be putting on the ball. I don't know what loft of wedges you're looking at but get some launch monitor data would be important to make sure the wedges fit. I know this is a little vague and isn't necessarily the answer your looking for, but the correct answer is to see a fitter.