TESTERS WANTED! ×

Ventus users chime in...

bens197

On 2/13/2021 at 9:36 AM, cjeffs12 said:

I have been considering trying the pro 2.0ts or the pro ts, to help the swing weight. I can’t get away from my Ventus it’s just so good at my strike location and dispersion. 

Hzrdus RTX Blue would be my suggestion. Project X counterbalanced solution to Ventus with Velocore. 

Taylormade M5 Driver

Cobra F9 3 Wood

Srixon ZX5 4-6 Iron

Srixon ZX7 7-PW

Taylormade MG2 Wedges 50/55/60

Taylormade Spider X Putter

On 2/6/2021 at 1:49 PM, bens197 said:

I'm not a big data driven guy but I see the value, especially when it costs over $300...I've got a good grasp on what my numbers are from prior fittings so I believe I would have a good basis on going Blue.  My only concern would be do I choose a stiff or X.  When I was fit for my hzrdus, I couldn't turn over a 6.5 but I currently play a 6.5 Even Flow Black.

The demo will be worth the time and effort so we'll see...Thanks for chiming in...

The Ventus Blue was among those my TS fitter pulled for me to try, but it was not a performer for me.  Here is a picture of it along with the other driver shafts we tested.

PXL_20201216_204822880.jpg.75e931973d6b13048ea3b3b2d422f9d8.jpg

Keep in mind that fitting studio numbers don't always match on the course and range results... my case, at least so far.   

I just switched out my stock Alta CB 55S for a KBD TD 50 Cat 2 and had my first range session with it today.  After a full large bucket with the KBS, I switched back to the Alta CB and hit about half of another large bucket, then back to the KBS.  Using my SC200, I'm only seeing about 3-4 yards more average carry with the new shaft.  My two longest balls were with the KBS, and by about 12 yards, so hopefully that is an indication of potential.

Ball flight is pretty similar and I'm kind of on the fence as to whether dispersion is any better 🤔.  The TS fitting data showed almost 9 yards more carry and a wee less dispersion.  I need a little more time with is and getting use to the feel. The R flex definitely feels a tad bit softer, but no excessively so. 

I'm one who is on the borderline for many shaft mfg. "recommended flex" based on swing speed.  For those in this group, definitely ask to test shaft flex on both sides.  

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

On 2/12/2021 at 11:11 AM, cjeffs12 said:

100 percent true, it is so smooth. I actually put it back in on days where I know I don’t get to warm up, and it’s effortless. 

So those who played Tensi pro orange. Stiff to flex? Would tipping a stiff get you closer to xs and not ruin the feel? I have an opportunity for this. 

Follow my journey to enjoying golf and going low

Driver: :callaway-small:   Epic Max LS :Fuji:Ventus Black 6x 44.5" 

3wHL: :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS 75x  Tensei AV Blue w/ xlink

7w: :callaway-small:Apex UW 21* MMT 80S

DI: Caley 01X 18* with KBS PGH Stiff plus 95g

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long, Soft stepped, MOI matched

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore 

Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 69*/35" in blue 

Ball:  TBD

Shot Tracking: :ShotScope:

Bag: Vessel VLX 2.0

Grip: Lamkin Sonar +  Midsize 

My Reviews:

Caley 01X Driving Iron Review 2023

Max Swing Speed Training and Speed Progress: Current Speed 120 in the MGS Speed Challenge (updated 3/15/23)

:1332069271_TommyArmour:TAIII #2  Review here: TAIII Impact #2 Putter )

:cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)

th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  2019 Unofficial Review

2 hours ago, fixyurdivot said:

The Ventus Blue was among those my TS fitter pulled for me to try, but it was not a performer for me.  Here is a picture of it along with the other driver shafts we tested.

PXL_20201216_204822880.jpg.75e931973d6b13048ea3b3b2d422f9d8.jpg

Keep in mind that fitting studio numbers don't always match on the course and range results... my case, at least so far.   

I just switched out my stock Alta CB 55S for a KBD TD 50 Cat 2 and had my first range session with it today.  After a full large bucket with the KBS, I switched back to the Alta CB and hit about half of another large bucket, then back to the KBS.  Using my SC200, I'm only seeing about 3-4 yards more average carry with the new shaft.  My two longest balls were with the KBS, and by about 12 yards, so hopefully that is an indication of potential.

Ball flight is pretty similar and I'm kind of on the fence as to whether dispersion is any better 🤔.  The TS fitting data showed almost 9 yards more carry and a wee less dispersion.  I need a little more time with is and getting use to the feel. The R flex definitely feels a tad bit softer, but no excessively so. 

I'm one who is on the borderline for many shaft mfg. "recommended flex" based on swing speed.  For those in this group, definitely ask to test shaft flex on both sides.  

That’s a pretty narrow spread considering the price of the KBS. 

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

11 hours ago, rbsiedsc said:

So those who played Tensi pro orange. Stiff to flex? Would tipping a stiff get you closer to xs and not ruin the feel? I have an opportunity for this. 

I haven’t tried tipping before, so I wouldn’t know how it affect the feel. I would suspect it would get you close to the x flex

:taylormade-small: STEALTH 2+ 10.5* FUJIKURA VENTUS TR BLACK 6X

:srixon-small: ZX MKII 3W 15* Project X HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX U.S.A. 8TX

:taylormade-small: Stealth+ 19 Mitsubishi Tensei Pro White 1K 85TX

:srixon-small: ZX7 4-PW KBS $Taper 130 BLACK PVD

:cleveland-small: RTX 6 Zipcore 50/54.10 Full Project X 6.0

:ping-small: GLIDE 4.0 60.10S DYNAMIC GOLD TOUR ISSUE S400

:EVNROLL: ER2v MIDLOCK 40”

:maxfli: TOUR X

:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9 with Slope 

:SuperSpeed:

15 hours ago, jddaigneault said:

Hzrdus RTX Blue would be my suggestion. Project X counterbalanced solution to Ventus with Velocore. 

I heard that, I’m hoping I get to try it out. 

:taylormade-small: STEALTH 2+ 10.5* FUJIKURA VENTUS TR BLACK 6X

:srixon-small: ZX MKII 3W 15* Project X HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX U.S.A. 8TX

:taylormade-small: Stealth+ 19 Mitsubishi Tensei Pro White 1K 85TX

:srixon-small: ZX7 4-PW KBS $Taper 130 BLACK PVD

:cleveland-small: RTX 6 Zipcore 50/54.10 Full Project X 6.0

:ping-small: GLIDE 4.0 60.10S DYNAMIC GOLD TOUR ISSUE S400

:EVNROLL: ER2v MIDLOCK 40”

:maxfli: TOUR X

:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9 with Slope 

:SuperSpeed:

22 minutes ago, cjeffs12 said:

I haven’t tried tipping before, so I wouldn’t know how it affect the feel. I would suspect it would get you close to the x flex

Feel is subjective to everyone especially when comparing a smoother swing to one ebay has a quicker tempo or someone who pulls on the handle in the transition. Tipping a shaft may not impact the feel for most as the feel is more torque related than stiffness.

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

33 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Feel is subjective to everyone especially when comparing a smoother swing to one ebay has a quicker tempo or someone who pulls on the handle in the transition. Tipping a shaft may not impact the feel for most as the feel is more torque related than stiffness.

Ricky...you seem to have a pretty good grasp on the latest shaft tech.  While we are talking Tensei, could you please explain the difference between Tensei AV Raw and and CK Orange?  I've scoured the internet and cannot find a cohesive explanation.  Thx man.

• Srixon Z-Star XV 

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

4 minutes ago, bens197 said:

Ricky...you seem to have a pretty good grasp on the latest shaft tech.  While we are talking Tensei, could you please explain the difference between Tensei AV Raw and and CK Orange?  I've scoured the internet and cannot find a cohesive explanation.  Thx man.

CK Orange is simply the AV RAW without the AV Coated Weave in the butt section.  From the MCA website:

features a RAW finish that reveals the Aluminum Vapor (AV) Coated Weave in the butt section, a visible cue of the added stability this unique weave provides. Produced by coating an extremely thin and tight weave with aluminum vapor in a vacuum-sealed chamber, the AV Coated Weave reduces shaft ovaling and improve energy transfer.

So basically the new material allows them to increase stability without having to increase wall thickness (which would reduce feel and energy transfer)

9 minutes ago, bens197 said:

2 minutes ago, jlukes said:

CK Orange is simply the AV RAW without the AV Coated Weave in the butt section.  From the MCA website:

So basically the new material allows them to increase stability without having to increase wall thickness (which would reduce feel and energy transfer)

Thanks. The tensei shaft is one I don’t have much input on since it’s a version of Mitsubishi my swing didn’t get along with when testing the orange in a couple different heads.

Iirc they used the av blue as a baseline for the raw orange.

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

2 hours ago, jlukes said:

That’s crystal clear. Thx 👍🏼

• Srixon Z-Star XV 

Hi everyone,

I might have a silly one here- but Im looking at upgrading shafts for the first time and the ventus blue seems a great match for me combined with all the positive feedback. The only question I can't seem to find an answer for is in regards to the length. I need a stiffer shaft than the regular flex I've been battling with- however I want to increase accuracy and I'm wary of the fact that these shafts are 46". This seems very long; combined with the advice from fuji not to shorten it and a lack of discussion surround this am I to assume everyone is playing a 46" shaft? 

I'm quite new to golf and have no access to fittings nearby so would appreciate any help would be much appreciated. It would go on a Mavrik driver if that makes any difference, but it just seems shorter length may leadd to more accuracy, but i dont want the stiff turning into an x (I think??)

11 minutes ago, invertedforest said:

Hi everyone,

I might have a silly one here- but Im looking at upgrading shafts for the first time and the ventus blue seems a great match for me combined with all the positive feedback. The only question I can't seem to find an answer for is in regards to the length. I need a stiffer shaft than the regular flex I've been battling with- however I want to increase accuracy and I'm wary of the fact that these shafts are 46". This seems very long; combined with the advice from fuji not to shorten it and a lack of discussion surround this am I to assume everyone is playing a 46" shaft? 

I'm quite new to golf and have no access to fittings nearby so would appreciate any help would be much appreciated. It would go on a Mavrik driver if that makes any difference, but it just seems shorter length may leadd to more accuracy, but i dont want the stiff turning into an x (I think??)

Welcome aboard. 46” is the raw length. You can get these cut down to any playing length you want by a certified club fitter. 

in terms of cutting down to play stiffer, it may feel stiffer but the stiffness will be the same. 

you can use this site as a starting point on your shaft journey. 

https://s3fitting.com/try

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long, Soft stepped, MOI matched

My Reviews:

Max Swing Speed Training and Speed Progress: Current Speed 120 in the MGS Speed Challenge (updated 3/15/23)

31 minutes ago, invertedforest said:

Hi everyone,

Ignore flex for the most part. There’s not standard on flex including within a shaft company. PX hzrdus stiff will play different than the evenflow line.  Getting the right weight and shaft profile will be more beneficial.  

As for cutting down a shaft it will play stiffer if you trim the tip. Fujikura’s recommendation is to not tip trim the shaft, there are plenty who the ventus at less than the 46”

What shaft do you currently play including weight. What is your struggle and what is your typical miss.  

4 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Ignore flex for the most part. There’s not standard on flex including within a shaft company. PX hzrdus stiff will play different than the evenflow line.  Getting the right weight and shaft profile will be more beneficial.  

As for cutting down a shaft it will play stiffer if you trim the tip. Fujikura’s recommendation is to not tip trim the shaft, there are plenty who the ventus at less than the 46”

What shaft do you currently play including weight. What is your struggle and what is your typical miss.  

Thanks so much. I play the stock mavrik evenflkow 50g in regular flex. i miss straight left or right, predominately left. shot shape is pretty straight or slight draw.

thanks for the response. I've only been playing for 4 months and completely addicted but there is so much to learn! When i got the regular flex the salesperson said i was on the upper end of that flex but it would work for now- that was only a month in to playing and i've since naturally gained a lot of speed and probably 30 yards of distance so i'm assuming my clubhead speed has increased.

10 minutes ago, invertedforest said:

Thanks so much. I play the stock mavrik evenflkow 50g in regular flex. i miss straight left or right, predominately left. shot shape is pretty straight or slight draw.

thanks for the response. I've only been playing for 4 months and completely addicted but there is so much to learn! When i got the regular flex the salesperson said i was on the upper end of that flex but it would work for now- that was only a month in to playing and i've since naturally gained a lot of speed and probably 30 yards of distance so i'm assuming my clubhead speed has increased.

Ok. Speed is only one factor and not even the biggest one that goes into shaft selection. It’s one that many use because it’s general enough to start.  I would say both and increase in weight and flex would be the right move. Whether that’s in the evenflow line with the white, blue, black is a possibility and they are great shafts for smooth swingers. The ventus is going to play and feel different than the evenflow line in similar weights and flex. 

Recommending a shaft is really blind shoot for anyone on here to another person because it would be based mostly on personal experience and some on shaft knowledge. And even tinkering using the secondary market can still get expensive. Then you have to think about the head the shafts going in, possible swingweight changes based on how it was built with the shaft it came with. The head is going to have a lot to do with how the ball launches and spins and the shaft is used to dial in the numbers to optimize the ball flight.

The ventus is a great shaft for those that it fits. I’ve seen on other forums where guys used the ventus then went back to their normal shaft due to better results.

Without knowing what your launch, spin, angle of attack, peak height and descent/land angle is it would hard to say what color ventus, which weight and what flex to try if that’s the route you wanted to go. The blue in 6s would probably be the logical step from where you are at. 

• 2 months later...

Update...

I ordered a 7-X Blue from The People's Clubs a few weeks ago.  It arrived and since then I've put a few swings on it with my SIM2 3 wood.

Here's some thoughts for anyone who's also interested.

• When people say stable, they aren't kidding, there is a reason why this shaft is getting the reps that it is.  It's billed as super stable and stable it is...There are no squirrely shots.
  • My driver / 3w miss is towards the toe and for anyone who doesn't know, it causes a giant nose dive to the left.  
  • I can now play this off the toe and hit a high sweeping draw that stay within my margins, it's actually amusing to be honest.
  • Feel is stable but not soft.  I was expecting a slightly softer / rubbery feel but I wont say I am disappointed.  It's solid but most important, dispersion is tight.  Velocore is for real, bad swings offer a far better margin of error.  
  • I am pleased.  Not only did Will prep and build this super quick, the price was better than anywhere else.
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

I'm definitely looking forward to trying this shaft at some point. When I went for a driver fitting at True Spec, THEY DIDN'T HAVE IT!! How does True Spec not have VENTUS BLACK? It literally seems like it is the most popular shaft in the world of golf...and they didn't have it. I was heartbroken. 

Taylormade M5 Driver

Cobra F9 3 Wood

Srixon ZX5 4-6 Iron

Srixon ZX7 7-PW

27 minutes ago, jddaigneault said:

I'm definitely looking forward to trying this shaft at some point. When I went for a driver fitting at True Spec, THEY DIDN'T HAVE IT!! How does True Spec not have VENTUS BLACK? It literally seems like it is the most popular shaft in the world of golf...and they didn't have it. I was heartbroken. 

That's bonkers!

Hopefully you get a shot sooner than later!

• Srixon Z-Star XV 

5 minutes ago, bens197 said:

That's bonkers!

Hopefully you get a shot sooner than later!

Yeah, I was not happy. Especially when you consider the cost of a fitting there. And there "100% customer satisfaction guarantee" is BS. I was not happy I could not try that shaft. 

Taylormade M5 Driver

Cobra F9 3 Wood

Srixon ZX5 4-6 Iron

Srixon ZX7 7-PW

1 hour ago, bens197 said:

Update...

I ordered a 7-X Blue from The People's Clubs a few weeks ago.  It arrived and since then I've put a few swings on it with my SIM2 3 wood.

Here's some thoughts for anyone who's also interested.

• When people say stable, they aren't kidding, there is a reason why this shaft is getting the reps that it is.  It's billed as super stable and stable it is...There are no squirrely shots.
  • My driver / 3w miss is towards the toe and for anyone who doesn't know, it causes a giant nose dive to the left.  
  • I can now play this off the toe and hit a high sweeping draw that stay within my margins, it's actually amusing to be honest.
  • Feel is stable but not soft.  I was expecting a slightly softer / rubbery feel but I wont say I am disappointed.  It's solid but most important, dispersion is tight.  Velocore is for real, bad swings offer a far better margin of error.  
  • I am pleased.  Not only did Will prep and build this super quick, the price was better than anywhere else.

In my time with a Ventus blue my mishits stayed on the start line. The push never became a push fade 

• 3 weeks later...

I really, really like this combo...

The 7-X Blue was definitely the best fit for me in a 3 wood.  It flies high but doesn't balloon.  It's not the smoothest or the softest feeling shaft but it is the most stable I have played.  That feeling when you make a bad swing and you look up and realize you got away with one, that's what's happening.

What I am seeing more often than not is that this is a long club.  I was hoping for a 260 club and I am between 275-290 depending on firmness of the ground.  

Still a fan.

• Srixon Z-Star XV 

• 7 months later...
On 5/21/2021 at 3:21 AM, bens197 said:

The 7-X Blue was definitely the best fit for me in a 3 wood.  It flies high but doesn't balloon.  It's not the smoothest or the softest feeling shaft but it is the most stable I have played.  That feeling when you make a bad swing and you look up and realize you got away with one, that's what's happening.

What I am seeing more often than not is that this is a long club.  I was hoping for a 260 club and I am between 275-290 depending on firmness of the ground.  

Still a fan.

On 5/21/2021 at 3:21 AM, bens197 said:

Still a fan.

Hi, 

Did Will tip your 3 metal shaft? Im also interested in the same combo. 
What’s your SS?

16 hours ago, Maco said:

Hi, 

Did Will tip your 3 metal shaft? Im also interested in the same combo. 
What’s your SS?

It’s a fantastic setup.  I understand why some guys say that their 3 wood is holy grail material.  

As far as tipping goes, he did not.  I am 112-115 on average.  

I am very very pleased with this setup.  My driver is a Tensei 1K white 60g X flex and it’s the same…close to perfect…

• Srixon Z-Star XV 

I’m likely dumping my Ventus blue 6s. Descent is too steep and I loose everything right. I think it’s work with proper flex or weight. Might need to try a Ventus black. 

My Reviews:

• 3 months later...

Just adding my two bits. I am 60. Driver swing speed 95mph. Got the Ventus blue r2 with my ping g driver head. One word *phenomenal. The harder I go at it the straighter it gets. Launch is great for me and gained 10m-20m in distance. Very tight on dispersion. It’s working better then the diamana zf stiff regular that I was gaming earlier. It’s going to be in the bag for a long time.

Edited by Ramesh Singh

Ping G - driver, hybrid 3&4 and irons #4-#Lw, Seemore mallet putter.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I'm a little late to the party for this thread but I just recently purchased a Ventus Velocore Blue 6-R.  For the past several years, I have played a Diamana Whiteboard 63 gram stiff shaft at 45" in my driver.  I am 63 years old and my club head speed is 93 mph.  I have enjoyed the low spin and ball flight provided by this shaft.  In discussions with the shaft seller, he recommended I go with the Ventus Velocore Blue in regular flex, tipped 1", and playing 45".  So far I have played 2.5 rounds with the new shaft and I am impressed.  I don't believe I am gaining distance, but so far I am hitting a lot of fairways and my misses are not far from the fairway.  I give the Ventus Velocore shaft 2 thumbs up.  

Edited by David Leighton Reid
grammer correction

Ping G425 Max 9° w/UST MP5 L-Flex

PXG Gen 5 0311XF 8° w/Grafalloy ProLaunch 45 A-Flex

Ping G425 3 wood 14.5° w/Ventus Velocore Blue-6R tipped 1"

Cleveland Halo Launcher 5 wood 18° with Project X Cypher R

Callaway Rogue 19° hybrid regular

PXG Gen 3 0311XF 5 - G steel regular

Corey Paul wedges bent to 53° and 58°

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 11.5 putter

Curious to see who will be diving into the TR black or red edition...

• Srixon Z-Star XV 

1 hour ago, bens197 said:

Curious to see who will be diving into the TR black or red edition...

I have Ventus Velocore Black 60g X flex in driver and Blue 70g X flex in 5 wood. Love the Black in driver. Going to tip the blue an inch to firm it up a bit. I am a big ventus velocore fan. 

Larry A. Merrick