Ventus users chime in...

bens197

2 hours ago, jlukes said:

CK Orange is simply the AV RAW without the AV Coated Weave in the butt section.  From the MCA website:

So basically the new material allows them to increase stability without having to increase wall thickness (which would reduce feel and energy transfer)

That’s crystal clear. Thx 👍🏼

• Like 1
  • TaylorMade SIM2 8* Mitsubishi Tensei 1K White 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Mizuno HMB MP20 3i Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Ben Hogan PTx Combo Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Vokey SM8 50 Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • TaylorMade MG2 TW 56 & 60 Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Scotty Cameron Phantom X 11.5
  • TaylorMade TP5

Western, NY

5.7 Index

Hi everyone,

I might have a silly one here- but Im looking at upgrading shafts for the first time and the ventus blue seems a great match for me combined with all the positive feedback. The only question I can't seem to find an answer for is in regards to the length. I need a stiffer shaft than the regular flex I've been battling with- however I want to increase accuracy and I'm wary of the fact that these shafts are 46". This seems very long; combined with the advice from fuji not to shorten it and a lack of discussion surround this am I to assume everyone is playing a 46" shaft? 

I'm quite new to golf and have no access to fittings nearby so would appreciate any help would be much appreciated. It would go on a Mavrik driver if that makes any difference, but it just seems shorter length may leadd to more accuracy, but i dont want the stiff turning into an x (I think??)

11 minutes ago, invertedforest said:

Hi everyone,

I might have a silly one here- but Im looking at upgrading shafts for the first time and the ventus blue seems a great match for me combined with all the positive feedback. The only question I can't seem to find an answer for is in regards to the length. I need a stiffer shaft than the regular flex I've been battling with- however I want to increase accuracy and I'm wary of the fact that these shafts are 46". This seems very long; combined with the advice from fuji not to shorten it and a lack of discussion surround this am I to assume everyone is playing a 46" shaft? 

I'm quite new to golf and have no access to fittings nearby so would appreciate any help would be much appreciated. It would go on a Mavrik driver if that makes any difference, but it just seems shorter length may leadd to more accuracy, but i dont want the stiff turning into an x (I think??)

Welcome aboard. 46” is the raw length. You can get these cut down to any playing length you want by a certified club fitter. 

in terms of cutting down to play stiffer, it may feel stiffer but the stiffness will be the same. 

you can use this site as a starting point on your shaft journey. 

https://s3fitting.com/try

• Like 1

Driver: :callaway-small:   Epic Max LS with RDX Blue 70g S 

2H: :callaway-small: Super Hybrid with Tensei Orange Pro Hyb 80 Stiff 

3H: :Sub70: 939X UST proforce V2 black F3 hybrid soft stepped XStiff 

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 1/4" long Unofficial Review

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)  (Backup 54*,60*: :ping-small:  S Tour KBS Tour Stiff 3* up)

Putter: TAII #2  Review here: TAIII Impact #2 Putter 

Ball: :Snell:MTB-X and :OnCore: vero X1 (may dabble in :titelist-small: proV1 at some point)

31 minutes ago, invertedforest said:

Hi everyone,

Ignore flex for the most part. There’s not standard on flex including within a shaft company. PX hzrdus stiff will play different than the evenflow line.  Getting the right weight and shaft profile will be more beneficial.  

As for cutting down a shaft it will play stiffer if you trim the tip. Fujikura’s recommendation is to not tip trim the shaft, there are plenty who the ventus at less than the 46”

What shaft do you currently play including weight. What is your struggle and what is your typical miss.  

• Like 1

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

4 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Ignore flex for the most part. There’s not standard on flex including within a shaft company. PX hzrdus stiff will play different than the evenflow line.  Getting the right weight and shaft profile will be more beneficial.  

As for cutting down a shaft it will play stiffer if you trim the tip. Fujikura’s recommendation is to not tip trim the shaft, there are plenty who the ventus at less than the 46”

What shaft do you currently play including weight. What is your struggle and what is your typical miss.  

Thanks so much. I play the stock mavrik evenflkow 50g in regular flex. i miss straight left or right, predominately left. shot shape is pretty straight or slight draw.

thanks for the response. I've only been playing for 4 months and completely addicted but there is so much to learn! When i got the regular flex the salesperson said i was on the upper end of that flex but it would work for now- that was only a month in to playing and i've since naturally gained a lot of speed and probably 30 yards of distance so i'm assuming my clubhead speed has increased.

10 minutes ago, invertedforest said:

Thanks so much. I play the stock mavrik evenflkow 50g in regular flex. i miss straight left or right, predominately left. shot shape is pretty straight or slight draw.

thanks for the response. I've only been playing for 4 months and completely addicted but there is so much to learn! When i got the regular flex the salesperson said i was on the upper end of that flex but it would work for now- that was only a month in to playing and i've since naturally gained a lot of speed and probably 30 yards of distance so i'm assuming my clubhead speed has increased.

Ok. Speed is only one factor and not even the biggest one that goes into shaft selection. It’s one that many use because it’s general enough to start.  I would say both and increase in weight and flex would be the right move. Whether that’s in the evenflow line with the white, blue, black is a possibility and they are great shafts for smooth swingers. The ventus is going to play and feel different than the evenflow line in similar weights and flex. 

Recommending a shaft is really blind shoot for anyone on here to another person because it would be based mostly on personal experience and some on shaft knowledge. And even tinkering using the secondary market can still get expensive. Then you have to think about the head the shafts going in, possible swingweight changes based on how it was built with the shaft it came with. The head is going to have a lot to do with how the ball launches and spins and the shaft is used to dial in the numbers to optimize the ball flight.

The ventus is a great shaft for those that it fits. I’ve seen on other forums where guys used the ventus then went back to their normal shaft due to better results.

Without knowing what your launch, spin, angle of attack, peak height and descent/land angle is it would hard to say what color ventus, which weight and what flex to try if that’s the route you wanted to go. The blue in 6s would probably be the logical step from where you are at. 

• Like 2

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

• 2 months later...

Update...

I ordered a 7-X Blue from The People's Clubs a few weeks ago.  It arrived and since then I've put a few swings on it with my SIM2 3 wood.

Here's some thoughts for anyone who's also interested.

• When people say stable, they aren't kidding, there is a reason why this shaft is getting the reps that it is.  It's billed as super stable and stable it is...There are no squirrely shots.
  • My driver / 3w miss is towards the toe and for anyone who doesn't know, it causes a giant nose dive to the left.  
  • I can now play this off the toe and hit a high sweeping draw that stay within my margins, it's actually amusing to be honest.
  • Feel is stable but not soft.  I was expecting a slightly softer / rubbery feel but I wont say I am disappointed.  It's solid but most important, dispersion is tight.  Velocore is for real, bad swings offer a far better margin of error.  
  • I am pleased.  Not only did Will prep and build this super quick, the price was better than anywhere else.
  • Like 3
  • TaylorMade TP5

Western, NY

5.7 Index

I'm definitely looking forward to trying this shaft at some point. When I went for a driver fitting at True Spec, THEY DIDN'T HAVE IT!! How does True Spec not have VENTUS BLACK? It literally seems like it is the most popular shaft in the world of golf...and they didn't have it. I was heartbroken. 

Taylormade M5 Driver

Cobra F9 3 Wood

Srixon ZX5 4-6 Iron

Srixon ZX7 7-PW

Taylormade MG2 Wedges 50/55/60

Taylormade Spider X Putter

27 minutes ago, jddaigneault said:

I'm definitely looking forward to trying this shaft at some point. When I went for a driver fitting at True Spec, THEY DIDN'T HAVE IT!! How does True Spec not have VENTUS BLACK? It literally seems like it is the most popular shaft in the world of golf...and they didn't have it. I was heartbroken. 

That's bonkers!

Hopefully you get a shot sooner than later!

• Like 1
  • TaylorMade TP5

Western, NY

5.7 Index

5 minutes ago, bens197 said:

That's bonkers!

Hopefully you get a shot sooner than later!

Yeah, I was not happy. Especially when you consider the cost of a fitting there. And there "100% customer satisfaction guarantee" is BS. I was not happy I could not try that shaft. 

• Like 1

Taylormade M5 Driver

Cobra F9 3 Wood

Srixon ZX5 4-6 Iron

Srixon ZX7 7-PW

Taylormade MG2 Wedges 50/55/60

Taylormade Spider X Putter

1 hour ago, bens197 said:

Update...

I ordered a 7-X Blue from The People's Clubs a few weeks ago.  It arrived and since then I've put a few swings on it with my SIM2 3 wood.

Here's some thoughts for anyone who's also interested.

• When people say stable, they aren't kidding, there is a reason why this shaft is getting the reps that it is.  It's billed as super stable and stable it is...There are no squirrely shots.
  • My driver / 3w miss is towards the toe and for anyone who doesn't know, it causes a giant nose dive to the left.  
  • I can now play this off the toe and hit a high sweeping draw that stay within my margins, it's actually amusing to be honest.
  • Feel is stable but not soft.  I was expecting a slightly softer / rubbery feel but I wont say I am disappointed.  It's solid but most important, dispersion is tight.  Velocore is for real, bad swings offer a far better margin of error.  
  • I am pleased.  Not only did Will prep and build this super quick, the price was better than anywhere else.

In my time with a Ventus blue my mishits stayed on the start line. The push never became a push fade 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I really, really like this combo...

The 7-X Blue was definitely the best fit for me in a 3 wood.  It flies high but doesn't balloon.  It's not the smoothest or the softest feeling shaft but it is the most stable I have played.  That feeling when you make a bad swing and you look up and realize you got away with one, that's what's happening.

What I am seeing more often than not is that this is a long club.  I was hoping for a 260 club and I am between 275-290 depending on firmness of the ground.  

Still a fan.

• Like 2
  • TaylorMade TP5

Western, NY

5.7 Index