Srixon ZX4 Hollow-Body Irons - a BIG Surprise!

Our Sponsors

Nice writeup Barbajo. Those are some fantastic looking SGI irons, honestly seeing Srixon come out with these is a bit surprising like you mentioned in the article with Cleveland kind of having that category wrapped up with Srixon traditionally being the "lower cap" brand. I love the VT sole in a wider body, for me a longer heel to toe length is something I actually like and find reassuring as a higher 'cap. Still, I wouldn't mind one bit giving these a few whacks! 

• Like 1

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:callaway-small: Big Bertha Mini (the :wilson_staff_small:  D7 is in time out)
:callaway-small:  GBB 3W (lofted to 4W)
:callaway-small: V-Series Heavenwood
:cobra-small: Baffler XL 5i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54*
:ping-small: iWedge 58*
:cleveland-small: #10

Twitter: @russtopherb

Intriged, just not sure they would fit for me in the bag - I just bought a Srixon ZX 23* utility iron.  

I was contemplating trying out the ZX5/ZX7 for a mixed bag this year.  Either ZX5 - 5 - 6 Iron or 5-7 irons.  Then the rest zx7 of either make up.  Need to hit as I really love the Modus shaft that is the stock option, but in the past, I've gotten better numbers from a DG or KBS.  

Driver:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngMavrik Sub Zero 9* (Set to 10) Ventus Blue 6X

2 Hybrid: :titelist-small: 818 H2 Hybrid Tensei Blue 80 X

3 Hybrid: :titelist-small: 818H2 Fujikura Atmos TS Blue 8X

4 Iron - Srixon ZX 23* Recoil F5

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: MP 18 SC Dynamic Gold AMT X

Gap/Sand Wedge:  :titelist-small: Vokey SM6 49*  SM8 54* 

Lob Wedge:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngJaws 5 Wedge 58* DG Tour Issue Stiff

Putter:  image.png.cca2328f4144a299c795aa9b8f3bf677.png Inovai 6.0              :scotty-small: Pro Platinum Newport 2 35"  

Yikes - ANOTHER hollow iron? Maybe Taylormade were really onto something 30 years ago when the ICW's first came out?

Seriously though - some dang fine looking irons. Let's hope they don't hit moon balls like the i500's..

Nice article. I've been looking forward to this release for a few months. Currently playing z585 5-6 and z785 7-pw, but have been thinking of replacing my 5 iron with something a little more forgiving. G710 had my interests. I have demoed the Cleveland UHX 5 utillity several times and have been really impressed. But I can't wait to try the ZX4. Bend the 5 iron 1 degree weak and kill some offset and match the loft to the ZX5 and it could be a sneaky good club. 

5 iron top line:

IMG_1298.jpeg.c11cd1cdaae439d1b164977f8e0c376a.jpeg

• Like 1

2020 TESTER Ben Hogan UiHi 18* Utility Iron

• Driver: :ping-small: G410 Plus 9*, Oban Gold
  • Hybrids::adams-small:  Super XTD 17* Hybrid Fubuki AX:callaway-small:,  Apex 20* AD-DI 85S, Apex 23* Oban Purple
  • Irons: :srixon-small: Z585 5-6, Z785 7-PW, Modus 120s
  • Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX4 50, Modus 120x:taylormade-small:, Hi Toe 56 & 60, Modus 120x
  • Putter: :EVNROLL:  ER3 @ 33"

Srixon irons are as beautiful as they come, and have performance to match! It’s sad they don’t get many tries at demo days, and at stores. 

• Like 1

Driver: :cobra-small: King F9 Speedback, Xphlexxx Busa 2 Liquid, XX stiff, 45”

Fwy: 

Hybrid: :callaway-small: X2 Hot Pro, 20*, :Fuji: Rombax 8D07HB TM27 X

Irons: :honma:TR20 Tour P 4/5, Tour V 6-10, Dynamic Gold X100

Wedges: Vega VW-06 50*/54*/58*, Dynamic Gold S400

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

26 minutes ago, PMookie said:

Srixon irons are as beautiful as they come, and have performance to match! It’s sad they don’t get many tries at demo days, and at stores. 

Funny you say that. I went to a demo day two years ago with the intent to try out Srixon irons and the driver. The manufactures rep kept pushing Cleveland on me. Twice I said I wanted to try Srixon and he said no you really want to try the Cleveland. Now probably six months earlier I was fit and purchased a G400 driver. This guy tried to put me in a loft and flex that were as far opposite as you could be. I told him that that combination would not work for me. Trust me he said. I hit four knuckle balls. I grabbed my G400 and hit a perfect drive. I told him he needed to listen more and left his area. Never even got to hit the irons.  

• Sad 3

:ping-small: Driver, G400 11* SR Flex

:taylormade-small: 3 Wood, SLDR  HL 17*  R Flex

:taylormade-small: 5 Wood, SLDR 19* R Flex

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, F6 22.5* R Flex

:Sub70: Irons, 699 Pro's S Flex (5 - AW)

:Sub70:  JB Wedge 56*

:cleveland-small: Wedge, CBX 60*

:odyssey-small: Putter, Marksman Fang 35"

9 hours ago, GolfSpy Barbajo said:

Been sitting on these until embargo day, but gloryosky these are some surprisingly good irons. Unless you are a hardcore CB or blade player, do yourself a favor and put these on your demo list. You're welcome...

Srixon ZX4 Irons: GI, SGI or Player's Distance? | MyGolfSpy

srixon_zx4_irons_std-07.jpg

srixon_zx4_irons_std-01.jpg

srixon_zx4_irons_std-02.jpg

srixon_zx4_irons_std-03.jpg

srixon_zx4_irons_std-04.jpg

srixon_zx4_irons_std-05.jpg

srixon_zx4_irons_std-06.jpg

I didn't even know about these when I was at the Srixon Demo this past Saturday.  The fitter/rep didn't mention them but then again I asked specifically for ZX5 and ZX7's. That's OK though because I'm either casting the Linus Blanket aside and going with the ZX5's or running back to that warm, comfy, familiar place called PING... or more specifically G425's.  

Image result for linus blanket gif

• Like 3

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver | Official 2019 MGS Tester

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:ping-small: G410 Irons 4-UW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:ping-small: B61 Putter

These have me very excited!! I think they have the combination of feel and performance I have been dreaming of 😍

• Like 3

In my :cobra-small: Ultralight Stand Bag:

Driver:    :cobra-small: King F9 9° - LH - Atmos Blue TS 6 Stiff
Woods:   :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 3/4 Wood - Atmos Blue 7 Reg
               :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 3 Hybrid - Atmos Blue 7 Reg
Irons:      :cobra-small: King Forged Tec (2016) - LH - 4-PW - KBS C-Taper light Reg
Wedges: :cleveland-small:     RTX Zipcore - LH - 52° 56° 60° - True Temper Spinner Wedge shafts
Putter:    :rife-putters-1: Barbados Island
Ball:        :titelist-small: Pro V1

Tracked By: :Arccos:

Follow me on Twitter @ham12_hampton and on Instagram @Nunfa0 for the #cobraconnectchallenge3

Sounds like this can give the golfer who needs the forgiveness of a SGI club, a closer look to that of a players iron. A lot of the reason I picked up Z585 last year, but maybe just a step closer to the SGI look and performance a lot of the market is after. Should be a winner for Srixon.

:ping-small: G410 SFT 10.5* 

:ping-small: G410 3w 14.5* 

:ping-small: G410 3h 19* 

:srixon-small: z585 18* 2i

:srixon-small: z585 4-AW Modus 120x 
:cleveland-small: CG15 56*, RTX-3 60*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach SOFT 11C
:bridgestone-small: Tour B X

1 hour ago, Kansas King said:

I'll be curious to see what these look like in person because these look very chunky in the pictures. 

It's a wide sole iron and it's based on the previous generation Srixon utility iron so yeah, it's on the Barney Rubble side of chunky. For the category, tho, it's relatively clean with a shorter blade length than you'd expect. The longer irons are short and stout, the shorter irons less so. As always, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but the more you hit this things, the prettier they get ;-).

What's in the bag:

Driver:  Sub 70 639D - 9.5; :cleveland-small: Launcher HB Turbo; :mizuno-small: ST 190 
FW Wood: :tour-edge: Tour Edge EXS 220 - 15*; :mizuno-small: ST 180 14*
Hybrids:  PXG 0311 22
Utility Irons: :wilson_staff_small: Staff Model Utilities 18, 21, 24*;  Lynx VT Stinger - 16*
Irons::wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged; :benhogan-small:PTx Pro, :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; :wilson_staff_small: Progressives (circa 1993)

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX -2, :benhogan-small:Riviera 52-56-60; :wilson_staff_small: Staff Model
Putter:   :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8,  :benhogan-small:Baby Ben

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B X (2020); :srixon-small: Z-STAR XV

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo