TESTERS WANTED! ×

Srixon ZX4 Hollow-Body Irons - a BIG Surprise!

GolfSpy Barbajo

Nice writeup Barbajo. Those are some fantastic looking SGI irons, honestly seeing Srixon come out with these is a bit surprising like you mentioned in the article with Cleveland kind of having that category wrapped up with Srixon traditionally being the "lower cap" brand. I love the VT sole in a wider body, for me a longer heel to toe length is something I actually like and find reassuring as a higher 'cap. Still, I wouldn't mind one bit giving these a few whacks! 

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

Intriged, just not sure they would fit for me in the bag - I just bought a Srixon ZX 23* utility iron.  

I was contemplating trying out the ZX5/ZX7 for a mixed bag this year.  Either ZX5 - 5 - 6 Iron or 5-7 irons.  Then the rest zx7 of either make up.  Need to hit as I really love the Modus shaft that is the stock option, but in the past, I've gotten better numbers from a DG or KBS.  

Driver:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngMavrik Sub Zero 9* (Set to 10) Ventus Blue 6X

2 Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSI3 Hybrid Tensei Blue 80 X (17.25*)

3 Hybrid :titelist-small: 818 H2 Hybrid Hzrdus RDX Black 6.5 (20.5*)

4 Iron -  :titelist-small: T200 4 Iron Graphite Design Tour AD IZ X Hybrid Shaft

Irons 5-PW:  :titelist-small: T100-S 5 - GW KBS Tour 130 X

Gap/Sand Wedge:  :titelist-small: Vokey SM6 49*  SM8 54* 

Lob Wedge:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngJaws 5 Wedge 58* DG Tour Issue Stiff

Putter:   :scotty-small: Phantom 5.5 34"      Pro Platinum Newport 2 35"      Taylormade Tour Black Spider 34"

Nice article. I've been looking forward to this release for a few months. Currently playing z585 5-6 and z785 7-pw, but have been thinking of replacing my 5 iron with something a little more forgiving. G710 had my interests. I have demoed the Cleveland UHX 5 utillity several times and have been really impressed. But I can't wait to try the ZX4. Bend the 5 iron 1 degree weak and kill some offset and match the loft to the ZX5 and it could be a sneaky good club. 

5 iron top line:

IMG_1298.jpeg.c11cd1cdaae439d1b164977f8e0c376a.jpeg

GARSEN GRIP TESTER

• Driver: PING G400 MAX, Ventus Blue 6x
  • Woods: COBRA F6 Baffler AD DI 8S
  • Hybrid: CALLAWAY Apex Pro, Ventus Blue 8s
  • Irons: SRIXON ZX5 mk2 5-6, ZX7 mk2 7-PW, Modus 120x
  • Wedges: EDEL 50 C grind, 54 V grind, CLEVELAND 60 RTX6 Low
  • Putter: YES Abbie!

Srixon irons are as beautiful as they come, and have performance to match! It’s sad they don’t get many tries at demo days, and at stores. 

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

26 minutes ago, PMookie said:

Srixon irons are as beautiful as they come, and have performance to match! It’s sad they don’t get many tries at demo days, and at stores. 

Funny you say that. I went to a demo day two years ago with the intent to try out Srixon irons and the driver. The manufactures rep kept pushing Cleveland on me. Twice I said I wanted to try Srixon and he said no you really want to try the Cleveland. Now probably six months earlier I was fit and purchased a G400 driver. This guy tried to put me in a loft and flex that were as far opposite as you could be. I told him that that combination would not work for me. Trust me he said. I hit four knuckle balls. I grabbed my G400 and hit a perfect drive. I told him he needed to listen more and left his area. Never even got to hit the irons.  

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

9 hours ago, GolfSpy Barbajo said:

Been sitting on these until embargo day, but gloryosky these are some surprisingly good irons. Unless you are a hardcore CB or blade player, do yourself a favor and put these on your demo list. You're welcome...

Srixon ZX4 Irons: GI, SGI or Player's Distance? | MyGolfSpy

srixon_zx4_irons_std-07.jpg

srixon_zx4_irons_std-01.jpg

srixon_zx4_irons_std-02.jpg

srixon_zx4_irons_std-03.jpg

srixon_zx4_irons_std-04.jpg

srixon_zx4_irons_std-05.jpg

srixon_zx4_irons_std-06.jpg

I didn't even know about these when I was at the Srixon Demo this past Saturday.  The fitter/rep didn't mention them but then again I asked specifically for ZX5 and ZX7's. That's OK though because I'm either casting the Linus Blanket aside and going with the ZX5's or running back to that warm, comfy, familiar place called PING... or more specifically G425's.  

Image result for linus blanket gif

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

These have me very excited!! I think they have the combination of feel and performance I have been dreaming of 😍

In my :titleist-small: cart Bag:

Driver:    :cobra-small: King F9 9° - LH - Atmos Blue TS 6 Stiff
Woods:   :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 3/4 Wood - Atmos Blue 7 Reg
               :srixon-small: Z U85 2 Iron
Irons:     :titelist-small: T200 4 Iron AMT White S300
  :titelist-small: T100S - LH - 3-48* - AMT White S300
Wedges:               Indi FLX- LH - 52° 56° 60° - True Temper Spinner Wedge shafts
Putter:    :rife-putters-1: 2 Bar Hybrid
Ball:        :titelist-small: Pro V1x

Testing: Haywood CB/MB Combo Iron Set, 4-7 Cavity backs, 8-PW Muscle Backs, True Temper Dynamic Gold 105 Stiff, 2 Degrees stronger lofts.

Tracked By: :Arccos:

Follow me on Twitter @ham12_hampton and on Instagram @Nunfa0 

Sounds like this can give the golfer who needs the forgiveness of a SGI club, a closer look to that of a players iron. A lot of the reason I picked up Z585 last year, but maybe just a step closer to the SGI look and performance a lot of the market is after. Should be a winner for Srixon.

image.png.258d22fcc4d0d25f5fdb8eea25fcd23f.png B21 9.5* w/ PX Evenflow Black 6.5

:ping-small: G410 SFT 16* 3-wood w/ PX Evenflow Black 6.5

image.png.de7870be9e5ebe2ff26fab3151edb989.png Stealth DHY 2i w/ Aldila Ascent Black Stiff

:srixon-small: z585 4-AW w/ Modus3 120x

:cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack Raw 56.12 & 60.10 w/ Modus3 125w

image.png.a2a25073d1a41c5de1690a6254814da3.png Super Select Newport Plus -or- :odyssey-small: White Hot OG #1WS w/ Stroke Lab 

image.png.d2e91492049dce3981a9fad088921b12.png ProV1

1 hour ago, Kansas King said:

I'll be curious to see what these look like in person because these look very chunky in the pictures. 

It's a wide sole iron and it's based on the previous generation Srixon utility iron so yeah, it's on the Barney Rubble side of chunky. For the category, tho, it's relatively clean with a shorter blade length than you'd expect. The longer irons are short and stout, the shorter irons less so. As always, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but the more you hit this things, the prettier they get ;-).

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

• 4 months later...
On 6/22/2021 at 2:20 PM, Landy said:

Hello - has another compared the ZX4s to the G425s?  Playing less so at distance and forgiving iron.  Not crazy with my TM SIM2's...

Yep, and I found them very similar in all of the areas people obsess about. Both are on a level playing field in distance, accuracy, and forgiveness IMO. The Srixon stands out as the favorite because of the turf interaction. The V Sole slices through the turf so effortlessly that I had a hard time feeling if the club speed decreased on my fatter strikes. Of course, this is just my opinion, I'm hoping someone else has some experience and can add more detail. I ultimately had to get out of the set because they are too strong lofted for me. Definitely a shock setting up for my usual 185 yard 7 iron distance and hitting it 205.......

Shank's Tentative 2024 WITB

O.B. Finder- Paradym Smoke Ai TD 9*/Ventus TR Blue 6X +1/D

FW- Callaway UW 17*/VA Composites Nemesys 7X

4H- Paradym Super Hybrid/Ventus Velo Blue 8X

5-AW- Apex 21 $-Taper 120S Blackout- (almost time for a new set of something....)

Spoons- Vokey Jet Black SM9 50.08 F/54.10 S/58.08 M Jet Black/Accra iWedge Tour (Until the SM10's drop)

Flat One- Bettinardi Hive Poison Kool-Aid Innovai 6.0

Left Dash ALL DAY/14-way Vessel Players 4 (Thank GOD they finally fully enclosed each club pocket)