TESTERS WANTED! ×

2021 Srixon Z Star XV

cjeffs12

So I was really excited in testing the new Srixon golf balls. I have always heard they are great in the wind and really durable, and playing in Texas we have alot of wind and hard ground. So I took advice and started my testing on the green before trying it on the course. It rolled fine on the putter, but when I went to the chipping area I was very disappointed. The first shot out the sand, and SECOND hit with said ball, I got a decent size scuff mark, and I was surprised when I got the ball to see that as it did not feel like one that would have produced a scuff mark. Needless to say, I did not hit any more shots out of the sand, I hit about 10 more shots with each ball in the sleeve of 3 I had purchased. In that range another golf ball received a pin hole in the cover. So, 2 out of the 3 golf balls will not go into play due to the cover and how it will affect the aerodynamics, and I know that they are not major, but I do not need another excuse to be more offline lol. I spend alot of time around the greens practicing and I just have not had premium golf balls get damaged in just 20 minutes. I was very disappointed, and it may have been just a bad set, and it was the Japan version for what it is worth. For now I think I will stick with the Bridgestone Tour B XS. In the pictures below, it is hard to see but I can see the core in person on both balls, but I could not get the pictures to focus and it to be seen.

165973489_image0(6).jpeg.3edf60813a2ae5897685b42ce9b6bd4d.jpeg 866440818_image1(2).jpeg.21412a0afeab6df74bddd5b462e3e4f0.jpeg

:taylormade-small: STEALTH 2+ 10.5* FUJIKURA VENTUS TR BLACK 6X

:srixon-small: ZX MKII 3W 15* Project X HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX U.S.A. 8TX

:taylormade-small: Stealth+ 19 Mitsubishi Tensei Pro White 1K 85TX

:srixon-small: ZX7 4-PW KBS $Taper 130 BLACK PVD

:cleveland-small: RTX 6 Zipcore 50/54.10 Full Project X 6.0

:ping-small: GLIDE 4.0 60.10S DYNAMIC GOLD TOUR ISSUE S400

:EVNROLL: ER2v MIDLOCK 40”

:maxfli: TOUR X

:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9 with Slope 

:SuperSpeed:

I wonder if this could be something added to a future edition of @Tony Covey MGS's Ball Lab: durability testing. Some kind of standardized sandpaper test, perhaps?

:titleist-small: TS3 9.5°, Tensei Blue
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX T3 15°, Project X HZRDUS Black
:callaway-small: Epic Super Hybrid 18°, Aerotech Steel Fiber FC HYB S
:755178188_TourEdge: C722 21°, Ventus Blue 8S
:touredgeexotics: CBX Iron-Wood 25°, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0
:Sub70: 639 CB, Aldila NV 95 Graphite, 6–PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 48°
:mizuno-small: T22 54° and 60°
:edel-golf-1: EAS 4.0, Garsen G-Pro grip
:taylormade-small: TP5x and Tour Response

Full WITB with pictures

7 minutes ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

I wonder if this could be something added to a future edition of @Tony Covey MGS's Ball Lab: durability testing. Some kind of standardized sandpaper test, perhaps?

Do something like the old Tootsie Roll Pops commercial, How many swipes to get the core??? 

Srixon has the thinnest covers of any tour level ball. This isn't surprising given a few bunker shots.

Take Dead Aim

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

I wrote up a post about mid summer regarding my experience with Srixon balls as well.  I too had a lot of durability issues.  I even wrote to Srixon regarding some cover concerns and they basically told me that they have the thinnest cover in all of golf so that was their justification. 

Needless to say, I am no longer playing Srixon.

Driver:  :callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero Hzdrs Smoke x flex 70g

3 Wood:  :titelist-small: 917 w/ Diamana Whiteboard stiff

5 Wood : :callaway-small: Epic Flash 18* Hzdrs Smoke stiff

4 Hybrid: image.png.cf6ab25979c6727ff31e6cc6f719636c.png TSi3 Hzdrs Smoke X flex

Irons:  :callaway-small: 5-7  Apex forged 19 w/ Modus 120 X

9-A Apex Pro 19 w/ Modus 120 X

Wedges:  :callaway-small: MD5 52&56 Jaws Dynamic Gold wedge flex

Putter: :titelist-small: Scotty Cameron Phantom 5.5 34"

7 minutes ago, ballplayer002003 said:

I wrote up a post about mid summer regarding my experience with Srixon balls as well.  I too had a lot of durability issues.  I even wrote to Srixon regarding some cover concerns and they basically told me that they have the thinnest cover in all of golf so that was their justification. 

Needless to say, I am no longer playing Srixon.

Yes, I understand that is the nature of the beast. I am just glad I only bought a sleeve, and I am glad you said so I do not waste my time writing to them as well. 

Interesting people are finding them not durable. I always thought they were the most durable balls Ive played. Did something change in 2021? 

DRIVER: Cobra F9 10.5  Tensei AV Blue 65g

3W- Callway XR PRO 16 stiff

5W- Alpha- Mitsubishi Diamana  Redboard w/band

Irons- Mizuno JPX 919 Tours with S KBS Tour shafts

Hyrbid- TM 4h mid-rescue

Vokey- Vokey SM5 51 degrees,  SM7 Wedges 54 and 58 1/2 half 3 degrees upright

Putter- Taylor Made Rossa Monza Mini Spider

Ball-ProV1 and AVX

13 minutes ago, pulledabill said:

Interesting people are finding them not durable. I always thought they were the most durable balls Ive played. Did something change in 2021? 

That is what I thought as well, from MSG the cover thickness didn’t change on the XV. What a lot of people are saying is that they have the thinnest cover, and this is to be expected. At the same time it can’t be the most durable if a couple a chips is all it takes. It was a sample size of 3, so it may have just been my set or the type of sand we have at the course. 

I've had a similar issue with every Srixon ball I've ever played.  I had several balls (both ZStar lines and multiple generations) that literally had a gash cut in them from greenside bunker shots.  Once I did the Bridgestone test last year, I've been sold.  Haven't had it happen once with them.  I've also been dabbling with Yellow Pro V1s since this past fall and am convinced that may be the most durable ball I've ever played.

• PXG 0811X Gen 4 7.5* - Graphite Design Tour AD-HD 7 TX
  • TaylorMade M6 15* - PX HZRDUS Green 80 TX
  • Titleist 913 Fd 18* - MCA KuroKage XMS 90 X /// OR /// Callaway XForged UT 20* - Aldila Rogue Black 105 TX
  • Srixon Z745 4-P - PX LZ 7.0
  • Vokey SM7 49F / 53F / 58K - DG TI S400
  • Odyssey Black #3 34”
  • Titleist AVX

20 minutes ago, Smellis745 said:

I've had a similar issue with every Srixon ball I've ever played.  I had several balls (both ZStar lines and multiple generations) that literally had a gash cut in them from greenside bunker shots.  Once I did the Bridgestone test last year, I've been sold.  Haven't had it happen once with them.  I've also been dabbling with Yellow Pro V1s since this past fall and am convinced that may be the most durable ball I've ever played.

Same, once I tried the Bridgestone. I played ProV for years, and never really had any issues with it. 

Srixon has the thinnest covers of any tour level ball. This isn't surprising given a few bunker shots.

Take Dead Aim

I will also say that I switched to the Z-Star from the ProV1 and not noticed any wear difference bunker shots or not. Rick Shiels also literally dropped a video today on this very subject.

Take Dead Aim

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

9 minutes ago, Tsmithjr9 said:

I will also say that I switched to the Z-Star from the ProV1 and not noticed any wear difference bunker shots or not. Rick Shiels also literally dropped a video today on this very subject.

Take Dead Aim

Maybe its the type of sand I have, and I have always heard of their durability. I have just never had two balls get damaged on the chipping greens on so few shots. Hopefully it was just a bad batch that I received. 

On 2/8/2021 at 11:34 AM, cjeffs12 said:

Yes, I understand that is the nature of the beast. I am just glad I only bought a sleeve, and I am glad you said so I do not waste my time writing to them as well. 

I will say, when I wrote to them, they were very responsive and I feel as if they did the right thing and sent me more balls.  I think their customer service is top notch, but I just found the quality to be less desirable for a top end ball.  I took a chance when they had the buy two get one free.  I thought I would give them a shot since so many people liked them.  They just didn't suite my needs in the durability department.  I would still contact them, just so they know that people out there are having issues with durability...wont cost ya anything.  Good luck! 

Driver:  :callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero Hzdrs Smoke x flex 70g

3 Wood:  :titelist-small: 917 w/ Diamana Whiteboard stiff

5 Wood : :callaway-small: Epic Flash 18* Hzdrs Smoke stiff

4 Hybrid: image.png.cf6ab25979c6727ff31e6cc6f719636c.png TSi3 Hzdrs Smoke X flex

Irons:  :callaway-small: 5-7  Apex forged 19 w/ Modus 120 X

9-A Apex Pro 19 w/ Modus 120 X

Wedges:  :callaway-small: MD5 52&56 Jaws Dynamic Gold wedge flex

Putter: :titelist-small: Scotty Cameron Phantom 5.5 34"

49 minutes ago, ballplayer002003 said:

I will say, when I wrote to them, they were very responsive and I feel as if they did the right thing and sent me more balls.  I think their customer service is top notch, but I just found the quality to be less desirable for a top end ball.  I took a chance when they had the buy two get one free.  I thought I would give them a shot since so many people liked them.  They just didn't suite my needs in the durability department.  I would still contact them, just so they know that people out there are having issues with durability...wont cost ya anything.  Good luck! 

I may send them something, I really am interested in this ball, and hope it was just an early issue. Thank you for letting me know

Picked 3 dozen up at the golf shop, all 3 had made in Japan.

found no issues with them, they all weighed 1.6g 

:srixon-small:  ZX5 MKII LS 8.5

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 3 wood

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 5 wood

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 19.5 Hybrid 

:srixon-small: ZX5 MKll 5 / AW Dart stiff

:taylormade-small: MG3 black 52 9b 58 12b

:scotty-small:  7.5 Phantom 34”

:srixon-small: Z Star Diamond 2023

I get what you mean with Srixon's - good ball, but the durability can be an issue.   I now play a Bridgestone Tour B XS and really love the performance.  I do find that they scuff easier than the ProV1 or V1x and even a tad more than the TP5 if I'm being honest.  Thus far, I've been ok with this as I do really like the feel of them, but just wondered your thoughts ( @cjeffs12) as you say you play a tour Bridgestone ball as well.

Driver:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngMavrik Sub Zero 9* (Set to 10) Ventus Blue 6X

2 Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSI3 Hybrid Tensei Blue 80 X (17.25*)

3 Hybrid :titelist-small: 818 H2 Hybrid Hzrdus RDX Black 6.5 (20.5*)

4 Iron -  :titelist-small: T200 4 Iron Graphite Design Tour AD IZ X Hybrid Shaft

Irons 5-PW:  :titelist-small: T100-S 5 - GW KBS Tour 130 X

Gap/Sand Wedge:  :titelist-small: Vokey SM6 49*  SM8 54* 

Lob Wedge:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngJaws 5 Wedge 58* DG Tour Issue Stiff

Putter:   :scotty-small: Phantom 5.5 34"      Pro Platinum Newport 2 35"      Taylormade Tour Black Spider 34"

5 minutes ago, juspoole said:

I get what you mean with Srixon's - good ball, but the durability can be an issue.   I now play a Bridgestone Tour B XS and really love the performance.  I do find that they scuff easier than the ProV1 or V1x and even a tad more than the TP5 if I'm being honest.  Thus far, I've been ok with this as I do really like the feel of them, but just wondered your thoughts ( @cjeffs12) as you say you play a tour Bridgestone ball as well.

Well as far as Srixon, these were my first experience with them. I played Taylormade lethal a way back and they were great, and bought a sleeve of the TP5 pix and just didn’t see the performance I got from the Tour B XS or Pro Vx. I have played Pro V for years, and the tour B was the first ball that has stayed in play over the prov for any long amount of time. I don’t really get a lot of scuff marks once I switched to the tiger version. The thing I see that really bothers me about the cover is that after a couple of washes the covers texture begins to change, like the softer outer cover of the reactiv layer starts to wear away. I can usually get a full 18 out of the ball, unless I lose one, but the performance is as good as anything. I’m on my last dozen of tiger balls, and I’m already testing to see what I will play this year.