Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Putter Shaft Hole Diameter- possibly very dumb question

Hello,

I'm making a golf putter head for a friend and I'm wondering if there is a standard dimension for the hole in the putter head (will be in putter head, not in the hosel) for a .370 shaft?  Is it also .370 or is a tiny bit larger?  Thanks for reading and answering!

Generally it is right at .370. If the shaft doesn't fit perfectly you can get a little creative with a reamer or drill bit. I would recommend ensuring the putter is clamped down well and using a drill press or milling machine to make a straight, clean, and round hole. The other thing you can do is drill at a straight 90 degrees and purchase an offset putter hosel that receives a straight .370 putter shaft. I've never made a club head from scratch and don't know what equipment or experience you have but this is just the information I have bouncing around the inside of my head. 

46 minutes ago, guygolf said:

Hello,

I'm making a golf putter head for a friend and I'm wondering if there is a standard dimension for the hole in the putter head (will be in putter head, not in the hosel) for a .370 shaft?  Is it also .370 or is a tiny bit larger?  Thanks for reading and answering!

There isn't a "standard".   If you look on the sites that sell putter shafts you can find the various sizes available.  Here is one source for you:

https://www.golfworks.com/true-temper-straight-taper-putter-shaft/p/tt0001p/

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

3 hours ago, Kansas King said:

Generally it is right at .370. If the shaft doesn't fit perfectly you can get a little creative with a reamer or drill bit. I would recommend ensuring the putter is clamped down well and using a drill press or milling machine to make a straight, clean, and round hole. The other thing you can do is drill at a straight 90 degrees and purchase an offset putter hosel that receives a straight .370 putter shaft. I've never made a club head from scratch and don't know what equipment or experience you have but this is just the information I have bouncing around the inside of my head. 

Thanks, that helps.  It will be made at a commercial casting place with high level precision so I should be able to get the hole very close to set measurements.  Thanks for taking the time to answer!

4 hours ago, cnosil said:

There isn't a "standard".   If you look on the sites that sell putter shafts you can find the various sizes available.  Here is one source for you:

https://www.golfworks.com/true-temper-straight-taper-putter-shaft/p/tt0001p/

Thanks.  I know that the shafts come in these various sizes.  I was wondering about the hole where the shaft would be inserted- is it the exact same dimension as the shaft or is it set at some larger amount to account for some fit.  But based on the first response and more digging online, it seems like the holes are the same dimension as the shaft (unless you're going from like a .355 to .370 or something like that).  Thanks,

Thanks.  I know that the shafts come in these various sizes.  I was wondering about the hole where the shaft would be inserted- is it the exact same dimension as the shaft or is it set at some larger amount to account for some fit.  But based on the first response and more digging online, it seems like the holes are the same dimension as the shaft (unless you're going from like a .355 to .370 or something like that).  Thanks,

They are pretty close in size, you do have to account for the fact that epoxy has to go into the hole; you could also add shafting beads it it was a little loose. I have always found that the fit is snug. If using steel, you can always sand the shaft down a little.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG