Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Ping g410 sft really worth it?

PING's Straight Flight Technology is more than just another marketing buzz phrase.  These are designed to and do help fend off the dreaded slice.  That's not to say you cannot slice them, as a really bad swing is not going to be resolved by any club, but they do reduce it.  I play the SFT in both my G400 3w and 5w.  My natural ball flight is a baby fade and I hit these near dead straight a high percentage of the time.  I cannot speak for the SFT driver but my understanding is that the SFT designs tend to not hit as long as the MAX, LST,  or Plus models... guess one has to give a little here to get a little there. 

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

7 hours ago, Mattyj19 said:

I’ve been looking into getting a new driver and have been looking at the Ping G410 SFT. From what I can find it seems like it might help with my terrible slice. Other then a few reviews I have found next to nothing. Anything helps. 

I play the ping g400 sft and it does reduce the slice. When I hit my normal swing with it would go left to right more like a power fade then a slice. I ended up fixing my slice and now I hit draws with. 

:cobra-small: Speedzone Driver Tensei AV Blue or  :ping-small: G400 SFT 10. KBS TD 50 Category 3 shaft 

:cobra-small: King Speedzone Black Yellow Fairway 3 wood Tensei AV Blue 65 

:cobra-small: F9 SpeedBack Black Grey Fairway 5 Wood   :Fuji: ATMOS Tour Spec Blue 7 shaft

:titelist-small: T300 4i-GW - Tensei AV Blue AM2 Regular Flex  or :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Hot Metal 5 - GW Project X Lz 4.5 Regular Flex Graphite 

:ping-small:   Glide 2.0 SS Wedges 54 & 58 

:taylormade-small: TP Red White Ardmore Putter - BGT Stability Tour Black shaft 

:918457628_PrecisionPro:Precision Pro NX7 range finder 

:cobra-small: Ultralight Cart Bag 

I was an Official Tester for the 410  and in my case the SFT and absolutely love the Driver. I started playing golf with a G20 then upgraded a few years ago to a Epic GBB.  Both the G20 and the GBB (in a draw setting) were slice machines - they were so bad - resembling a fishing hook. The SFT definitely helps but I'll also add that the driver by itself won't work wonders. In my case I had a bit of help from an instructor who converted me to a stronger grip and minor changes in my setup. My drives today are as straight as can be. 

However, I would definitely get fitted. Even if you decide on the 410 there are a number of shaft options and while they may not make a difference in your slice they may in terms of distance.   When I started the test, I did the Ping online fitting tool which recommended the SR flex, however, in a fitting shortly after I received it the fitter switched me out to a R flex cut down 1/2 inch. 

I have tried other drivers since then but still have a strong preference for the SFT for dispersion, sound and feel.  I've got several hundred rounds on it now and am thinking of getting the 425 SFT - one driver to leave in Florida and the other for Ohio.  

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

Agreed with all the above on the SFT drivers. I had a G30 SFT and it was probably the straightest driver I've ever owned. Wasn't the longest, but it was very straight when my tendency was to slice or go right. 

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

Can confirm.  When I bought a G410, I got the regular one.  I went in there and hit the regular G410 to see how it felt/sounded to make sure those two aspects worked.  The dude at Golf Galaxy wanted me to at least try the LST and SFT to see what it did, so I did.  It was immediate hooksville with the SFT.  I got the G410, although I would say I prefer the regular G400.  That is just a fantastic driver that has been hard to top.  TSi3 has topped it though. 

Shoot 'em straight

• 3 months later...

Got the g410 SFT, and every once in a while, the dreaded slice shows up. I think it is my swing mechanics, but for the most part, my big miss is the duck hook left. It shows up when I get to fast with my hands. My 410 came with a 12 gram fixed weight. Trying to get a heavier weight was frustrating   and costly, so at this time, I bought some stick on tungsten weights, to bring up the draw weight to 18 grams, which gives me confidence off the tee that I will be in the fairway, probably at least 95 % of the time. I also put a heavier 65 gram shaft(butt trimmed to 43.5"), as the factory shaft, a 55g, was a little too whippy for me. The 65g helped a lot with that, as my swing speed is only 80 mph. I play the Callaway SuperSoft ball, as I love the feel, and the sound off the club is very pleasant. I love my g410, and it will be it my bag for a long time.

Driver-Ping g410 SFT, 3W-Callaway Diablo Octane, Hybrids-Snake Eyes Viper 18*+ 21*, Irons-GigaGolf Reva Hybrid Irons 24*- 46*, Wedges-Cleveland CBX2's 50*54*58*, Putter-Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11c