Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Mizuno STZ Fairway Wood

null

Finally got to hit it after seeing and reading all of the hype around the internet. 

Wow.  Couldn't believe how easy it launched.  I love my G410LST fairway wood, but something with a bit more launch and spin off the deck is certainly intriguing.

For those who haven't looked into it yet, watch this video

This is great to hear that you saw the same forgiveness that TXG did. I can't really hit my 3 wood that well right now and I'm definitely in the market for a new one, and potentially a 5 wood too. This is for sure on my list of clubs to test when I get fit later this year.

3 hours ago, jlukes said:

The only way for me to get a good feel if this could beat out my G410LST 3W is on the course.

Gift cards used.  Trigger pulled.  STZ 3 wood, Ventus Blue 7x shaft tipped .75"

Looking forward to hitting it head to head on the course to see if the hype is real

That is gonna be so good in your bag!

Out of all the clubs this year I actually think this may be the club of the year. You heard Ian from TXG say that it has been his favorite to test so far.

In my bag:

Driver: :callaway-logo-1: Rogue ST Triple Diamond LS 10.5* (set to 9.5) UST Lin-Q Gunmetal 6f5

Wood: :titleist-small: Tsi2 15* Project X RDX Black 70 6.5

Hybrids: :cobra-small: King Utility 19.5* Diamana Tensei White Pro 90TX

Irons: :cobra-small: Cobra King Tour MIM 4-PW Dynamic Gold 120 X100

Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 50*, 54*, 58* Tour Issue S400

Putter: :seemore-small: Nashville Z1C 34"

Ball: :titleist-small:  Pro V1x

49 minutes ago, jayjay0808 said:

That is gonna be so good in your bag!

Out of all the clubs this year I actually think this may be the club of the year. You heard Ian from TXG say that it has been his favorite to test so far.

Yup. I realized last year that I almost never use my 3wood off the tee. While my g410lst is serviceable off the deck (and an absolute monster off the tee) I’ve come to realize that I could use a little more launch and spin on shots off the fairway into par 5s

4 hours ago, jlukes said:

Yup. I realized last year that I almost never use my 3wood off the tee. While my g410lst is serviceable off the deck (and an absolute monster off the tee) I’ve come to realize that I could use a little more launch and spin on shots off the fairway into par 5s

Hoping you won't mind providing some feedback or maybe even an unofficial review?  I'm happy with my current 3 wood but this one is enticing.

Was the Ventus a pretty big upcharge if you don't mind my asking?  I seem to recall Mizuno not upcharging on a lot of shafts but that can't be right on a Ventus especially...?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 6 S, 65g Stiff

FW: :titleist-small: TSR2 3w, 15,  :Fuji:Ventus Blue 7 S, 70g Stiff

Hybrids:  :callaway-small: Apex Pro 3H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

:taylormade-small: Stealth DHY 4H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS 5-6, SMS Pro 7-PW, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Wedges: :vokey-small:SM9 48 F Grind, 52 F Grind, 56 M Grind, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Putter: :odyssey-small: Sri-Hot 5K Triple Wide, Stroke Lab shaft

Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1

Click here for my HONMA TR20 Official Review!  :honma:

Click here for my Arccos Caddie Bundle Official Review!   :Arccos:

Click here for my Edel SMS & SMS Pro Irons Official Review:edel-golf-1:

2 hours ago, Getoffmylawn said:

Hoping you won't mind providing some feedback or maybe even an unofficial review?  I'm happy with my current 3 wood but this one is enticing.

Was the Ventus a pretty big upcharge if you don't mind my asking?  I seem to recall Mizuno not upcharging on a lot of shafts but that can't be right on a Ventus especially...?

Ventus is a $250 up chargewith Mizuno . Normally it’s $350 with other other oems. I got an even better deal than the $250

i will absolutely be posting a review once I get it in march sometime

Look forward to the review! Since watching the TXG videos on this it’s certainly got my attention, but for a 5 wood instead of a 3

Driver: Titleist TSi2 10 / Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue Raw 65 S

3 Wood: Titleist TSi3 15 / Project X RDX Smoke Black 70 6.0

Hybrid: Titleist TSi3 18 / Fujikura Atmos HB Tour Spec Red 7 S

4 Iron: Titleist U500 / Graphite Design Tour AD DI 85 S

5 - 9 Irons: Mizuno 921 Tour / Nippon Modus 3 120 S

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM7 46F, 50F, 54S & 58M / Nippon Modus Wedge 115

Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport Select (2016) / BGT Stability Tour

Ball: Srixon Z Star XV

• 1 month later...

First launch monitor test with the STZ 3 wood was today and it passed with flying covers.  Was getting about 1 MPH more ball speed with better spin numbers (around 3200) than my G410 LST.   Tended to miss lower on the face with the Mizuno, but chalked that up to the hitting mat I was on.  Cannot wait to get it on the course to see how it really performs.

39E8DEEB-F0BF-425E-BDB6-A3D962C8BF8F.jpeg

0CE3F208-29DD-441A-BB1A-DE0343B31986.jpeg

4C127656-782D-4130-9697-256EA4B2EBA9.jpeg

45 minutes ago, jlukes said:

First launch monitor test with the STZ 3 wood was today and it passed with flying covers.  Was getting about 1 MPH more ball speed with better spin numbers (around 3200) than my G410 LST.   Tended to miss lower on the face with the Mizuno, but chalked that up to the hitting mat I was on.  Cannot wait to get it on the course to see how it really performs.

Man... that makes the PING look like a long nosed driver from the Tom Morris era.

What was the carry #?

6 minutes ago, Shankster said:

Man... that makes the PING look like a long nosed driver from the Tom Morris era.

What was the carry #?

The G410LST 3W head is definitely one of the smallest 3W heads on the market.  I love it though.  Will be interesting to see how I do with a more "standard" size head.

Swing speed was about 110-111 with the driver today because im still a bit fatigued from my 2nd vaccine dose.  Driver was carrying between 272 and 282 today.

So carry numbers with the 3Ws off the deck were sitting between 243 and 248 yards and even those were low due to poor strikes due to the wonky mat (they are getting replaced next week haha).  Would expect those to be in the upper 250s once I get my strength back and I'm hitting off more realistic surfaces

51 minutes ago, jlukes said:

Man, that's just a beautiful stick, really looks like it sets up nice and confidence inspiring.  Can't wait to hear some on-course feedback.

Wedges: :vokey-small:SM9 48 F Grind, 52 F Grind, 56 M Grind, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

1 hour ago, jlukes said:

The G410LST 3W head is definitely one of the smallest 3W heads on the market.  I love it though.  Will be interesting to see how I do with a more "standard" size head.

Swing speed was about 110-111 with the driver today because im still a bit fatigued from my 2nd vaccine dose.  Driver was carrying between 272 and 282 today.

So carry numbers with the 3Ws off the deck were sitting between 243 and 248 yards and even those were low due to poor strikes due to the wonky mat (they are getting replaced next week haha).  Would expect those to be in the upper 250s once I get my strength back and I'm hitting off more realistic surfaces

Nice.  Can’t complain with those numbers.  And it does look pretty danged good too.  

Well 3 more range sessions and it was pretty clear that my beloved Ping 3w isn’t going anywhere. It’s just automatic for me. The Mizuno was fantastic, but launches too damn high for me, even when lofted down to 13*!  

If someone is in the market for a 3w that launches easy, the Mizuno STZ should be at the top of your list. 

On 2/10/2021 at 5:24 PM, Getoffmylawn said:

Their is not a upcharge with iron shafts, but with driver or fairways shafts their is an uncharge albeit less than buying the shaft outright but still pricey

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 Plus 9deg Kai' li Red

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 13deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 15deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 4-PW Nippon Modus 120s

:vokey-small: SM8 54 and 58deg Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex

:titleist-small: Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Titleist ProV1

:ping-small: Hoofer Stand Bag

Stewart Q Follow Electric Caddie

:callaway-small: 300 PRO Rangefinder

Official Nippon Regio B+ Driver Shaft Review

Official Stewart Q Follow Review

• 2 weeks later...

Just curious why did you go with the Ventus blue instead of the black?

WITB

Driver Mizuno.jpg.556c6fb4339cb7af03a978bbfb557a08.jpg ST-200 Set to 9° Ventus Black 70g X-stiff

2 Iron Mizuno.jpg.556c6fb4339cb7af03a978bbfb557a08.jpg  HMB KBS Tour 120g S hard stepped

4-PW Mizuno.jpg.556c6fb4339cb7af03a978bbfb557a08.jpg  MP-20 KBS Tour 120g S hard stepped

Wedges Mizuno.jpg.556c6fb4339cb7af03a978bbfb557a08.jpg  T 20 50°, 53°, 56°, 60° KBS Tour 120g S hard stepped

Putter SC.jpg.14736f817c1495461be501fb995c16db.jpg   Newport 2.6

All clubs use arc2.jpg.194a7f796bf5f1991cde65dade3cd471.jpg

On 3/31/2021 at 7:09 PM, jlukes said:

Well 3 more range sessions and it was pretty clear that my beloved Ping 3w isn’t going anywhere. It’s just automatic for me. The Mizuno was fantastic, but launches too damn high for me, even when lofted down to 13*!  

If someone is in the market for a 3w that launches easy, the Mizuno STZ should be at the top of your list. 

Even for a guy with a moderate SS?  I'm really in the market for a 3 wood this season - at least one to try - I have a hole there for sure if I can find one that I hit well.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

9 minutes ago, revkev said:

Even for a guy with a moderate SS?  I'm really in the market for a 3 wood this season - at least one to try - I have a hole there for sure if I can find one that I hit well.

Yes I think that is the sweet spot for this 3 wood.  Normally the slower you swing the harder it is to elevate a 3 wood, but this thing just gets up on the air so fast

37 minutes ago, jlukes said:

Yes I think that is the sweet spot for this 3 wood.  Normally the slower you swing the harder it is to elevate a 3 wood, but this thing just gets up on the air so fast

Do you find it biased in any particular way?  If I remember the TXG review correctly they thought it was a bit fade-biased, especially when compared to a draw-biased Cobra.

And how do you feel it does off the deck or light rough?

4 minutes ago, Getoffmylawn said:

Do you find it biased in any particular way?  If I remember the TXG review correctly they thought it was a bit fade-biased, especially when compared to a draw-biased Cobra.

And how do you feel it does off the deck or light rough?

I found it a very neutral flight.

And off the deck it was a launch monster.  So easy to hit. I found the leading edge to make it very easy to hit out of light rough

• 6 months later...