Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Iron Hosel Depth Question

Hello all,

I'm attempting (key word here) to put a new shaft in my Taylormade M1 4-iron.  I bought the head only, it was used but like new, and the hosel looks clean to me.  The only thing I found online about the hosel size online was diameter is .370.  When i try putting my Nippon shaft in, also .370, it seems it will only go half way before it catches onto something in the hosel. 

I measured the amount going into the hosel is about 3/4 inch.  My gut reaction is nope, that's too short and my clubhead will eventually fly off. 

Not sure what I am doing wrong.  Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

For sure 3/4" isn't deep enough.  You want at least 1 1/8" even 1 1/4".

Sometimes those tip weighs get stuck in the hosel, it is hard to see them because they are round they can be mistaken for the bottom of the hosel.   

Could be glue also.   Could be both.

Can you insert something in that hosel like a long nail, to confirm that there is more space in that hosel than the 3/4" you are seeing with shaft.  Also, did you rough up the shaft tip before trying to put in it the hosel?    Reducing the O.D. of the shaft with sanding might help getting the shaft to go in deeper. (oh geez)   Also, sanding the inside of hosel could help improve the depth.   This needs to be done anyway, both surfaces need to roughed up and clean of debris before gluing.    Some guys use dremel tools, I wrap sandpaper around a drill bit and sand the inside walls of the hosel by hand.    

If there is an obstruction, I'd apply heat to the hosel, then give the iron head a bang and see if something else falls out. 

If that doesn't work, then some true workmanship is required.  Some guys on this forum have well-equiped shops with drill presses and dremel tools and the like and have machinist-like skills.  Drilling out a hosel is an advanced skill for sure.   If you have the skills to do this, OK, else I'd take everything to a clubmaker.

I understand the DIY, and I agree that you should be in the 1 1/8-1/14 range. I've drilled out a hosel and it's not fun. Fortunately, it was a graphite shaft and not steel. Epoxy can be a bugger and the best way to remove it is time and patience. I use a wire bit that fits into a drill and I go slow. I try and keep the club repair to a minimum for no other reason than, while I can do most of what I need, sometimes, the guy who does it for a living is better equipped. 

If you have a fitter/club repair person, let them take a peek. They will be able to diagnose and address this quickly. 

Mizuno ST190, 9 degrees, Fujikura Ventus Black 6S

Mizuno ST190, 14 degrees, Fujikura Ventus Black 7S

Mizuno ST200 , 18 degrees, Fujikura Ventus Blue 7X

Miura CB 301, 4 iron, Fujikura Ventus 9x

Miura CB 301, 5-PW Nippon Modus 120S

Miura K Grind, 52, 54 and 58, Nippon Modus 130s  hand ground by Usher Golf

Miura KM 006 LH