TESTERS WANTED! ×

Rules study

Finky999

Other than reading the entire "The Official Guide..", does anyone know a good, interactive way to learn the rules in depth. I don't want become an Official, but would like to know more than my buddies. I'm willing to put the time into some study

image.png.4cc919c0a613c68a06f00980623e3a6e.png

SW: Cleveland CBX 2 56 degree, 12 bounce

GW:  Cleveland CBX 2 52 degree, 11 bounce

6 - 9 irons: Callaway RAZR X HL Irons,  True Temper M-10 XP steel shaft

5H Callaway RAZR X HL 27 degree, 60 lie, 38.75" length

4H: Taylormade 22 degree,   60.5 Lie    40.25" length

3W Callaway Diablo Octane 15 degree, 56 lie, 43"

Taylormade Rocketballz 10.5 degree 46"

Check out the USGA website for a number of options

https://www.usga.org/content/usga/home-page/rules-hub/education.html

Including both beginner and advanced workshops.

Your state golf association may also have resources, I know that the VSGA (Virginia) just announced some virtual seminars, free for members.

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

34 minutes ago, tchat07 said:

The app has some quizzes that you can take. Always find myself learning from the ones I get wrong. Also when in doubt listen to DaveP suggestions, dude flat out knows his stuff!

Sent from my SM-G950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Second!

Mizuno ST190, 9 degrees, Fujikura Ventus Black 6S

Mizuno ST190, 14 degrees, Fujikura Ventus Black 7S

Mizuno ST200 , 18 degrees, Fujikura Ventus Blue 7X

Miura CB 301, 4 iron, Fujikura Ventus 9x

Miura CB 301, 5-PW Nippon Modus 120S

Miura K Grind, 52, 54 and 58, Nippon Modus 130s  hand ground by Usher Golf

Miura KM 006 LH 

10 hours ago, tchat07 said:

Also when in doubt listen to DaveP suggestions, dude flat out knows his stuff!

I appreciate the compliments, but I'm still pretty early in my journey in the rules.  I've learned lots of stuff by simply looking up rules after playing, trying to understand how we SHOULD have handled a questionable situation earlier in the day.  I used to do this on the course if we had time, carried the little rulebook in my bag.  Now you can do it on your phone.  I've learned lots from various online forums, including some that are much less civil than MGS.  GolfWRX has a number of really knowledgeable rules experts.  At some point I spent a couple of bucks and purchased a little 80-page book called "The Principles Behind the Rules of Golf", (you can get it from the USGA) which really helped me to understand the rules as a whole, instead of a bunch of little "unrelated" things.  I've competed in in-house and interclub competitions, and learned how important knowledge of the rules can be at times, once overruling a club pro by simply looking up the rule.  In early 2019, I attended a half-day seminar to learn a little more about the then-new rule changes.  And now I'm signed up for the advanced USGA Rules Workshop.  Its a journey, its not something you can just read and understand.   

So for someone new to the game, I suggest a couple of things.  First might be this from the USGA

https://www.usga.org/content/usga/home-page/rules-hub/a-short-course-on-the-rules.html

The "Principles..." is great, but is probably best read after a player gets some experience with the Rules.

https://www.usgapublications.com/collections/rules-of-golf-2019/products/principles-behind-the-rules-of-golf-paperback-2016-edition?variant=25702107654

Beyond that, look at the USGA Rules Education homepage, and at State Association pages, there are really lots of resources available.

Oh, and if I EVER tell anyone something about the rules, go look it up yourself,  don't trust me to get it right.  We all learn better when we spend some of our own effort.

Edit to add:  The reason you should look up rules for yourself, even if your question may have already been answered, is that you'll become familiar with the Rules.  You'll start to understand how they're organized, you'll learn where to look, you'll realize how to easily get from one place to another (Rule to specific definition to related rule to....).  That may be the single most important tool, the ability to effectively use the rules on your own.

Edited by DaveP043

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/11/2021 at 8:14 AM, DaveP043 said:

I appreciate the compliments, but I'm still pretty early in my journey in the rules.  I've learned lots of stuff by simply looking up rules after playing, trying to understand how we SHOULD have handled a questionable situation earlier in the day.  I used to do this on the course if we had time, carried the little rulebook in my bag.  Now you can do it on your phone.  I've learned lots from various online forums, including some that are much less civil than MGS.  GolfWRX has a number of really knowledgeable rules experts.  At some point I spent a couple of bucks and purchased a little 80-page book called "The Principles Behind the Rules of Golf", (you can get it from the USGA) which really helped me to understand the rules as a whole, instead of a bunch of little "unrelated" things.  I've competed in in-house and interclub competitions, and learned how important knowledge of the rules can be at times, once overruling a club pro by simply looking up the rule.  In early 2019, I attended a half-day seminar to learn a little more about the then-new rule changes.  And now I'm signed up for the advanced USGA Rules Workshop.  Its a journey, its not something you can just read and understand.   

So for someone new to the game, I suggest a couple of things.  First might be this from the USGA

https://www.usga.org/content/usga/home-page/rules-hub/a-short-course-on-the-rules.html

The "Principles..." is great, but is probably best read after a player gets some experience with the Rules.

https://www.usgapublications.com/collections/rules-of-golf-2019/products/principles-behind-the-rules-of-golf-paperback-2016-edition?variant=25702107654

Beyond that, look at the USGA Rules Education homepage, and at State Association pages, there are really lots of resources available.

Oh, and if I EVER tell anyone something about the rules, go look it up yourself,  don't trust me to get it right.  We all learn better when we spend some of our own effort.

Edit to add:  The reason you should look up rules for yourself, even if your question may have already been answered, is that you'll become familiar with the Rules.  You'll start to understand how they're organized, you'll learn where to look, you'll realize how to easily get from one place to another (Rule to specific definition to related rule to....).  That may be the single most important tool, the ability to effectively use the rules on your own.

Thanks DaveP, what a comprehensive set of ideas

SW: Cleveland CBX 2 56 degree, 12 bounce

GW:  Cleveland CBX 2 52 degree, 11 bounce

6 - 9 irons: Callaway RAZR X HL Irons,  True Temper M-10 XP steel shaft

5H Callaway RAZR X HL 27 degree, 60 lie, 38.75" length

4H: Taylormade 22 degree,   60.5 Lie    40.25" length

3W Callaway Diablo Octane 15 degree, 56 lie, 43"

Taylormade Rocketballz 10.5 degree 46"

• 10 months later...
On 2/11/2021 at 3:14 PM, DaveP043 said:

Thank you so much for this recommendations, it's very helpful for me! This year I also plan to attend a seminar on the rules and take an exam, which will also consist of 100 questions. At the moment I am studying at the university and sometimes I have to write a lot of different written assignments. The service https://studyhippo.com/essays-by-categories/ helps me a lot, where I can find examples of studies on a particular topic.

Edited by Jasper Bryant

Just now, Jasper Bryant said:

Thank you so much for this recommendations, it's very helpful for me!

Good luck!  Its interesting to see this old thread get some action after almost a year.  I'll update my own journey, I did attend the USGA Rules Workshop (all virtual) last year, took the 100-question exam, and did even better than I could have hoped for.  Through the Middle Atlantic PGA I was a volunteer Rules Official at one of their competitions, and again at a local district high-school tournament.  In just over a month I'll once again be attending a USGA Rules Workshop, this time in-person in Richmond, VA.  I enjoyed my experiences as an official, and I'm planning to pursue more opportunities when I can.  And if I can help anyone here at MGS, please let me know.  

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure if this is a rules question but I figure those who know the rules understand the handicap. I use the Grint for keeping my handicap and have noticed that all of my countable rounds toward my handicap are from my home course. The issue I see is my home course scores vs everywhere else I play is at least 2-4 "strokes" different, which I feel is skewing my handicap. I wouldn't think this is an issue if it weren't for that I think the rating and slope is inflated (actually just looked it up and the USGA doesn't have a rating or slope for the course so my guess is it has not been done in the last 10 years). Since the course does not have a registered rating and slope should I eliminate using it for handicap purposes? Screenshot_20220130-082019_TheGrint.jpg.4a20f3b546e3e1b3bbcc8080f9211a21.jpg

• 1 month later...
10 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

Sorry for the delayed response.  If the USGA doesn't show an official CR and Slope for your course in their database, scores made on that course wouldn't be acceptable for posting to your official handicap.  This is under Rule 2.1 in the Handicap Rules:

https://rules.usga.org/handicapping/roh/2020-rules-of-handicapping.html

And since I've been outlining my own Rules education journey in this thread, I'll update it again.  A few weeks ago I attended my second USGA/PGA Rules Workshop.  Last year it was all done online, this year I was able to attend in person for three full days of instruction.  Of 100 attendees, there were a fair number who were attending their first or second workshop, along with a fair number who had been to 20 or more workshops.  We had people who are currently on the USGA Rules committee, the lead PGA instructor officiated last year at the Ryder Cup, the PGA Championship, and the Olympics.  The presentations were largely repeats of what I'd seen previously, but some of the discussions during breaks, or during Q&A sessions were really interesting.  So after 3 days of education, I once again took the 100-question exam.  Fast Foreard almost 2 weeks, I got my results, and I improved on my previous score, achieving Expert Certification.

So as I retire from actual gainful employment, I'll be volunteering through both the Virginia State Golf Association and the Middle Atlantic PGA as a Rules Official.  My understanding of the Rules themselves is reasonably decent (still room for improvement), but I know nearly nothing about actually doing the job of Referee or Rules Official.   

Congratulations and I know you will be a worthy Official!  I'm also sure that answering all of the questions here on the forum had to be helpful.  MGS is very lucky to have you as a member!!

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

On 3/23/2022 at 9:03 AM, Kenny B said:

Congratulations and I know you will be a worthy Official!  I'm also sure that answering all of the questions here on the forum had to be helpful.  MGS is very lucky to have you as a member!!

Completely agree! Been able to learn so many things from @DaveP043

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/23/2022 at 2:48 PM, DaveP043 said:

Sorry for the delayed response.  If the USGA doesn't show an official CR and Slope for your course in their database, scores made on that course wouldn't be acceptable for posting to your official handicap.  This is under Rule 2.1 in the Handicap Rules:

And since I've been outlining my own Rules education journey in this thread, I'll update it again.  A few weeks ago I attended my second USGA/PGA Rules Workshop.  Last year it was all done online, this year I was able to attend in person for three full days of instruction.  Of 100 attendees, there were a fair number who were attending their first or second workshop, along with a fair number who had been to 20 or more workshops.  We had people who are currently on the USGA Rules committee, the lead PGA instructor officiated last year at the Ryder Cup, the PGA Championship, and the Olympics.  The presentations were largely repeats of what I'd seen previously, but some of the discussions during breaks, or during Q&A sessions were really interesting.  So after 3 days of education, I once again took the 100-question exam.  Fast Forward almost 2 weeks, I got my results, and I improved on my previous score, achieving Expert Certification.

So as I retire from actual gainful employment, I'll be volunteering through both the Virginia State Golf Association and the Middle Atlantic PGA as a Rules Official.  My understanding of the Rules themselves is reasonably decent (still room for improvement), but I know nearly nothing about actually doing the job of Referee or Rules Official.   

Learning plays a very important role in my life. And this applies to academic learning in the first place. I graduated with a bachelor's degree, then a master's degree and now a postgraduate degree. I visit this website to read very useful articles on various topics that I can use when writing my own research or articles.

Thank you for everything you do!

Edited by Marcus Evans

22 minutes ago, Marcus Evans said:

Thank you for everything you do!

Thanks, trying to answer questions from the members here at MGS is a great way for me to keep on my toes. 

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

On 3/23/2022 at 8:48 AM, DaveP043 said:

And since I've been outlining my own Rules education journey in this thread, I'll update it again.  A few weeks ago I attended my second USGA/PGA Rules Workshop.  Last year it was all done online, this year I was able to attend in person for three full days of instruction.  Of 100 attendees, there were a fair number who were attending their first or second workshop, along with a fair number who had been to 20 or more workshops.  We had people who are currently on the USGA Rules committee, the lead PGA instructor officiated last year at the Ryder Cup, the PGA Championship, and the Olympics.  The presentations were largely repeats of what I'd seen previously, but some of the discussions during breaks, or during Q&A sessions were really interesting.  So after 3 days of education, I once again took the 100-question exam.  Fast Forward almost 2 weeks, I got my results, and I improved on my previous score, achieving Expert Certification.

Congrats on passing the exam achieving 'expert' status.

Just curious what is the difference between Referees and Rules Officials. I've seen both at events but don't understand the difference/limitations of each. 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

2 hours ago, tony@CIC said:

Congrats on passing the exam achieving 'expert' status.

Just curious what is the difference between Referees and Rules Officials. I've seen both at events but don't understand the difference/limitations of each. 

Good question, so I went to the Definitions, this is what a Referee is:

"An official named by the Committee to decide questions of fact and apply the Rules."

There isn't a definition for Rules Official, so I'm thinking they may be basically the same thing.  If you're really interested, go to the Rules and look under Committee Procedures, Section 6C, to see the duties of a person designated as a Referee.

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

• 1 month later...

Hey

~Handicap question~

Just wonder if there any sort of handicap rule for myself as i'm playing no where near what I use to play like?

I use to play golf 18 years ago, off a rough 16 hcp, I've just gotten back into golf,

and my best score : starting back is 95, worst: 115 gross, 112*

101,95,102,104,112,109 ..avg 103

Is it a case of hard luck, I'm stuck till (if) i get better?

any help much appreciated

a bad day at golf, is better than the best day at work!

5 minutes ago, Kiwi_NZ said:

Hey

~Handicap question~

Just wonder if there any sort of handicap rule for myself as i'm playing no where near what I use to play like?

I use to play golf 18 years ago, off a rough 16 hcp, I've just gotten back into golf,

and my best score : starting back is 95, worst: 115 gross, 112*

101,95,102,104,112,109 ..avg 103

Is it a case of hard luck, I'm stuck till (if) i get better?

any help much appreciated

Not sure what you are looking for regarding a handicap rule, but those scores seem quite reasonable for a former 16 'cap that hasn't played in 18 years.  You need to analyze your game; see where you are losing strokes the most; focus practice time on that part of your game.  Scores come down as practice time goes up.  Eliminate penalty strokes, 2-chips and 3-putts does wonders for your score.  If you want to speed up the process, invest in a few lessons from a local pro who will give you drills to use during your practice.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

15 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

Not sure what you are looking for regarding a handicap rule, but those scores seem quite reasonable for a former 16 'cap that hasn't played in 18 years.  You need to analyze your game; see where you are losing strokes the most; focus practice time on that part of your game.  Scores come down as practice time goes up.  Eliminate penalty strokes, 2-chips and 3-putts does wonders for your score.  If you want to speed up the process, invest in a few lessons from a local pro who will give you drills to use during your practice.

So its a case off tough luck, and nothing to do with the 18 year break or my scores or my avg coming back into the game?

I'm using my handicap on avg in 9 holes

No time for practice or lessons...I'm more self taught, I'm just a casual golfer now, not competitive those days are way behind me 🙂

I thought there might of been some sort of : break away from golf rule and or so far his avg suggests a look into his hcp, anyways but cheers for you input 🙂

1 minute ago, Kiwi_NZ said:

So its a case off tough luck, and nothing to do with the 18 year break or my scores or my avg coming back into the game?

I'm using my handicap on avg in 9 holes

No time for practice or lessons...I'm more self taught, I'm just a casual golfer now, not competitive those days are way behind me 🙂

I thought there might of been some sort of : break away from golf rule and or so far his avg suggests a look into his hcp, anyways but cheers for you input 🙂

Handicaps are computed based on your scores;  as you play more golf it gets adjusted and after you play enough rounds it will go up.   

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

10 minutes ago, cnosil said:

Handicaps are computed based on your scores;  as you play more golf it gets adjusted and after you play enough rounds it will go up.   

Thanks, I've been playing golf for a while, when I was younger I use to do the handicapping 😉

The question remains is there any rule for my situation or is it tough luck?

11 hours ago, Kiwi_NZ said:

Thanks, I've been playing golf for a while, when I was younger I use to do the handicapping 😉

The question remains is there any rule for my situation or is it tough luck?

Read the rules of handicapping.  Rule 5 is the applicable area.   

https://www.usga.org/handicapping/roh/2020-rules-of-handicapping.html

If you want the R&A version:  https://www.randa.org/en/rules-of-handicapping/2019/rules/interpretations/rule-5-interpretations#5-7-1

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG