Rules study

Finky999

Other than reading the entire "The Official Guide..", does anyone know a good, interactive way to learn the rules in depth. I don't want become an Official, but would like to know more than my buddies. I'm willing to put the time into some study

image.png.4cc919c0a613c68a06f00980623e3a6e.png

SW: Cleveland CBX 2 56 degree, 12 bounce

GW:  Cleveland CBX 2 52 degree, 11 bounce

6 - 9 irons: Callaway RAZR X HL Irons,  True Temper M-10 XP steel shaft

5H Callaway RAZR X HL 27 degree, 60 lie, 38.75" length

4H: Taylormade 22 degree,   60.5 Lie    40.25" length

3W Callaway Diablo Octane 15 degree, 56 lie, 43"

Taylormade Rocketballz 10.5 degree 46"

Check out the USGA website for a number of options

https://www.usga.org/content/usga/home-page/rules-hub/education.html

Including both beginner and advanced workshops.

Your state golf association may also have resources, I know that the VSGA (Virginia) just announced some virtual seminars, free for members.

• Like 3

:titelist-small: Irons Titleist AP2 714, KBS Tour S, 3 flat

:callaway-small: Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:vokey-small: 52, 56, and 60 wedges

:ping-small: B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

34 minutes ago, tchat07 said:

The app has some quizzes that you can take. Always find myself learning from the ones I get wrong. Also when in doubt listen to DaveP suggestions, dude flat out knows his stuff!

Sent from my SM-G950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Second!

• Like 1

Mizuno ST190, 9 degrees, Fujikura Ventus Black 6S

Mizuno ST190, 14 degrees, Fujikura Ventus Black 7S

Mizuno ST200 , 18 degrees, Fujikura Ventus Blue 7X

Miura CB 301, 4 iron, Fujikura Ventus 9x

Miura CB 301, 5-PW Nippon Modus 120S

Miura K Grind, 52, 54 and 58, Nippon Modus 130s  hand ground by Usher Golf

Miura KM 006 LH 

10 hours ago, tchat07 said:

Also when in doubt listen to DaveP suggestions, dude flat out knows his stuff!

I appreciate the compliments, but I'm still pretty early in my journey in the rules.  I've learned lots of stuff by simply looking up rules after playing, trying to understand how we SHOULD have handled a questionable situation earlier in the day.  I used to do this on the course if we had time, carried the little rulebook in my bag.  Now you can do it on your phone.  I've learned lots from various online forums, including some that are much less civil than MGS.  GolfWRX has a number of really knowledgeable rules experts.  At some point I spent a couple of bucks and purchased a little 80-page book called "The Principles Behind the Rules of Golf", (you can get it from the USGA) which really helped me to understand the rules as a whole, instead of a bunch of little "unrelated" things.  I've competed in in-house and interclub competitions, and learned how important knowledge of the rules can be at times, once overruling a club pro by simply looking up the rule.  In early 2019, I attended a half-day seminar to learn a little more about the then-new rule changes.  And now I'm signed up for the advanced USGA Rules Workshop.  Its a journey, its not something you can just read and understand.   

So for someone new to the game, I suggest a couple of things.  First might be this from the USGA

https://www.usga.org/content/usga/home-page/rules-hub/a-short-course-on-the-rules.html

The "Principles..." is great, but is probably best read after a player gets some experience with the Rules.

https://www.usgapublications.com/collections/rules-of-golf-2019/products/principles-behind-the-rules-of-golf-paperback-2016-edition?variant=25702107654

Beyond that, look at the USGA Rules Education homepage, and at State Association pages, there are really lots of resources available.

Oh, and if I EVER tell anyone something about the rules, go look it up yourself,  don't trust me to get it right.  We all learn better when we spend some of our own effort.

Edit to add:  The reason you should look up rules for yourself, even if your question may have already been answered, is that you'll become familiar with the Rules.  You'll start to understand how they're organized, you'll learn where to look, you'll realize how to easily get from one place to another (Rule to specific definition to related rule to....).  That may be the single most important tool, the ability to effectively use the rules on your own.

Edited by DaveP043
  • Like 5

:titelist-small: Irons Titleist AP2 714, KBS Tour S, 3 flat

:callaway-small: Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:vokey-small: 52, 56, and 60 wedges

:ping-small: B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/11/2021 at 8:14 AM, DaveP043 said:

I appreciate the compliments, but I'm still pretty early in my journey in the rules.  I've learned lots of stuff by simply looking up rules after playing, trying to understand how we SHOULD have handled a questionable situation earlier in the day.  I used to do this on the course if we had time, carried the little rulebook in my bag.  Now you can do it on your phone.  I've learned lots from various online forums, including some that are much less civil than MGS.  GolfWRX has a number of really knowledgeable rules experts.  At some point I spent a couple of bucks and purchased a little 80-page book called "The Principles Behind the Rules of Golf", (you can get it from the USGA) which really helped me to understand the rules as a whole, instead of a bunch of little "unrelated" things.  I've competed in in-house and interclub competitions, and learned how important knowledge of the rules can be at times, once overruling a club pro by simply looking up the rule.  In early 2019, I attended a half-day seminar to learn a little more about the then-new rule changes.  And now I'm signed up for the advanced USGA Rules Workshop.  Its a journey, its not something you can just read and understand.   

So for someone new to the game, I suggest a couple of things.  First might be this from the USGA

https://www.usga.org/content/usga/home-page/rules-hub/a-short-course-on-the-rules.html

The "Principles..." is great, but is probably best read after a player gets some experience with the Rules.

https://www.usgapublications.com/collections/rules-of-golf-2019/products/principles-behind-the-rules-of-golf-paperback-2016-edition?variant=25702107654

Beyond that, look at the USGA Rules Education homepage, and at State Association pages, there are really lots of resources available.

Oh, and if I EVER tell anyone something about the rules, go look it up yourself,  don't trust me to get it right.  We all learn better when we spend some of our own effort.

Edit to add:  The reason you should look up rules for yourself, even if your question may have already been answered, is that you'll become familiar with the Rules.  You'll start to understand how they're organized, you'll learn where to look, you'll realize how to easily get from one place to another (Rule to specific definition to related rule to....).  That may be the single most important tool, the ability to effectively use the rules on your own.

Thanks DaveP, what a comprehensive set of ideas

SW: Cleveland CBX 2 56 degree, 12 bounce

GW:  Cleveland CBX 2 52 degree, 11 bounce

6 - 9 irons: Callaway RAZR X HL Irons,  True Temper M-10 XP steel shaft

5H Callaway RAZR X HL 27 degree, 60 lie, 38.75" length

4H: Taylormade 22 degree,   60.5 Lie    40.25" length

3W Callaway Diablo Octane 15 degree, 56 lie, 43"

Taylormade Rocketballz 10.5 degree 46"