Forged Iron Scars

fixyurdivot

I don't get too worked up about normal nicks and dings in clubs, bag chatter, etc. I did hit a pretty sizable rock underneath the grass at a cheap range last week that gouged my new 54° wedge, that had me a little annoyed 🙄 I guess the "you get what you pay for" adage holds up for cheap driving ranges as well.

Right Handed

Driver (9°): :cobra-small: Speedzone (HZRDUS Smoke Green 70g X-Stiff shaft)

2 Hybrid (18°): :tour-edge: Exotics EXS Pro (Evenflow Black 6.5) (2020 MGS Official Review here)

3/Driving Iron (18°): :Hogan: UiHi Iron (KBS Tour V 110g shaft)

Irons (4-PW)  post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TS-1's (KBS $-Taper 120g Stiff shafts)

Wedges (50°, 54° & 58°) post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TSW Forged (Dynamic Gold S300)

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER2B (2019 MGS Official Review here)

Ball: :Snell: MTB-Black OR MAXFLI Tour OR TP5X

8 minutes ago, ncwoz said:

I don't get too worked up about normal nicks and dings in clubs, bag chatter, etc. I did hit a pretty sizable rock underneath the grass at a cheap range last week that gouged my new 54° wedge, that had me a little annoyed 🙄 I guess the "you get what you pay for" adage holds up for cheap driving ranges as well.

If your handy you can fix this yourself with a little work. If you have a metal machinist file and follow the contour of the club and work in even strokes you can get the gouge out. Then follow up with abrasive pads by hand or carbide hair on a Dremel tool to polish it up. I put a before and after picture from a hit from a fairway with a hidden rock my son found during one of his high school matches. I even saw this happen so I know he wasn't doing something stupid. PS: Don't try this with chrome plated irons.

IMG_0428.jpg.dd7c6c1e012b624939415fe3ba590225.jpg    IMG_0429.jpg.eb1deb03c8db3ce3f9ffaacde7c2796e.jpg  

• Like 3

:ping-small: Driver, G400 11* SR Flex

:taylormade-small: 3 Wood, SLDR  HL 17*  R Flex

:taylormade-small: 5 Wood, SLDR 19* R Flex

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, F6 22.5* R Flex

:Sub70: Irons, 699 Pro's S Flex (5 - AW)

:Sub70:  JB Wedge 56*

:cleveland-small: Wedge, CBX 60*

:odyssey-small: Putter, Marksman Fang 35"

2 minutes ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

If your handy you can fix this yourself with a little work. If you have a metal machinist file and follow the contour of the club and work in even strokes you can get the gouge out. Then follow up with abrasive pads by hand or carbide hair on a Dremel tool to polish it up. I put a before and after picture from a hit from a fairway with a hidden rock my son found during one of his high school matches. I even saw this happen so I know he wasn't doing something stupid. PS: Don't try this with chrome plated irons.

IMG_0428.jpg.dd7c6c1e012b624939415fe3ba590225.jpg    IMG_0429.jpg.eb1deb03c8db3ce3f9ffaacde7c2796e.jpg  

That looks great! I could get my hands on some tools from work without much trouble, but it's a "nickel chrome satin" finish on the club. Would filing the club done remove the finish and expose that portion of the club to rust?

Right Handed

2 Hybrid (18°): :tour-edge: Exotics EXS Pro (Evenflow Black 6.5) (2020 MGS Official Review here)

Irons (4-PW)  post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TS-1's (KBS $-Taper 120g Stiff shafts)

Wedges (50°, 54° & 58°) post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TSW Forged (Dynamic Gold S300)

2 minutes ago, ncwoz said:

That looks great! I could get my hands on some tools from work without much trouble, but it's a "nickel chrome satin" finish on the club. Would filing the club done remove the finish and expose that portion of the club to rust?

The club I fixed had the a satin finish and it has no signs of rust two years later. Remember this is the sole of the club which will always be making contact with the turf. Rust on this surface shouldn't be a factor to worry about. 

I used Scotch Brite for the final polishing. I just went down to my work shop and looked.  

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

The club I fixed had the a satin finish and it has no signs of rust two years later. Remember this is the sole of the club which will always be making contact with the turf. Rust on this surface shouldn't be a factor to worry about. 

I used Scotch Brite for the final polishing. I just went down to my work shop and looked.  

Ah, got it that makes sense. Out of curiosity, why wouldn't that process work with chrome plated irons?

• Like 1

Right Handed

10 minutes ago, ncwoz said:

Ah, got it that makes sense. Out of curiosity, why wouldn't that process work with chrome plated irons?

Once you get through the hard plating you now will have an opening for moisture to get under the plating. Eventually the plating will just start to peel off and work its way around the entire club head. 

• Like 2

I have 3 sets of forged irons - Nike pro combos from 2013, x forged/apex mb combo from 2018 and a set of mp20 mmc/mb combos. There is no way I can play cast or fake-forged again (hollow ones or ones with forged faces - even the apex irons felt harsh to me). As many have said, the feeling of hitting a solid forged iron is worth the scars (both on the clubs, and to your dignity when a slight mishit falls 10 yards short).  From my observation, the forged cavity backs hold up a lot better cosmetically, with the blades appearing a little more dinged up, but the 2018 apex MB is the prettiest iron for my eye and I can live with a few bumps and bruises. Once the face starts browning, though, it is time to move on.

• Like 2

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9deg, 15 deg tensei av blue x flex

Cobra F9 hybrid 17deg, 24 deg

Mizuno MP20 (6,7,8 MMC, 9,PW MB)

Callaway MD4 50, 54, 58

Scotty Cameron Select Squareback 2

I recently bought a set of mp-32s for under $200.  They have bag chatter all over the place but no browning on faces.  They have a few minor gouges that don't affect play. I look forward to putting some wear on the faces.  It's kind of liberating to know that they really can't get much worse from the bag chatter, and I enjoy thinking that all those marks show some of the set's history. 

As for iron covers, I used to use them.  I caught a bit of grief for it, but my opinion is that if you can remove them and put them back on without delaying anyone (which really isn't too hard), then who cares?   

• Like 1

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Flash Driver & 3W

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Flash 2H

:srixon-small: ZX 3U

:cleveland-small: Cobra F7 4-5H

:mizuno-small: MP-32 3-PW OR :srixon-small:Z745 5-PW

:srixon-small: AW 51

:ping-small: 2.0 Glide Stealth 55 & 60

:ping-small: B60 Putter

If you are slamming them into the turf at 70-100mph as you should be then the scars will come often and early. IMO also having a little dark wear spot on the face where you make impact is an amazing look. 

Clubs.jpg

I bought a set of Calloway neoprene covers, and I thought they looked great,  but I found it to stressful worrying about losing them. My solutions was to get a founders club cart bag with the 14 molded dividers. Works great, every club has a spot so it's really easy to find correct club and I never have to wonder if all clubs are there. I picked up an older used model bag for $70. The newer ones  have a better top layout, but I like the one I have. 

I love the look of mizuno forged irons, but I especially the muscle back blades. I will buy and sell a couple sets a week. Sometimes I strip the chrome, but I most times I just use a wire wheel to take shine off, and I the only way I hand rub them with oil and fine scotch brite, I find it very therapeutic to hold those little prices of forged steel in my hands an bringing out the natural beauty of the metal. I polish the faces to re. I've brown spots and use brasso to polish them up, it's purely cosmetic as the chrome is gone. To me, it is that spot tells me someone played them well or at least struck sweet spot consistently. 

On my players the wear mark is like a battle scar, I am proud of it. 

• Like 1

Callaway Mavrik Sub Zero 9.0 driver, aldila rogue white 130msi 70x

Callaway Mavrik Sub Zero 3w and 5w

Aldila rogue white 130 msi 70s

Callaway Mavrik 7w

aldila rogue white 130msi 70S

Mizuno JPX-919 hot metal 

5-lw, tt tour new concept x1 shafts

Odessey triple track 7 putter.

3 hours ago, Cbfodalo said:

I bought a set of Calloway neoprene covers, and I thought they looked great,  but I found it to stressful worrying about losing them. My solutions was to get a founders club cart bag with the 14 molded dividers. Works great, every club has a spot so it's really easy to find correct club and I never have to wonder if all clubs are there. I picked up an older used model bag for $70. The newer ones  have a better top layout, but I like the one I have. 

I love the look of mizuno forged irons, but I especially the muscle back blades. I will buy and sell a couple sets a week. Sometimes I strip the chrome, but I most times I just use a wire wheel to take shine off, and I the only way I hand rub them with oil and fine scotch brite, I find it very therapeutic to hold those little prices of forged steel in my hands an bringing out the natural beauty of the metal. I polish the faces to re. I've brown spots and use brasso to polish them up, it's purely cosmetic as the chrome is gone. To me, it is that spot tells me someone played them well or at least struck sweet spot consistently. 

On my players the wear mark is like a battle scar, I am proud of it. 

Wow, I'm impressed that you're buying and selling a few Mizuno blades a week.  May need to do some business with you!  

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Flash Driver & 3W

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Flash 2H

:srixon-small: ZX 3U

:cleveland-small: Cobra F7 4-5H

:mizuno-small: MP-32 3-PW OR :srixon-small:Z745 5-PW

:srixon-small: AW 51

:ping-small: 2.0 Glide Stealth 55 & 60

:ping-small: B60 Putter

I sold a beautiful set of mp25's that I chrome stripped and I polished to a beautiful satin nickel finish. I I also picked up a set of mx23 forged cavity backs, and my 10vyear old son and I just scotch brite polished with some oil, and did fresh paint fill and sold them with original shafts and grips. I have a set of mp 30 chrome stripped, with RP 6.0 rifle shafts that are also sanded down to a satin finish going to sell in 12 hours. I also have sales pending on two sets of mizuno altron irons, which is the se and the fwd, and a nice old but clean set of Wilson Staff Ultra 45 irons with the firestick 3.5 shafts. 

I just picked up a complete set of msx,  3_pw,sw, 1 w, 3w,5w, all matching mizuno gold graphite shafts, woods are freaking tiny. I also have two sets of mx-23, a  set of mx-25, a ping eye 2 set coming in this week to be refinished and sold. 

I also have a set of mp20hmb and a set of jpx919 forged coming in about 3 weeks, I will be playing the jpx 919 forged with either project x steel 6.0 on them or will swap my amt tour white x100's. Actually probable just going to use the amts as they already have three wraps of tape and my favorite grip on them. The project x will go into the jpx 919 hm pro set I am currently gaming then up for sale. 

I M intrigued by the mp20 hmb (hot metal blades) they are forged but hollow,in long irons and these are brand new so I doubt I will hit them.... 

Edited by Cbfodalo

Callaway Mavrik Sub Zero 9.0 driver, aldila rogue white 130msi 70x

Callaway Mavrik Sub Zero 3w and 5w

Aldila rogue white 130 msi 70s

Callaway Mavrik 7w

aldila rogue white 130msi 70S

Mizuno JPX-919 hot metal 

5-lw, tt tour new concept x1 shafts

Odessey triple track 7 putter.

On 4/3/2021 at 5:47 PM, Cbfodalo said:

My solutions was to get a founders club cart bag with the 14 molded dividers. Works great, every club has a spot so it's really easy to find correct club and I never have to wonder if all clubs are there.

I've looked at those and want to see one close up.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)