TESTERS WANTED! ×

Achilles Tendon Rupture

I wanted to check with the group to find out if anyone has any experience with this surgery and recovery. I just had my surgery on 2/10 so a long road ahead.

Of Course I will be following the instructions of my doctor to the "t" as everyone's injury is a little bit different.  However, looking for any takeaways or tips from someone that may have went through the experience or knows someone that has.  Thanks!

Driver:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngMavrik Sub Zero 9* (Set to 10) Ventus Blue 6X

2 Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSI3 Hybrid Tensei Blue 80 X (17.25*)

3 Hybrid :titelist-small: 818 H2 Hybrid Hzrdus RDX Black 6.5 (20.5*)

4 Iron -  :titelist-small: T200 4 Iron Graphite Design Tour AD IZ X Hybrid Shaft

Irons 5-PW:  :titelist-small: T100-S 5 - GW KBS Tour 130 X

Gap/Sand Wedge:  :titelist-small: Vokey SM6 49*  SM8 54* 

Lob Wedge:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngJaws 5 Wedge 58* DG Tour Issue Stiff

Putter:   :scotty-small: Phantom 5.5 34"      Pro Platinum Newport 2 35"      Taylormade Tour Black Spider 34"

Happened to a buddy, I believe he suffered a full or partial re-tear after the walking boot was off due to a minor slip. Make sure you focus on lots of mobility work all up and down the back of the affected leg - plantar fascia, calves, hamstrings especially with all the extra time spent sitting. 

:ping-small: G425 MAX Driver & 5W

:cobra-small: Baffler Rail-H 3H-4H

:Sub70: 699 Pro Utility V2 - 4i

:callaway-small: APEX CF19 6-AW

INDI Wedges 52, 56, 60 

:edel-golf-1: EAS 2.0

28 minutes ago, juspoole said:

I wanted to check with the group to find out if anyone has any experience with this surgery and recovery. I just had my surgery on 2/10 so a long road ahead.

Of Course I will be following the instructions of my doctor to the "t" as everyone's injury is a little bit different.  However, looking for any takeaways or tips from someone that may have went through the experience or knows someone that has.  Thanks!

Ugh.. 

I feel for you man.  I completely ruptured my Achilles tendon about 10 years ago. Surgeon said it looked like 2 horsetails.  I was on a cast/boot for months.  As of today, I have no mobility issues, but my calves are totally different sizes and shapes.  It felt like forever to get back to walking, but you will get there. 

Do your PT. 

Follow the surgeons instructions to the letter.

Get a knee scooter. (life saver)

find an extra comfortable chair to sleep in for a while.

Pick up some new games for the Playstation....   

Good luck man.  That injury sux.

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

56 minutes ago, juspoole said:

No experience with this, just wanted to express that I'm very sorry to hear you've been hit with this setback.  Hope you'll keep us informed of your progress as you rehab and recover...

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 6 S, 65g Stiff

FW: :titleist-small: TSR2 3w, 15,  :Fuji:Ventus Blue 7 S, 70g Stiff

Hybrids:  :callaway-small: Apex Pro 3H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

:taylormade-small: Stealth DHY 4H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS 5-6, SMS Pro 7-PW, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Wedges: :vokey-small:SM9 48 F Grind, 52 F Grind, 56 M Grind, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Putter: :odyssey-small: Sri-Hot 5K Triple Wide, Stroke Lab shaft

Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1

Click here for my HONMA TR20 Official Review!  :honma:

Click here for my Arccos Caddie Bundle Official Review!   :Arccos:

Click here for my Edel SMS & SMS Pro Irons Official Review:edel-golf-1:

A guy I played softball with had the same thing. He was out of action for the better part of a year. He was smart and followed the recovery instructions and process to a t and the few years after that we played together he had no real issues

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

1 hour ago, MmmmmmBuddy said:

Ugh.. 

I feel for you man.  I completely ruptured my Achilles tendon about 10 years ago. Surgeon said it looked like 2 horsetails.  I was on a cast/boot for months.  As of today, I have no mobility issues, but my calves are totally different sizes and shapes.  It felt like forever to get back to walking, but you will get there. 

Do your PT. 

Follow the surgeons instructions to the letter.

Get a knee scooter. (life saver)

find an extra comfortable chair to sleep in for a while.

Pick up some new games for the Playstation....   

Good luck man.  That injury sux.

My sister could have written this about her experience (except she's not into Playstation).   PT, following instructions, scooter, comfy chair and a lot of patience is what worked for her.   I know from her experience that there's no quick way back, but there are ways to slow it down considerably.  Good luck, juspoole.  I hope you can get to the other side of it.

I always try to remember that I'm not good enough to get mad!

My Bag:

:ping-small:  G400 Max

:ping-small:  G30 3W

:cobra-small: King S9-1 5W

:taylormade-small: Aeroburner 3 Rescue/Hybrid

:ping-small: G400  5-UW

:cleveland-small: RTX4 52* and 56*

:rife-putters-1: 2Bar Mallet

:ping-small: Traverse II Cart Bag

Thanks for the advice and support @00sportsman, @RickyBobby_PR, @BMart519, @Getoffmylawn, @MmmmmmBuddy.  Already looking into a scooter as I'm not a fan of the crutches whatsoever.  Doctor said something similar to me about the tear was fairly severe.  He didn't use that exact terminology of 2 horsetails though, but that's a proper description.

Driver:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngMavrik Sub Zero 9* (Set to 10) Ventus Blue 6X

2 Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSI3 Hybrid Tensei Blue 80 X (17.25*)

3 Hybrid :titelist-small: 818 H2 Hybrid Hzrdus RDX Black 6.5 (20.5*)

4 Iron -  :titelist-small: T200 4 Iron Graphite Design Tour AD IZ X Hybrid Shaft

Irons 5-PW:  :titelist-small: T100-S 5 - GW KBS Tour 130 X

Gap/Sand Wedge:  :titelist-small: Vokey SM6 49*  SM8 54* 

Lob Wedge:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngJaws 5 Wedge 58* DG Tour Issue Stiff

Putter:   :scotty-small: Phantom 5.5 34"      Pro Platinum Newport 2 35"      Taylormade Tour Black Spider 34"

Sorry to hear man, hope you're back in your feet soon, and fully recovered!

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

Sorry to hear about the injury. My father in law just had the procedure done and he was in a cast/boot for 6 weeks or so. Hasn’t really started intensive PT yet, but I know he was super stiff when he got out of the boot.

Wishing you a speedy recovery!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

Can’t provide any advice, but hoping for a quick recovery.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I hope you heal quickly. I don't have any experience with this other than do what the doc says.

Take care, Ben

Mizuno ST190, 9 degrees, Fujikura Ventus Black 6S

Mizuno ST190, 14 degrees, Fujikura Ventus Black 7S

Mizuno ST200 , 18 degrees, Fujikura Ventus Blue 7X

Miura CB 301, 4 iron, Fujikura Ventus 9x

Miura CB 301, 5-PW Nippon Modus 120S

Miura K Grind, 52, 54 and 58, Nippon Modus 130s  hand ground by Usher Golf

Miura KM 006 LH 

Can’t help with advice but hope you’ll heal quickly!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

Speedy recovery wished here as well. My mother had this procedure many years ago now and yes long road to recovery and being older still has mobility issues with something's such as hiking but still runs and does plenty of activity. You got this. Plus another vote for the scooter.

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 9° :Fuji: Ventus Blue 6X  (2021 Official Review) | :callaway-small:Epic Speed 18° Evenflow Riptide 70g 6.0
:titelist-small: 816 H1 21° Mitsubishi Motors Mitsubishi Chemical Holdings Chemical industry Mitsubishi  Rayon Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation, mitsubishi, blue, company png |  PNGEgg Diamana S+ Blue 70 S | 
image.png.08bbf5bb553da418019f0db13c6f4f9a.png SMS 4-5/SMS Pro 6-PW  image.png.267751aa721ee9cf3944fa2ff070b98c.png  Steelfiber i95 S (2023 Official Review)
:ping-small: Glide 4.0 50°.12°S/54°.14°W/58°.6°T PING Z-Z115 Wedge Flex | :cleveland-small:  SOFT 11S Super Stroke Mid-Slim 2.0
:ping-small: Hoofer Bag | :titelist-small: Pro V1 | Right Handed | Tracked by :ShotScope: V3

12 hours ago, juspoole said:

I had a full rupture back on August 24th and surgery on the 3rd of September.  Definitely listen to your doctor. Not sure your height and weight. I'm 5'-9" at 135lbs. Once they let me walk in the boot I was on my feet as long as I could tolerate it. I would ice it nearly every night to keep the swelling down. 

Push yourself in physical therapy, pain is good, but listen to your body. Your tolerance to the pain will gradually increase. If you're in pain take a break, then try pushing again. 

Hang in there buddy, it's not fun.  Be patient, and again listen to your body, last thing you want is to re-injure it.  But you'll look back in 5-8 months and think it was a blur.

It's 90% Mental

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...