TESTERS WANTED! ×

Williamsburg VA

Hey Spies,

Planning our annual golf trip and thought about trying something a bit different this year.  What can you tell me good/bad or indifferent, about the following courses:

Golden Horseshoe (both courses)

The Golf Club at Brickshire

Kingsmill Plantation (the River is being aerated at the time of our trip)

Thanks for the help!

Driver:  :callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero Hzdrs Smoke x flex 70g

3 Wood:  :titelist-small: 917 w/ Diamana Whiteboard stiff

5 Wood : :callaway-small: Epic Flash 18* Hzdrs Smoke stiff

4 Hybrid: image.png.cf6ab25979c6727ff31e6cc6f719636c.png TSi3 Hzdrs Smoke X flex

Irons:  :callaway-small: 5-7  Apex forged 19 w/ Modus 120 X

9-A Apex Pro 19 w/ Modus 120 X

Wedges:  :callaway-small: MD5 52&56 Jaws Dynamic Gold wedge flex

Putter: :titelist-small: Scotty Cameron Phantom 5.5 34"

Hey Spies,
Planning our annual golf trip and thought about trying something a bit different this year.  What can you tell me good/bad or indifferent, about the following courses:
Golden Horseshoe (both courses)
The Golf Club at Brickshire
Kingsmill Plantation (the River is being aerated at the time of our trip)
Thanks for the help!

Golden Horseshoe is great; both courses. Would play there all the time if I could afford too.

Haven’t played brickshire in a few years. Been playing Royal new kent and viniterra more frequently. Royal new Kent is tough and next door to brickshire. Brickshire is a decent course.

Kingsmill has a few course but I believe you need to stay on property to play. I’d only play the river course. Plantation is just meh when comparing the two in my opinion.

Fords colony is decent. Black Heath is the best course.

Been playing Kiskiak recently which is decent.

Williamsburg national is another place to check out.

Also MGS headquarters is about 20-30 minutes south of Williamsburg so you should play them a visit if you have time.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

17 hours ago, cnosil said:

Golden Horseshoe is great; both courses. Would play there all the time if I could afford too.

Haven’t played brickshire in a few years. Been playing Royal new kent and viniterra more frequently. Royal new Kent is tough and next door to brickshire. Brickshire is a decent course.

Kingsmill has a few course but I believe you need to stay on property to play. I’d only play the river course. Plantation is just meh when comparing the two in my opinion.

Also MGS headquarters is about 20-30 minutes south of Williamsburg so you should play them a visit if you have time.

I've played Royal New Kent...that's a Strantz course right?  I only played there once and hit some shots that when I got up to the ball found out my aim point was WAAAAY off...much like all Strantz courses.  So I will definitely play there again.  The package is for FREE replay when we play Golden Horseshoe so from what you are saying sounds like a great deal!  I will definitely be checking out HQ.  That's another reason why I am thinking about this trip.  Want to take some buddies down there with me that are not on the site yet.  Maybe convert these guys...haha 

Driver:  :callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero Hzdrs Smoke x flex 70g

3 Wood:  :titelist-small: 917 w/ Diamana Whiteboard stiff

5 Wood : :callaway-small: Epic Flash 18* Hzdrs Smoke stiff

4 Hybrid: image.png.cf6ab25979c6727ff31e6cc6f719636c.png TSi3 Hzdrs Smoke X flex

Irons:  :callaway-small: 5-7  Apex forged 19 w/ Modus 120 X

9-A Apex Pro 19 w/ Modus 120 X

Wedges:  :callaway-small: MD5 52&56 Jaws Dynamic Gold wedge flex

Putter: :titelist-small: Scotty Cameron Phantom 5.5 34"

4 hours ago, ballplayer002003 said:

I've played Royal New Kent...that's a Strantz course right?  I only played there once and hit some shots that when I got up to the ball found out my aim point was WAAAAY off...much like all Strantz courses.  So I will definitely play there again.  The package is for FREE replay when we play Golden Horseshoe so from what you are saying sounds like a great deal!  I will definitely be checking out HQ.  That's another reason why I am thinking about this trip.  Want to take some buddies down there with me that are not on the site yet.  Maybe convert these guys...haha 

Yep a Strantz course;  meaning blind shots galore and you need to have played the course to really understand where to play.    He has a second course in Williamsburg too that just reopened..... Stonehouse.    I haven't played that course since early 2000s but it was a fun course back then.     

While both GH courses are nice,  definitely pick the Gold over Green.  

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I agree with@cnosil I would definitely go with the River course if you can get on, it's a enjoyable track and if on the right day 16, 17 can be absolutely beautiful. Also agree with Fords Colony, my grandfather was a member there and we played Black Heath a few times and it was always enjoyable.

Sent from my SM-G950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• 4 weeks later...

It's a bummer that the River course is being aerated.  I really love it.  

@cnosil really nailed it.  Colonial Heritage is also pretty good, as I remember.

If you can work in a round on the way down or back up home, check out Mattaponi Springs north of Richmond.  It's a great course, but it beats me up and steals my lunch money whenever I play it.  It's worth stopping for.  Don't let their janky web site scare you off.

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

2 minutes ago, HardcoreLooper said:

It's a bummer that the River course is being aerated.  I really love it.  

@cnosil really nailed it.  Colonial Heritage is also pretty good, as I remember.

If you can work in a round on the way down or back up home, check out Mattaponi Springs north of Richmond.  It's a great course, but it beats me up and steals my lunch money whenever I play it.  It's worth stopping for.  Don't let their janky web site scare you off.

I've only played it once but Mattaponi Springs is a great course.  Hard to believe there is that  much elevation change in this area. 

1 hour ago, cnosil said:

I've only played it once but Mattaponi Springs is a great course.  Hard to believe there is that  much elevation change in this area. 

Interestingly enough, some of the most interesting ground for golf in the Richmond area houses a nine hole goat track near my house.  It's really narrow, and it's generally in awful shape, but it's so much fun to play that I always play it a few times a year.  If they knocked down most of the trees, grew some decent grass on it, and built more interesting greens, it could be the Sweetens Cove of the mid-Atlantic.  And they have batting cages and go karts.

What's in the bag:
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

• 2 weeks later...

Gold course at Golden Horseshoe has an absolutely superb collection of par 3's.   River course is nice, I second the recommendation for Mattaponi Springs as well.

Callaway Rogue ST Max

TaylorMade Stealth 2 4W

TaylorMade Stealth Hybrids (3/4)

Cleveland Classic 5 hybrid

Callaway Apex CF21 irons (6-GW)

Edison wedges

TaylorMade Spider GTX putter

• 4 weeks later...

As a new resident of Williamsburg I am slowly working my way through this list.  I played Kingsmill in college for a tournament and for the price I am not sure that will make my list.  Goal is to play two new tracks any weekend that I am down here without the family.

WITB 2024

Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60g 6.5

M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Sim Ti 22* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Sim2 Rescue 22* Diamana Thump 100x

X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Z Star Diamond

If you're a Donald Ross fan (I am), there are a couple in the Hampton Roads area.

Sewells Point Golf Club in Norfolk (miltary, but accepts public play, can book online)
Woodlands in Hampton (city owned muni, par 69, 5400 yards from the tips)

I've never played Sewells Point (not open to the public when I lived in Norfolk), and it's been 20 years since I've played Woodlands.  @cnosil can probably comment on whether or not they're worth the drive from Williamsburg.

What's in the bag:
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

23 minutes ago, HardcoreLooper said:

If you're a Donald Ross fan (I am), there are a couple in the Hampton Roads area.

Sewells Point Golf Club in Norfolk (miltary, but accepts public play, can book online)
Woodlands in Hampton (city owned muni, par 69, 5400 yards from the tips)

I've never played Sewells Point (not open to the public when I lived in Norfolk), and it's been 20 years since I've played Woodlands.  @cnosil can probably comment on whether or not they're worth the drive from Williamsburg.

I haven't played Sewells Point in quite a while but probably not something I would travel from Williamsburg for.   Same for the Woodlands.    That said if you are a big Ross fan,  playing the courses to add to the list isn't a bad idea.

Speaking of playing,   @HardcoreLooper we need to get a group together and get a round or two in.   I know you were busy on Saturdays with First Tee,  but what kind of availability do you have?  I know there are other Richmond folks;  I could also see of Phillip from MGS would join us for a round.  

12 hours ago, cnosil said:

I haven't played Sewells Point in quite a while but probably not something I would travel from Williamsburg for.   Same for the Woodlands.    That said if you are a big Ross fan,  playing the courses to add to the list isn't a bad idea.

Speaking of playing,   @HardcoreLooper we need to get a group together and get a round or two in.   I know you were busy on Saturdays with First Tee,  but what kind of availability do you have?  I know there are other Richmond folks;  I could also see of Phillip from MGS would join us for a round.  

Good question.  Our spring season is starting this week, so my Saturdays are completely booked for the next 8 weeks or so.  I'm generally available on Sundays, and I'm happy to head east on 64 if Williamsburg is a good central meeting point.  You don't have to twist my arm to get me to come to the 'Burg.  

What's in the bag:
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

Good question.  Our spring season is starting this week, so my Saturdays are completely booked for the next 8 weeks or so.  I'm generally available on Sundays, and I'm happy to head east on 64 if Williamsburg is a good central meeting point.  You don't have to twist my arm to get me to come to the 'Burg.  

I usually play with my normal group on Sunday’s but I’d bail on them for a MGS get together. I know there are a few other spies, don’t know all their userids, in Richmond that we can try and pull in. I know@jmikecpa is available most Sunday’s.

If we want to try to track interest, I created this spreadsheet:  https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1XjE9yWk8WwYNL14rN7DqES4_2RAkvEBJjOJ-Opp41fo/edit?usp=sharing

I need to check with my boss to turn the MAYBE's into YES's

And if we can get a better group on a Saturday, I'll see if I can get someone to cover my classes.

What's in the bag:
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

If we want to try to track interest, I created this spreadsheet:  https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1XjE9yWk8WwYNL14rN7DqES4_2RAkvEBJjOJ-Opp41fo/edit?usp=sharing
And if we can get a better group on a Saturday, I'll see if I can get someone to cover my classes.

That will work, hopefully some of the locals check in. I’ll talk to Phillip and Harry tonight and see if they might be interested in joining us and to check their schedules.

58 minutes ago, HardcoreLooper said:

I am good for the dates that you have for Maybe's.  Only time I am not around is if I head home for the weekend and not sure what dates those will be this far in advance but if we set a date I will make it work.

WITB 2024

Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60g 6.5

M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Sim Ti 22* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Sim2 Rescue 22* Diamana Thump 100x

X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Z Star Diamond

9 hours ago, Jmikecpa said:

I am good for the dates that you have for Maybe's.  Only time I am not around is if I head home for the weekend and not sure what dates those will be this far in advance but if we set a date I will make it work.

OK.  I just realized that 5/9 is Mother's Day, so that's definitely a NO for me.

@cnosil - No fans at the Pure Silk this year, right?

@GolfSpy_THV / @Golfspy_CG2 - Are you guys in?

What's in the bag:
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

OK.  I just realized that 5/9 is Mother's Day, so that's definitely a NO for me.
[mention=15174]cnosil[/mention] - No fans at the Pure Silk this year, right?
[mention=87663]GolfSpy_THV[/mention] / [mention=65448]Golfspy_CG2[/mention] - Are you guys in?

No fans at pure silk but I am working as a walking scorer so we get to attend.

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/14/2021 at 10:24 PM, HardcoreLooper said:

@cnosil - No fans at the Pure Silk this year, right?

@GolfSpy_THV / @Golfspy_CG2 - Are you guys in?

My daughter now has PGA Jr. League on Sundays, so I'm out for weekend golf for a while.  I'll be sneaking in after-work nines when I can, but that's about it.

What's in the bag:
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

11 hours ago, tchat07 said:

I'm a marshal this year since they arent having standard bearers. I tried to get on the walking scorer's but she said you all filled up quick, which I get.

Let me know where you are marshalling or when you are working.  I will be scoring everyday and would love to say hello.    The walking scorer group is pretty consistent year after year but they do get a few new people every year.  Gotta get signed up quick especially since returning volunteers get to sign up early.    I started as a standard bearer and that is a great committee as well;  even sub for them when they are short.  The only reason I switched was because adults only work 2 days of the tournament. 

6 hours ago, cnosil said:

Let me know where you are marshalling or when you are working.  I will be scoring everyday and would love to say hello.    The walking scorer group is pretty consistent year after year but they do get a few new people every year.  Gotta get signed up quick especially since returning volunteers get to sign up early.    I started as a standard bearer and that is a great committee as well;  even sub for them when they are short.  The only reason I switched was because adults only work 2 days of the tournament. 

Yeah I was supposed to a few years ago but that was the year it poured and the tournament was shortened. As of now I'm on hole 3 for Thursday and Sunday. 

18 minutes ago, tchat07 said:

Yeah I was supposed to a few years ago but that was the year it poured and the tournament was shortened. As of now I'm on hole 3 for Thursday and Sunday. 

My  current schedule is:   

• Thursday  grp 14,  approx 8:21, tee 10
  • Friday   grp 41, approx 1:43, tee 1
  • Saturday grp 16 approx 11 tee 1
  • Sunday grp 32. approx 1:30, tee 1

Sat and Sun will probably vary a little based on number of players making the cut and adjustments that need to be make to add/remove scorers from the schedule.  Eager to see who I will be walking with this year 🙂    Maybe you will be the person that provides the driving distance to the scorers.