TESTERS WANTED! ×

What shafts are the AMT Red and Black good for

With so many new clubs and shafts out there I want to find the right shaft for my new irons.

I need a new set of Irons, Driver and Woods. My clubs are more than 10 years old. But having trouble trying to get fitted because of the pandemic.

But I have been reading good things about True Temper AMT. But which one Black or Red? Has anyone have used or currently using any of these shafts? 
I have rifle shafts in my current old clubs but I feel its a bit heavy and somewhat stiff now that I am also getting older. I like that the AMT shafts are light but maybe too light then I wont have any feel for the head. My swing speed roughly 93 to 95 mph

Any recommendations as well for other shafts would work. 

I used to coach The First Tee of San Francisco

18 minutes ago, Theslomo said:

With so many new clubs and shafts out there I want to find the right shaft for my new irons.

I need a new set of Irons, Driver and Woods. My clubs are more than 10 years old. But having trouble trying to get fitted because of the pandemic.

But I have been reading good things about True Temper AMT. But which one Black or Red? Has anyone have used or currently using any of these shafts? 
I have rifle shafts in my current old clubs but I feel its a bit heavy and somewhat stiff now that I am also getting older. I like that the AMT shafts are light but maybe too light then I wont have any feel for the head. My swing speed roughly 93 to 95 mph

Any recommendations as well for other shafts would work. 

I'm not all that knowledgeable, but I was fit into the AMT Red for my Titleist T200s.  You can read my review of the clubs here:

I did get an in-person fitting, and went through a bunch of the "no-upcharge" shafts available through Titleist.  We started out with the KBS Tour, which I had in my previous set of irons.  I honestly hit the clubs well with a variety of shafts, with the AMT Black and Red having the best combination of launch and spin, and ended up choosing the AMT Red based on the anticipated changes that aging will make.  I'm 65 now, and I really believe that I'll want (or maybe need) lighter shafts through the next few years.  My driver speed is just under 100 mph, and my preference was to stay with steel shafts for now.  After a season of experience, I'm pretty happy with the AMT Red.  

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

The Red is the highest launch and lowest weight of the 3 variations (Red, Black and White).  The White is the heaviest and lowest launch and spin. The Black is in between the others.  

14 of the following:

Ping G430 Max 10.5 degree

Callaway 2023 Big Bertha 3 wood set to 17 degrees

Cobra F9 Speedback 7/8 wood set at 23.5 degrees

Callaway Epic Max 11 wood

Ping Eye 2 BeCu 2-SW

Mizuno 923 JPX HM HL 6-GW

Hogan sand wedge 56 degree bent to 53

Maltby M Series+ 54 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 Eye2 58 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 60 degree

Evnroll ER2

Ping Sigma 2 Anser

Cheap Top Flite mallet putter from Dick's, currently holding down first place in the bag

TaylorMade Mini Spider

Bridgestone XS

The white are the original version of the amt shaft. They will play close to the standard dg shafts.

The red is going to be lighter and help promote more launch and spin. Doesn’t mean it will have the same results for everyone. The black is going to promote lower launch and spin. Again individual results will vary.

A lighter shaft may not make a club feel lighter. Bling buying can be fun as many on here do frequently to tinker but if you are going to invest in clubs it’s best to wait til you can get fitted 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

I tried the AMT red and black when shopping my iron set. I couldn't hit either so I stuck with classic DG X100.

Take Dead Aim

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

Lots of great comments already that are in line with what I would say. 

From rifle shafts that are close in weight to Dynamic Gold/Project X shafts in the 127-133g range, with the goal of going lighter, I would suggest the black as a stepping stone and the red is a leap. If you go too light then you might lose your feel and timing - eg the AMT Red. The Black is lighter, but not necessarily in the light category. 

I fall in the camp of believing Shaft weight is more about timing. Small adjustments will have a small influence. Big adjustments will have a big influence. 

Golf is simple - people are complicated.

5w Taylormade SLDR S 19* - 220yd, Ping G2 5-U - 190-105, Maltby M+ 54* & MG 60* - 95-75, Evnroll ER8, Titleist 816 H1 4h 21*, Maltby 4 Hybrid Iron 24* - 210-200, Callaway XR16 8* - 235 carry

886809507_image1(5).jpeg.56bc697c3b02b1fb00feb8d4b66389bc~2.jpeg

On 2/15/2021 at 6:17 PM, RickyBobby_PR said:

The white are the original version of the amt shaft. They will play close to the standard dg shafts.

The red is going to be lighter and help promote more launch and spin. Doesn’t mean it will have the same results for everyone. The black is going to promote lower launch and spin. Again individual results will vary.

A lighter shaft may not make a club feel lighter. Bling buying can be fun as many on here do frequently to tinker but if you are going to invest in clubs it’s best to wait til you can get fitted 

Black lower than white?

WITB:

Taylormade SIM2 Max 9° w/ UST ProForce V2 5F3 @ 45"

Callaway Epic Speed 4wd w/ AccuFLEX Evolution Reg

Dynacraft Genesis 3 hybrid w/ Steelfiber i95r

Srixon ZX5 4-6 and ZX7 7-GW w/ UST Recoil 95 F4 soft stepped once

Cleveland RTX Zipcore 54/10 w/ Recoil 95 F4 shaft

Cleveland RTX-4 58/03 w/ Recoil 95 F4 9i shaft

Odyssey SL EXO Marxman

Pondering:

Nothing at the moment

In the locker:

Too much to list

2 minutes ago, seeking70's said:

Black lower than white?

No, the black is the middle between the the red and white.

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Thanks for the info, I will definitely take this to account. I am 42 and definitely in 10 years I will be needing some lighter shafts. 

I finally got to try the t200 with the AMT black, definitely did not like the feel of the head. I could not see any AMT red shafts in the shop so I may have come back for another time. But I will keep it mind that the Red has higher launch than the black. I tend to the hit the ball high and loose yardage because of that, so I might stick with the AMT black and maybe even try the white.

I used to coach The First Tee of San Francisco