Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Reset

revkev

Living in NJ is what really makes me appreciate golf. 

By Thanksgiving I was burnt out. Didn’t touch a club for most of December. Started putting down the basement more in January and now that it’s mid February the fire is returning and I can’t wait for the snow to melt and get back out on the range.  The 3 month break we get here is really nice and I honestly couldn’t imagine enjoying golf as much if I lived somewhere I could golf year round 

2 minutes ago, revkev said:

Have you ever needed a reset for your game?

I don't know that I've needed a reset, but I get one pretty much every year.  I live in northern Virginia, and I'm looking out at snow-covered fields right now.  We don't always get snow, but we usually get enough cold and wet weather that I play only very occasionally through the winter.  To counterbalance that, I've spent every Thanksgiving for a decade or more in the Pinehurst area, playing 6 or 7 or 8 days in a row.  For the last 4 or 5 years, we've gone to Palm Springs for a week in January, playing every day.  But other than those two weeks, I'll typically only play 2 or 3 times between Thanksgiving and March, on the rare nice day.  I'm good with that, and I honestly don't miss golf through those weeks.  When I get to this time of year, late February, I start to get the itch, but I feel like I approach each Spring with a fesh sense of anticipation.  

I'm really close to retirement, and we're contemplating a move southward, perhaps to the Pinehurst area.  I've definitely wondered whether I'll miss my forced hiatus from golf if I'm able to play more through the winter.  Time will tell!

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

Like DaveP043, usually get a stretch of weather that prevents me from playing. I have only played once since mid December due to weather and other circumstances and am ready to get back out and playing.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

While my child season in Ohio is too short, tbh I enjoy those first weeks off that happen anytime between mid-Nov and mid-Dec. It is nice to rest for a few weeks. But as soon as the calendar flips I am chomping at the bit to be back on the course.

Take Dead Aim

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

I get a winter reset, even if I stay relatively active with putting or some simulator trips it’s not the same.

What always gets me is I usually play well that first round out. Two times I had 3 or 4 birdies on a 9 hole round to start the year.

A lot of that comes with keeping it simple and just dealing with the swing I have that day. I try to remind myself to do that every time I play, but it’s easier that first time out.

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

Like everyone so far I get a reset. Wanted or not.

For me I have times where "I dont feel the need to play" but I feel like if I had the opportunity to play year round...I would. Golf isn't just golf for me its being there, its a stress reliever not a stress causer. Even if I was not playing well just being on the course is my reset from everything else.

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

Weapons of grass destruction (link to WITB)

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Are you a veteran? Check out the Veterans Golf Association (VGA) Thread!

I tend to get a little burnt out by the time the weather changes and enjoy my break from most things golf - I even visit here less often. By the time it gets to be February, I'm ready to go. If only the weather would cooperate.

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR Recoil 760ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW:Sub70: TAIII Black 58*
Putter:ping-small: Scottsdale TR Senita
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball:taylormade-small: TP5x or :titleist-small: AVX (yellow)
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

Testing Complete, Final Review PostedSub70 TAIII Forged Wedges

I tend to get a little burnt out by the time the weather changes and enjoy my break from most things golf - I even visit here less often. By the time it gets to be February, I'm ready to go. If only the weather would cooperate.
Same here, sims and putting aren't cutting it

Take Dead Aim

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

I’ve lived in Florida for 15 years. Prior to that it was CT, Ill, Upstate NY (that’s when I really started playing), IN and WI.

I well remember the weather induced pause - I could handle Indiana where it was from Thanksgiving to St Patrick’s day give or take - Upstate NY and WI were inhuman - CT wasn’t too bad - mid November to the beginning of April normally.

I think a month off is good sometimes - not keen on much more than that though.

It’s been a weird winter for us down here too, way wetter than normal.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I don’t think I’ve ever really sought a reset, they just kind of happen. I’ve had a few times when I’ve been training for a new job and all of the studying and time at home offices took me away for a bit. With not being able to play when it’s less than 50*, and not enjoying cold weather golf anyway, January and February are pretty much a guarantee of not getting on a real course much. This year I’m in the midst of a swing-change, so I really don’t want these two months off.

I never seek the time away from the game, it just naturally happens.

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

I'm fortunate now to be able to play year round. Before we moved to Florida to become seasonal residents, I would use the "off season" for strength training,  and in general more extensive workouts. It seems like when golf season is in play, the workout program is greatly diminished - so I do miss that. As to present day reset, I do a minor reset when I'm playing badly, meaning I'll take a few days off, that tends to eliminate the "bugs" from the last round. 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

18 hours ago, revkev said:

Don't need one but have a forced one every year.

In the bag:
Driver:cobra-small: Darkspeed X 9°  UST Mamiya LIN-Q M40X Blue 7F4
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:callaway-logo-1: Fairway 14 stand bag
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

Nature gives me a reset every year, which I enjoy. But to be honest, my life doesn't revolve around golf. It's a fun hobby, but it isn't the only thing in my life. I've got stuff with my kids & their art/music to keep me busy, my own music hobbies, reading... it's not like I get to December and feel worn out from golf because I played too much. I do enjoy the feeling of finally getting back to the range & course in March/April when it warms up, but I also don't chomp at the bit and pace the house until it happens either.

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

Living where one can play year round is great but on occasion I’ve found there needs to be some time off for a reset. I only played sporadically from thanksgiving to New Years and when I did my round were uninspiring - I had a good time socially but the golf was terrible.

My plan was to hit it hard in the New Year and then came my COVID lockdown, Penny’s illness, a rash of funerals and an injury. I went 6 weeks with only a few SuperSpeed workouts, 1 trip to the range and one visit to the putting green.

Finally got to play yesterday, the weather was ugly, windy, wet to start, showers on and off throughout, the groups in front us us quit after 9 but we stuck it out. Played very well, hit 7 greens on the back, chipped in for birdie on one of the misses, shot 35.

Didn’t plan it but this was a great reset - playing again Saturday and have several future round scheduled hopefully I will be in good shape for the start of my league play in April.

Yes, even happens in the summer, just for a few days them Im ok.

Sent from my SM-A716U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

When baseball season comes around, I coach the Freshman team at the school I teach at, it is always a hard reset as there is no time to steal away for a round. It usually means that my game is slow to start and I play my best in the early/mid summer which is peak season here in OK!

Driver:  :titelist-small: TSi3 Tester Check out the Review HERE

2-Iron- :Sub70: 699-U

5-Wood:  :Sub70: Pro (18*) 

Irons :  :ping-small: i210 4-PW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:  RTX-4 50* and 54* RTX-3 *58

Putter::1332069271_TommyArmour: Impact No. 3

Ball:  MAXFLI TOUR 

Tracked by: :Arccos:  

Bag: BagBoy ZTF Stand Bag (REVIEW HERE)

When baseball season comes around, I coach the Freshman team at the school I teach at, it is always a hard reset as there is no time to steal away for a round. It usually means that my game is slow to start and I play my best in the early/mid summer which is peak season here in OK!

Thanks for coaching! Are you able to play this season? I know some states are not allowing high school sports. I get contact sports but you’d think baseball would be allowed.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Yes.. I recall a time a few seasons ago when I really felt my golfing was going in the waaay wrong direction - didn't want to give up, as I really enjoy the game and its challenges - so decided to sort of simplify things... I'd been way too focused not only on specific techniques but on my equipment, so took a Sunday bag with a few old clubs and dressed in sweats and non-golf shoes and went out and just hit the ball towards the hole (yes: a lotta LOTTA times, too many times, but that's a whole 'nuthah story!) .. and after that I loosened up and got back to enjoying the game vs stressing about it. 

Also, I'll mix things up by alternating in a Par 3 course to focus working on target practice / [trying to...] hitting greens.

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grips)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

I've had two weeks off; one to move my dad's stuff out of his apt, and one due to lots of snow. Another week off due to snow is very likely.  I haven't really picked up a club in all that time.  I've wanted to head out to my hitting bay, but it's been 18-25º and I'm old.  I've watched a few of Monte's swing videos, but that's in preparation for my in-person clinic with Monte on March 27-29 in Irvine, CA.  I should have 3 weeks to get prepared.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

No reset for me. I had way too much reset time when a company and career owned me.  I retired early in hopes of getting back some of that lost time playing the first sport I was introduced to.  We snowbird, so with the exception of some lousy late spring or early fall Montana weather, I can play almost all year.  I do fly fish quite a bit back home and golf about half as often as here in AZ... so I guess that's a partial reset.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

We got shut down last season, after only 6 games. But so far we are on schedule for a start this Monday!!

If the snow ever melts

Thanks for coaching! Are you able to play this season? I know some states are not allowing high school sports. I get contact sports but you’d think baseball would be allowed.

We got shut down last season, after only 6 games. But so far we are on schedule for a start this Monday!! Wearing masks of course.

If the snow ever melts that is.

5 hours ago, HeathS16 said:

We got shut down last season, after only 6 games. But so far we are on schedule for a start this Monday!! Wearing masks of course.

If the snow ever melts that is. emoji28.png

Masks?  While playing?  We have never had to wear masks to play; only when entering the clubhouse.

And I thought WA was strict!  Only two people in the clubhouse at a time, and only one person in the bathroom at a time.  Makes it difficult when making the turn.  We still can't have trash cans on the course!!

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Usually,I play 52 weeks a year. This year, we sold our house in mid-December so I had a self imposed pause to pack and move. We got a rent house about 1/4 mile away but still had to pack and move.

I didnt play for 6 weeks as a result. I didnt really miss it because I was too busy.

Now, we've had the blizzard of 2021 so missed another two weeks. Played well the two times I played since Dec 1, but am looking forward to my regular rounds.

Sent from my SM-G950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Masks?  While playing?  We have never had to wear masks to play; only when entering the clubhouse.
And I thought WA was strict!  Only two people in the clubhouse at a time, and only one person in the bathroom at a time.  Makes it difficult when making the turn.  We still can't have trash cans on the course!!

Luckily, not while playing just in the dugouts and on deck circle.

I think it's completely natural to occasionally have a down period where a hobby or at least part of a hobby isn't in the forefront of your life. Obviously, everyone has different reasons as this thread shows - family, weather, work commitments, coaching, etc. - and other times I'm a believer you really can have "too much of a good thing."

As someone who doesn't have a lot of additional responsibilities, familial or otherwise, golf takes up a rather large part of my free time, but I'm careful to spread around what I'm doing. Downtime is great to "sharpen the saw," so to speak, so a lot of the winter months are more focused on things like diet, exercise and learning about club design, building clubs, etc., rather than the physical parts of actually playing golf and the golf swing. I still try to get to the range once a week to stay semi-fresh, with the hope it won't take me several weeks to shake off the winter rust come springtime.

Winter also tends to be when I focus more on the other small hobbies I have, which rotate in an out based on what I'm feeling at a given time. 

I was actually thinking about this yesterday on my way home from a frustrating range session. I rarely hit the range on back-to-back days in the winter, and my sessions Saturday and Sunday were both pretty lackluster. While I've enjoyed my time hitting balls and practicing this winter, mentally I'm just a little burned out from doing nothing but hitting balls into the white snow. I'm ready to be playing again.

Unofficial WHS Handicap: 7.5 / Anti-Cap: 13.0 (Last Updated Feb. 19, 2024)

Driver: callaway_logo.png.3dd18aa65544000dd0ea3901697a8261.png Callaway Paradym TD (10.5°, -1/N), 45.75", Fujikura Motore X F1 6X | Fitting Post
3 Wood: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra RadSpeed Big Tour (14.5°), 43", Fujikura Motore X F1 7X
20° Hybrid: PXG_Logo.png.8401024d1fb8aec46f0e790c1aa5b80c.png PXG 0211 (2020 Model), 40.25", Mitsubishi Tensei AV RAW White 90X
4 Utility: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra KING Utility (2020 Model), 38.5", Aerotech SteelFiber i110cw Stiff
5-PW:
logo-Ben-Hogan-large.png.98d743ae5487285c6406a1e30a0a63b5.png Ben Hogan PTx Pro, 37" 7 Iron, Aerotech SteelFiber i125cw Stiff | Club Champion Fitting
50°, 54°, 58°:
231036130_Edel_Golf_Logo_v2_grandecopy.png.13cc76b963f8dd59f06d04b1e8df2827.png Edel SMS, V Grind, Nippon Modus 125 Wedge| Official Review Thread
Putter:
image.png.49fcc172a1ed0010d930fbe1c5dc8b79.png L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1, 36", 68°, Black with Custom Sightlines, BGT Stability Tour, L.A.B. Press II 3° | Unofficial Review
Grips: 
stargrip.png.4285948f41f1409613266e7803f0bbaa.png Star Sidewinder, Undersized with Custom Tape Build-Up
Ball: :Snell:Snell MTB-X Optic Yellow

Tracked By: shotscope.png.4a7089f2bddff325285b1266a61dda03.png  Shot Scope H4
Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Personalized 2020 Sun Mountain Sync
Riding On: 
image.png.1db52ce91db040317a9ac580f1df8de8.pngBag Boy Nitron | Official Review Thread

WITB? | 2022 Reviewer Edel SMS Wedges | 2021 Reviewer Maxfli Tour and Tour X Balls2020 Participant #CobraConnect Challenge | 2019 Reviewer Callaway Epic Flash Driver

I can relate to Rev since we live in similar climates and have access to golf year round, but for me golf is a break from everything else going on so I've never really found myself wanting to reset. Maybe I need new/more hobbies? Maybe I should get back in the water, might help me gain some MPH's -- but will likely just further mess my back up haha.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

He’s talking about baseball, Kenny, not golf.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches