TESTERS WANTED! ×

Miura did WHAT?!?!?

Shank Aaron

Did not see this coming. Admittedly, I haven't exactly been keeping an eye out, if I'm honest, but a 2-piece club from Miura is definitely piqued my interest. What do my fellow Spies think?

cig-cozy-gallery-6629pth-pi-401-toe-s.jpegcig-cozy-gallery-66291bF-pi-401-sole-s.jpegcig-cozy-gallery-6629XoY-pi401-feature-s.jpegcig-cozy-gallery-6629L1d-pi-401-ge-s.jpegcig-cozy-gallery-6629Yje-pi-401-face-s.jpeg

Shank's Tentative 2024 WITB

O.B. Finder- Paradym Smoke Ai TD 9*/Ventus TR Blue 6X +1/D

FW- Callaway UW 17*/VA Composites Nemesys 7X

4H- Paradym Super Hybrid/Ventus Velo Blue 8X

5-AW- Apex 21 $-Taper 120S Blackout- (almost time for a new set of something....)

Spoons- Vokey Jet Black SM9 50.08 F/54.10 S/58.08 M Jet Black/Accra iWedge Tour (Until the SM10's drop)

Flat One- Bettinardi Hive Poison Kool-Aid Innovai 6.0

Left Dash ALL DAY/14-way Vessel Players 4 (Thank GOD they finally fully enclosed each club pocket)

I don't know Joe... these don't turn me on like some of the other Miura clubs.  They look pretty good, but it's almost the same for me as it was with the HMB from mizuno...  They're known for their one piece amazing forgings.  Anything that goes a new direction you have to raise an eyebrow at.  

That said, I bet I know a guy who knows a guy who knows a guy.... 🤣

BNewt51

Golf Addict.... Father of 4.  Pennsylvania Golfer 

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond - Ventus Red X :callaway-small:

3 Wood:  TS2 14* :titleist-small:

Hybrid:  Titleist TSI 2 18*  (Only used on Soft Rainy days)  image.png.94e8f04243fe8584238d70d382b90525.png

Utility Irons:  4 iron (Steel Fiber FC 110 - Stiff)  image.png.edaa152b6173d27a9529d0f1d7fcc172.png

Irons:  Titleist T-150 4-PW Steel Fiber CW 110 - Stiff  :titleist-small:

Wedges:  Vokey 48-8 Vokey 54-10 Vokey 58-6 all SM9's  :titleist-small:

Putter:  Scotty Cameron Special Select 5 Flowback (custom shop copper finish) or Bettinardi QB8  :titleist-small:  :bettinardi-small:

Ball:  Pro-V1x :titleist-small:

Titleist Tour Carry Bag Black and White  :titleist-small:

Bushnell Range Finder (Patriot Pack)  

*King of taking (borrowing) all my club ***** friends clubs after they've discarded them after a couple months!

Makes me think of Srixon Z545 with the black border. Not the same, but what it made me think of.

CDB5C24D-CA8C-43AB-9E40-4496D7D3654D.jpeg

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

1 hour ago, BNewton51 said:

I don't know Joe... these don't turn me on like some of the other Miura clubs.  They look pretty good, but it's almost the same for me as it was with the HMB from mizuno...  They're known for their one piece amazing forgings.  Anything that goes a new direction you have to raise an eyebrow at.  

That said, I bet I know a guy who knows a guy who knows a guy.... 🤣

No, I agree. I have nothing but love for the Miura forging process having experience it first hand for a few years, but it does intrigue me that they've went this direction. I'm more curious about the model than shocked. I just want to hit them side-by-side with my CB-301's and TC-201's and compare.

I don't imagine they will be difficult to get ahold of, but if they are.........I might know a guy who knows a guy.......🤣

5-AW- Apex 21 $-Taper 120S Blackout- (almost time for a new set of something....)

Spoons- Vokey Jet Black SM9 50.08 F/54.10 S/58.08 M Jet Black/Accra iWedge Tour (Until the SM10's drop)

Left Dash ALL DAY/14-way Vessel Players 4 (Thank GOD they finally fully enclosed each club pocket)

1 minute ago, Shank Aaron said:

No, I agree. I have nothing but love for the Miura forging process having experience it first hand for a few years, but it does intrigue me that they've went this direction. I'm more curious about the model than shocked. I just want to hit them side-by-side with my CB-301's and TC-201's and compare.

I don't imagine they will be difficult to get ahold of, but if they are.........I might know a guy who knows a guy.......🤣

Expanding their market

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

15 minutes ago, Shank Aaron said:

It's funny because it seems EVERYONE is getting into this Multi-piece forging business this year.  And even more OEM's are starting down the route of hollow player's type irons.  Not sure if that's going to be the wave of the next few years, but it's fascinating to see everyone coming out with their own versions.   

Miura is interesting but not all to surprising given what we've seen out of Mizuno lately.  The HMB's from mizuno were a real shocker to me when they came out and I only see those as continuing to improve over their next iterations.  But being as though geographically they are very close to each other and their business models are similar I can see that this might be the first in what Miura tries to do down the road. 

BNewt51

Hybrid:  Titleist TSI 2 18*  (Only used on Soft Rainy days)  image.png.94e8f04243fe8584238d70d382b90525.png

Utility Irons:  4 iron (Steel Fiber FC 110 - Stiff)  image.png.edaa152b6173d27a9529d0f1d7fcc172.png

Putter:  Scotty Cameron Special Select 5 Flowback (custom shop copper finish) or Bettinardi QB8  :titleist-small:  :bettinardi-small:

*King of taking (borrowing) all my club ***** friends clubs after they've discarded them after a couple months!

1 minute ago, BNewton51 said:

It's funny because it seems EVERYONE is getting into this Multi-piece forging business this year.  And even more OEM's are starting down the route of hollow player's type irons.  Not sure if that's going to be the wave of the next few years, but it's fascinating to see everyone coming out with their own versions.   

Miura is interesting but not all to surprising given what we've seen out of Mizuno lately.  The HMB's from mizuno were a real shocker to me when they came out and I only see those as continuing to improve over their next iterations.  But being as though geographically they are very close to each other and their business models are similar I can see that this might be the first in what Miura tries to do down the road. 

Not that these are hollow, I should point out.  I realized after I posted that it might seem as though I was inferring that these are hollow.  But same thought process here.  Definitely an expansion of their market appeal. 

BNewt51

4 minutes ago, BNewton51 said:

Not that these are hollow, I should point out.  I realized after I posted that it might seem as though I was inferring that these are hollow.  But same thought process here.  Definitely an expansion of their market appeal. 

I completely agree. It does seem like the industry is trending towards the hollow/multi piece "forged" iron. When Srixon announced their ZX line my inner child immediately thought "I wonder if Miura plans to release a version". Lo and behold, here we are. As an engineer it's interesting to see what each OEM has done with their versions in design and construction and try to breakdown how each one's offering works in their claims for improvement, and the same goes for the Miura if I get the chance. Maybe it's just the skeptic in me, but when I test a new club I'm always paying attention to how it performs against it's claims. I like to think of myself as a Jr. Mythbuster with way too much curiosity and not enough time. 

While I don't think this model will push Miura any closer to your local golf stores shelves anytime soon, I do think this is just the tip of the iceberg for them and other JDM manufacturers to jump into what's basically a wide open category. Personally, I think a new category for the OEM's to have a death match in is refreshing. All we have to wait for now is Ping to release the i59/i565 irons and the fighting can begin!

I think the challenge/process of figuring out what iron will work best just keeps getting more difficult 🤪.  My other thought is what is the primary driver on the hollow, or goo filled hollow, multi-piece designs?  Is it as much or more mfg. cost driven (improved ROI) as it is the ability to explore, tweak, and improve on (as compared to MB)?  For instance the latest AI and backside machining of the face and the ability to grow this in subsequent releases.  

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

9 hours ago, Shank Aaron said:

I completely agree. It does seem like the industry is trending towards the hollow/multi piece "forged" iron. When Srixon announced their ZX line my inner child immediately thought "I wonder if Miura plans to release a version". Lo and behold, here we are. As an engineer it's interesting to see what each OEM has done with their versions in design and construction and try to breakdown how each one's offering works in their claims for improvement, and the same goes for the Miura if I get the chance. Maybe it's just the skeptic in me, but when I test a new club I'm always paying attention to how it performs against it's claims. I like to think of myself as a Jr. Mythbuster with way too much curiosity and not enough time. 

While I don't think this model will push Miura any closer to your local golf stores shelves anytime soon, I do think this is just the tip of the iceberg for them and other JDM manufacturers to jump into what's basically a wide open category. Personally, I think a new category for the OEM's to have a death match in is refreshing. All we have to wait for now is Ping to release the i59/i565 irons and the fighting can begin!

You had to mention the i59 / i565 didn't you? 🤣

This might be the first year I end up going with two sets, well one but since I just paid $50 for a wonka ticket why not right?

But yes, I agree 100%.  I think that this was Muira seeing if this moves the needle for them.  To a lesser extent, I sort of believe that Mizuno and Srixon did the same.  With Callaway and Taylormade pretty much announcing their intentions to start going more hollow clubs they had to I reckon.  You add in titleist with their one major GI clubs (though I think next cycle they come strong with a players version) you really start to see that the trending towards that direction is where all the OEM's seem to be headed.  Totally fascinating to me as an equipment ho / nerd.  

I think it'll be fascinating to see testing results after everything is all said and done and released as to what people find to be the best in class.  I suppose that depends on their market.  Do they want to be a true players club?  Are they trying to just be players distance?  Are they trying to be a forgiving "quazi forged" players GI type club?  So many differing angles they could take.  

Better limber up the ole back so I can get to hitting them all! lol

BNewt51

11 hours ago, Shank Aaron said:

I agree about the forgings. I received an email from Miura this morning and was a little turned off. Makes me wonder if I need to call my guy and secure a set of back up irons before they go the way of the dinosaur. I was also a little surprised at the price going to $330/club MSRP. 

Mizuno ST190, 9 degrees, Fujikura Ventus Black 6S

Mizuno ST190, 14 degrees, Fujikura Ventus Black 7S

Mizuno ST200 , 18 degrees, Fujikura Ventus Blue 7X

Miura CB 301, 4 iron, Fujikura Ventus 9x

Miura CB 301, 5-PW Nippon Modus 120S

Miura K Grind, 52, 54 and 58, Nippon Modus 130s  hand ground by Usher Golf

Miura KM 006 LH 

I saw the announcement of these earlier today. They look very appealing from the top down.  The top line isn't too thick, the offset isn't too much, but turn them over and there's a battleship hull!  Not to say that I wouldn't try them out one day.

Driver: Cobra Speedzone 10.5 Mitsubishi AV Blue S flex

Wood: Cobra Bio Cell 3-4 Grafalloy Pro Launch Blue (low launch original version) S flex

Hybrids: Taylormade GAPR 3 KBS graphite shaft

Strata 4 and 5 hybrids R flex

Irons: Strata 6-PW R flex

Wedges: Texan Classics 52, 56, 60 R flex

Putter: Odyssey Red Ball mallet

Ball: Srixon Q Star Tour

I typically like most Miura designs but this one honestly turns me off. It just looks like another average multi piece club and the lines on the bottom almost make it look kind of cheap. I'm sure these look better in person but these pictures aren't helping the cause. The irons just don't seem to look like a Miura design. 

14 hours ago, BKordon said:

I agree about the forgings. I received an email from Miura this morning and was a little turned off. Makes me wonder if I need to call my guy and secure a set of back up irons before they go the way of the dinosaur. I was also a little surprised at the price going to $330/club MSRP. 

Yeah, I think the pricing will take them right out of consideration for roughly 95% of the GI market, but they do tout them as being an iron for all skill levels. Then again, I'd pull a @BNewton51 and find a guy who knows a guy before paying retail......

1 hour ago, Shank Aaron said:

Yeah, I think the pricing will take them right out of consideration for roughly 95% of the GI market, but they do tout them as being an iron for all skill levels. Then again, I'd pull a @BNewton51 and find a guy who knows a guy before paying retail......

My guy agreed with the idea that the forged offerings do look better and is putting together a back up set go CB301's for me, but is currently out of heads on a few irons. 

Miura KM 006 LH 

4 hours ago, Shank Aaron said:

Said guy @Shank Aaron and @BKordon isn't always a good thing to have in your back pocket... They tend to cost you dearly and make you spend more money than you should!  Just saying... 🤣

BNewt51

4 minutes ago, BNewton51 said:

Said guy @Shank Aaron and @BKordon isn't always a good thing to have in your back pocket... They tend to cost you dearly and make you spend more money than you should!  Just saying... 🤣

So true; but golf.

Miura KM 006 LH 

12 minutes ago, BNewton51 said:

I assume zero responsibility for your shopping habits, good sir. 

6 hours ago, Shank Aaron said:

I assume zero responsibility for your shopping habits, good sir. 

I'm sure you don't my good man!  BUT, just because you claim innocence doesn't necessarily mean it's so!  🤣

BNewt51

42 minutes ago, BNewton51 said:

I'm sure you don't my good man!  BUT, just because you claim innocence doesn't necessarily mean it's so!  🤣

I believe it is called plausible deniability. 

Miura KM 006 LH 

12 hours ago, BNewton51 said:

Ok.........you got me in a box there......