TESTERS WANTED! ×

Tips in iron shafts

I have been removing shafts from lots of iron sets of late to clean and buff them out. 

I noticed some shafts have a brass plug in the tip, some do some don't.  Is this plug for increasing swing weight?   Seams like a weird place for additional weight inside hosel.  Funny thing its in some irons but not all in same set.  I have found about 6 of these plugs in 4 sets of clubs.  At first i thought it was to reinforce tip.  With weight and placement thereof being so much talked about with new clubs designs, I am really curious what these plugs are for.  

Callaway Mavrik Sub Zero 9.0 driver, aldila rogue white 130msi 70x

Callaway Mavrik Sub Zero 3w and 5w

Aldila rogue white 130 msi 70s

Callaway Mavrik 7w

aldila rogue white 130msi 70S

Mizuno JPX-919 hot metal 

5-lw, tt tour new concept x1 shafts

Odessey triple track 7 putter.

Are you sure they're not shims?

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSR2 Project X HZRDUS Black 5.5
Fairway: :callaway-small: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

Probably tip weights. Yes they are used to get the swing weights correct. The builder probably dry fit all the components and then; due to manufacturer tolerances, put tip weights in the clubs that needed more head weight.

Since most irons don’t have an easy way to adjust weight this is a common method. The other would be lead top on the outside

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

3 hours ago, MattF said:

Are you sure they're not shims?

I don't think they where shims as they went into the shaft tip and where not bigger then shaft so cannot see how it would be shim.  Now I am going to have to learn about swing weights and how to adjust.  Those weights in the tip hosel seam like a not so great idea....

Callaway Mavrik 7w

Mizuno JPX-919 hot metal 

Yes those are tip weights, like cnosil said they are often installed in builds to get a uniform swing weight throughout the set.  They are often installed both from the factory or from a 3rd party builder.  Typically you see them from the factory to account for weight tolerances on the casting or forging process.  I personally use them because I prefer a swing weight heavier than what most OEM's design irons to come out at.

There are generally 3 "easy" ways to adjust swing weight.  You can add lead tape to the club head, it's the easiest if you don't need to add a ton of weight but many people don't like the way it looks.  If you don't want to rebuilt the clubs you can pour lead powder down the shaft and then put in a cork to hold it in place.  If you don't mind rebuilding the clubs or are starting with separate components already then a tip weight is the way to go.  

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

Definitely tip weights.  I, too, prefer high swingweights in my clubs.  Sometimes, I'll even use a top weight and then add a little tungsten (not lead) powder on top of it.  If I'm shooting for 9.8g, I'll use an 8g on and 1.8g of powder.

Not sure why it seems like a "not so good idea". That's the way it has been done for years.

WITB:

Taylormade SIM2 Max 9° w/ UST ProForce V2 5F3 @ 45"

Callaway Epic Speed 4wd w/ AccuFLEX Evolution Reg

Dynacraft Genesis 3 hybrid w/ Steelfiber i95r

Srixon ZX5 4-6 and ZX7 7-GW w/ UST Recoil 95 F4 soft stepped once

Cleveland RTX Zipcore 54/10 w/ Recoil 95 F4 shaft

Cleveland RTX-4 58/03 w/ Recoil 95 F4 9i shaft

Odyssey SL EXO Marxman

Pondering:

Nothing at the moment

In the locker:

Too much to list

I guess what confuses me is all this talk of strategically located weight in perfect spot down low or toward toe to make club more forgiving, then add weight to the hosel which is high and toward heel, just seams contradictory.  

My gut tells me a heavier shaft and heavier club head would result in better more consistent strikes for me.  So I have tt 130g sour concept shafts on my jpx919's.  I might weigh all the clubs to see what I find.  

Callaway Mavrik 7w

Mizuno JPX-919 hot metal 

2 hours ago, Cbfodalo said:

I guess what confuses me is all this talk of strategically located weight in perfect spot down low or toward toe to make club more forgiving, then add weight to the hosel which is high and toward heel, just seams contradictory.  

My gut tells me a heavier shaft and heavier club head would result in better more consistent strikes for me.  So I have tt 130g sour concept shafts on my jpx919's.  I might weigh all the clubs to see what I find.  

that may work for you.  You need to remember swingweight and total weight are two completely different things.  Also changing the weight of components impacts club performance.   Although tip weights are a standard way to do things,  you are free to do something else.  but if you all your components and the grip one one clubs is a gram or two heavier and the clubhead is a gram or two lighter you have changed the swingweight and need to figure out how to get the value correct.  tip weights, lead tape on the head, and powder down the shaft are really your only options unless you want to play it like it is. 

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG