Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

To Fit or not!!

Freddie

Just finished watching a great discussion on MGS about Truegolffit and custom fitting.  I am looking to replace my irons and hybrids.  I have been fitted before at various places; none of which did a super job.  My last fitting was about 7 years ago and I was closer to a 25 - 30 handicap at the time.  Now I'm down to around an 18 handicap at worse.  From all my purchases so far I'm very standard in terms of length and lie.  I think my lie should have been adjusted on my irons by 2 degrees but they suggested to try them and we could adjust later.  Never needed to.  I'm 6' tall, 61 yrs old and my driver swing speed is 89 mph.  I hit my 7 iron 145 to 150 yds.  I do like the golf pride mcc plus 4 grips and have used them the past 5 years.  I'm standard flex.  So I do know what I need and think that I could buy off the rack if I had too.

I was thinking of going the club fitting route but after watching the MGS discussion I'm very leary on this.  First of all, I've not been able to find a good club fitter in my city.  I think that is out.  Second, based on past fittings I would think that if I went to 3 fittings I'd end up with 3 different iron sets which to me would indicate that there are a few options out there that would work and that I don't think that the fitters are able to look at all the options out there in a one hour fitting.   Also, I've never been able to swing a club with my size grip on it....always been the standard grip which usually is smaller than what I use.

After all of this I'm wondering is the fitting process really worth it for me or should I just try out a few irons in a bay (when we can again) and select the one that I like after that based on comparison for distance, dispersion and feel?

Thanks,

I still suggest a fitting since its been 7 years.  They don't cost that much and you can get some additional details about your current clubs and how they compare to current technology.  Good luck with the search and have fun with it.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

Having equipment that fits ones swing makes for less swing manipulations to get the clubs to do what one wants.

Fittings aren’t going to automatically make one better and score better but it makes it easier to be more consistent.

Swing speed, distance, height are only some of the factors that go into the process of determining flex which has no industry standard, length and lie.

@Golfspy_CG2 is 6’7” and was fit into titleist standard length and the fitter considered even going 1/4” short. He’s been fit into stiff flex shaft in some driver shafts despite having sub 90mph swing speed.

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

I think the key to a good fit is finding a reputable fitter in your area. A big bonus of the process is the confidence it provides that if you stand over the ball you’ve got a great chance to put a good swing on it. As mentioned in the episode, virtual fittings aren’t there yet. Someday their might be software to make it even more effective, but getting fit is still king. 

Taylormade M5 Driver

Cobra F9 3 Wood

Srixon ZX5 4-6 Iron

Srixon ZX7 7-PW

Taylormade MG2 Wedges 50/55/60

Taylormade Spider X Putter

10 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Having equipment that fits ones swing makes for less swing manipulations to get the clubs to do what one wants.

Fittings aren’t going to automatically make one better and score better but it makes it easier to be more consistent.

Swing speed, distance, height are only some of the factors that go into the process of determining flex which has no industry standard, length and lie.

@Golfspy_CG2 is 6’7” and was fit into titleist standard length and the fitter considered even going 1/4” short. He’s been fit into stiff flex shaft in some driver shafts despite having sub 90mph swing speed.

Thanks everyone for your feedback.  Consistency is more what I'm looking for as is almost everyone.  I guess my point was how do you get a good fitting based really on only an hour of hitting balls?

6 minutes ago, Freddie said:

Thanks everyone for your feedback.  Consistency is more what I'm looking for as is almost everyone.  I guess my point was how do you get a good fitting based really on only an hour of hitting balls?

The fitter should use your current irons to get a baseline and while doing that watching your swing to see how you deliver the club. Based on his observations the lm numbers and what you are looking for from the fitting he/she would then have an idea on head type and shaft that would work for you. Using that setup you would hit a few balls so they can observe your swing and the number, get your feedback on feel, etc and make adjustments as needed. Rinse and repeat til they have you dialed into something you like and works for you. An hour is plenty of time to accomplish that

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

20 hours ago, Freddie said:

Just finished watching a great discussion on MGS about Truegolffit and custom fitting.  I am looking to replace my irons and hybrids.  I have been fitted before at various places; none of which did a super job.  My last fitting was about 7 years ago and I was closer to a 25 - 30 handicap at the time.  Now I'm down to around an 18 handicap at worse.  From all my purchases so far I'm very standard in terms of length and lie.  I think my lie should have been adjusted on my irons by 2 degrees but they suggested to try them and we could adjust later.  Never needed to.  I'm 6' tall, 61 yrs old and my driver swing speed is 89 mph.  I hit my 7 iron 145 to 150 yds.  I do like the golf pride mcc plus 4 grips and have used them the past 5 years.  I'm standard flex.  So I do know what I need and think that I could buy off the rack if I had too.

I was thinking of going the club fitting route but after watching the MGS discussion I'm very leary on this.  First of all, I've not been able to find a good club fitter in my city.  I think that is out.  Second, based on past fittings I would think that if I went to 3 fittings I'd end up with 3 different iron sets which to me would indicate that there are a few options out there that would work and that I don't think that the fitters are able to look at all the options out there in a one hour fitting.   Also, I've never been able to swing a club with my size grip on it....always been the standard grip which usually is smaller than what I use.

After all of this I'm wondering is the fitting process really worth it for me or should I just try out a few irons in a bay (when we can again) and select the one that I like after that based on comparison for distance, dispersion and feel?

Thanks,

If you're referring to the MGS discussion I think you are, they did conclude it was better to get fit than not at all, it's just that it's prudent to do the homework of finding a brand agnostic fitter rather than someone trying to push 1-3 different OEMs.  Also, do the homework of verifying the fitters credentials.  If you're going to Dick's, I'd say forget it.  Can you get a good fit at GG or PGASS, yes, absolutely possible, but if you don't check around you're as liable to get the guy who has been doing fittings for 5 weeks vs the guy who has been doing them for 5 years.  It's your money, and a big purchase, so do the research to INVEST wisely in a proper fitting from a good reputable fitter, and you won't regret it.

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 6 S, 65g Stiff

FW: :titleist-small: TSR2 3w, 15,  :Fuji:Ventus Blue 7 S, 70g Stiff

Hybrids:  :callaway-small: Apex Pro 3H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

:taylormade-small: Stealth DHY 4H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS 5-6, SMS Pro 7-PW, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Wedges: :vokey-small:SM9 48 F Grind, 52 F Grind, 56 M Grind, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Putter: :odyssey-small: Sri-Hot 5K Triple Wide, Stroke Lab shaft

Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1

Click here for my HONMA TR20 Official Review!  :honma:

Click here for my Arccos Caddie Bundle Official Review!   :Arccos:

Click here for my Edel SMS & SMS Pro Irons Official Review:edel-golf-1:

58 minutes ago, Freddie said:

Communication. Tell the fitter your tendencies, tell him what you feel, tell him what you like or don't like. A good fitter will put all that together and make a recommendation to you. 

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

I would definitely suggest getting fit but would echo finding the best fitter you can find locally. Ask some folks you know who have been fitted about their experience, go comb through google reviews. The store I went to had great reviews in general and for fitting but scrolling through I kept seeing one guy's name pop up over and over again so I made sure to book with him and had a fantastic experience. 

Driver: default_titelist-small.jpg.af6c79e031d0a7016fffa91ce0212512.jpg TSi2 9.0* w/ Tensei blue stiff shaft // 3 Wood: default_titelist-small.jpg.af6c79e031d0a7016fffa91ce0212512.jpg TSi3 15* Tensei white stiff shaft

Hybrid: default_taylormade-small.jpg.e85cafcb95032f919dfafeb5fd18ac1e.jpg GAPR Hi 3h

Irons: default_titelist-small.jpg.af6c79e031d0a7016fffa91ce0212512.jpg T300 4-PW + 48* & 53*w/ KBS tour stiff

Wedge: default_cleveland-small.jpg.5931429dde47ec5093bb94bc9d38f8b5.jpg CBX2 58*10

Putter: KS1

Ball: Srixon Z-star // Bag: default_ping-small.jpg.2da16be6ff3360b3177f4439c6c6288b.jpg DLX

Here are a couple of articles to read; I think they provide some great ideas on preparation and expectations.

https://pluggedingolf.com/there-is-no-perfect-fit/

https://pluggedingolf.com/your-club-fitting-was-not-a-bad-day/

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

30 minutes ago, cnosil said:

Here are a couple of articles to read; I think they provide some great ideas on preparation and expectations.

https://pluggedingolf.com/there-is-no-perfect-fit/

https://pluggedingolf.com/your-club-fitting-was-not-a-bad-day/

The first link is good. I hadn’t read the second link before I’ll check that one out.

The first link is good. I hadn’t read the second link before I’ll check that one out.

Matt provides some good perspectives especially for people that don’t think they are good/consistent enough to be fit.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

51 minutes ago, cnosil said:

Matt provides some good perspectives especially for people that don’t think they are good/consistent enough to be fit.

Finally got to read the second link. Another good piece on fitting. The two articles combined do a good job on setting expectations and how to go about thinks. Gets into the complaints seen on forums about fittings