Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

New Year, New Irons (and a major brand change that shocks me)

Bubbly Pop

I totally get this move, its all what works for you and your game. I think its a nice honest assessment that the iron game could be better and getting something to help that part will be helpful. Plenty of good players play irons that some might not consider to match the handicap, but it works for them. 

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 9° :Fuji: Ventus Blue 6X  (2021 Official Review) | :callaway-small:Epic Speed 18° Evenflow Riptide 70g 6.0
:titelist-small: 816 H1 21° Mitsubishi Motors Mitsubishi Chemical Holdings Chemical industry Mitsubishi  Rayon Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation, mitsubishi, blue, company png |  PNGEgg Diamana S+ Blue 70 S | 
image.png.08bbf5bb553da418019f0db13c6f4f9a.png SMS 4-5/SMS Pro 6-PW  image.png.267751aa721ee9cf3944fa2ff070b98c.png  Steelfiber i95 S (2023 Official Review)
:ping-small: Glide 4.0 50°.12°S/54°.14°W/58°.6°T PING Z-Z115 Wedge Flex | :cleveland-small:  SOFT 11S Super Stroke Mid-Slim 2.0
:ping-small: Hoofer Bag | :titelist-small: Pro V1 | Right Handed | Tracked by :ShotScope: V3

If you weren't striking the ball perfectly it's actually normal for GI irons to feel and sound better or more solid. Mizuno MP20s are great...if you strike them well. My biggest question for all players/GI distance irons is the spin rates. Shafts can help this out a lot but I don't care how far I can hit the ball if I can't hold a green inside 180ish yards. The other issues with these strong lofted distance irons is that many people hit these 7 irons 200+ yards because of strong lofts and typically big loft gaps in the lower irons. The ZX4s also have huge gaps (5 - 6*) in the shorter irons which I think could make playing accurate shots inside 160 yards very dicey. The problem isn't filling in the bottom end of the set below the PW but the fact there is a 5 degree gaps between the PW, 9, and 8 irons. There is a 6* gap between the AW and PW (if you prefer having a matching gap wedge). This will make distance control very difficult between 100 - 160 yards depending on your swing speed. The ultimate answer is to do some bending to narrow these gaps to make them more playable. The lofts are also weird on the long end of the ZX4s with the 25.5* 6 iron, 23* 5 iron, and 21* 4 iron. I'd be curious to see how the long irons perform because this may be a weird situation where you buy the 4 iron then 6 - PW/AW and skip the 5 iron. 

I'm not questioning that the ZX4s are good iron heads. I just think to get properly fit you almost would need to hit every iron in the set to get gapping correct because these lofts are all sorts of weird and seemingly designed to jack up launch monitor numbers. 

Kansas King, thanks for the tips and from what I've read your spot on about potential gapping issues with many of the distance (long) irons vs. short irons in the same set.  I'm willing to work through that if these follow that vein, as you don't know of the horror of my longer iron game.  Holding a green from 160-180 currently isn't much of a problem, since I rarely hit greens from that distance and don't even get a chance to hold them.   If I can attain a higher trajectory and decent angle from 160-180, without feeling like I need to overswing, my life will be complete.  My iron set make-up starts with a 5i, but that is almost exclusively reserved for punch out shots at this time.  I now carry my Mizuno 7 iron 150-155 yards and the Srixon 7 iron (basically the loft of my Mizuno 6 iron) was launching higher and carrying 165-170 yards with a tight dispersion (using the Nippon Pro MODUS 105 Stiff).  The proof will evidence itself with a full bag during an on course performance, I'm chomping at the bit to find out.  Stay tuned.             

:ping-small: G425 Driver - 10.5 degree

Callaway EPIC MAX 3W

Callaway Heavenwood 7W 

:ping-small: G425 4 Hybrid - 22 degree

Takomo 201's - Nippon MODUS 105 shafts

:scotty-cameron-1: Phantom X 8 Putter - Original "Two Thumb" grip 

Edel Trapper Wedge Lob Wedge 60 Degree Used Golf Club at GlobalGolf.com 54 and 58 degree V-Grind SMS wedges

15 hours ago, Bubbly Pop said:

Kansas King, thanks for the tips and from what I've read your spot on about potential gapping issues with many of the distance (long) irons vs. short irons in the same set.  I'm willing to work through that if these follow that vein, as you don't know of the horror of my longer iron game.  Holding a green from 160-180 currently isn't much of a problem, since I rarely hit greens from that distance and don't even get a chance to hold them.   If I can attain a higher trajectory and decent angle from 160-180, without feeling like I need to overswing, my life will be complete.  My iron set make-up starts with a 5i, but that is almost exclusively reserved for punch out shots at this time.  I now carry my Mizuno 7 iron 150-155 yards and the Srixon 7 iron (basically the loft of my Mizuno 6 iron) was launching higher and carrying 165-170 yards with a tight dispersion (using the Nippon Pro MODUS 105 Stiff).  The proof will evidence itself with a full bag during an on course performance, I'm chomping at the bit to find out.  Stay tuned.             

Makes sense loft for loft. The higher launch is due to lower CG. That is how they can get away with lower loft. Glad you found something you like. The beauty should be when you get these on grass with the V sole, or so I hear. I wouldn’t worry too much about the loft gaps yet although I don’t know if Srixon is doing what other OEMs do and remove the magic from the higher lofted clubs to give them more consistency. Worse case, you keep your long irons in zx4 and then move to zx7 in your scoring irons, especially if you hate the feel of the zx5. Best of all, you put your ego aside, something I need to do, and got the clubs that work best for your game. I just had a buddy who is a 5 or so cap just get clubs. I was really surprised he went HM pro and was even considering mavrik pros, and not something like the tours, or apex or zx7s.  It is all about what you want out of your game and what gives you the results you want.  

Follow my journey to enjoying golf and going low

Driver: :callaway-small:   Epic Max LS :Fuji:Ventus Black 6x 44.5" 

3wHL: :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS 75x  Tensei AV Blue w/ xlink

7w: :callaway-small:Apex UW 21* MMT 80S

DI: Caley 01X 18* with KBS PGH Stiff plus 95g

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long, Soft stepped, MOI matched

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore 

Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 69*/35" in blue 

Ball:  TBD

Shot Tracking: :ShotScope:

Bag: Vessel VLX 2.0

Grip: Lamkin Sonar +  Midsize 

My Reviews:

Caley 01X Driving Iron Review 2023

Max Swing Speed Training and Speed Progress: Current Speed 120 in the MGS Speed Challenge (updated 3/15/23)

:1332069271_TommyArmour:TAIII #2  Review here: TAIII Impact #2 Putter )

:cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)

th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  2019 Unofficial Review

• 2 weeks later...

First there is nothing wrong with a single digit player gaming GI irons - I would suspect there’s more that should consider it rather than the other way around but in the end it’s about ball flight, gapping and consistency. What irons, iron/utility, iron/hybrid, iron/fairway combo gives you the right gapping, consistency combo.

Also, you’re honesty about not hitting many greens from 160-180 is refreshing. I’m also a single digit player and I know based on shot tracking that anything over a 7 iron - 155 for me is a 50/50 proposition at best.

Far more important from holding a green from 170 is getting consistent pin high distance with the same ball flight so that you can manage your dispersion pattern, picking a reasonable target where misses leave good up and down opportunities.

Looking forward to reading about how these work out for you once they’re in your bag.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Really good post Pop.  As others have said, kudos to you for going with what works.  

When I ordered my ZX5 the 4’s werent available yet.  As i wanted to order the 5/6 in 4 and go 7-G in the 5. 

But my rep told me, we can order the ZX4 to match after the fact.  So i may do that.  

What were your thiughts on the Apex DCB. 

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

I've always been one to continually search for clubs I'm in love with by moving on from those I'm only in like with (i.e. club Ho), such each year potentially bringing a few club changes.  This year I've gone a little bit crazy (call it the COVID effect if you must) and I've added a new driver (Ping G425 from the G410), a new putter (Cameron Phantom 8 from the Cameron Phantom 6.5), and most recently I was fitted for new irons.  I'm going to make a big brand change in that department (To Srixon from Mizuno).  If anyone desires some feedback on my driver/putter choices feel free to inquire, but this note focuses specifically on the iron situation. 
One might ask why a 9 handicap is playing game improvement to super game improvement irons and I admit, my iron game (5-8) has always been sketchy at best.  I understand it's the archer not the arrows, but that doesn't keep me from searching for better arrows to help me be a better archer.  I've been in a long term love affair with Mizuno irons for the past 15 years, my longest relationship with a brand by far.  However, I believe I may have found new irons to love, Srixon ZX4's, let me elaborate. 
I went in my local retailer to see what recent iron offerings might intrigue me, of course trying all the new Mizuno sticks in my skill range, JPX 921 Hot Metal, Hot Metal Pro, JPX 921 Forged, and they performed admirably.  I also hit Titleist (T200 and T300), Callaway (APEX DCB), Taylormade (790's and 770's), Ping (G425), Srixon (ZX5's and ZX4's), each with various shafts to test dispersion, trajectory, spin rates, etc. etc.  Wow was I shocked as to what transpired, as was the fitter assisting me.   
We found that the Srixon ZX4's flew higher, longer (or as long as), and with tighter dispersion than any of the other iron's I tried. They hadn't been on my radar even though I had read a brief article about them.  Those numerical results were enough to get me interested, but I'm not leaving a loved brand for a fling simply based on statistical improvements alone (I do have a little self-respect left).  What I found really shocking about the ZX4's, the sound and the feel.  Each strike sounded so solid and pleasant, but even that isn't what ultimately sold me, it was the feel.   The feel is soft and buttery, which like never happens with a game improvement iron, even those that are forged.  My Mizuno's, which in my experience are as close as you'll get to anything resembling soft in a game improvement iron, couldn't compare.   All I can tell you, if your testing irons hit them for yourself, simply WOW.  They are coming out in early March and I'll be standing in line to order them if necessary. 
Worthy to note, the sound and feel of the Srixon ZX5's wasn't in the league of the ZX4's, I have no idea why that was the case. 
Good Luck and Good Club Hunting                 

Did I read correctly that you upgraded to the 425 driver from the 410? If so can you provide details on the differences you've seen on the course.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

CG2 - The Apex DCB irons were a bust, as they didn't feel or perform for me at all.  I'm not really sure why that was the case, but I quickly leaned them against the wall and backed away slowly. 

TONY - The Ping G410 driver was helpful in adding some distance for me in comparison to the G400, which I had previously.  However there was some drop off in forgiveness when I transitioned to the G410 and it took me several months to make adjustment's to minimize that reduction.  However, it still was a great driver.  Moving to the G425 has been like WOW, because it goes so very straight without any need for major effort or manipulation.  The added bonus is my ball (ProV1) jumps of the face more so with the G425 and I'm about 10 yards longer on average than the G410.  It's like experiencing the forgiveness of the G400 but with distance of the G410 plus 10 yds.  Hope that helps.      

:ping-small: G425 Driver - 10.5 degree

Callaway EPIC MAX 3W

Callaway Heavenwood 7W 

:ping-small: G425 4 Hybrid - 22 degree

Takomo 201's - Nippon MODUS 105 shafts

:scotty-cameron-1: Phantom X 8 Putter - Original "Two Thumb" grip 

Edel Trapper Wedge Lob Wedge 60 Degree Used Golf Club at GlobalGolf.com 54 and 58 degree V-Grind SMS wedges

• 1 year later...
On 2/18/2021 at 2:48 AM, Bubbly Pop said:

I've always been one to continually search for clubs I'm in love with by moving on from those I'm only in like with (i.e. club Ho), such each year potentially bringing a few club changes.  This year I've gone a little bit crazy (call it the COVID effect if you must) and I've added a new driver (Ping G425 from the G410), a new putter (Cameron Phantom 8 from the Cameron Phantom 6.5), and most recently I was fitted for new irons.  I'm going to make a big brand change in that department (To Srixon from Mizuno).  If anyone desires some feedback on my driver/putter choices feel free to inquire, but this note focuses specifically on the iron situation. 

One might ask why a 9 handicap is playing game improvement to super game improvement irons and I admit, my iron game (5-8) has always been sketchy at best.  I understand it's the archer not the arrows, but that doesn't keep me from searching for better arrows to help me be a better archer.  I've been in a long term love affair with Mizuno irons for the past 15 years, my longest relationship with a brand by far.  However, I believe I may have found new irons to love, Srixon ZX4's, let me elaborate. 

I went in my local retailer to see what recent iron offerings might intrigue me, of course trying all the new Mizuno sticks in my skill range, JPX 921 Hot Metal, Hot Metal Pro, JPX 921 Forged, and they performed admirably.  I also hit Titleist (T200 and T300), Callaway (APEX DCB), Taylormade (790's and 770's), Ping (G425), Srixon (ZX5's and ZX4's), each with various shafts to test dispersion, trajectory, spin rates, etc. etc.  Wow was I shocked as to what transpired, as was the fitter assisting me.   

We found that the Srixon ZX4's flew higher, longer (or as long as), and with tighter dispersion than any of the other iron's I tried. They hadn't been on my radar even though I had read a brief article about them.  Those numerical results were enough to get me interested, but I'm not leaving a loved brand for a fling simply based on statistical improvements alone (I do have a little self-respect left).  What I found really shocking about the ZX4's, the sound and the feel.  Each strike sounded so solid and pleasant, but even that isn't what ultimately sold me, it was the feel.   The feel is soft and buttery, which like never happens with a game improvement iron, even those that are forged.  My Mizuno's, which in my experience are as close as you'll get to anything resembling soft in a game improvement iron, couldn't compare.   All I can tell you, if your testing irons hit them for yourself, simply WOW.  They are coming out in early March and I'll be standing in line to order them if necessary. 

Worthy to note, the sound and feel of the Srixon ZX5's wasn't in the league of the ZX4's, I have no idea why that was the case. 

Good Luck and Good Club Hunting                 

Did you got those Zx4's and how did they work out?

:ping-small:G430 Max 10k 9°

:cleveland-small:3+ Hy-wood 17°

:cleveland-small:4+ Hy-wood 20°

:ping-small:4 Hybrid 22°

:srixon-small:Zx5 mkII 5i-P

:cleveland-small:CBX 48°, CBX FF 53° & 58°

:cleveland-small:Frontline Elevado 

:srixon-small:Z-Star