TESTERS WANTED! ×

Tee Height Test Discussion Thread

Tarheelvolvo

24 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

For those of you who tee it high, do you ground the driver as part of your set-up routine?  Keep in mind the lab test was conducted with robots and they have no pre-shot routine... unless Tony programmed one in 🤔.  I've been experimenting with not grounding my driver and thus far it just feels odd and the results inconsistent.

If you are talking about this lab test, it was not done with robots.  Trust me,  I am not a robot  🤣

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

29 minutes ago, cnosil said:

If you are talking about this lab test, it was not done with robots.  Trust me,  I am not a robot  🤣

Oh fudge.  I saw the video in the title page and presumed it was with robot testing.  Thanks for clarifying.  

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

If you are talking about this lab test, it was not done with robots.  Trust me,  I am not a robot  

But how do WE know you’re not a robot? Has anyone ever actually met you? Would you know that you are a robot? Or would that go against your programming?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

The evidence comes in right at the end of the loop video clip.  The swing looked so good I just assumed it wasn't you 🤣.

image.png.23a58cc8c3c33335644245a8c8bbe863.png

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

No doubt that teeing the ball higher and hitting with an upward angle of attack is the answer for more distance. For me, as has been mentioned in the thread, it’s important to get the tee height consistent, and to know what height allows you the upward angle of attack while being able to make center-face contact.  

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

The tee height test was interesting? Do you know what the average tee height is on the PGA Tour? The Riviera Country Club seems to be getting the best of some of the best. Hopefully you submit your findings to the USGA,R&A & PGA. I have a question. There are standards that clubs & ball must meet to be approved. If these standards remain the same then how is more distance achieved? Physicality has something to do with it as Bryson have proven. Other than that if the clubs & balls all meet the requirements what do the Golfing Governing Bodies contribute to the gain in distance?

The tee height test data is quite accurate for my slow swing.  I get the most distance with the ball teed up high, but as the test data shows, I pay a price in accuracy.  My AoA is 4-5º.  If I tee the ball low, which I do for certain shots, I generally miss low on the face with a big loss of distance, unless I make more of an "iron swing".

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

The win for fairways hit with the taller tee seems to go against common perception/instruction. Lower tee height should lower launch, decrease distance, and increase spin but all three of those should contribute to more accuracy/fairways hit. 

Ogio Woode 8 Hybrid Stand Bag
PXG 0811 X Gen4 @ 6* - Fujikura Motore X F3 7X
PXG 0211 @ 13.5* - Fujikura Motore X F1 8X
PXG 0311 XP Gen3 3i-PW - PX LZ 6.5
PXG 0311 Forged 54/60 - PX LZ 6.5
Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2

10 hours ago, cnosil said:

Couple of comments: I’d suggest reading up on strokes gained. The 10 to 20 yards you discuss does provide an advantage and it isn’t about hitting fairways. Also
The faster you swing they farther the ball goes and the farther it goes offline. A 1* open clubface will be farther offline at 300 yards than it is at 200 yards; that is how angles work.

While the strategy may not work every hole the percentages play out over time.

I agree with all you are saying. And the angle theory is basic physics. And I have read up on the SG:OTT stats, Bryson 1.4, Rory 1.2..everyone else less than 1 per round... It hasn't done those 2 much good as of late. Not denigrating the players, just talking pure stats here...I play Bryson's driver and I like Rory. (Just to put that in perspective)

However, just the one question, would you rather be on the short stuff 120 yards out or in the rough (with the possibility of obstacles) 90 yards out?  

I'm quoting the PGA stats page now "The largest difference between the rough and the fairway occurs between 120 and 190 yards where scoring from the rough is on average about 0.25 strokes higher than those from the fairway."

The results will tell you that People are winning tournaments playing exactly that, the percentages, case in point Berger last week, Cantlay, Reed, Kim, Na, English, Hovland, Streb, Ortiz, Gay, Kokrak, Laird, Garcia and Swafford, none of them exceptionally long hitters...... that's since Bryson won the US Open...... Sorry forgot that Koepka won as well, but he's dropped some length since his return from injury.

So, I don't really want to get into some argument, but do you really think whether the USGA or PGA should be doing anything to limit distance? My opinion was that they shouldn't, and I repeat it's just MY opinion.....doesn't mean that I am right or wrong.

Cheers, happy golfing. 🙂

Edited by RonW
Just adding a quote

default_taylormade-small.jpgSIM2 Max-D Driver @ 10.5°

:cobra-small: 3-wood F-Max @ 16°

:cobra-small: 5-wood F9 @ 19°

:cobra-small:6-hybrid T-Rail @ 23°

:cobra-small: F-Max Airspeed 7 - PW Irons 

:cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Wedges 48°, 52° & 58°
:odyssey-small: White Hot OG #1 Putter

10 hours ago, fixyurdivot said:

For those of you who tee it high, do you ground the driver as part of your set-up routine?  Keep in mind the lab test was conducted with robots and they have no pre-shot routine... unless Tony programmed one in 🤔.  I've been experimenting with not grounding my driver and thus far it just feels odd and the results inconsistent.

I ground. I tried the hover and it just felt weird.

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSR2 Project X HZRDUS Black 5.5
Fairway: :callaway-small: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

I use the Martini tees with the stopper for my driver. Love em and no doubt it has improved my consistency. 

15GGIUMRTNTSTPPMXACC?wid=1400&fmt=pjpeg

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

10 hours ago, B.Boston said:

But how do WE know you’re not a robot? Has anyone ever actually met you? Would you know that you are a robot? Or would that go against your programming? emoji848.pngemoji848.pngemoji848.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I guess I could be a robot and not know that I am a robot.   If you have seen my swing results,  you would think I was a poorly programmed golf robot.  

10 hours ago, fixyurdivot said:

The evidence comes in right at the end of the loop video clip.  The swing looked so good I just assumed it wasn't you 🤣.

image.png.23a58cc8c3c33335644245a8c8bbe863.png

Not my foot,  that is Phillips.   I was just to the left of the frame hitting putts for  mallet testing.  

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

8 hours ago, RonW said:

I agree with all you are saying. And the angle theory is basic physics. And I have read up on the SG:OTT stats, Bryson 1.4, Rory 1.2..everyone else less than 1 per round... It hasn't done those 2 much good as of late. Not denigrating the players, just talking pure stats here...I play Bryson's driver and I like Rory. (Just to put that in perspective)

However, just the one question, would you rather be on the short stuff 120 yards out or in the rough (with the possibility of obstacles) 90 yards out?  

I'm quoting the PGA stats page now "The largest difference between the rough and the fairway occurs between 120 and 190 yards where scoring from the rough is on average about 0.25 strokes higher than those from the fairway."

The results will tell you that People are winning tournaments playing exactly that, the percentages, case in point Berger last week, Cantlay, Reed, Kim, Na, English, Hovland, Streb, Ortiz, Gay, Kokrak, Laird, Garcia and Swafford, none of them exceptionally long hitters...... that's since Bryson won the US Open...... Sorry forgot that Koepka won as well, but he's dropped some length since his return from injury.

So, I don't really want to get into some argument, but do you really think whether the USGA or PGA should be doing anything to limit distance? My opinion was that they shouldn't, and I repeat it's just MY opinion.....doesn't mean that I am right or wrong.

Cheers, happy golfing. 🙂

No,  Rory and Bryson haven't been playing well as of late,  but over a period of time, their overall performance should be better.  

The obstacles would just be the bad luck of where your shot ended up.  I don't have the numbers for each distance,  but I would guess that strokes gained from 90 in the rough would be better than 120 in the fairway.  

I don't consider this an argument,  just a discussion on perspectives.    I don't think they should be doing anything to control distance;  I don't think there is a problem.  

18 hours ago, Ell said:

Forget all this talk about tee heights. If the USGA and the R&A want to limit the distance a ball goes, reduce the overall weight from 1.62 ounces to 1.3 ounces. For a better explanation of this get the book "Search for the Perfect Swing" by Alastair Cochran and John Stobbs. There's a complete discussion of this in Chapter 26 entitled "What Flight of What Ball", specifically the paragraphs on pages 170 and 171.

The book was last published in 1996. So the discussion of the ball going to far is 25 years old.

Driver: Tommy Armour Atomic, 10.5, Senior Shaft

3 Wood: Cleveland FL, senior graphite shaft.

Adams Idea A12 OS, 3,4,5,6 hybrids, 7 - sand wedge. Senior flex graphite shafts

Ping Answer putter.

On 2/19/2021 at 11:39 AM, GolfSpy_THV said:

Let's discuss the MGS latest test about Tee Heights!

Article here: https://mygolfspy.com/tee-height-test/

What are your thoughts? Does a Tee Height make a difference in your distance or dispersion on the course?

It does for me.  If I tee it high, like theyve been telling us to do for the past 20 years, I tend to hit a popup from time to time because if I am off a bit or dont keep my head behind the ball, I will hit down on it.

If I just tee it a bit lower, where the ball is in the middle of the clubface, even if Im off a bit, its still an acceptable drive.  If I lose a little distance, Im OK with it because 10% less distance on every tee shot is better than a 50% loss on occasion and a ding in the crown of my driver.

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

USGA issues/perspective aside, this was a really interesting read. I end to have a high launch angle—consistent across years of fittings—and consequently have generally teed the ball low. Going to be doing some range testing as soon as the snow clears up here in the Notheast! 

Ping G425 irons blue dot Power Spec

Ping G400 Max Driver, Elements Chrome S Shaft

Ping G30 3 Wood

Guerin Rife TwoBar Hybrid Tour Mallet

Ping Glide 3.0 wedges

Snell MTB-X

I’m probably not consistent.  Normally grab tee between index and middle fingers and rest ball on the tee , then put it in the ground so tee is secure. Not deep. 

Bill (1, 3, 7,  24hy; 6-9, 54, 58)

Good info! I can’t say my technical focus has been on tee height, more on direction than distance personally. However, I will pay attention now. 

As far as “the distance debate”, I am still most intrigued by focusing on some course adjustments. I believe MGS said it on the podcast initially after the report came out, but fairways today on tour run about as fast as greens did 20+ years ago. For the most part, I don’t think carry distance gets too bananas, it’s when you add the roll out on top. What happens if they cut the fairways 1/8”, 1/4”, or 1/2” longer?

• Driver: Titleist TSr4 8º, Graphite Design Tour AD 6x
  • 3W: Titleist TSi2 13.5º, Project X 8x
  • 2i: Taylormade P790, HZRDOUS 6.0
  • 4i-6i: Mizuno Pro 225, KBS Tour C-Taper 130x
  • 7i-PW: Mizuno Pro 221, KBS Tour C-Taper 130x
  • 50º; 54º; 60º: Mizuno T22
  • Putter: Evnroll Ev 5.1

It seems completely logical that a higher tee will generally produce strikes closer to the sweet spot of modern drivers, hence longer drives.  I'm wondering a little bit about subconscious adjustments that golfers might make based on the tee height.  It seems to me that the lower tee height would encourage the player to make a swing with a "flatter" angle of attack, while a higher tee would allow for a more upward AoA.  While I understand that AoA is primarily a function of an individual swing and ball position, I'd anticipate that a player might still make some subconscious adjustments.  And as science has proven, that upward AoA is likely to produce longer shots if all other factors are the same.  

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

I can’t hit a fairway regardless of how high the tee is; but teeing it high produces longer, straighter drives for me. It also helped me go from an avg AOA of -1.8 to +3.0: this change cannot be attributed to tee height only but it does play a significant role in getting me to swing “up” on the ball.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Driver - Cobra LtDxLS

3 Wood - Ping g410 LST

2iron - Titleist U505

Irons - Ping i59

Wedges - Vokey Sm9

Putter - Mizuno Mcraft IV

All of this has me wondering what the average tee height off the ground is.

Csnoil what did the 1 1/2 tee height look like to you?  To me that sounds so low - I use 3 1/2 tees and tee them at the first line - I always thought that would be around 3"'s above the turf.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

12 minutes ago, revkev said:

All of this has me wondering what the average tee height off the ground is.

Csnoil what did the 1 1/2 tee height look like to you?  To me that sounds so low - I use 3 1/2 tees and tee them at the first line - I always thought that would be around 3"'s above the turf.

the 1 1/2 had about half the ball over the crown of the club.  It was still a little to high for my liking.   The 1/2 was a bit too low.  Based on those measurements I probably play mine a little over an inch.  

the 1 1/2 had about half the ball over the crown of the club.  It was still a little to high for my liking.   The 1/2 was a bit too low.  Based on those measurements I probably play mine a little over an inch.  

Do you use 2 3/4 normally? I’m thinking we probably don’t tee the ball up as high as we think we do and also that it’s possible to tee it up too high.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

8 minutes ago, revkev said:

Do you use 2 3/4 normally? I’m thinking we probably don’t tee the ball up as high as we think we do and also that it’s possible to tee it up too high.

Yes,  I use 2 3/4" tees.   I use my thumb to measure the balls height;  I went out to see and I tee the ball up 1 1/4.  

I'm going to try and check my normal height today - if I ever get out of this hospital - it's Penny's IV treatment day and they were an hour late starting her treatment - should still leave me plenty of time though. 🙂

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

Like some others, when I tee up my driver I use the face height to determine ball position/tee height. No more than half the ball over the face. When I've tried to tee higher to promote a more positive AoA, I've wrecked the top of more than a few drivers 🙄

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game