Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Our Sponsors

Is Titleist going to drop the AVX? My local Dick's does not have any and their web site only offers the 2020 version at  a discount. I chatted online with a guy on the Titleist web site and he said " The AVX is one of our premium balls and we have plenty if you want to order a dozen". He did not say whether or not they were keeping the ball in their line-up. Maybe it's just my local Dick's decided not carry them, but I'm curious as to if anyone has heard anything about the ball.

  • Like 1

Drive for Show; Putt for Dough

Link to post
Share on other sites

No they aren't.  They are getting ready to send out the new prototypes very soon.  I just entered a contest earlier to be sent the prototype ball for testing.  I would look for it to hit stores in the spring/summer.  

  • Like 2

WITB:  Do I like Titleist or what? 

 

Driver:     TSi2 9* Project X HZRDUS RDX Smoke C3 setting

Fairways   HZRDUS Smoke 13.5* & 19* C3 setting

Driving Iron:   U500 17* Fujikura Blue Ventus HB Velocore 

Irons   T300 4 & 5 iron, T200 6 - W Project X 6.0 1* up

Wedges   SM7 48*, 52*, 56*

Putter    Newport 2

Ball   2020 ProV1

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, golfinnut said:

No they aren't.  They are getting ready to send out the new prototypes very soon.  I just entered a contest earlier to be sent the prototype ball for testing.  I would look for it to hit stores in the spring/summer.  

So it sounds like there might be a lag in delivery. I guess I can get the previous model from a source other than Dick's until the 2021 version hits the stores. Thanks for the info. 

  • Like 1

Drive for Show; Putt for Dough

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Hoganman1 said:

So it sounds like there might be a lag in delivery. I guess I can get the previous model from a source other than Dick's until the 2021 version hits the stores. Thanks for the info. 

The new release won’t hit retail until at least late jan 2022. Titleist balls like their clubs are on 2 year cycles and they tend to release them at the beginning of the year.

the current ball was released in January 2020.

  • Like 1

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

The new release won’t hit retail until at least late jan 2022. Titleist balls like their clubs are on 2 year cycles and they tend to release them at the beginning of the year.

the current ball was released in January 2020.

Thanks for responding. If I run out of AVXs and cannot find any more, I can always go back to the ProV1. 

Drive for Show; Putt for Dough

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Hoganman1 said:

Thanks for responding. If I run out of AVXs and cannot find any more, I can always go back to the ProV1. 

I doubt you will be unable to find avx throughout the year. Titleist isn’t going to stop production on them this far out from the next release. Also wouldnt be surprised if they are part of the buy 4 for 3 offering next month

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Link to post
Share on other sites

Well I just did a ball fitting and it turns out the ProV1 is actually the best ball for me. I'll probably keep playing the AVX until I run out this Winter, but my next purchase will be ProV1s. 

  • Like 1

Drive for Show; Putt for Dough

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Hoganman1 said:

Well I just did a ball fitting and it turns out the ProV1 is actually the best ball for me. I'll probably keep playing the AVX until I run out this Winter, but my next purchase will be ProV1s. 

Surprise, surprise that the fitting said the Pro V1 is the, "best" ball for you.  Unless you have preferences for a price that pushed you out of the Pro V1, Titleist will always try to get you into a Pro V1.

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Irons: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 21* and Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 Blue Ion 54*

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, BadgerGolfer said:

Surprise, surprise that the fitting said the Pro V1 is the, "best" ball for you.  Unless you have preferences for a price that pushed you out of the Pro V1, Titleist will always try to get you into a Pro V1.

Thats not true. Titleist will push you into the right ball. One person was recommended posted today with a recommendation for the tour soft. Several have been put in the avx and some even in the left dash.

But with all that said the Prov1 is proven to be the most consistent ball. It’s been shown in mgs testing as well as today golfers study so it’s more than likely the ball the will fit a large number of golfers 

 

  • Like 1

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Link to post
Share on other sites

I've played around with a lot of the online ball fittings just to see what their algorithms were. It's really difficult on Titleist to NOT get recommended the ProV1. Same with Callaway and the Chrome Soft, the TP5, and on Bridgestone the RXS. It's really tough to get recommended an X ball.

For example on Bridgestone to get the Tour B X I had to pick Drive +270, straight ball flight, distance is highest priority, average score under 80, and a medium ball flight.

Take Dead Aim

  • Like 3

Take Dead Aim

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, DiscipleofPenick said:

I've played around with a lot of the online ball fittings just to see what their algorithms were. It's really difficult on Titleist to NOT get recommended the ProV1. Same with Callaway and the Chrome Soft, the TP5, and on Bridgestone the RXS. It's really tough to get recommended an X ball.

For example on Bridgestone to get the Tour B X I had to pick Drive +270, straight ball flight, distance is highest priority, average score under 80, and a medium ball flight.

Take Dead Aim
 

I did the same thing a few times on different sites. It did seem like it always pushed you to their premium go to ball unless you REALLY changed your inputs. I never put much faith in those on line ball fitting apps.

:ping-small: Driver, G400 11* SR Flex

:taylormade-small: 3 Wood, SLDR  HL 17*  R Flex

:taylormade-small: 5 Wood, SLDR 19* R Flex

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, F6 22.5* R Flex

:Sub70: Irons, 699 Pro's S Flex (5 - AW)

:Sub70:  JB Wedge 56*

:cleveland-small: Wedge, CBX 60*

:odyssey-small: Putter, Marksman Fang 35"

Link to post
Share on other sites
I did the same thing a few times on different sites. It did seem like it always pushed you to their premium go to ball unless you REALLY changed your inputs. I never put much faith in those on line ball fitting apps.
Guess you just need to buy a sleeve and test them all yourself. Or there's really not that much difference in any of them so play whatever you like.

Take Dead Aim

Take Dead Aim

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, DiscipleofPenick said:

Guess you just need to buy a sleeve and test them all yourself. Or there's really not that much difference in any of them so play whatever you like.

Take Dead Aim
 

I still have a dozen AVX's I won last year that I havent tried yet.

:ping-small: Driver, G400 11* SR Flex

:taylormade-small: 3 Wood, SLDR  HL 17*  R Flex

:taylormade-small: 5 Wood, SLDR 19* R Flex

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, F6 22.5* R Flex

:Sub70: Irons, 699 Pro's S Flex (5 - AW)

:Sub70:  JB Wedge 56*

:cleveland-small: Wedge, CBX 60*

:odyssey-small: Putter, Marksman Fang 35"

Link to post
Share on other sites

i could see titleist eventually doing away with the AVX because the new dimple pattern on the Prov1 is very very similar to the AVX.

The AVX is a gret ball, very very under rated. if you threw a Callaway logo on this ball, they would have a huge hit on their hands.

I love the fell and playability of the AVX and hopefully they do NOT get rid of it but I will be testing the 2021 Prov1 against the 2020 AVX in a few weeks. should be interesting

  • Like 1

I try other brands...keep coming back to Titleist....why??

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...