TESTERS WANTED! ×

Plastic Products

HI. I know that golf courses are progressively banning plastic based products such as plastic tees but also disposable bottles etc. I would be interested to know how your golf clubs are reacting to this and of course your own personal views?

I haven’t seen that here but I would be all for it. 

14 of the following:

Ping G430 Max 10.5 degree

Callaway 2023 Big Bertha 3 wood set to 17 degrees

Cobra F9 Speedback 7/8 wood set at 23.5 degrees

Callaway Epic Max 11 wood

Ping Eye 2 BeCu 2-SW

Mizuno 923 JPX HM HL 6-GW

Hogan sand wedge 56 degree bent to 53

Maltby M Series+ 54 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 Eye2 58 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 60 degree

Evnroll ER2

Ping Sigma 2 Anser

Cheap Top Flite mallet putter from Dick's, currently holding down first place in the bag

TaylorMade Mini Spider

Bridgestone XS

I haven't seen this but the tees that both my previous club, and the one I'm at now, use biodegradable tees. I think they are actually corn resin based. I don't personally use them, as I use wood. I break all tees and go through 12-16 tees a round, but don't like how the ball comes off of plastic. Typically, when I break one with a drive, I use it on the next par 3. I also bought a box of 10,000, as my kids both play. It should last a couple of years and I got a great price. 

I would fully support banning plastic on a golf course. I use a refillable insulated bottle anyway. 

Mizuno ST190, 9 degrees, Fujikura Ventus Black 6S

Mizuno ST190, 14 degrees, Fujikura Ventus Black 7S

Mizuno ST200 , 18 degrees, Fujikura Ventus Blue 7X

Miura CB 301, 4 iron, Fujikura Ventus 9x

Miura CB 301, 5-PW Nippon Modus 120S

Miura K Grind, 52, 54 and 58, Nippon Modus 130s  hand ground by Usher Golf

Miura KM 006 LH 

I don't know if I would be too concerned about plastic on the golf course. I think banning plastic would be difficult from a business perspective as most courses can't afford to risk losing even a small portion of their membership and the sales of drinks in plastic bottles. Plus, things like plastic tees and bottles don't seem to actually be a problem on the course. I would be happy to see a recycling can or two on the course but beyond that I don't think it's really an issue.

I understand the whole green push to eliminate single use plastics and I'm not against it but for me, tees are not single use. I typically get 2 - 5 rounds out of one tee. I typically use broken or short plastic tees on par 3s and I rarely lose a tee. Getting rid of plastic bottles would be great but it's hard to enforce and unless the club is a well-off private club, and courses are unlikely to risk it. My other thing with going after plastic tees is that they are so insignificant in the world of plastics. Sure, you can argue everything matters, but eliminating 100% of plastic tees in the world wouldn't register on any scale anywhere. Plus, are plastic tees actually less green than traditional wood tees? I'm guessing the cost of transporting and milling lumber probably is as bad for the earth as producing plastic tees in a factory with a much smaller footprint. Plus, the amount of waste to make wood tees is actually tremendous. I know there is the one company that glues the two pieces together to reduce waste but even then, is the process actually greener and less wasteful?

I think the most pragmatic approach to reducing plastic waste on courses is lobbying for recycling bins and more eco friendly cups. People are still going to want their drinks on the course, so a paper cup is probably the best you can do their if the course has a fountain. You may still have straws and lids to deal with but it is an improvement. 

Right now we can't even have garbage cans on the course, let alone recycle containers.  We carry a plastic grocery bag tied to the cart for trash, but we won't have those available much longer.  We have more trash blowing in from the supermarket across the street than is generated on course.

I don't see plastic tees being a problem, even though I think they are more common now than in years' past.  Most players put their broken tees in a collection tray.  Maintenance crews do a good job maintaining a clean tee box every day, and this is a muni.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I can understand the issue with plastic tees, since they can damage machinery and such... but we got recycling bins on every hole for cans and bottles, so it's the same recyling mentality we apply at home.

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT