TESTERS WANTED! ×

To pay or not to pay - new irons

I have owned my lefty T-Zoid Mizuno irons for about 20 years and I am ready to buy a new set of irons.  I demo’d the Taylormade Sim 2 irons (steel shaft / stiff) at local Dick’s Sporting Goods but I can’t justify paying that much when I am pretty much a weekend golfer.  I have seen the Taylormade M2’s for less than half the price online and I was wondering if anyone can tell me if they would be comparable for the price to the “feel” of the Sims that I tried?  Hard to find a store that has them in stock to demo so looking for someone to tell me if the price difference is justified or will they be close enough in performance for a hacker like me.

Thanks in advance for your responses.

There is slight improvements year after year. Lots will tell you to go get fit to know for sure. I’m a weekend hack and a fitting has helped my game tremendously. At least at a fitting you can test stuff out, find something you like and maybe then find something used or older but similar in the right shafts for you. 

Follow my journey to enjoying golf and going low

Driver: :callaway-small:   Epic Max LS :Fuji:Ventus Black 6x 44.5" 

3wHL: :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS 75x  Tensei AV Blue w/ xlink

7w: :callaway-small:Apex UW 21* MMT 80S

DI: Caley 01X 18* with KBS PGH Stiff plus 95g

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long, Soft stepped, MOI matched

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore 

Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 69*/35" in blue 

Ball:  TBD

Shot Tracking: :ShotScope:

Bag: Vessel VLX 2.0

Grip: Lamkin Sonar +  Midsize 

My Reviews:

Caley 01X Driving Iron Review 2023

Max Swing Speed Training and Speed Progress: Current Speed 120 in the MGS Speed Challenge (updated 3/15/23)

:1332069271_TommyArmour:TAIII #2  Review here: TAIII Impact #2 Putter )

:cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)

th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  2019 Unofficial Review

My iron fitting made a huge difference in my game. Adjustments to lie angle. Plus trying multiple shafts and head combos to find the right fit. Need to compare the lofts of both in addition to the new technology packed in the newer irons. If your spending the money might as well get the benefit. Assuming your new irons last as long as the old ones. 

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 Plus 9deg Kai' li Red

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 13deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 15deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 4-PW Nippon Modus 120s

:vokey-small: SM8 54 and 58deg Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex

:titleist-small: Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Titleist ProV1

:ping-small: Hoofer Stand Bag

Stewart Q Follow Electric Caddie

:callaway-small: 300 PRO Rangefinder

Official Nippon Regio B+ Driver Shaft Review

Official Stewart Q Follow Review

Get fit.  Even if you’re just wanting to get out for a golf stroll, you’ll enjoy it more with clubs that fit.  I was never fitted until my recent set.  All I can say for certain is that I should have done it sooner.

TSi2 Driver, Titleist TSi2 4 Wood, Ping G410 3 Hybrid, Ping G400 4 Hybrid, Maltby TS1 5-GW, Maltby Max Milled 54, Maltby Max Milled 58, Piretti Forza.

Some folks say golf messes up a nice walk.  That’s not true, golf makes a nice walk bearable.

12 hours ago, Brian_In_Michigan said:

I have owned my lefty T-Zoid Mizuno irons for about 20 years and I am ready to buy a new set of irons.  I demo’d the Taylormade Sim 2 irons (steel shaft / stiff) at local Dick’s Sporting Goods but I can’t justify paying that much when I am pretty much a weekend golfer.  I have seen the Taylormade M2’s for less than half the price online and I was wondering if anyone can tell me if they would be comparable for the price to the “feel” of the Sims that I tried?  Hard to find a store that has them in stock to demo so looking for someone to tell me if the price difference is justified or will they be close enough in performance for a hacker like me.

I'm curious why you aren't looking at Mizuno clubs if you have been playing them for 20+ years? 

I'm all for buying used clubs to save money. However, it is good to get fit for flex, lie, length, and etc to make sure the used set is in the right ballpark.

Golf is simple - people are complicated.

5w Taylormade SLDR S 19* - 220yd, Ping G2 5-U - 190-105, Maltby M+ 54* & MG 60* - 95-75, Evnroll ER8, Titleist 816 H1 4h 21*, Maltby 4 Hybrid Iron 24* - 210-200, Callaway XR16 8* - 235 carry

886809507_image1(5).jpeg.56bc697c3b02b1fb00feb8d4b66389bc~2.jpeg

Like the above posters noted, go get fit if you can. Even knowing the lie & length of your irons can make a world of difference. That'll free you up to look for a used set that may fit your budget better, or allow you to find a set that's close to what you need in length and then you can go get the lie angles adjusted after purchase. 

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

I would also say get fit if possible, even if it is to just get the length and lie angle you need so you can shop for something close and get it 'fine tuned' later.

I'm no expert, but I believe length can also be adjusted a bit after purchase, but will likely mean new grips too.  Though any adjustments to used clubs can be limited though, so no gurantees that the amount of tweaking you may need is possible.

I’d say get fit too, even if you buy the old M2 irons. You don’t have to buy anything from the fitter, but you should if possible. Lie is worth knowing, so is length but less critical. But there’s a lot more to getting the right shaft than flex, shaft weights vary considerably and should be matched to your swing. Also kick point, launch varies.

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, FJ DryJoys

Piling on here... but highly recommend a fitting, in particular since its been 20 years.  Ask to hit some prior release heads if they have them as those can be found new and used at great discounts.  Good luck and have fun!

Image result for pile of players notre dame

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

17 hours ago, Brian_In_Michigan said:

Brian in Michigan:    I'm just trying to glean your intention from your post(handicap, ultimate goal with golf, and other factors, which are not specified). My short answer is  YES. I have never had a lesson, and I have never had a club fitting, of any kind.  Purchase new clubs because you WANT THEM, and CAN justify the expense of them, whatever that means FOR YOU. If you can get a "fitting" as others are suggesting without incurring any additional costs for equipment, and or the fitting itself that you can't afford then go for it.  If it ends up in an additional cost you  don't or can't afford then I don't think its necessary.  Presently I have no doubt that if you purchase the M2's to replace your 20 year old clubs, you will experience an epiphany in terms of how they feel STOCK RIGHT OFF THE SHELF, ( as I did around 2013-14 when I replaced my 1991 no name brand with Taylormade Burner 2.0's $400( they were a two year old model when I got them). Just pay attention to the lofts, they vary greatly by brand.  Now this is predicated my assuming that when you say "hacker like me" that your scores are well into the 100 + range, if not then you are not a hacker, by my thinking.  Secondly that when you say performance you are referring to perhaps less vibration, and their being a little game improvement type to keep mishits going a little less errant, and with some more modern engineering features,  then the M2's should "perform" well.  If by performance you are referring to scoring better, and shooting lower scores then save your money.  Hitting more greens, closer to the pin, chipping the ball to 3 feet instead of 5 feet from around the green, and making more 4 and 5 foot putts  will improve your score more with your present clubs than any new club without practice is ever going to.

Driver: Cobra King Speedzone

Irons:  :callaway-small: Mavrik 4-GW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CG-14 56 & RTX 52

Putter:  :ping-small: Scottsdale Wolverine

Woods:  Gigagolf  3W, 2H, 3H

Ball:  Srixon Z-Star XV