TESTERS WANTED! ×

Fairway metals... What have you hit this year?

PMookie

I’m going to replace my TS3 fairway metal, but MGS didn’t have a 2020 top fairway review, and there just isn’t a lot out there except for TXG and their Mizuno success, even Radspeed. They haven’t done Sim 2 yet, but I saw Etches hit the snot out of it.

What have you tested/been fitted for in fairway metals? I’m only looking to use mine off the tee, but will get a 15* head, and will want adjustability.

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

The Epic did better for me than Sim I tend to not put enough spin for my fairway metals. Srixon felt also almost automatic for me as well

WITB

TS2 10.5 

M2 3HL

Mavrik Max 5W

Titleist 818 4 hybrid 

Mizuno JPX921 HMP 5-Gap

Mizuno S19 56

Maltby TSW 60

Bobby Grace Shiloh putter

2 hours ago, tchat07 said:

I am in the same boat, looking to upgrade the top end of the bag. I personally am intrigued by the Sim Ti but am also going to look into Ping because well its Ping.

Sent from my SM-G950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Ugh. Ping... I’ve hit their stuff so well over the years, drivers, hybrids, etc. With the ability to adjust the lie, I gotta give them a chance.

1 hour ago, Rchang said:

The Epic did better for me than Sim I tend to not put enough spin for my fairway metals. Srixon felt also almost automatic for me as well

I haven’t even seen the Srixon fairways. The last couple looked closed at address, to me, so they didn’t get a chance. 

Come on, I need some help!

Sim users? Demoed Sim fairway metals??? CBX/CBX119???? Epic Flash and EFSZ???

Supposedly the ping is supposed to be awesome as far as consistency. But I haven't hit it or any of this years models.

I'll send you my address for delivery of Ts3. 

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

• 2 weeks later...

My Ping G425 LST 3Wood hit the front porch today so we took a maiden voyage out to a launch monitor for some quick data before my round tomorrow. 

Setup: 14.5* set to 13.5. 90% of the time I'll use this off the tee versus an approach shot of some sort. 

Ping Tour 75 X Flex, standard length

Current gamer: Cobra F7+ with weight up front, HZRDUS Black 75 6.5 flex. Catch one high toe and it will kill the spin and fly a mile. 

Keep in mind I never hit this club before I bought it. I had a gift card that was expiring and the course it was tied to didn't have any demos available. This was ordered sight/hit unseen. For real, I've got problems. 

I tested the TSi2, Cobra RadSpeed, and TM SIM 2 Ti and all were great and had their positives but the Ping, thankfully, held it's own. I had the fastest ball speeds with the Ping with the TM right there...162mph for the Ping and 160mph for the TM. The spinsistency is noticeable, especially off the tee. TSi2 had the best feel but the Ping and Cobra were not far behind. I know...a Ping fairway wood that actually felt hot off the face. Strange times we're living in these days. Ping went a little further left than I wanted but I will change out the grip (ordered Orange dot +3 wraps yet I never play anything over Midsize +2 wraps). I've got a real thicc piece in my hands and it was resulting in some power fades. 

Honestly, between the four 3 woods I hit, you make any of them a bomber or a straight shooter depending on your preference. 

Cobra Connect 5 Competitor - Team Chad

• :cobra-small: King Radspeed 10.5* w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 60 6.5 tipped 1/2" - Peacoat/Red
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Big Tour 3 Wood w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 70 6.5 Tipped 1/2"
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Tour 5 Wood w/ Motore X F1 70 X Flex 
  • :cobra-small: King Utility 4 21* w/ Tensei Pro White 100 X Flex
  • :cobra-small: King Tour MIM Copper Irons 5-G w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :cobra-small: King MIM Black Wedges 55* & 60* w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :taylormade-small: Spider SR
  • :titelist-small: Pro V1x Left Dash
  • Lefty

• 2 weeks later...

I had been struggling with fairway metals for quite some time. Most of it was a swing flaw that I've been able to correct. However, some of my recent success is because of  the Callaway Mavrik Max 3,5 and 7 I bought a few months ago. I know the Mavriks are on their way out (like the Rogues) because they've dropped the price but I really like them. They've been very forgiving off dormant wet fairways this Winter. I have a Ping G400 driver and was searching for G400 fairways until I tried a friend's Mavrik 3 Metal. I bought both the 3 and 5 the very next day and added the 7 with my Christmas gift card. I'm very happy with their performance.

Drive for Show; Putt for Dough

I’m TaylorMade fairway woods at the moment and probably won’t switch. Have the m5 5w playing to 3w length and a sim Max 3w in one bag and a sim2 3hl in the other 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

in 2020 I picked up a Cobra F9 5 fairway wood and its amazing .. really good off tee for me 

:cobra-small: Speedzone Driver Tensei AV Blue or  :ping-small: G400 SFT 10. KBS TD 50 Category 3 shaft 

:cobra-small: King Speedzone Black Yellow Fairway 3 wood Tensei AV Blue 65 

:cobra-small: F9 SpeedBack Black Grey Fairway 5 Wood   :Fuji: ATMOS Tour Spec Blue 7 shaft

:titelist-small: T300 4i-GW - Tensei AV Blue AM2 Regular Flex  or :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Hot Metal 5 - GW Project X Lz 4.5 Regular Flex Graphite 

:ping-small:   Glide 2.0 SS Wedges 54 & 58 

:taylormade-small: TP Red White Ardmore Putter - BGT Stability Tour Black shaft 

:918457628_PrecisionPro:Precision Pro NX7 range finder 

:cobra-small: Ultralight Cart Bag 

On 2/20/2021 at 9:58 PM, PMookie said:

I’m going to replace my TS3 fairway metal, but MGS didn’t have a 2020 top fairway review, and there just isn’t a lot out there except for TXG and their Mizuno success, even Radspeed. They haven’t done Sim 2 yet, but I saw Etches hit the snot out of it.

What have you tested/been fitted for in fairway metals? I’m only looking to use mine off the tee, but will get a 15* head, and will want adjustability.

Not sure if you are still looking but I just went through a fairway wood fitting yesterday.  The fitter said his best selling head so far this short year as been the Sim2.  I tried it out but in the end there was no appreciable difference between the TM and my Cobra F9 head with a new shaft.

Good luck!

Driver: :cobra-small: RADSPEED 10.5°, Project X Even Flow RIPTIDE 60 6.5
Fairway Wood:  :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS 16.5°, Mitsubishi TENSEI AV White 75 X
3 Hybrid: :cobra-small:F9, LA Golf Tour AXS Red 85 X
4 Iron: Ping G410 Crossover
5-PW: :mizuno-small: JPX 919 Forged, KBS Tour Stiff
Wedges: :vokey-small: Jet Black 50°08F, 54°12D, 58°08M, True Temper Dynamic Gold Black S200
Putter:  :odyssey-small: StrokeLab White Hot OG #7, 35", Evnroll Tourtac grip
Putter2: :edel-golf-1: Array model?????

Currently testing the Edel Array putter

5 hours ago, Bucky CC said:

Not sure if you are still looking but I just went through a fairway wood fitting yesterday.  The fitter said his best selling head so far this short year as been the Sim2.  I tried it out but in the end there was no appreciable difference between the TM and my Cobra F9 head with a new shaft.

Good luck!

Thanks! I decided to give the Callaway Super Hybrid a try. I love a 3w off the tee, but I don’t do well with it from the fairway, so that’s where this club should help.

So I have been hitting my m4 3 wood for awhile now and when the new sim2’s came out I decided to demo them at my club.  These things are fire, gained about 15 yards using it vs my old M4. Surprised at the level of forgiveness for me as a higher handicapper. Absolutely would tell you to give them a shot. 

Wally

• 3 weeks later...

IMG_0038.thumb.jpg.134e9557a6cc3a1fe621ce9b4a7ed097.jpgI have reshafted a Callaway 4 wood and ordered a 7 wood head and shaft to put together. Hope they improve my game.

Edited by BH43
Post pictures

Tommy Armour TA -1 driver

Adams 2 hy

Adams 3 hy

Tommy Armour 4hy

Adams 5 hy

STi-2 irons 6-GW

Acer 52 & 54 wedges

Pinemeadow SS 400 putter

I too am looking at replacing my 3 wood (Titleist 917 f2) and I first looked to see if MGS had their list up yet.  I ALSO went to TXG and saw that they REALLY REALLY liked the Cobra Rad Speed.  I don't have any golf shops around me so I can't easily get my hands on a lot of different clubs to try.  I have also heard the Srixon is a beast as well.  As of now, I am interested in trying the Cobra, TSi 2 and 3, and the Srixon.  I would also consider the Ping.  I generally don't like Taylor Made stuff, just don't like the feeling and I want to stay away from Callaway since most of my bag is Callaway.  haha.  I just need to wait for some demo days (if they have them due to Covid). 

Driver:  :callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero Hzdrs Smoke x flex 70g

3 Wood:  :titelist-small: 917 w/ Diamana Whiteboard stiff

5 Wood : :callaway-small: Epic Flash 18* Hzdrs Smoke stiff

4 Hybrid: image.png.cf6ab25979c6727ff31e6cc6f719636c.png TSi3 Hzdrs Smoke X flex

Irons:  :callaway-small: 5-7  Apex forged 19 w/ Modus 120 X

9-A Apex Pro 19 w/ Modus 120 X

Wedges:  :callaway-small: MD5 52&56 Jaws Dynamic Gold wedge flex

Putter: :titelist-small: Scotty Cameron Phantom 5.5 34"

Hit the cobra speedzone 3wood and end up buying it in my specs .. I love my f9 5w so tried to speedzone and like it as well

:cobra-small: Speedzone Driver Tensei AV Blue or  :ping-small: G400 SFT 10. KBS TD 50 Category 3 shaft 

:cobra-small: F9 SpeedBack Black Grey Fairway 5 Wood   :Fuji: ATMOS Tour Spec Blue 7 shaft

:titelist-small: T300 4i-GW - Tensei AV Blue AM2 Regular Flex  or :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Hot Metal 5 - GW Project X Lz 4.5 Regular Flex Graphite 

On 4/9/2021 at 11:04 AM, Nolan220 said:

Hit the cobra speedzone 3wood and end up buying it in my specs .. I love my f9 5w so tried to speedzone and like it as well

Curious, did you try the Rad Speed by chance as well or did you just try the speedzone?

4 Hybrid: image.png.cf6ab25979c6727ff31e6cc6f719636c.png TSi3 Hzdrs Smoke X flex

1 hour ago, ballplayer002003 said:

Curious, did you try the Rad Speed by chance as well or did you just try the speedzone?

I did not, I am the guy who will get the year prior to save some cash, so when I went I just did F9 3w bc I have the 5w, but they didn't have the specs I wanted in the F9 so they have the speedzone in my specs and it was only little bit more money .. so I figured pay more but get my specs .. so far really liking it .... I wonder if the RAD would be much improvement ? F9 and speedzone where comparable when I hit them. 

18 hours ago, Nolan220 said:

I did not, I am the guy who will get the year prior to save some cash, so when I went I just did F9 3w bc I have the 5w, but they didn't have the specs I wanted in the F9 so they have the speedzone in my specs and it was only little bit more money .. so I figured pay more but get my specs .. so far really liking it .... I wonder if the RAD would be much improvement ? F9 and speedzone where comparable when I hit them. 

I'm with ya on that!  I don't mind doing that either.  I find year to year clubs don't change much aside from looks.  Now I will say, I think they improve much more over say a five or six year time period.

5 hours ago, ballplayer002003 said:

I'm with ya on that!  I don't mind doing that either.  I find year to year clubs don't change much aside from looks.  Now I will say, I think they improve much more over say a five or six year time period.

yes agree on that .. my old 3w that I had taking out of the bag was a TM Burner so it was really outdated .. but yea year to year or 2-3 years I think they are mostly the same