Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Tobacco Road Golf Club Sanford NC

Middler

I’ve played and enjoyed a few tour level “bucket list” golf courses, but Tobacco Road is the most unique, rustic and interesting course I’ve ever played - it’s fascinating. You’ve never seen another course like it. If the Pinehurst area is on your list of places to play I’d highly recommend Tobacco Road. It’s #52 on the Golf Digest Top 100 list of public courses if that matters. It’s a tough course, but you can score better than expected if you manage well, all 8 of us scored a little better than we expected. I’m a 12-15 HI player and expected to lose a bunch of balls, didn’t lose any - though there were some lost balls in our group!

If you like classic, traditional, formal, elite courses - you won’t find that at Tobacco Road, you might hate it. If you don’t like risk-reward challenges stay away. You have to think on almost every shot, but good shots are immensely satisfying, and waste areas-bunkers aren’t the end of the world - sometimes you can recover. If you like courses where you can always see everything in front of you and blast away, you won’t like Tobacco Road.

Greens, tees and fairways are top notch, but the rough is thick in places and there are waste bunkers/areas everywhere. The clubhouse is nice, but small and unpretentious (with quality merch) - unlike grand courses. The practice putting green is two tiers about 6 feet in elevation change, made us laugh. There’s no out of bounds, and no sand traps - but again there are waste areas everywhere so you’ll have sand shots, more than 15 feet below the green on #9 and #11! There are lots of blind shots and you can’t hit driver on every hole, so study the course carefully before you play or hire a walking caddie or forecaddie. We bought yardage books, and used them a lot, mine was full of notes before I played. Some of the greens are reasonably forgiving but a couple are brutal with big elevation changes, and punishing false fronts on a few like #5 and #8. The #13 green is set in a punch bowl like I’ve never seen anywhere else with just a narrow path! Teeing off on #1 is intimidating, with a very narrow gap in front of you, though the fairway opens up nicely beyond - so not as tough as it looks. Only one water hole, the par 3 #14. #16 is scary looking, a blind tee shot and blind approach - but it’s a short hole so not hard if you’re accurate. I’d love to go on and on, but I’ll stop...

I can’t wait to play it again in a couple months when it greens up more (it was greener than I expected in Feb). The video below is very entertaining, but not work safe language.

https://tobaccoroadgolf.com

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, Payntr X 001 F (Mesh)

33 minutes ago, Bosox04 said:

I've played it several times, and really liked it. On the other hand, I played Tot Hill once, another Strantz course, and I did not like it.

Thanks, I was going to research some other Strantz courses, good to have feedback on one. We're thinking about going to Caledonia - but from what I've seen his other courses are more conventional. Maybe Tobacco Road is unique even for Strantz?

I'll add that had I showed up at Tobacco Road with no idea what to expect, I probably would have been put off even irritated - studying the course beforehand and knowing what to expect was probably essential to me enjoying it as much as I did. But it was worth it.

• Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1

1 minute ago, Middler said:

Thanks, I was going to research some other Strantz courses, good to have feedback on one. We're thinking about going to Caledonia - but from what I've seen his other courses are more conventional. Maybe Tobacco Road is unique even for Strantz?

It has some very strange greens. Depending where your ball is, and the hole is, you have to chip rather than putt. I played Caledonia on Easter Saturday many years ago. All the azaleas were blooming, and , besides Augusta, it was the most beautiful course I have ever seen. I was able to get his phone number, called him, and told him just that. He couldn't have been nicer. It's a real shame he died so young. I would have loved to see the other courses he would have built.

I have played Tobacco Road more times than I can count, and I absolutely love the layout.  I think every golfer that goes to Pinehurst needs to stop by and play Tobacco Road, but you need to play it more than once.  This course is like non-other you have played before.  So many blind shots and shots that visually look like you need to hit a very small landing area only to find out that you have more room than what your eyes told you.  I love how unique Tobacco Road, Tot Hill Farms and Royal New Kent.  I have not played the one in Myrtle but want to.  I think with most of the Strantz courses, you either love them or hate them.  Most that hate them tend to love them after the second time through.  Such an amazing out of the box golf course architect.  

Driver:  :callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero Hzdrs Smoke x flex 70g

3 Wood:  :titelist-small: 917 w/ Diamana Whiteboard stiff

5 Wood : :callaway-small: Epic Flash 18* Hzdrs Smoke stiff

4 Hybrid: image.png.cf6ab25979c6727ff31e6cc6f719636c.png TSi3 Hzdrs Smoke X flex

Irons:  :callaway-small: 5-7  Apex forged 19 w/ Modus 120 X

9-A Apex Pro 19 w/ Modus 120 X

Wedges:  :callaway-small: MD5 52&56 Jaws Dynamic Gold wedge flex

Putter: :titelist-small: Scotty Cameron Phantom 5.5 34"

33 minutes ago, ballplayer002003 said:

I have played Tobacco Road more times than I can count, and I absolutely love the layout.  I think every golfer that goes to Pinehurst needs to stop by and play Tobacco Road, but you need to play it more than once.  This course is like non-other you have played before.  So many blind shots and shots that visually look like you need to hit a very small landing area only to find out that you have more room than what your eyes told you.  I love how unique Tobacco Road, Tot Hill Farms and Royal New Kent.  I have not played the one in Myrtle but want to.  I think with most of the Strantz courses, you either love them or hate them.  Most that hate them tend to love them after the second time through.  Such an amazing out of the box golf course architect.  

I think I've played all of the Strantz courses except Bulls Bay.  Aside from Caledonia, which is gorgeous as well as fairly traditional, each course offers lots of visual intimidation while allowing plenty of room for smart golf.  I've played TR more than the rest, and find that its really not that difficult.  There are pretty straightforward choices, where one is easy, and one is extremely demanding with huge penalties for failure.  As long as you don't fall into the ego-trap and instead make smart decisions, its possible to score pretty well.  On many greens, a moderately well-struck shot will funnel towards the flag.  I'd offer two bits of advice.  First, play a shorter set of tees than you normally would, distance isn't intended to be the primary challenge here.  Second, use a yardage book and/or a caddy or forecaddy to understand the right lines.

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

Just now, DaveP043 said:

I think I've played all of the Strantz courses except Bulls Bay.  Aside from Caledonia, which is gorgeous as well as fairly traditional, each course offers lots of visual intimidation while allowing plenty of room for smart golf.  I've played TR more than the rest, and find that its really not that difficult.  There are pretty straightforward choices, where one is easy, and one is extremely demanding with huge penalties for failure.  As long as you don't fall into the ego-trap and instead make smart decisions, its possible to score pretty well.  On many greens, a moderately well-struck shot will funnel towards the flag.  I'd offer two bits of advice.  First, play a shorter set of tees than you normally would, distance isn't intended to be the primary challenge here.  Second, use a yardage book and/or a caddy or forecaddy to understand the right lines.

I was going to say that as well, use an app or yardage book so you can see where to go.  I too find Tobacco Road fairly easy, buy like you, I have played it so many times.  I wouldn't recommend playing that course the first time, without knowing where to go.  A bit of local knowledge goes a LONG way on all of his courses.  

4 Hybrid: image.png.cf6ab25979c6727ff31e6cc6f719636c.png TSi3 Hzdrs Smoke X flex

I think they ruined a perfectly good gravel quarry when they built that dump.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

------------------------------

Driver:   Titleist TSr2 11 - UST Helium 5F3

Fairway: Titleist TS2 16.5 and 21 - Evenflow Riptide CB R

Irons: Titleist U505 4U and T300 5-GW - Aerotech SteelFiber i80 R

Wedges:  Cleveland Black RTX ZipCore 54 and Full Face 58 - True Temper Dynamic Gold Wedge 

Putter:  Odyssey TriHot 5K TripleWide

Bag:  Titleist 15 Cart

11 hours ago, ballplayer002003 said:

You forgot the other Stranz course near Williamsburg;  Stonehouse has reopened.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

8 hours ago, cnosil said:

You forgot the other Stranz course near Williamsburg;  Stonehouse has reopened.  

Have you played that?  If so what did you think?  I love his designs.  They are just totally different and visually unique.  I wouldn't want to play them everyday, because as mentioned before, they are not hard, but man they are fun.  I'll have to check it out this summer.

Have you played that?  If so what did you think?  I love his designs.  They are just totally different and visually unique.  I wouldn't want to play them everyday, because as mentioned before, they are not hard, but man they are fun.  I'll have to check it out this summer.

I haven’t played it in about 15 years. It shutdown for a long time and opened again in the past year. I don’t remember a lot about the course but I know my complaints were about the blind tee shots and needed to know the course to play effectively.

You don’t think RNK is hard? While knowing the course is necessary, when the grass has filled in you can’t miss the fairway.

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I played Stonehouse shortly after it opened, and maybe once more, but its been a long time for me.  One impression I remember was that a majority of approach shots seemed to play downhill.  Beyond that, I just remember it as somehow "Strantz-like", with visual intimidation and trickery.

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

1 hour ago, cnosil said:

I haven’t played it in about 15 years. It shutdown for a long time and opened again in the past year. I don’t remember a lot about the course but I know my complaints were about the blind tee shots and needed to know the course to play effectively.

You don’t think RNK is hard? While knowing the course is necessary, when the grass has filled in you can’t miss the fairway.

I only played it once, and I remember the fairways were pretty wide but, you are correct, you couldn't miss them or else there was trouble.  I really remember thinking on many holes..."ohhhhh, if I would have driven up to look around that mound I would have hit a much different shot".  I had a lot of those moments.  Definitely, want to play there again!   

To say I love Tobacco Road is an understatement.  No trip will ever be made to the Sand Hills and me not playing no less than two rounds of golf at TR.   

529735D3-5883-4B5B-B956-254557077093.jpeg

default_taylormade-small(1).jpg.85912868199b94e166402712fb9f64b0.jpg Stealth 2 Plus 10.5* driver

default_ping-small.jpg.f0dadf3a40970feec67664677f8eff49.jpg G425 14.5*, 17.5* FWs

default_ping-small.jpg.f0dadf3a40970feec67664677f8eff49.jpg G425 22* hybrid

default_ping-small.jpg.f0dadf3a40970feec67664677f8eff49.jpg i230 irons, 5 - W

default_ping-small.jpg.f0dadf3a40970feec67664677f8eff49.jpg Glide 4.0 S 50*, 54*, 58* wedges

EVNROLL.gif.c1122c4834ff1cdf4df48962afede4ed.gif  EV 5.3 33"

• 3 weeks later...

The place is really amazing not only for playing golf, it is also perfect for picnics haha. One of the most perfect golf places I have ever seen, in my city there are not that cool clubs, so their territories became too easy for me. Btw, guys made a great job, I really like to watch your channel (since I started to play golf). So after friday game with my friends, we come to my place and watch golf videos. Also I wanted to ask you guys a thing, do you know any good videos which will make a review of the best golf clubs for a teenager? I want to buy a kit for my son and I found smth on different websites, but I want to see how they are in the game.

Edited by YvonneBow

GolfTwitter is goo goo gaga for Tobacco Road. It wasn't around when I lived in that area and have not been back since. Would like to play it if I can get my game in gear. Looking to do more weekend driving trips this year.

Driver: :cobra-small: Speed Zone 9* HZRDUS Smoke Yellow Shaft

3 Wood: :cobra-small: King Speedzone 13.5* HZRDUS Smoke Black Shaft

2 & 3 Hybrids: :cobra-small: Speedzone Recoil 480 ESX Shaft

Irons: :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-GW Recoil 460 ESX Shafts

Wedges::callaway-logo-1: PM Grind 54* & 58*

Putter: :odyssey-small: Dual Force Rossi II

Ball: Whatever I find in the woods

:Arccos:

HCP:18

• 2 weeks later...
  • Guests
On 2/23/2021 at 9:52 PM, MarkCPA said:

To say I love Tobacco Road is an understatement.  No trip will ever be made to the Sand Hills and me not playing no less than two rounds of golf at TR.   

529735D3-5883-4B5B-B956-254557077093.jpeg

On 2/21/2021 at 8:00 AM, Middler said:

I’ve played and enjoyed a few tour level “bucket list” golf courses, but Tobacco Road is the most unique, rustic and interesting course I’ve ever played - it’s fascinating. You’ve never seen another course like it. If the Pinehurst area is on your list of places to play I’d highly recommend Tobacco Road. It’s #52 on the Golf Digest Top 100 list of public courses if that matters. It’s a tough course, but you can score better than expected if you manage well, all 8 of us scored a little better than we expected. I’m a 12-15 HI player and expected to lose a bunch of balls, didn’t lose any - though there were some lost balls in our group!

If you like classic, traditional, formal, elite courses - you won’t find that at Tobacco Road, you might hate it. If you don’t like risk-reward challenges stay away. You have to think on almost every shot, but good shots are immensely satisfying, and waste areas-bunkers aren’t the end of the world - sometimes you can recover. If you like courses where you can always see everything in front of you and blast away, you won’t like Tobacco Road.

Greens, tees and fairways are top notch, but the rough is thick in places and there are waste bunkers/areas everywhere. The clubhouse is nice, but small and unpretentious (with quality merch) - unlike grand courses. The practice putting green is two tiers about 6 feet in elevation change, made us laugh. There’s no out of bounds, and no sand traps - but again there are waste areas everywhere so you’ll have sand shots, more than 15 feet below the green on #9 and #11! There are lots of blind shots and you can’t hit driver on every hole, so study the course carefully before you play or hire a walking caddie or forecaddie. We bought yardage books, and used them a lot, mine was full of notes before I played. Some of the greens are reasonably forgiving but a couple are brutal with big elevation changes, and punishing false fronts on a few like #5 and #8. The #13 green is set in a punch bowl like I’ve never seen anywhere else with just a narrow path! Teeing off on #1 is intimidating, with a very narrow gap in front of you, though the fairway opens up nicely beyond - so not as tough as it looks. Only one water hole, the par 3 #14. #16 is scary looking, a blind tee shot and blind approach - but it’s a short hole so not hard if you’re accurate. I’d love to go on and on, but I’ll stop...

I can’t wait to play it again in a couple months when it greens up more (it was greener than I expected in Feb). The video below is very entertaining, but not work safe language.

https://tobaccoroadgolf.com

Played it last fall for the first time on my way to FL along with PH#2 and Kiawah Ocean and TR was my favorite of the 3...  A fantastic place to bring a group of guys for drinks and betting!   Could play 2 straight days of 36 holes per and not get tired of it....

• 1 month later...

Tobacco Road showed up in the Top 40 of the "Top 100 Courses You Can Play" on Golf.com. I would tend to agree. Not everyone's cup of tea but I loved how different it was and even with all the blind shots it was still very scoreable. 

:mizuno-small: STZ 230 9.5* ➖ PinHawk SLF 16* ➖ :mizuno-small: STZ 230 Hybrid 21.25* ➖ MALTBY TS1-IM 5-GW ➖ :benhogan-small: Equalizer II 54* ➖ :ping-small: Glide 4.0 (S) 58* ➖ L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 
Maxfli Tour X Official Review -- https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63068-testers-announced-maxfli-tour-x-golf-balls-with-max-align-technology/?do=findComment&comment=1021832

What type of pricing are we talking here? Feel like everywhere I’ve turned golf wise I’ve heard awesome things! 

:cobra-small: Radspeed Driver 10.5*

:cobra-small: Radspeed 3W 14.5*

:taylormade-small: Stealth 4H 22*

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro 4i-PW

:cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Wedge 52* Mid Bounce

:cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Wedge 56* Mid Bounce

Kirkland Signature KS1 Putter

12 minutes ago, Ben_Howell34 said:

What type of pricing are we talking here? Feel like everywhere I’ve turned golf wise I’ve heard awesome things! 

https://tobaccoroadgolf.com/course/#rates

2 minutes ago, cnosil said:

Thanks! That’s very reasonable for an elite course. 

:cobra-small: Radspeed Driver 10.5*

:cobra-small: Radspeed 3W 14.5*

:taylormade-small: Stealth 4H 22*

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro 4i-PW

:cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Wedge 52* Mid Bounce

:cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Wedge 56* Mid Bounce

Kirkland Signature KS1 Putter

We recently played Tot Hill Farm, another Strantz course. It was decent, but nowhere near as unique or interesting as Tobacco Road IMO. Then again, the rates at THF are less than TR, so you get what you pay for. THF is TR-lite, it felt like TR with half the original budget. I’m going back to TR, probably not THF.

• Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1

• 1 month later...

Over Memorial Day weekend I finally did my Pinehurst Bucket List Trip, playing both Tot Hill Farm and Tobacco Road, Pinehurst #2, #4, and #8 (and The Cradle, naturally), and the Mid Pines/Pine Needles duo. Tobacco Road was the course that I was looking forward to the most and it did not disappoint one bit... it actually exceeded expectations. I enjoyed it more than anything else on the trip and I had the worst weather of the trip on that day as well. I hope I can make it back.

I've always loved Strantz courses, I've been able to play Royal New Kent and Stonehouse as well as True Blue and Caledonia... though all of those were nearly 20 years ago now.

We played TR in Feb, lucked into a good weather day, but the course didn't look much like the pics above. Greens were surprisingly decent for Feb, but fairways were nothing like the pics above. May go back to TR this Fall when the heat starts to let up.

• Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1

My pics were from just from a few weeks ago; June 15, 2021.    Outside of some minor stress around the edges of the first green, the course was in great shape.    As usual, I played it twice on my Pinehurst trip.    

default_taylormade-small(1).jpg.85912868199b94e166402712fb9f64b0.jpg Stealth 2 Plus 10.5* driver

default_ping-small.jpg.f0dadf3a40970feec67664677f8eff49.jpg G425 14.5*, 17.5* FWs

default_ping-small.jpg.f0dadf3a40970feec67664677f8eff49.jpg G425 22* hybrid

default_ping-small.jpg.f0dadf3a40970feec67664677f8eff49.jpg i230 irons, 5 - W

default_ping-small.jpg.f0dadf3a40970feec67664677f8eff49.jpg Glide 4.0 S 50*, 54*, 58* wedges

EVNROLL.gif.c1122c4834ff1cdf4df48962afede4ed.gif  EV 5.3 33"

I've only played the front nine at TR about 10 years ago before getting chased off the course on the last day of our Pinehurst trip.  I remember that:

• I was getting my ass kicked
  • I really wanted to see the rest of the course

I've played RNK a few times, and it's amazing.  I haven't played it since it reopened, but my girls want to take me there to play it with them.

I've only played Stonehouse once, and I remember having a pretty good round going till the 18th.  The yardage book made it look like the fairway narrowed down significantly at about 250 with rough on the left.  I pulled up to find out that it was a cliff on the left, not rough.  I'd basically hit my tee shot off the planet.  And I'd only missed the fairway by about 10 feet.

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

On 2/23/2021 at 8:55 AM, ballplayer002003 said:

I only played it once, and I remember the fairways were pretty wide but, you are correct, you couldn't miss them or else there was trouble.  I really remember thinking on many holes..."ohhhhh, if I would have driven up to look around that mound I would have hit a much different shot".  I had a lot of those moments.  Definitely, want to play there again!   

Let me know if you make it up this way. I just joined there yesterday, couldn’t pass up the course for the price and it being six minutes from my office. 

WITB 2024

Driver: :taylormade-small:  Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: Sim 19* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Hybrid: :PXG: 0317x 22* KBS Proto 95x

Irons: :callaway-small: X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Wedges:  :callaway-small: Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Putter:  :callaway-small: Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Ball: :srixon-small: Z Star Diamond