TESTERS WANTED! ×

Loudmouth Golf Apparel – REVIEW

GolfSpy Dave

• SPY VIP

Loudmouth Golf Apparel – REVIEW

An Official MyGolfSpy Review

http://us.loudmouthgolf.com/

These Are Definitely Not Urban Camouflage

Loudmouth Golf definitely got one thing right when they went into business, their name. As one looks through the offerings on the Loudmouth Golf site, words like “conservative”, “subtle”, and “reserved” are likely thousands of miles away from your thoughts. The Loudmouth patterns are bold, and definitely loud. They attract attention, like those blue bug lights that some of you have on the back patio. I think that it is safe to say that Loudmouth clothing will not pass by unnoticed.

IMG_2325.jpg

But how is Loudmouth gear for golf? Daly wears it all over the place, but John is still fighting to get back into Sunday contention. Could the clothing that makes him stand out on the course also be one of the things holding back his game?

STYLE (20 Points)

Here is the link to a PDF Loudmouth brochure: http://us.loudmouthgolf.com/brochure/LMG-Brochure-US-Web.pdf

I think that this is going to be a love/hate category for most. You like it, or not. Personally, I really like the pattern on the Cotton Candy shorts that I had in for review. The colors are bold, the patterns almost hypnotic. For me, they work great together and are one of my favorites from the Loudmouth offerings.

IMG_2296.jpg

The Loudmouth White Border Shirt is actually very conservative in style. The solid White Border Shirt was only minimally accented at the cuffs and collar with grey.

IMG_2288.jpg

The only other markings are a small LM logo on the front and an embroidered “Loudmouth” under the collar on the back.

IMG_2289.jpg

IMG_2292.jpg

I love the bold style of Loudmouth, but some may not. If you are frightened by the boldness, reduce your style score accordingly.

STYLE SCORE: 20/20

FIT AND CONSTRUCTION

Both the polo shirt and the shorts are well made. In both cases though, they seem to run a bit on the small side, so it is probably important to make sure you try them on before purchase or buy them from an online source with a good return policy (Direct from Loudmouth gives you 45 days to return if unwashed and unworn). I ended going up a size on the shirt and shorts after trying them on at a local shop. Once this was dialed in, the fit was solid.

Both the shirt and shorts are very comfortable. I did not experience any binding or bunching of fabric during use. I would definitely describe the material is light, but sturdy. The double button waist closure did its job without being noticeable during play. One fit feature worth noting is that the shorts are a bit longer than my usual golf shorts.

IMG_2301.jpg

IMG_2298.jpg

IMG_2299.jpg

The Syntrel® 366 fabric in the polo does feel lighter than the traditional cotton pique fabric that it resembles.

IMG_2295.jpg

FIT AND CONSTRUCTION: 19/20

PERFORMANCE (50 Points)

In this review, perhaps the allocating 50% of the points to performance is a bit off track. I don't think that anyone will argue the point that Loudmouth's niche in the golf clothing market is its bold patterns and style. While that is the case, they are not marketing loud clothing; they are marketing loud GOLF clothing. How this gear performs on the course is still paramount to its mission.

The testing environment for the Loudmouth outfit was a bit different from my previous reviews where I would take the clothes out to the home course to put them through the golfing paces. For this review, I wore the Loudmouth outfit to a scramble tournament sponsored by the Briar Patch cigar shop here in Sacramento. This was their second annual golf tournament with the proceeds going to the Iraq Star charity. I played in the tournament last year with some buddies and it was a good time, for a great cause. Seemed like a perfect, fun round to roll out the Loudmouth outfit.

IMG_2326.jpg

From a pure playing golf perspective, I really loved the feel and fit of both the shorts and polo. Perhaps the best compliment that I can give the clothes is that I forgot that I was wearing them while I was playing. That's a bit hard to do when your legs are sporting a Cotton Candy pattern. I thought that that extra length would get in the way a bit during play, it didn't. The shirt did a nice job of staying tucked, in spite of my long torso. The sleeves were short enough to stay out of the way during the swing, but no so short to evoke muscle shirt comments. My only wish would be a three-button collar to have a little more control over neck venting. The Syntrel® 366 does a nice job of wicking away moisture (that's sweat, but it is more polite to say moisture).

IMG_2287.jpg

IMG_2294.jpg

IMG_2293.jpg

I do not think that the cut or the fabric had any negative impact on my game. Loudmouth Golf is not responsible for Daly not winning on Sundays. I think that it is probably helping him play better. Remember this outfit that John wore?

Were this a “normal” clothing review, I would probably stop here and give the gear a near perfect performance score. However, there are two parts to the Loudmouth story for me, the performance and the perception. My interaction with the Loudmouth clothing on the course only tells part of the story.

The Cotton Candy pattern is really not that close to my usual clothing design. As such, pulling on the gear and heading out to the course actually generated a bit of anxiety for me. Not a lot, as I am old enough now to really not care that much about how others perceive me. That being said, I would be lying if I said that I was not concerned about the public response to the Loudmouth style. I didn't really give it that much thought though as I was going to a golf course where: a. Outrageous fashion choices have been the norm for decades. and b. The Loudmouth Golf style and brand would be recognized by other golfers and viewed as normal attire for golf.

I definitely underestimated the attention that the shorts would attract. I arrived before my buddies, deciding to check in and warm up while I waited for them. As I approached the building to check in, there were two guys out front smoking cigars who stopped conversation mid-sentence when I walked up, and started openly laughing as I walked passed them. I said “That's what they are for.” and went inside to register. I grabbed a warm-up bucket and went to the range. I honestly don't think that there was a single person who didn't spend a moment gawking at the shorts. The guy in the spot next to me told me that I should win the whole thing just for wearing the shorts. I smiled, made some courteous reply, and stretched (thanks Swinkey).

Here it got a little bizarre. As I glanced around the range, I could tell that some of the guys were waiting for me to hit a ball to see the game that went with the shorts. I hit a half PW, and I felt something “go” in my left shoulder. I hit a second and the pain increased. I have been nursing a sore shoulder for a while, but nothing like this. I decided to hit one with the driver to see if I could even play in the tournament. I made it about 2/3 through the swing, barely making contact before my shoulder completely refused to comply. When I duffed that drive, I heard laughter from some of the other guys on the range. I can't say that the two events are connected, as I grabbed my stuff and raced to the store for Advil and icy-hot roll-on (awesome), but the timing of the laughter seemed too perfect to be coincidental.

After stretching and drugs, the shoulder loosened up enough to swing and the pain I experienced on the range did not return, and so I played in the tournament. During play, my buddies blamed the shorts for my irons coming up short. They knew the cause was the shoulder, but the shorts were too easy a target to pass on. Lots of snarky comments from the random others on the course. Nothing worth getting angry over, but hearing “nice shorts” got old. Another random guy at dinner said I should automatically win a raffle prize for wearing them. This when another guy in the room was in full-on Ricky Fowler gear. I think that the majority of the players in the tournament were casual golfers who had no knowledge of Loudmouth Golf. They saw someone in crazy patterned pink shorts and didn't really know what to make of them.

There were a few moments when I felt like Joe Peschi asking why he was “funny”. (clip language is NSFW)

It wasn't until the event was winding down and I was leaving that one of the younger guys asked, “Are those Loudmouth?” and then responded with a “cool” when I said that they were.

IMG_2327.jpg

The shorts drew a lot of attention, far more than I anticipated. I never expected that total strangers would approach a 6', 200 lb man and make comments about his shorts. I imagine that playing in leather chaps would have attracted less attention.

Don't leave with the wrong impression though, I like these shorts, and I will wear them again. I have a tournament next month for my college, and weather permitting; I'll wear the shorts without hesitation. I would even wear one of the Loudmouth sport coats and pants to this year's MyGolfSpy Christmas party. Now that I know the level of attention that the shorts will attract, I will be less surprised by it.

PERFORMANCE SCORE: 46/50 (but lower if that much attention would trash your game)

VALUE (10 Points)

The Loudmouth Golf apparel is well made and should make it through a season or two depending upon frequency of use. Be aware that the shorts are line dry only and that both should be washed with cold water settings. At about $75 each for the polo and the shorts, you are spending more on these than some of the other available polos and shorts, but I think that the quality and the uniqueness of the Loudmouth designs put the cost/value ration in about the correct position.

VALUE SCORE: 10/10

TOTAL SCORE: 95/100

SUMMARY

While the bold patterns are impossible to overlook, Loudmouth Golf makes clothing that is great to wear while playing golf. They have such a wide range of patterns and colors that one who is looking to veer from the golfing norm should be able to find something that pleases his or her eye. Be forewarned though, you will get noticed when you rock Loudmouth. Perhaps you need to ease into it with one of their awesome putter covers first...

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

• SPY VIP

Are the shorts made of Syntrel as well?

For those of us not familiar with the fabric, is it as soft as cotton, more scratchy feeling, etc. etc. etc.?

Thanks for the review!

Shorts are not the same fabric. They are a 97% Cotton/3% Spandex blend. Very soft and comfortable.

The shirt fabric is much softer than the weave suggests. It's 100% poly, but does feel different from some of the other moisture-wicking shirts I own. Feels lighter. Totally non-scratchy.

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

• SPY VIP

Generally I haven't been a fan of the loudmouth patterns, but I'd most definitely wear those shorts. Very ho-hum polo, but with those shorts it's probably better to play it a bit conservatively on the top.

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

I'll stick to Puma's loud colors!

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

Archived