Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Listing your favorite golf holes that you've played

juspoole

A buddy recently asked me my favorite par 3's, par 4's and par 5s so it got me thinking.  First off, I attempted to think back through and jot down the courses I've played and I have to do a better job at cataloguing courses for memory.  I do not have a large amount of courses that are top US courses, but that doesn't always matter.   I thought it could be fun to read some of your favorite holes and why.  

Par 3's 

Hicory Ridge Golf Course - 8th Hole - Played this course in an outing and while it was fairly nice, it was not really all that memorable.  Only reason this is here is because this is where I recorded my first and only hole in one to date thus far.

Woodland Country Club  (Indiana)  2   - Grew up playing this course with my grandparents.  They are the reason I got into golf in the first place and whenever I got to play (3/4 times per summer) it was always a treat.  
Pacific Dunes  (Oregon)  11  - See picture below - just a terrific par 3. 

image.png.f09789feb312f0698da28ae09354c9ec.png 
Indian Creek  (Florida)   12   - Beautiful course in Miami that I was lucky enough to play.  Conditions were perfect and incredibly rich area that seemed like they were trying to outdo one another for award for ugliest statue in their front yard.  Believe Julio Iglecias lives here, saw a few plots of land around 40M dollars.  Insane!

image.png.81c02278aead2cc3edb6c384ec9c0287.png

Cog Hill  (Illinios)  14  - Very well conditioned course, but not as memorable as I'd hoped.   This hole was a downhill 220 yard par 3 with some hills in the background near the back of the property so it felt very secluded.  Also tried the golf boards this day and those were a lot of fun.  

Par 4's

Bandon Dunes  (Oregon)   16   - Really cool blind tee shot and very strategic.  Only about 315 I think so you can get close to the green, but a few pot bunkers make it really tough.  I tried to hit a hybrid and thought I hit a good shot, only to find I was in a bunker and had a 50 yard bunker shot.  Hit a great shot out to around 10 feet but only ended with par.

image.png.70b6517635ea9344721cd78724a6e735.png

Bandon Dunes  (Oregon)   4th Hole - This is the first time that you see the ocean and it's blind from the tee shot.  The second shot it comes into play with an infinity green for a very scenic view.

image.png.ec30fb67cc5a90204ee4ea3dee54691a.png

Indian Creek  (Florida)   13 - Drivable par 4 dogleg left with water going down the entire left side.  City of Miami in the distance with boaters all along the water in amazing yachts.  Pretty cool hole.
The Virtues Golf Club (Ohio)   6   - Highly rated public course in Ohio that I played with a co worker and we were pleasantly surprised by how great this course was.  It also was not busy at all and I hope it's getting the play it deserves.  If you're near Columbus, make a point to try this course out.  Hard to tell in pic, but it was severely downhill with tee ball and rather short so strategy was big here.   Also water surrounded the green on three sides on the back.  

image.png.7ce5bfcb7cd11c8599398333f8601912.png

Atlantic Dunes  (South Carolina)   5    = Just fit my eye - right to left dogleg in the south carolina pines calls for you to shape your shot off the tee or be left with a long approach.  Luckily I was able to shape a drive and only had 120 left in.  
Bandon Dunes  (Oregon)  5 - Long par 4 with large dunes on both sides. You can still hear the water, but can't see it quite as easily.  Green also surrounded by dunes and just gave a unique look for a hole.  Reminded me of what you would find in a course in Ireland.
Pacific Dunes  (Oregon)   4   - Great driving hole that you have to carry a good ways to be in a good spot.  Straightforward, but just a gorgeous hole.

image.png.fe1506a984605895c2289f5fb07d9a7c.png

Ocean Links Golf Course at Amelia Island  (Florida)  4   - Really cool downhill short par 4 with the ocean to your right and all along the hole.  You've probably noticed that I have a thing for ocean/water holes.  Not mad about it.  Unfortunately I think they demolished this course, but was able to play it back in 2015 or 2016 while still around.

Par 5's

Laurel Valley  (Pennsylvania)   18th hole - Great course in PA that I'm lucky enough to play the past few years for an outing.   This course is not far from Latrobe and has an incredible clubhouse and a lot of Arnold Palmer memorabilia.  This hole leads back to the great clubhouse that perched on a hill with water guarding the second shot in front of the green making it unlikely to get there in two and a demanding three shot hole.  

image.png.5a2e5c0604b3542c02ec6332bb7ec522.png
Atlantic Dunes  (South Carolina)   9th hole - Straight forward par 5 with trees lining the left of the fairway and water surrounding the green.  Hit a wonderful 5 iron from the fairway bunker to about 12 feet and made eagle.  The clubhouse in the background as well makes it a really cool way to finish the front 9.

image.png.0a61f918689ff7f964e18c35400bbbb3.png
The Fort (Indiana)     6th hole - Downhill tee shot to a tight tree lined fairway that only goes right back up the hill for the second shot.  Reachable in two, but the tee shot is visually very demanding and one of my favorite on the course.  
Sagamore Golf Club (Indiana)  18 - Dogleg left par 5 with water on the left side for the tee shot that runs down the fairway with tall trees along the left.  Course is always in immaculate condition.

image.png.a05591c10341d4ce07a0a6b0d9b8be74.png

I'll be playing the Ocean Front Course at Palmetto Dunes and Harbour Town in June, so likely will have a few updates.  Sorry for the long post, but hope some of you can find this as a fun exercise.  I was supposed to go to Pinehurst in April but unfortunately got injured so will have to look forward to the next one.

Driver:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngMavrik Sub Zero 9* (Set to 10) Ventus Blue 6X

2 Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSI3 Hybrid Tensei Blue 80 X (17.25*)

3 Hybrid :titelist-small: 818 H2 Hybrid Hzrdus RDX Black 6.5 (20.5*)

4 Iron -  :titelist-small: T200 4 Iron Graphite Design Tour AD IZ X Hybrid Shaft

Irons 5-PW:  :titelist-small: T100-S 5 - GW KBS Tour 130 X

Gap/Sand Wedge:  :titelist-small: Vokey SM6 49*  SM8 54* 

Lob Wedge:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngJaws 5 Wedge 58* DG Tour Issue Stiff

Putter:   :scotty-small: Phantom 5.5 34"      Pro Platinum Newport 2 35"      Taylormade Tour Black Spider 34"

• juspoole changed the title to Listing your favorite golf holes that you've played
  • 2 months later...

Intrigued if anyone has some hidden gems on this.

Driver:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngMavrik Sub Zero 9* (Set to 10) Ventus Blue 6X

2 Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSI3 Hybrid Tensei Blue 80 X (17.25*)

3 Hybrid :titelist-small: 818 H2 Hybrid Hzrdus RDX Black 6.5 (20.5*)

4 Iron -  :titelist-small: T200 4 Iron Graphite Design Tour AD IZ X Hybrid Shaft

Irons 5-PW:  :titelist-small: T100-S 5 - GW KBS Tour 130 X

Gap/Sand Wedge:  :titelist-small: Vokey SM6 49*  SM8 54* 

Lob Wedge:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngJaws 5 Wedge 58* DG Tour Issue Stiff

Putter:   :scotty-small: Phantom 5.5 34"      Pro Platinum Newport 2 35"      Taylormade Tour Black Spider 34"

@juspoole I am playing Harbour Town in November so will be looking out to see your review/thoughts after you play. I am going to keep it simple:

Best Par 3: No. 9 at Sweetens Cove. Only about 125-135 yards, slightly uphill but has a HUGE right to left funnel which makes the left pin extremely accessible (and a potential hole in one) and the right pin requiring a very well played shot. The shed and heckle deck is right behind the green and usually it is your last hole played at Sweetens and it is in the mega light as dusk is falling. Could play this hole over and over and over. Personally, I think all par 3s should be under 170 yards and have interesting movement in the green like this. Playing a straight forward 200+ par 3 absolutely STINKS in my opinion. Also, love how the green is framed by waste bunkers that aren't really in play unless you hit a terrible shot. Also toss in the fact that this course is typically in PHENOMENAL shape. Every time I play this hole I just think about how I wish there were more par 3s like it but, also, maybe that is why it stands out so much and how if all par 3s were like this, it wouldn't be so special. To design a truly interesting and challenging par 3 under 150 yards without making it an island green is a really great design feat in my mind. 

image.png.cc6f1a673c3623abb4a34f6d1b591bbe.png

:mizuno-small: STZ 230 9.5* ➖ PinHawk SLF 16* ➖ :mizuno-small: STZ 230 Hybrid 21.25* ➖ MALTBY TS1-IM 5-GW ➖ :benhogan-small: Equalizer II 54* ➖ :ping-small: Glide 4.0 (S) 58* ➖ L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 
Maxfli Tour X Official Review -- https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63068-testers-announced-maxfli-tour-x-golf-balls-with-max-align-technology/?do=findComment&comment=1021832