TESTERS WANTED! ×

2021 Most Wanted-Driver

Golfspy_CG2

Most Wanted Driver  

537 members have voted

1. 1. What was the most surprising result from the 2021 Most Wanted Driver results?

• PXG being the best value
    • PING G425 not finishing in the top 3
    • TaylorMade SIM2 in the middle of the pack
    • Two top-5 places for Cobra

58 minutes ago, 03trdblack said:

Alrighty, I'm going to be the first to be "that guy" that dives too deep into the data.  Comparing the PXG 0211 with the Callaway Epic Max LS.  The numbers are statistically identical but the Callaway has just shy of 6 yards carry over the PXG.  How??  🧐

A .38MPH difference in ball speed can't equal 6 yards.  It doesn't make any difference in the real world but on a chart it puts Callaway at the top and the PXG waaaaay down the list.

PXG 0211:  BS - 138.19, Launch - 13.55, Spin - 2,356, Carry - 224.76

Callaway Epic Max LS:  BS - 138.57, Launch - 13.51, Spin 2,349, Carry - 230.55

You’d need to see other metrics like standard deviation to really know where the six yard difference came from. It could be the center of the face for pxg is really hot where the periphery isn’t, so they had a couple bombs but a lot of clunkers. Callaway might be more stable across the face, so ball speed numbers are more consistent resulting in more consistent distances. 

Taylormade M5 Driver

Cobra F9 3 Wood

Srixon ZX5 4-6 Iron

Srixon ZX7 7-PW

Taylormade MG2 Wedges 50/55/60

Taylormade Spider X Putter

40 minutes ago, FrogginBullfish said:

Those are the averages of each individual metric from every shot hit with those clubs. It's not really a useful means of comparing the two as the averages don't tell you enough about the actual data sets. You would need to examine the Callaway and PXG statistics with the dispersion pattern to get a fuller picture. Based on a quick glance, the PXG has ranges from 160-320 yards whereas Callaway was 170-310. The Callaway also only had one ball at 175 or below whereas the PXG had 9.

The rankings are made through the strokes gained analysis, but MGS includes the averages table cause people always complain when they don't.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Bingo.  Which is why standard deviations would be great to see

3 hours ago, StrokerAce said:

the price on that PXG driver - my goodness what a deal. And it looks sharp too. If I was in the market that would be a strong contender.

don't overlook the Tour Edge. That is a solid stick.

I bought the Gen 2 0811 XF.  The weather has been so crappy here that I've only got one range and one 18 hole session in with it, and the weather stunk both of those times as well.  The forgiveness is definitely there, just need to know for sure if the distance is palatable, and I haven't been able to play yet where I can really tell.  Weather looking to break here in SC this wee, optimistic to get out twice, maybe.  Maybe...???

"Where'd it go?"  "Right in the Lumberyard..."

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2  0811 XF 10.5*  Graphite Design Tour AD DI-6x

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2 0211 15* 3W Mitsubishi Tensei Raw Blue 65-S
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 15*   Fairway UST ProForce V2 7F5 76g X-Flex

(These two are gonna fight it out in early "24 to see who stays in the bag...)

:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 19* & 22* Hybrid UST ProForce V2 90g X-Flex
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR HF-2 irons (5i - PW)  KBS Tour 130x

:cleveland-small: CBX Wedges (50, 54, 58)  TT Dynamic Gold 115 Wedge Shaft
MATI  Mamo Putter 33"  Super Stroke Football League 3.0 Slim
MX21TOURYLW_NOCOLOR_FRT.jpg.79e37b9c329b3d3a644cb61d2746a057.jpg

:ping-small: Hoofer Camo Stand Bag

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro Nexus Rangefinder

:PuttOut:FAN!

1711524086_TheGrintlogo_text_1.png.c1eb3f656b10191d1fc9a14a0fd77f95.png PRO Member

Can’t wait, glad to see the results. Likely headed for a driver fitting in the next 1-2 months. Probably wouldn’t have looked at callaway epic max ls prior to seeing the results. Still really thinking I am set for the G425 or TSi2

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 Plus 9deg Kai' li Red

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 13deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 15deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 4-PW Nippon Modus 120s

:vokey-small: SM8 54 and 58deg Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex

:titleist-small: Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Titleist ProV1

:ping-small: Hoofer Stand Bag

Stewart Q Follow Electric Caddie

:callaway-small: 300 PRO Rangefinder

Official Nippon Regio B+ Driver Shaft Review

Official Stewart Q Follow Review

4 hours ago, jddaigneault said:

I anxiously await this data as well. 

I actually need both the High and Mid reports... because I'm kind of on the line... Realistically, I hit the Radspeed XB and liked it a lot.  And I'll go try and hit the others too just because they're out there but I'm not thinking anything is going to be measurably different than the Speedzone.  The only thing I can think is that I MIGHT get more ball speed out of a XB or similar if I can go to a 9* head vs the 10.5* head in the Speedzone if spin stays in check.  But I'm usually more of a low launcher and the 10.5 heads fit me better.  Time will tell!

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

Having just bought a G410 LST last october I was most pleased with this section:

2020 Most Wanted vs 2021 - PING G410 LST

This year, we put our previous year's winner in the field. The PING G410 LST did not disappoint. It finished 7th in Strokes Gained, 7th in Forgiveness, and 6th in Total Distance. We continually see examples of "newer isn't alway better" and the PING G410 LST is another testament to this observation.

---

Looks like no need to upgrade, especially considering if the USGA and R&A start to reduce head size or weight to "combat the distance problem!"

In my :ping-small: Hoofer:

:ping-small: G410 LST 10.5* - Kai'Li White 60 X-flex

:nike-small: VRS Covert 3W 15* - Kuro Kage 65 S-flex

:titelist-small:  T200 4-GW, DG X100 Tour Issue - Tester

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth 54.12 SS & 58.10 SS

:ping-small:  Zing 2 LW - 60*

:ping-small:  Anser 2

3 hours ago, 03trdblack said:

Alrighty, I'm going to be the first to be "that guy" that dives too deep into the data.  Comparing the PXG 0211 with the Callaway Epic Max LS.  The numbers are statistically identical but the Callaway has just shy of 6 yards carry over the PXG.  How??  🧐

A .38MPH difference in ball speed can't equal 6 yards.  It doesn't make any difference in the real world but on a chart it puts Callaway at the top and the PXG waaaaay down the list.

PXG 0211:  BS - 138.19, Launch - 13.55, Spin - 2,356, Carry - 224.76

Callaway Epic Max LS:  BS - 138.57, Launch - 13.51, Spin 2,349, Carry - 230.55

As with what the other people mentioned below, also need to look at launch angle. I was looking at a couple of them with near identical ball speed and spin numbers, but launch angle explained the difference. 

But the other thing to look at is the strokes gained, the difference between the top options down to the middle of list is such that it would take multiple rounds before gaining a full stroke. 

The winner is us, they are all good. 

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: SIM2 Max 12° - Accra TZ6 M4

FW Wood:     th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg Gen5 0311 7w  Fujikura Motore X F3

Irons:   :srixon-small: ZX7 PW-7i, ZX5 6i-5i

Wedges: :cleveland-small:  Zipcore 50°, 58°

Putter:   :taylormade-small: MySpider X

Cart: image.png.5aa5e9b8c0d6e08a2b12be76a06a07ca.pngOnewheel XR+

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond/ Z-Star XV

1 hour ago, B.Boston said:

I actually need both the High and Mid reports... because I'm kind of on the line... Realistically, I hit the Radspeed XB and liked it a lot.  And I'll go try and hit the others too just because they're out there but I'm not thinking anything is going to be measurably different than the Speedzone.  The only thing I can think is that I MIGHT get more ball speed out of a XB or similar if I can go to a 9* head vs the 10.5* head in the Speedzone if spin stays in check.  But I'm usually more of a low launcher and the 10.5 heads fit me better.  Time will tell!

Seemed like you were hitting the Speedzone quite well during the CCC4, I’d hope it’s hard to beat. Less money spent on drivers means more rounds of golf!

Taylormade M5 Driver

Cobra F9 3 Wood

Srixon ZX5 4-6 Iron

Srixon ZX7 7-PW

7 minutes ago, Thin2win said:

As with what the other people mentioned below, also need to look at launch angle. I was looking at a couple of them with near identical ball speed and spin numbers, but launch angle explained the difference. 

But the other thing to look at is the strokes gained, the difference between the top options down to the middle of list is such that it would take multiple rounds before gaining a full stroke. 

The winner is us, they are all good. 

Launch angle is the same.  Well, not technically the same but .04 of a degree isn't measurable.

My bag is a revolving door!

Just now, jddaigneault said:

Seemed like you were hitting the Speedzone quite well during the CCC4, I’d hope it’s hard to beat. Less money spent on drivers means more rounds of golf!

Thanks, and Bingo!  I had gained some distance moving away from the G30 into the M5, and with the Speedzone I'm in all the same places as I was with that.  I had some really long bombs with the speedzone too.  I also have it set to be closed and the weight back, so there's room for me to make it lower launching and spinning if that becomes an issue.  

The Speedzone gives me a low range of 252 and a high of 281.  My longest was a firm fairway double bounce 325 and my dispersion is 19 yards.  That last point is what I love over the M5 which I want to say was in the mid 20's for dispersion.  Good shots are just as long, and my longest has come with the Speedzone.  I'm hoping to bump up the accuracy a bit with the Ventus in there, which would mean its pretty safe in the bag for a while.  The itch of playing around with new stuff is hard to resist, but I think the speedzone is a really good fit for my game.

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

I remain so upset that I traded in my G400 LST which was better for me than the G410 plus

Oh well - this was a great test - does anyone know if the tru-fit process has been updated to include this data yet?  

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

2 minutes ago, B.Boston said:

Thanks, and Bingo!  I had gained some distance moving away from the G30 into the M5, and with the Speedzone I'm in all the same places as I was with that.  I had some really long bombs with the speedzone too.  I also have it set to be closed and the weight back, so there's room for me to make it lower launching and spinning if that becomes an issue.  

The Speedzone gives me a low range of 252 and a high of 281.  My longest was a firm fairway double bounce 325 and my dispersion is 19 yards.  That last point is what I love over the M5 which I want to say was in the mid 20's for dispersion.  Good shots are just as long, and my longest has come with the Speedzone.  I'm hoping to bump up the accuracy a bit with the Ventus in there, which would mean its pretty safe in the bag for a while.  The itch of playing around with new stuff is hard to resist, but I think the speedzone is a really good fit for my game.

I hate that itch. 

...but boy does it feel good to scratch...

Taylormade M5 Driver

Cobra F9 3 Wood

Srixon ZX5 4-6 Iron

Srixon ZX7 7-PW

Interesting results. I am not too surprised.. I wish there was a way to do this blind and with now brand influence. I know that is not possible but I would be curious to see if not know who made a club made a difference. I bet it would.. 

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple diamond 10.5 Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood ; Callaway Paradym triple diamond 15 degree, Ventus black TR 7x

Apex UW 19 degree, Ventus black TR 8x

Utility Iron: Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility, Ventus blue HB 90X

Irons: Callaway Apex MB 5-PW, KBS $ taper 130x

Wedges: Callaway Jaws Raw 50, 54, 58, KBS $ taper 130x

Putter: Wilson Staff TM22, hand torched, KBS cutter putter shaft, Super stroke Pistol GT 1.0

The results were surprising to me. I would have expected Callaway to have the longest driver, but not strokes gained. Not saying they don't make phenomenal drivers, I have the Epic Flash Sub Zero and it performs. Just that I thought there might have been a trade-off for the distance. 

I would have expected the Ping to be at or near the top and it was crazy to see where it ended up. 

2 hours ago, revkev said:

Oh well - this was a great test - does anyone know if the tru-fit process has been updated to include this data yet?  

I think I read somewhere that they are still working on loading that data. 

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Shocked to see the Honma as the most forgiving!!! Wow! Not discounting it, but that means it beat the G425 Max which is surprising!!!

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

1 hour ago, sirchunksalot said:

The results were surprising to me. I would have expected Callaway to have the longest driver, but not strokes gained. Not saying they don't make phenomenal drivers, I have the Epic Flash Sub Zero and it performs. Just that I thought there might have been a trade-off for the distance. 

I would have expected the Ping to be at or near the top and it was crazy to see where it ended up. 

Same here! Shocked at Callaway winning strokes gained!

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

I just got the PXG 0211 9.0 w/ Diamana S+ 70X and I have to say I am really happy with it so far. It's goes straight and far. I hit it about as far as my old gamer Cleveland Classic Custom, but it's more forgiving. Definitely a great value if you are in the market. Hard to beat at $270ish out the door. 

Driver - PXG 0211 9.0 - MCA Diamana S+ 70X

3Wood -     :755178188_TourEdge:  E8 Tour 14 @ 12 - MCA Diamana D+ 80X

Hybrids - :adams-small: Pro 18 - Tour Red

Irons - Maxfli Revolution Midsize - Dynalite Gold S300G

Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 4 52M, 56F, 60XL - S400

Putter - :ping-small: Sigma G Tess

Ball - Maxfli CG Tour-X

Surprised to not hear much about Mizuno in the podcast... what do you guys think was the reasoning for this? I was hoping to get a bit of detail as to why it ranked pretty middle of the pack to low, after the initial podcasts when they were first announced. 

Great to see the 410LST hold its own. It's exactly what I have seen in testing the 2021 drivers against my LST.  Nothing can beat it because it is properly fit. 

Same here: I have zero desire to even try another driver.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Driver - Cobra LtDxLS

3 Wood - Ping g410 LST

2iron - Titleist U505

Irons - Ping i59

Wedges - Vokey Sm9

Putter - Mizuno Mcraft IV

I really love this and all of MGS tests. I like the fact they give comparable data for us to overanalyze and it just makes it more transparent.

I think a great addition would be some tester profiles so you can find a comparable tester to yourself and see what fit them best. A tally of what was the best results per tester doesn't always equal the best on average.  

Driver:  Ben Hogan GS53
4W:  Maltby KE4 
2i: Maltby KE4 FDI 
4-PW:  Maltby TS-1 - C-Taper 120g 
50,54,58: Maltby TSW

Putter:  L.A.B. DF2.1 Accra Shaft 2023 Forum Testers - L.A.B. Putters
Ball: Mixed prefer ProV1 or Snell
Handicap: 9.2  -  Best Score: 72 (E) Springdale CC, Canton NC -2022

2020 Forum Tester - Ben Hogan GS53 Driver

On 2/22/2021 at 1:54 PM, MGoBlue100 said:

I bought the Gen 2 0811 XF.  The weather has been so crappy here that I've only got one range and one 18 hole session in with it, and the weather stunk both of those times as well.  The forgiveness is definitely there, just need to know for sure if the distance is palatable, and I haven't been able to play yet where I can really tell.  Weather looking to break here in SC this wee, optimistic to get out twice, maybe.  Maybe...???

Took the clubs for a quick spin today!  Windy, but at least warm (mid 60's!!).  PXG driver is all that!  Super forgiving, and I was hitting it consistently 258 - 262 which is good for me, especially since I hadn't swung any club in weeks.  I didn't hit every fairway, but I hit the ball where I aimed it with the driver.  (Should have aimed down the middle on a couple doglegs, LOLZ!)  This looks like it's staying in the bag for this season!  #PXGTroops 

"Where'd it go?"  "Right in the Lumberyard..."

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2  0811 XF 10.5*  Graphite Design Tour AD DI-6x

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2 0211 15* 3W Mitsubishi Tensei Raw Blue 65-S
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 15*   Fairway UST ProForce V2 7F5 76g X-Flex

(These two are gonna fight it out in early "24 to see who stays in the bag...)

:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 19* & 22* Hybrid UST ProForce V2 90g X-Flex
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR HF-2 irons (5i - PW)  KBS Tour 130x

:cleveland-small: CBX Wedges (50, 54, 58)  TT Dynamic Gold 115 Wedge Shaft
MATI  Mamo Putter 33"  Super Stroke Football League 3.0 Slim
MX21TOURYLW_NOCOLOR_FRT.jpg.79e37b9c329b3d3a644cb61d2746a057.jpg

:ping-small: Hoofer Camo Stand Bag

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro Nexus Rangefinder

:PuttOut:FAN!

1711524086_TheGrintlogo_text_1.png.c1eb3f656b10191d1fc9a14a0fd77f95.png PRO Member

I'm suprised to see that the G425 didn't score better with testers, it seems that various online reviews have rated it very highly and touted as a " fairway finder"

Titleist ProV1

14 hours ago, RollingGreens said:

I'm suprised to see that the G425 didn't score better with testers, it seems that various online reviews have rated it very highly and touted as a " fairway finder"

I totally agree. Everything I read had me convinced it would be top of the heap again. From my perspective, the Callaway came from out of left field to get the Most Wanted this year.

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSR2 Project X HZRDUS Black 5.5
Fairway: :callaway-small: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

52 minutes ago, MattF said:

I totally agree. Everything I read had me convinced it would be top of the heap again. From my perspective, the Callaway came from out of left field to get the Most Wanted this year.

Especially with it being a forgiving low spin model.   I will want to give the G425 max and the epic max ls a good test during demo day this summer

Titleist ProV1

15 hours ago, RollingGreens said:

Same here, 1 inch shorter shaft than some other driver out there the ping didn't seem to find the fairway as much as I could have expected. Lets be honest for me it won't change anything cause I'm coming back to golf after 10 years and I was a big slicer, now I still have a manageable slice and best option for me at the moment is the PING SFT, will try the cobra Xtreme Draw too but I doubt it will offer the same result as ping. The raw data put the Ping SFT way ahead of other brand in term of slice killer. A friend of mine hit the sim2 and ping g425 max on a fitting day and ping was better for him in general, better number out there with some almost perfect drive. The data seems to be accurate so far, since the sim2 did not very well on the testing here also. WIll have him try the cobra radspeed for sure and the callaway, especially the cobra cause the pricetag is lower...

1 minute ago, pouetvl said:

Same here, 1 inch shorter shaft than some other driver out there the ping didn't seem to find the fairway as much as I could have expected. Lets be honest for me it won't change anything cause I'm coming back to golf after 10 years and I was a big slicer, now I still have a manageable slice and best option for me at the moment is the PING SFT, will try the cobra Xtreme Draw too but I doubt it will offer the same result as ping. The raw data put the Ping SFT way ahead of other brand in term of slice killer. A friend of mine hit the sim2 and ping g425 max on a fitting day and ping was better for him in general, better number out there with some almost perfect drive. The data seems to be accurate so far, since the sim2 did not very well on the testing here also. WIll have him try the cobra radspeed for sure and the callaway, especially the cobra cause the pricetag is lower...

If you have anything to trade in callaway can use that as a trade in credit to offset cost. Still is more expensive in the long run but if it’s the driver that fits you go with what works

Titleist ProV1