TESTERS WANTED! ×

2021 Most Wanted-Driver

Golfspy_CG2

Most Wanted Driver  

537 members have voted

1. 1. What was the most surprising result from the 2021 Most Wanted Driver results?

• PXG being the best value
    • PING G425 not finishing in the top 3
    • TaylorMade SIM2 in the middle of the pack
    • Two top-5 places for Cobra

I in no way discount the MGS driver testing- it is in its own league and head and shoulders above all other tests. I could conclude that Ping G425 max is one of the most accurate drivers only because MGS makes the raw data readily available. Big kudos to MGS and all the testers. From the raw data, many other interesting analysis can be done - this may not be for the general public but for golf enthusiasts it’s a gold mine . 

2 hours ago, Golf student 2 said:

I in no way discount the MGS driver testing- it is in its own league and head and shoulders above all other tests. I could conclude that Ping G425 max is one of the most accurate drivers only because MGS makes the raw data readily available. Big kudos to MGS and all the testers. From the raw data, many other interesting analysis can be done - this may not be for the general public but for golf enthusiasts it’s a gold mine . 

Wasn't implying that you were discounting the testing.   By looking at the data can you conclude that it would be the most accurate driver for me if I went and got fit for several drivers?   What if I wanted to favor distance over accuracy?

I can tell you that pretty much all clubs in the marketplace are good products and if properly fit will perform well.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Why are people saying the g425 is draw biased? I saw the data above, but are others who have tried it seeing the same thing? I hit a draw, but I’m not noticing that draw coming out even more with the g425 (although I did also move it to a flat setting). 

In my experience if all other things are equal, (for right handers) a flat setting promotes a ball flight more to the right rather than a fade shot shape.  If you tend to hit a draw and the ball starts on line with the target or a little left of target a flatter lie angle should move the start line to the right but the draw shot shape would still be there getting the ball to land closer to the target.

Modern Bag:  :ping-small: G410 LST 10.5*, Hzrdus Smoke RDX 6.5 Flex;   :titelist-small:  915F 3w, Diamana S+ 70 S flex;  Snake Eyes 18* 2h, 23* 4h & 27* 5h; :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 6 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Edison 2.0 49*, 53*, 57* KBS Tour 120 S;   :ping-small:  Heppler Fetch;  Ball - :Snell: MTB-X; Bag - Jones MyGolfSpy Edition! 

Shot Scope H4, MG600 Rangefinder

Classic Bag:  Driver - :wilson_staff_small: Persimmon; 3w - :Hogan: Speed Slot; 5w - :wilson_staff_small: Tour Block; 3 - pw - :wilson_staff_small: Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

On 2/22/2021 at 12:32 PM, MattF said:

I was surprised at the winner because the Callaway Epic that I tested earlier this month was 2nd to last on my list, just above the Cleveland BB21. Happy to see the Titleist TSi2 was second place because that was my 1st place.

What shaft did you go with for the TSi2?

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 Plus 9deg Kai' li Red

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 13deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 15deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 4-PW Nippon Modus 120s

:vokey-small: SM8 54 and 58deg Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex

:titleist-small: Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Titleist ProV1

:ping-small: Hoofer Stand Bag

Stewart Q Follow Electric Caddie

:callaway-small: 300 PRO Rangefinder

Official Nippon Regio B+ Driver Shaft Review

Official Stewart Q Follow Review

1 minute ago, RollingGreens said:

What shaft did you go with for the TSi2?

HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 6.0

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSR2 Project X HZRDUS Black 5.5
Fairway: :callaway-small: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

1 minute ago, MattF said:

HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 6.0

Were you able to try either of the tensei raw options? I am getting fit once springs rolls around. Does the RDX have better feel to it or still kind of boardy? I saw that the overall torque have decrease to being slightly higher. If you didn’t have previous hzrdus versions no big deal I was just curious

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 Plus 9deg Kai' li Red

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 13deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 15deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 4-PW Nippon Modus 120s

:vokey-small: SM8 54 and 58deg Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex

:titleist-small: Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Titleist ProV1

:ping-small: Hoofer Stand Bag

Stewart Q Follow Electric Caddie

:callaway-small: 300 PRO Rangefinder

Official Nippon Regio B+ Driver Shaft Review

Official Stewart Q Follow Review

9 hours ago, ELEL13 said:

Why are people saying the g425 is draw biased? I saw the data above, but are others who have tried it seeing the same thing? I hit a draw, but I’m not noticing that draw coming out even more with the g425 (although I did also move it to a flat setting). 

Which G425 model?  The SFT is listed as draw biased.    Also,  draw bias doesn't mean you will hit a draw,  it means that players will have a tendency to straighten a left to right ball flight.  Basically your dispersion pattern will be more to the left. 

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

1 hour ago, RollingGreens said:

Were you able to try either of the tensei raw options? I am getting fit once springs rolls around. Does the RDX have better feel to it or still kind of boardy? I saw that the overall torque have decrease to being slightly higher. If you didn’t have previous hzrdus versions no big deal I was just curious

I played hzrdus yellow last year and hated how boardy it felt, but I had a chance to hit the rdx yesterday and really enjoyed it. I definitely felt that I could load it a lot easier than previous hzrdus shafts

I going to order the PXG driver next week, I’ll let you know how it does

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

:callaway-small: XR Driver Matrix Ozik 8m3 Black Tie Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

PXG 0211 DC 5-PW Mitsubishi MMT 80 Shafts

:cleveland-small: RTX ZIPCORE 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 2.0 grip

:Snell: MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

22 hours ago, RollingGreens said:

21 hours ago, Tpoole22 said:

I played hzrdus yellow last year and hated how boardy it felt, but I had a chance to hit the rdx yesterday and really enjoyed it. I definitely felt that I could load it a lot easier than previous hzrdus shafts

@RollingGreens See what @Tpoole22 said. I didn't hit the Tensei at all. Cliff put me into the RDX straight off the bat. I hit the HZRDUS Black last year and the RDX is absolutely nothing like that at all. The Black felt like rebar and the RDX is more like an EvenFlow to me.

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSR2 Project X HZRDUS Black 5.5
Fairway: :callaway-small: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

So I was able to hit the ping 425, sim 2, and epic max ls this week and I was frankly not impressed. I game the SZ with tensi orange shaft currently and none of these came close to matching the feel and the performance was all meh to me. The sim 2 was the best feeling driver for me and it had the best number of the bunch, but still none were better than what I got. My fitter even threw in a Mavrik to try and I thought that was better than the ls. My point is... kinda to the same as what the MGS authors, year to year there is not enough change to justify spending $500 on the latest model. Also the RDX still felt like a board to me, but I have a super smooth transition so the Hazrdus line up is just not for me I guess!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Ping G430 Max 9* turned up to 10* in draw setting X-Stiff Ping Tour Chrome 2.0 60

Srixon ZX 3w Ventus Velocore Blue 7s

Ping G425 5w X-Stiff Ping Tour 70 

Srixon ZX5 4-6 Modus Tour 105 Stiff 

Srixon ZX& 7-PW  Modus Tour 105 Stiff 

:cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore 50* 54* 58* TrueTemper Dynamic Gold Spinner

See the source image Phantom X5 Putter

Ball: Srixon Z-Star Diamond <>

21 hours ago, twyatt700 said:

So I was able to hit the ping 425, sim 2, and epic max ls this week and I was frankly not impressed. I game the SZ with tensi orange shaft currently and none of these came close to matching the feel and the performance was all meh to me. The sim 2 was the best feeling driver for me and it had the best number of the bunch, but still none were better than what I got. My fitter even threw in a Mavrik to try and I thought that was better than the ls. My point is... kinda to the same as what the MGS authors, year to year there is not enough change to justify spending $500 on the latest model. Also the RDX still felt like a board to me, but I have a super smooth transition so the Hazrdus line up is just not for me I guess!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

If its no better performance than what you are gaming and (most important to me) if the feel isn't as good I'd stick with the gamer.  I hit a G10 w/ a ProLaunch Red for about 10 years before switching to the G410 last year.  Every couple years I'd get the itch to try something else but nothing beat the feel, workability and distance of the G10.  

Modern Bag:  :ping-small: G410 LST 10.5*, Hzrdus Smoke RDX 6.5 Flex;   :titelist-small:  915F 3w, Diamana S+ 70 S flex;  Snake Eyes 18* 2h, 23* 4h & 27* 5h; :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 6 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Edison 2.0 49*, 53*, 57* KBS Tour 120 S;   :ping-small:  Heppler Fetch;  Ball - :Snell: MTB-X; Bag - Jones MyGolfSpy Edition! 

Shot Scope H4, MG600 Rangefinder

Classic Bag:  Driver - :wilson_staff_small: Persimmon; 3w - :Hogan: Speed Slot; 5w - :wilson_staff_small: Tour Block; 3 - pw - :wilson_staff_small: Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

On 2/22/2021 at 7:21 PM, PMookie said:

Shocked to see the Honma as the most forgiving!!! Wow! Not discounting it, but that means it beat the G425 Max which is surprising!!!

Just wait till their wedges come out. 

Driver: :titelist-small: TSI3 - 10*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus - 10.5*, Oban Kiyoshi Purple O4Flex-65 Grams Purred
3 Wood: :taylormade-small: SIM - 15*, Graphite Design Tour AD DJ5 Stiff
Hybrid: :titelist-small: TS3 - 19*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff
Irons: :titelist-small:  5 - PW T150, with Nippon Zelos 7 Reg, 4 iron - U505 with Project X HZRDUS Black Stiff

Wedges: :titelist-small: Vokey SM 8 - 50*, 60* Standard Wedge Shafts

Wedge: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 MG3 56* S200 shaft

Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Studio Select Newport 1.5        
Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Phantom X 5.5
Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1x

On 3/15/2021 at 1:00 PM, Golfspy_CG2 said:

Would love to hear your more detailed thoughts on this for your 2ND post on the site.

One post or a thousand doesn't matter.

Flawed research because your data can't be replicated.  You could take another 100 testers and get completely different results, that is why it is flawed.  If you took a mechanical arm, the data can be replicated.  However, the entire premise of coming up with a #1 is without a doubt flawed if you look at statistical and science research data.  The biggest flaw in any test you have is putters.  Honestly, that research is a complete joke.

5 minutes ago, heavy_hitter said:

One post or a thousand doesn't matter.

Flawed research because your data can't be replicated.  You could take another 100 testers and get completely different results, that is why it is flawed.  If you took a mechanical arm, the data can be replicated.  However, the entire premise of coming up with a #1 is without a doubt flawed if you look at statistical and science research data.  The biggest flaw in any test you have is putters.  Honestly, that research is a complete joke.

Yeah, just very odd, that someone takes the time to sign up for an account to make one post that is so opinionated.  But hey that's what the forum is for.

BTW, flawed is not accurate, just ask any R&D guy at most of the OEM's and they will all tell you that human testing vs robot testing for clubs is the preferred method as it replicates real life results.

Not here to argue, as you certainly have your agenda.  So carry on, and tell everyone at THP hello for us 🙂

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

Yeah, just very odd, that someone takes the time to sign up for an account to make one post that is so opinionated.  But hey that's what the forum is for.
BTW, flawed is not accurate, just ask any R&D guy at most of the OEM's and they will all tell you that human testing vs robot testing for clubs is the preferred method as it replicates real life results.
Not here to argue, as you certainly have your agenda.  So carry on, and tell everyone at THP hello for us

I personally prefer the who paid me the most money methodology followed closely by the best marketing campaign.

Well if ya have two coon hounds and one barks at the wrong tree and you have another one who makes a positive, then there is no doubt which is the better of the two hounds. No science in that, no sir. 

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

27 minutes ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

Not here to argue, as you certainly have your agenda.  So carry on, and tell everyone at THP hello for us 🙂

LMAO....  THP?  I haven't logged in to THP for years.

I have no agenda.  Just the testing is flawed.  I actually enjoy the insights on a lot of what is published.  That doesn't mean that your testing, especially the putter testing, isn't flawed because it is.  Flawed is completely accurate.

If you kept it to only the break down of High, Moderate, and Low Swing Speeds only, while still flawed, would be more common to agree with your assessments.  However, naming one driver as the best is flawed as is your strokes gained category.

LMAO....  THP?  I haven't logged in to THP for years.
I have no agenda.  Just the testing is flawed.  I actually enjoy the insights on a lot of what is published.  That doesn't mean that your testing, especially the putter testing, isn't flawed because it is.  Flawed is completely accurate.
If you kept it to only the break down of High, Moderate, and Low Swing Speeds only, while still flawed, would be more common to agree with your assessments.  However, naming one driver as the best is flawed as is your strokes gained category.

Out of curiosity, can you provide you educational and professional background related to this field? Or is this your opinion that the testing is flawed?

I don’t claim that the testing is perfect and has areas for improvement but the captured data accurately reflects the off the rack clubs that best fit the widest range of golfers. There is no claim that the winner is the best fit for every golfer.

41 minutes ago, Apolloshowl said:

Just curious do you also feel the data and results coming from somewhere like TXG is also non valid because its a human doing the testing? 

Sorry dog... Matty is most certainly NOT human. 😂

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

16 minutes ago, B.Boston said:

Sorry dog... Matty is most certainly NOT human. 😂

True, but they are a bit more picky with with their shots and Ian/him know his swing so well it's scary. 

Also realizing the poor english used in my post, but not about to go change it. Computer is set up for german and would take too long to go back through... Think the just of my point is made.

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

1 minute ago, Apolloshowl said:

True, but they are a bit more picky with with their shots and Ian/him know his swing so well it's scary. 

Also realizing the poor english used in my post, but not about to go change it. Computer is set up for german and would take too long to go back through... Think the just of my point is made.

Absolutely. I know they even state they try to select shot to make sure the strikes are “good” and “comparable” it’s just his “good” and mine are two totally different things! haha

that being said, I throughly enjoy their reviews and “tests” even if it really shows how close all the products can be when properly fitted. 

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

46 minutes ago, cnosil said:

Out of curiosity, can you provide you educational and professional background related to this field? Or is this your opinion that the testing is flawed?

I don’t claim that the testing is perfect and has areas for improvement but the captured data accurately reflects the off the rack clubs that best fit the widest range of golfers. There is no claim that the winner is the best fit for every golfer.

Business analytics.  The methodology and collection of the data is flawed. 

A person that reads MGS is not purchasing an off the rack Driver and shaft unless fitted for it.

14 minutes ago, heavy_hitter said:

Business analytics.  The methodology and collection of the data is flawed. 

A person that reads MGS is not purchasing an off the rack Driver and shaft unless fitted for it.

See. This is where you wrong. The average MGS forum member? You’re right, they’re probably getting fitted

However, the MGS blog (articles, most wanted testing results) is read by a far larger population of golfers and 99.999% of those readers don’t post on the MGS forums. 

Those readers ARE buying stock options off the shelf with limited or no fittings

Those are the people who can benefit most from the MGS testing articles 

I bought an off-the-rack hybrid and off-the-rack wedge last year and I've posted 1150+ times in this forum.

See. This is where you wrong. The average MGS forum member? You’re right, they’re probably getting fitted
However, the MGS blog (articles, most wanted testing results) is read by a far larger population of golfers and 99.999% of those readers don’t post on the MGS forums. 
Those readers ARE buying stock options off the shelf with limited or no fittings
Those are the people who can benefit most from the MGS testing articles 

Sent from my Pixel 2 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

DRIVER PXG 0811XF GEN4 (10.5°)

FAIRWAY WOODS PXG 0341XF GEN4 (16°)

HYBRIDS PXG 0317XF GEN4 (19°), PXG 0317X GEN4 (22°)

IRONS PXG 0311T GEN3 (5 - 9)

WEDGES TAYLORMADE MG3 (45°, 50°, 55° TW Grind, 60° TW Grind)

PUTTER PXG BATTLE READY ONE & DONE