Most Wanted Driver  

377 members have voted

1. 1. What was the most surprising result from the 2021 Most Wanted Driver results?

• PXG being the best value
    • PING G425 not finishing in the top 3
    • TaylorMade SIM2 in the middle of the pack
    • Two top-5 places for Cobra

Our Sponsors

26 minutes ago, bens197 said:

Thanks MGS, you just saved me $900.

$900!!!  Where are you buying your drivers?!   I understand with upgraded shafts, but even then you should be able to get everything for around $750 unless you bring autoflex into the fold.  Or you are buying club champion directly?

• Like 6
  • Hmmm 1

Driver:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngMavrik Sub Zero 9* (Set to 10) Ventus Blue 6X

2 Hybrid: :titelist-small: 818 H2 Hybrid Tensei Blue 80 X

3 Hybrid: :titelist-small: 818H2 Fujikura Atmos TS Blue 8X

4 Iron - Srixon ZX 23* Recoil F5

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: MP 18 SC Dynamic Gold AMT X

Gap/Sand Wedge:  :titelist-small: Vokey SM6 49*  SM8 54* 

Lob Wedge:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngJaws 5 Wedge 58* DG Tour Issue Stiff

Putter:  image.png.cca2328f4144a299c795aa9b8f3bf677.png Inovai 6.0              :scotty-small: Pro Platinum Newport 2 35"  

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Who would ever think that someone would say best value and PXG in the same sentence.

...all of the conspiracy theorists are going to be upset that a Ping club isn't somewhere in the list. LOL

And can't wait to hear the Callaway loyalist who scream MGS has a bias against them..ha

Posted Images

This definitely changes my thought process going into the fitting. I was thinking that G425 Max and RadSpeed XB were my top 2. The Ping is definitely lower now and I'm going to need to try both the Callaway Max and Max LS as well as TSI2. I was always low on SIM2 Max due to lack of adjustability, and nothing in the data changes that. At the end of the day numbers in the fitting will direct me towards the best club, but this changes my perception of them going in.

• Like 4
3 minutes ago, juspoole said:

$900!!!  Where are you buying your drivers?!   I understand with upgraded shafts, but even then you should be able to get everything for around $750 unless you bring autoflex into the fold.  Or you are buying club champion directly?

Gotta figure cost for fitting, tax and freight. Worst case that was my top number. 

• Like 6
  • PING G400 LST 8.5 Evenflow Black 65g 6.5
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Diamana FW 75 X
  • Mizuno HMB MP20 3i Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Ben Hogan PTx Combo Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • TaylorMade MG2 TW 56 & 60 Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Scotty Cameron Phantom X 11.5
  • TaylorMade TP5

Western, NY

5.7 Index

Very interesting results, but not all to surprising.  Though I will say like so many others not seeing PING up there at the top section was a bit of a head scratcher. 

• Like 2

BNewt51

:taylormade-small:  9* Sim  Hzrdus Smoke "Yellow" Handcrafted 6.5  (Best borrow I've ever made from a buddy)

:callaway-small:Epic Flash - 14* 3-wood Mitsubishi Tensei Blue X-stiff

:titelist-small: TSI2 19* Hybrid Tensei Blue X-Stiff

:taylormade-small: -P770 4-PW KBS C-Taper 120 S 

:taylormade-small: - 50* , 54* and 58* MG2 Wedges  Dynamic Gold Tour S200

:scotty-cameron-1: - Tour Select Square Back

:taylormade-small: - Taylormade Flextech Bag (Blue and Grey)

:taylormade-small: - TP5 and TP5 Pix 

Bushnell Tour V-4 - Non-Slope edition 🙁

*King of taking (borrowing) all my club ***** friends clubs after they've discarded them after a couple months! 🤣

I think this test is interesting. I wouldn't recommend crossing out any drivers just because a brand wasn't in the top 10 (Ping). The numbers are probably all really close and you might find that driver #20 gives you the optimum spin and flight to maximize distance and forgiveness. If this test shows anything, it's that price point may not necessarily drive performance. I'll would be curious to see the data and how close all these drivers actually are. For all we know the top 10 drivers could be within a yard of each other distance wise. 

• Like 6

I'm looking at it as Ping has been ahead of most other companies and they are now only starting to bridge that gap with technology.  Definitely surprised at results, especially after watching and reading so many reviews.  

Assumed Titleist would be up there, but still can't believe how well the G410 did with the new crop.  Just goes to show how important fitting is to the fold.  My MavRik sub zero has been incredibly forgiving for me and compared to other drivers in the test last year, was a weakness. 

• Like 6

Driver:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngMavrik Sub Zero 9* (Set to 10) Ventus Blue 6X

2 Hybrid: :titelist-small: 818 H2 Hybrid Tensei Blue 80 X

3 Hybrid: :titelist-small: 818H2 Fujikura Atmos TS Blue 8X

4 Iron - Srixon ZX 23* Recoil F5

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: MP 18 SC Dynamic Gold AMT X

Gap/Sand Wedge:  :titelist-small: Vokey SM6 49*  SM8 54* 

Lob Wedge:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngJaws 5 Wedge 58* DG Tour Issue Stiff

Putter:  image.png.cca2328f4144a299c795aa9b8f3bf677.png Inovai 6.0              :scotty-small: Pro Platinum Newport 2 35"  

I was surprised at the winner because the Callaway Epic that I tested earlier this month was 2nd to last on my list, just above the Cleveland BB21. Happy to see the Titleist TSi2 was second place because that was my 1st place.

• Like 8

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSi2 Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 6.0
Fairway: :Sub70: 939X 15° Project X Even Flow Blue 6.0
Hybrid: :Sub70: 939X 3 Hybrid Project X Even Flow Riptide 6.0
Irons: :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged 4-GW Project X Catalyst 80 6.0
Wedge: :cleveland-small: Smartsole S
Putter :yes-small: Tracy
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls::Snell: MTB-X or Black

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the Queen🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

Alrighty, I'm going to be the first to be "that guy" that dives too deep into the data.  Comparing the PXG 0211 with the Callaway Epic Max LS.  The numbers are statistically identical but the Callaway has just shy of 6 yards carry over the PXG.  How??  🧐

A .38MPH difference in ball speed can't equal 6 yards.  It doesn't make any difference in the real world but on a chart it puts Callaway at the top and the PXG waaaaay down the list.

PXG 0211:  BS - 138.19, Launch - 13.55, Spin - 2,356, Carry - 224.76

Callaway Epic Max LS:  BS - 138.57, Launch - 13.51, Spin 2,349, Carry - 230.55

• Like 4
  • Hmmm 2

My bag is a revolving door!

14 minutes ago, 03trdblack said:

Alrighty, I'm going to be the first to be "that guy" that dives too deep into the data.  Comparing the PXG 0211 with the Callaway Epic Max LS.  The numbers are statistically identical but the Callaway has just shy of 6 yards carry over the PXG.  How??  🧐

A .38MPH difference in ball speed can't equal 6 yards.  It doesn't make any difference in the real world but on a chart it puts Callaway at the top and the PXG waaaaay down the list.

Great, i was going to eat lunch but this caught my attention and now I'm trying to figure this out as well. Mean vs Median maybe? Someone help us figure this out! 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1
  • :taylormade-small: SIM 10.5* w/ Kyoshi Black 65X tipped 1/2" 
  • :cobra-small: F7+ 3W 14.5* w/ Hzrdus Black 75 6.5
  • :srixon-small: ZX Utility 18* w/ Project X 6.5
  • :callaway-small: X Forged 21* w/ Dynamic Gold X100
  • :mizuno-small: 921 SEL 5-PW w/ Dynamic Gold X100
  • :ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth 50*, 54* & 58* w/ AWT 2.0 
  • Toulon Vegas H7 w/ SS Flatso 2.0r
  • '20 :bridgestone-small: Tour B X
  • I'm left-handed so I don't go broke buying all new clubs every week. 
58 minutes ago, 03trdblack said:

You’d need to see other metrics like standard deviation to really know where the six yard difference came from. It could be the center of the face for pxg is really hot where the periphery isn’t, so they had a couple bombs but a lot of clunkers. Callaway might be more stable across the face, so ball speed numbers are more consistent resulting in more consistent distances. 

• Like 6

P790s/M5 Driver/F9 3wood/F9 hybrid/MG2 wedges/Ardmore putter

40 minutes ago, FrogginBullfish said:

Those are the averages of each individual metric from every shot hit with those clubs. It's not really a useful means of comparing the two as the averages don't tell you enough about the actual data sets. You would need to examine the Callaway and PXG statistics with the dispersion pattern to get a fuller picture. Based on a quick glance, the PXG has ranges from 160-320 yards whereas Callaway was 170-310. The Callaway also only had one ball at 175 or below whereas the PXG had 9.

The rankings are made through the strokes gained analysis, but MGS includes the averages table cause people always complain when they don't.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Bingo.  Which is why standard deviations would be great to see

• Like 6

In my :mizuno-small: BR-D4 Stand Bag

:ping-small: G410 LST 9* VA Nemesys 65X
:ping-small: G410 LST 14.5* Tour AD DI 7X
:titelist-small: 818 H2 20* Tour AD DI 85X
:mizuno-small: MP20 HMB 4 Tour AD 95X
:mizuno-small: JPX 919 Tour 5-PW Oban CT 115 X(-)
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50F - 54S - 59D
:scotty-small: Phantom X 5.5 (2021)
:titelist-small: ProV1
3 hours ago, StrokerAce said:

the price on that PXG driver - my goodness what a deal. And it looks sharp too. If I was in the market that would be a strong contender.

don't overlook the Tour Edge. That is a solid stick.

I bought the Gen 2 0811 XF.  The weather has been so crappy here that I've only got one range and one 18 hole session in with it, and the weather stunk both of those times as well.  The forgiveness is definitely there, just need to know for sure if the distance is palatable, and I haven't been able to play yet where I can really tell.  Weather looking to break here in SC this wee, optimistic to get out twice, maybe.  Maybe...???

• Like 4

"Where'd it go?"  "Right in the Lumberyard..."

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2  0811 XF 10.5*  Project X HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 60 X-Flex
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 15*   Fairway UST ProForce V2 7F5 76g X-Flex
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 19* & 22* Hybrid UST ProForce V2 90g X-Flex
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR HF-2 irons (5i - PW)  KBS Tour 130x

:cleveland-small: CBX Wedges (50, 54, 58)  TT Dynamic Gold 115 Wedge Shaft
MATI  Mamo Putter 33"  Super Stroke Football League 3.0 Slim
:bridgestone-small: Tour B-RX

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro Nexus Rangefinder

:PuttOut:FAN!

1711524086_TheGrintlogo_text_1.png.c1eb3f656b10191d1fc9a14a0fd77f95.png PRO Member

Can’t wait, glad to see the results. Likely headed for a driver fitting in the next 1-2 months. Probably wouldn’t have looked at callaway epic max ls prior to seeing the results. Still really thinking I am set for the G425 or TSi2

• Like 3

:titelist-small: TS3 9.5 Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.0

:titelist-small: TS3 15.5 3W Fuji Speeder Tour Spec

:titelist-small: 818 H1 19deg Hybrid Fuji Atmos White or King Cobra UT 18.5 with KBS C Taper

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 4-GW Nippon Modus 120s

:vokey-small: SM7 54 and 58deg Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex stiff

:odyssey-small:  Double Wide Stroke Lab 2019 with Super Stroke Tour 3.0

:Snell: MTB-X Golf Ball or Vice Pro Plus

:ping-small: Hoofer Stand Bag

:CaddyTek: V8 3 Wheel Push Cart

Leupod Gx2i3 Rangefinder

4 hours ago, jddaigneault said:

I anxiously await this data as well. 

I actually need both the High and Mid reports... because I'm kind of on the line... Realistically, I hit the Radspeed XB and liked it a lot.  And I'll go try and hit the others too just because they're out there but I'm not thinking anything is going to be measurably different than the Speedzone.  The only thing I can think is that I MIGHT get more ball speed out of a XB or similar if I can go to a 9* head vs the 10.5* head in the Speedzone if spin stays in check.  But I'm usually more of a low launcher and the 10.5 heads fit me better.  Time will tell!

• Like 2

#COBRACONNECT CHALLENGE 4 ALUMNUS

:cobra-small: Speedzone Driver 10.5 - Ventus Blue 6x | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8s | :cobra-small: Speedzone 4-Hybrid - KBS Proto 85s

:cobra-small: KING Forged Tec 5-GW - Nippon Modus 120x | :cobra-small: KING MIM Black 52.12C, 56.10V, 60.04W - Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :Snell: MTB-X | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 HD Slope

#cuetheduckboats

Having just bought a G410 LST last october I was most pleased with this section:

2020 Most Wanted vs 2021 - PING G410 LST

This year, we put our previous year's winner in the field. The PING G410 LST did not disappoint. It finished 7th in Strokes Gained, 7th in Forgiveness, and 6th in Total Distance. We continually see examples of "newer isn't alway better" and the PING G410 LST is another testament to this observation.

---

Looks like no need to upgrade, especially considering if the USGA and R&A start to reduce head size or weight to "combat the distance problem!"

• Like 7

In my :ping-small: Hoofer:

:ping-small: G410 LST 10.5* - Evenflow Black 65 6.0

:ping-small:  Eye 2 Persimmon 3 Wood

:wilson_staff_small:  D7 4-GW, KBS 105

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth 54.12 SS & 58.10 SS

:ping-small:  Zing 2 LW - 60*

:ping-small:  Anser 2

3 hours ago, 03trdblack said:

As with what the other people mentioned below, also need to look at launch angle. I was looking at a couple of them with near identical ball speed and spin numbers, but launch angle explained the difference. 

But the other thing to look at is the strokes gained, the difference between the top options down to the middle of list is such that it would take multiple rounds before gaining a full stroke. 

The winner is us, they are all good. 

• Like 4

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: SIM2 Max 12° - Accra TZ6 M4

FW Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 17.5° - Fujikura Pro

Utility:    :cobra-small: King Forged 20.5° Utility - Catalyst X

Irons:   image.png.cbfb2d938ea45d82004d9bdeb23cf643.pngD7 Forged GW-5i - Recoils

Wedges:   :callaway-small:  Mac Daddy Forged 52° , 56°

Putter:   :taylormade-small: MySpider X

Cart: image.png.5aa5e9b8c0d6e08a2b12be76a06a07ca.pngOnewheel XR+

1 hour ago, B.Boston said:

I actually need both the High and Mid reports... because I'm kind of on the line... Realistically, I hit the Radspeed XB and liked it a lot.  And I'll go try and hit the others too just because they're out there but I'm not thinking anything is going to be measurably different than the Speedzone.  The only thing I can think is that I MIGHT get more ball speed out of a XB or similar if I can go to a 9* head vs the 10.5* head in the Speedzone if spin stays in check.  But I'm usually more of a low launcher and the 10.5 heads fit me better.  Time will tell!

Seemed like you were hitting the Speedzone quite well during the CCC4, I’d hope it’s hard to beat. Less money spent on drivers means more rounds of golf!

• Like 3

P790s/M5 Driver/F9 3wood/F9 hybrid/MG2 wedges/Ardmore putter

7 minutes ago, Thin2win said:

As with what the other people mentioned below, also need to look at launch angle. I was looking at a couple of them with near identical ball speed and spin numbers, but launch angle explained the difference. 

But the other thing to look at is the strokes gained, the difference between the top options down to the middle of list is such that it would take multiple rounds before gaining a full stroke. 

The winner is us, they are all good. 

Launch angle is the same.  Well, not technically the same but .04 of a degree isn't measurable.

• Like 2

My bag is a revolving door!

Just now, jddaigneault said:

Seemed like you were hitting the Speedzone quite well during the CCC4, I’d hope it’s hard to beat. Less money spent on drivers means more rounds of golf!

Thanks, and Bingo!  I had gained some distance moving away from the G30 into the M5, and with the Speedzone I'm in all the same places as I was with that.  I had some really long bombs with the speedzone too.  I also have it set to be closed and the weight back, so there's room for me to make it lower launching and spinning if that becomes an issue.  

The Speedzone gives me a low range of 252 and a high of 281.  My longest was a firm fairway double bounce 325 and my dispersion is 19 yards.  That last point is what I love over the M5 which I want to say was in the mid 20's for dispersion.  Good shots are just as long, and my longest has come with the Speedzone.  I'm hoping to bump up the accuracy a bit with the Ventus in there, which would mean its pretty safe in the bag for a while.  The itch of playing around with new stuff is hard to resist, but I think the speedzone is a really good fit for my game.

• Like 3

#COBRACONNECT CHALLENGE 4 ALUMNUS

:cobra-small: Speedzone Driver 10.5 - Ventus Blue 6x | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8s | :cobra-small: Speedzone 4-Hybrid - KBS Proto 85s

:cobra-small: KING Forged Tec 5-GW - Nippon Modus 120x | :cobra-small: KING MIM Black 52.12C, 56.10V, 60.04W - Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :Snell: MTB-X | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 HD Slope

#cuetheduckboats