Most Wanted Driver  

350 members have voted

1. 1. What was the most surprising result from the 2021 Most Wanted Driver results?

• PXG being the best value
    • PING G425 not finishing in the top 3
    • TaylorMade SIM2 in the middle of the pack
    • Two top-5 places for Cobra

Our Sponsors

I remain so upset that I traded in my G400 LST which was better for me than the G410 plus

Oh well - this was a great test - does anyone know if the tru-fit process has been updated to include this data yet?  

• Like 6

Ping G410 - turned down to11.25 degrees, neutral setting - Fujikura Motore X R flex

Ping G410 5-9 wood

Wilson D7 forged 6-GW -  Mamiya recoil 460 R flex

SCOR 52,60

EVNRoll ER 5

Titleist Pro VIx optic yellow with revkev stamped on them

Currently testing Edison wedges to replace SCORS that are wearing out. Also auditions for the 14th spot in the bag.  Current possibilities are a Ping 26 degree hybrid - duplicates the 9 wood or 5 iron but would be used almost exclusively for chipping or Tour Exotics 3 wood simply because you can carry 14 clubs and I might occasionally hit it in certain unusual wind conditions once every four or five rounds. 

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Who would ever think that someone would say best value and PXG in the same sentence.

...all of the conspiracy theorists are going to be upset that a Ping club isn't somewhere in the list. LOL

And can't wait to hear the Callaway loyalist who scream MGS has a bias against them..ha

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, B.Boston said:

Thanks, and Bingo!  I had gained some distance moving away from the G30 into the M5, and with the Speedzone I'm in all the same places as I was with that.  I had some really long bombs with the speedzone too.  I also have it set to be closed and the weight back, so there's room for me to make it lower launching and spinning if that becomes an issue.  

The Speedzone gives me a low range of 252 and a high of 281.  My longest was a firm fairway double bounce 325 and my dispersion is 19 yards.  That last point is what I love over the M5 which I want to say was in the mid 20's for dispersion.  Good shots are just as long, and my longest has come with the Speedzone.  I'm hoping to bump up the accuracy a bit with the Ventus in there, which would mean its pretty safe in the bag for a while.  The itch of playing around with new stuff is hard to resist, but I think the speedzone is a really good fit for my game.

I hate that itch. 

...but boy does it feel good to scratch...

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

P790s/M5 Driver/F9 3wood/F9 hybrid/MG2 wedges/Ardmore putter

Interesting results. I am not too surprised.. I wish there was a way to do this blind and with now brand influence. I know that is not possible but I would be curious to see if not know who made a club made a difference. I bet it would.. 

• Like 7

Driver: SIM 9 Motore X F1 7X tipped 1 inch

Utility Iron: Cobra King Utility irons 18 degree Aldila rogue 90 X

Irons: Cobra King forged CB 4-PW KBS $ Taper 130 X

Wedges: Cleveland 49,52.58.64

Putter: Kronos Release.

The results were surprising to me. I would have expected Callaway to have the longest driver, but not strokes gained. Not saying they don't make phenomenal drivers, I have the Epic Flash Sub Zero and it performs. Just that I thought there might have been a trade-off for the distance. 

I would have expected the Ping to be at or near the top and it was crazy to see where it ended up. 

• Like 5
2 hours ago, revkev said:

Oh well - this was a great test - does anyone know if the tru-fit process has been updated to include this data yet?  

I think I read somewhere that they are still working on loading that data. 

• Like 5

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
               :titelist-small: 915H 24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :cleveland-small: 588 54-14, 58-12
Putter:  :taylormade-small:TM-180

Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330,   :EVNROLL: ER2.2,  

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

13 minutes ago, cnosil said:

I think I read somewhere that they are still working on loading that data. 

I heard it on the podcast 

• Like 3

My bag is a revolving door!

Shocked to see the Honma as the most forgiving!!! Wow! Not discounting it, but that means it beat the G425 Max which is surprising!!!

• Like 4

Driver: :cobra-small: King F9 Speedback, Xphlexxx Busa 2 Liquid, XX stiff, 45”

Fwy: 

Hybrid: :callaway-small: X2 Hot Pro, 20*, :Fuji: Rombax 8D07HB TM27 X

Irons: :honma:TR20 Tour P 4/5, Tour V 6-10, Dynamic Gold X100

Wedges: Vega VW-06 50*/54*/58*, Dynamic Gold S400

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

1 hour ago, sirchunksalot said:

The results were surprising to me. I would have expected Callaway to have the longest driver, but not strokes gained. Not saying they don't make phenomenal drivers, I have the Epic Flash Sub Zero and it performs. Just that I thought there might have been a trade-off for the distance. 

I would have expected the Ping to be at or near the top and it was crazy to see where it ended up. 

Same here! Shocked at Callaway winning strokes gained!

• Like 3

Driver: :cobra-small: King F9 Speedback, Xphlexxx Busa 2 Liquid, XX stiff, 45”

Fwy: 

Hybrid: :callaway-small: X2 Hot Pro, 20*, :Fuji: Rombax 8D07HB TM27 X

Irons: :honma:TR20 Tour P 4/5, Tour V 6-10, Dynamic Gold X100

Wedges: Vega VW-06 50*/54*/58*, Dynamic Gold S400

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

I just got the PXG 0211 9.0 w/ Diamana S+ 70X and I have to say I am really happy with it so far. It's goes straight and far. I hit it about as far as my old gamer Cleveland Classic Custom, but it's more forgiving. Definitely a great value if you are in the market. Hard to beat at $270ish out the door. 

• Like 2

Driver - PXG 0211 9.0 - MCA Diamana S+ 70X

3Wood -     :755178188_TourEdge:  E8 Tour 14 @ 12 - MCA Diamana D+ 80X

Hybrids - :adams-small: Pro 18 - Tour Red

Irons - Maxfli Revolution Midsize - Dynalite Gold S300G

Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 4 52M, 56F, 60XL - S400

Putter - :ping-small: Sigma G Tess

Ball - Maxfli CG Tour-X

Surprised to not hear much about Mizuno in the podcast... what do you guys think was the reasoning for this? I was hoping to get a bit of detail as to why it ranked pretty middle of the pack to low, after the initial podcasts when they were first announced. 

Great to see the 410LST hold its own. It's exactly what I have seen in testing the 2021 drivers against my LST.  Nothing can beat it because it is properly fit. 

Same here: I have zero desire to even try another driver.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

24CC2B3B-0E46-4165-97D1-F1CA4C5041C8.png

I really love this and all of MGS tests. I like the fact they give comparable data for us to overanalyze and it just makes it more transparent.

I think a great addition would be some tester profiles so you can find a comparable tester to yourself and see what fit them best. A tally of what was the best results per tester doesn't always equal the best on average.  

• Like 2

Driver:  Ben Hogan GS53
3W:  Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead 2
2i: Maltby KE4 FDI 
4-PW:  Maltby TS-1 - C-Taper 120g 
50º: Maltby TSW

56º:  Cleveland RTX-2 
60º: Maltby Tour Grind MG
Putter:  Odyssey White Hot RX 2-ball

Ball: Snell MTB X
Other: Arccos (first year lets see how it goes)
Handicap: 5.9  -  Best Score: 73 (1 over) Bryan Park - Players Course, Greensboro NC -2020

2020 MGS Forum Tester - Ben Hogan GS53 Driver

On 2/22/2021 at 1:54 PM, MGoBlue100 said:

I bought the Gen 2 0811 XF.  The weather has been so crappy here that I've only got one range and one 18 hole session in with it, and the weather stunk both of those times as well.  The forgiveness is definitely there, just need to know for sure if the distance is palatable, and I haven't been able to play yet where I can really tell.  Weather looking to break here in SC this wee, optimistic to get out twice, maybe.  Maybe...???

Took the clubs for a quick spin today!  Windy, but at least warm (mid 60's!!).  PXG driver is all that!  Super forgiving, and I was hitting it consistently 258 - 262 which is good for me, especially since I hadn't swung any club in weeks.  I didn't hit every fairway, but I hit the ball where I aimed it with the driver.  (Should have aimed down the middle on a couple doglegs, LOLZ!)  This looks like it's staying in the bag for this season!  #PXGTroops 

• Like 4

"Where'd it go?"  "Right in the Lumberyard..."

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2  0811 XF 10.5*  Project X HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 60 X-Flex
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 15*   Fairway UST ProForce V2 7F5 76g X-Flex
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 19* & 22* Hybrid UST ProForce V2 90g X-Flex
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR HF-2 irons (5i - PW)  KBS Tour 130x

:cleveland-small: CBX Wedges (50, 54, 58)  TT Dynamic Gold 115 Wedge Shaft
MATI  Mamo Putter 33"  Super Stroke Football League 3.0 Slim
:bridgestone-small: Tour B-RX

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro Nexus Rangefinder

:PuttOut:FAN!

1711524086_TheGrintlogo_text_1.png.c1eb3f656b10191d1fc9a14a0fd77f95.png PRO Member

I'm suprised to see that the G425 didn't score better with testers, it seems that various online reviews have rated it very highly and touted as a " fairway finder"

• Like 2

:titelist-small: TS3 9.5 Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.0

:titelist-small: TS3 15.5 3W Fuji Speeder Tour Spec

:titelist-small: 818 H1 19deg Hybrid Fuji Atmos White or King Cobra UT 18.5 with KBS C Taper

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 4-GW Nippon Modus 120s

:vokey-small: SM7 54 and 58deg Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex stiff

:odyssey-small:  Double Wide Stroke Lab 2019 with Super Stroke Tour 3.0

:Snell: MTB-X Golf Ball or Vice Pro Plus

:ping-small: Hoofer Stand Bag

:CaddyTek: V8 3 Wheel Push Cart

Leupod Gx2i3 Rangefinder

14 hours ago, RollingGreens said:

I'm suprised to see that the G425 didn't score better with testers, it seems that various online reviews have rated it very highly and touted as a " fairway finder"

I totally agree. Everything I read had me convinced it would be top of the heap again. From my perspective, the Callaway came from out of left field to get the Most Wanted this year.

• Like 3

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSi2 Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 6.0
Fairway: :Sub70: 939X 15° Project X Even Flow Blue 6.0
Hybrid: :Sub70: 939X 3 Hybrid Project X Even Flow Riptide 6.0
Irons: :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged 4-GW Project X Catalyst 80 6.0
Wedge: :cleveland-small: Smartsole S
Putter :yes-small: Tracy
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls::Snell: MTB-X or Black

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the Queen🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

52 minutes ago, MattF said:

I totally agree. Everything I read had me convinced it would be top of the heap again. From my perspective, the Callaway came from out of left field to get the Most Wanted this year.

Especially with it being a forgiving low spin model.   I will want to give the G425 max and the epic max ls a good test during demo day this summer

• Like 2

:titelist-small: 818 H1 19deg Hybrid Fuji Atmos White or King Cobra UT 18.5 with KBS C Taper

Leupod Gx2i3 Rangefinder

15 hours ago, RollingGreens said:

Same here, 1 inch shorter shaft than some other driver out there the ping didn't seem to find the fairway as much as I could have expected. Lets be honest for me it won't change anything cause I'm coming back to golf after 10 years and I was a big slicer, now I still have a manageable slice and best option for me at the moment is the PING SFT, will try the cobra Xtreme Draw too but I doubt it will offer the same result as ping. The raw data put the Ping SFT way ahead of other brand in term of slice killer. A friend of mine hit the sim2 and ping g425 max on a fitting day and ping was better for him in general, better number out there with some almost perfect drive. The data seems to be accurate so far, since the sim2 did not very well on the testing here also. WIll have him try the cobra radspeed for sure and the callaway, especially the cobra cause the pricetag is lower...

• Like 1
1 minute ago, pouetvl said:

Same here, 1 inch shorter shaft than some other driver out there the ping didn't seem to find the fairway as much as I could have expected. Lets be honest for me it won't change anything cause I'm coming back to golf after 10 years and I was a big slicer, now I still have a manageable slice and best option for me at the moment is the PING SFT, will try the cobra Xtreme Draw too but I doubt it will offer the same result as ping. The raw data put the Ping SFT way ahead of other brand in term of slice killer. A friend of mine hit the sim2 and ping g425 max on a fitting day and ping was better for him in general, better number out there with some almost perfect drive. The data seems to be accurate so far, since the sim2 did not very well on the testing here also. WIll have him try the cobra radspeed for sure and the callaway, especially the cobra cause the pricetag is lower...

If you have anything to trade in callaway can use that as a trade in credit to offset cost. Still is more expensive in the long run but if it’s the driver that fits you go with what works

• Like 1

Leupod Gx2i3 Rangefinder