Most Wanted Driver  

400 members have voted

1. 1. What was the most surprising result from the 2021 Most Wanted Driver results?

• PXG being the best value
    • PING G425 not finishing in the top 3
    • TaylorMade SIM2 in the middle of the pack
    • Two top-5 places for Cobra

Our Sponsors

Shocked that Ping was dethroned, by itself! 

I had guessed it would be Ping, Cobra, Callaway, Taylormade/Titleist. 

So they've done the past winners' battle.  Is there room for some "are they really better?" tests?  

Imagine even the G400 LST beat out the new Pings?!?!  

• Like 2

:ping-small:        G400 Max, PX Evenflow Blue 6.0s, until the adapter comes loose again in 5 swings. 😢

:cobra-small:  Bio Cell 3/4w, Project X PXV 6.0s

:cobra-small:  AMP 3h 19deg.  Aldila RIP 70 R

:cobra-small:  King Utility 4i, UST Recoil 780 ES SmacWrap S 

:mizuno-small:         JPX 825 Pro forged 5-PW.  TT Dynalite Gold R300

:cleveland-small:      CBX-2 50/11 

:taylormade-small:   ATV 56/16deg 

Putter:            Walter Hagen MS-2 with a nice Wynn grip.   

:Arccos:  Caddie for tracking.     

:bridgestone-small: Tour B-X / RX balls

2019: Tested Golf Pride Tour Velvet Plus 4 grips, Tested Lynx Black Cat 5-PW  

2020: Testing SkyCaddie LX5 Watch 🙂

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Who would ever think that someone would say best value and PXG in the same sentence.

...all of the conspiracy theorists are going to be upset that a Ping club isn't somewhere in the list. LOL

And can't wait to hear the Callaway loyalist who scream MGS has a bias against them..ha

Posted Images

PXG just wow, the value is unbelievable. Hey Honey, I do not need to sell the first born anymore to get a PXG driver.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Cut Draw Giveaways

2020 Bag Boy Chiller Cart Bag Official tester

MGS Hard Rock Challenge

100 swings challenge

MGS Fantasy football league

Unofficial - Cobra SpeedZone Xtreme

Unofficial Review - Honma TR21 4 Wood by xOldBenKenobiX

Work in Progress... Stix Golf - Woods and Putter set unofficial review.

Instagram tagging contest Crew

Driver - :cobra-small: Cobra SpeedZone Xtreme 10.5, UST helium 5

Wood - :honma:TR21 4 Wood, Vizard 20-60 shaft.

Hybrid   :titelist-small:  - T-MB 716 3 Iron, Hybrid   :titelist-small:  - T-MB 718 4 Iron, Irons:   :titelist-small:  - AP1 714 5 to PW, Wedges  

:vokey-small: SM4 48*, Oil Can 52*, SM5 56* and SM6 58*, Putter   :titelist-small: Deadcenter SP-209, Ball   :titelist-small:  ProV1, :Arccos: Smart Sensors

Shoes: a couple :footjoy-small: A couple of:nike-small: A couple of Adidas ,   Yeah I have a shoe addiction.

:SuperSpeed:

Right Handed, Southeast Michigan

Honk If you see these plates around. 

20200728_121856.jpg.9cf8a7d26ca1096e8d390a8c2f59b6c2.jpg

I'm always driving around Michigan. 

The Ohio and Pennsylvania's turnpike as well as around Baltimore, Maryland. 

Grip it and rip it my friends. 

Have a Ping G400 and happy with it. Just boughtva G410 plus, thinking maybe I'll be more happy.

Was at GG yesterdat getting my irons realigned and hit the Epic Max. Wasnt spectacular for me but that was probably the 50g stiff shaft. Didnt feel real solid. Hit a couple 2 yards longer than my G400.

I also hit the Mavrik just because and distance was similar but it felt more solid than the Epic Max.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

On 2/22/2021 at 11:25 AM, bens197 said:

Gotta figure cost for fitting, tax and freight. Worst case that was my top number. 

Many drivers are $550 and upgraded shafts  can be $300+. With upgraded options and taxes you can definitely spend upwards of $900. 

Tom C

Very happy to see the Ping G410 still hanging in there. Totally surprised at PXG being the bargain. I plan to test the Tour Edge Exotics EXS Pro and the PXG 0211. I am curious as to how much difference there was between 1 and 38 in actual yardage. As always a fabulous test.

WITB:

Driver - Callaway BB Alpha 9* Kuro Kage 50g. Reg. Shaft - 45"

3 Wood - Callaway X-Hot 3 Deep Pro 14.5* Project X 5.5

5 Wood - Callaway XR 19* Project X 5.5

3 - 5 Tour Edge Exotics EX9 Hybrids 18*, 22*, & 25* w/ AeroTech i80 SteelFiber Reg. Shaft

6 - PW - Callaway Apex w/ AeroTech i80 SteelFiber Reg. Shaft - Standard length & lofts 

GW, SW & LW - Hogan TK - 49*, 54* & 58* - KBS fst - Wedge flex

Putter - Ping - Mid Ketsch Heavy - 33"

I have owned the PXG 0211 for a month and can personally attest to the forgiveness of the club! Given that like many golfers, I don’t hit the optimum area of the club face every time, I find that with the 0211 my miss hits go straighter and further than last year’s Callaway Mavrik, which results in my overall average being 10 yards further with the 0211. I will take straighter and further all day, especially for a $249 driver! 

• Like 1

Last year I bought a TM Sim Max driver and it was the most amazing driver I've ever hit.  Didn't like any of the Callys, Pings etc. 

I'm surprised TM went with milling the face (Cobra?) instead of the previous method with the goop.  I think they had a winner with that design.

What's In the Bag

TaylorMade Sim Max 10.5° driver w/5.5 Evenflow Riptide shaft & std GolfPride Tour Velvet +4 grip
Tour Edge Exotics ESX 220 3-wood w/reg Fuijikura Air Speeder shaft & std Lamkin Z5 TT grip
Tour Edge ExoticsEXS 220 3-hybrid w/reg KBS 70 shaft & std GolfPride Tour Velvet +4 grip
Titleist AP1 714 irons 5-PW & GW w/reg True Temper XP95 R300 shafts & std GolfPride Tour Velvet +4 grips
Tour Edge Exotics triple grind 60°/7° sand wedge & std TE grip
Cleveland Huntington Beach #1 putter with Winn 1.32" oversize grip
Sun Mountain C-130 Cart Bag

I agree with these results with Titleist finally keeping up with the fastest. Tsi has been amazing and as good as anything out there. 

Driver: TSi3 8 Diamana D+ 70TX

TS3 15.75 Diamana BF 80TX

DI: ZX Utility 18* AD DI 95x 

Irons: 4-pw ZX7 CTaper 130x

Wedges: SM8 50.12 at 51,  SM7 54.08 at 56 and RTX zipcore 60 mid - all KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 135x

Scotty Studio Stainless Newport 2.5 with Stability Shaft

Srixon XV

I'm not all that surprised.  The G425 series I tested offered no real gain in distance or accuracy when I tested them last month... and with the "best for me" KBS TD shaft. My understanding is that PXG hired some of PING's best designers/engineers so it appears Bob played the right cards on that move. (In a way, PING should be flattered).

A guy here in Yuma I play with just purchased the PXG and I hit it a bit on the range.  It has a much more solid feel and muted sound than my G410.  I like the looks... very G4XX looking w/o the turbulators.

Ultimately, we're splitting atoms here as it pertains to degrees of separation between these makes/models... they are all quality products that will prove better for some and not so for others.

• Like 2

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver | Official 2019 MGS Tester

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:ping-small: G410 Irons 4-UW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:ping-small: B61 Putter

On 2/22/2021 at 7:39 AM, Golfspy_CG2 said:

If they are able to stick to the same schedule as the past, I think it will be about 3 to 4 weeks from now.  

They have to slow roll the information to keep us coming back!  Pretty simple marketing strategy.

• Like 1

:taylormade-small: SIM2 Max Driver
image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.png Rogue 3W

image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.png Rogue 4Hybrid
:taylormade-small: M6 irons
:mizuno-small: MP-T7 wedges
:EVNROLL: ER7 Putter
:Snell: "MTB-X" Golf Ball
:Clicgear: 3.5+ Cart

:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9 HD Pro Rangefinder

image.png.a78b2d4ee5b8826f57bf30ca7bcf0cb7.png Launch Monitor

Denver, Colorado

Home Course:  Eisenhower Golf Club, USAF Academy

Speaking of which, anyone get the Callaway email advertising 47” drivers for those craving distance. Calling it there LD spec. How many folks gonna see the more distance and go out and get these bean poles and try to play with them. Maybe this is how Callaway plans to sell more balls too and more people will be spraying them OB everywhere. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Driver: :callaway-small: Epic Flash SZ with  :Fuji:Pro 2.0 TS 7X. Testing Tensei Orange Pro S (1" tipped) at 44.75"

2H: :callaway-small: Super Hybrid with Tensei Orange Pro Hyb 80 Stiff (shaft may be swapped at some point) 

3H: :Sub70: 939X UST proforce V2 black F3 hybrid soft stepped XStiff UPRT setting 

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 1/4" long Unofficial Review

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)  (Backup 54*,60*: :ping-small:  S Tour KBS Tour Stiff 3* up)

Putter: :taylormade-small: Corza Ghost 35" ( Benched :odyssey-small: Toulon Las Vegas Stroke Lab  34")

Ball: :Snell:MTB-X

:Arccos:

I am still testing drivers in search of a New one.  I loved the PXG 0811 Proto and the Ping G425 SFT.  Also the Sim 2 was a good one as well.  Can’t wait to try the Epic and Titleist.  

Adams Hybrid Irons, Cleveland wedges 50,53,56,60, Nike Method Putter, Callaway 3 wood, Ping g25 Driver.  

I am very surprised Ping didn’t rate higher. But that callaway really has me thinking of selling some blood lol

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

:cobra-small:  Speedzone White 10* Driver

:cobra-small: F9 14.5* 3W

:callaway-small:Mavrik 4W - 16.5*

:titelist-small: 818 H1 19* Hybrid 😍

:Sub70: 699 Pro Black 4-PW

:cobra-small: MIM 50*, 55*, 60*

:taylormade-small: Spider Tour Black on Black on Black

2 hours ago, Peejer said:

They have to slow roll the information to keep us coming back!  Pretty simple marketing strategy.

Not really. @cnosilcan give you more insight.  It takes typically 3-5 weeks of testing for each product and then a couple weeks to compile/verify snd analyze the data.  

It will take well into late summer to complete every category. 

• Like 4

:titelist-small: TSi2 Kuro Kage 50g R Flex

:titelist-small: TSi2 16.5 FW with GD AD IZ 6 Shaft

:ping-small:  G410 FW 7 Alta CB R flex 

:ping-small: G410 Hybrid 26 degree Alta CB R Flex

:titelist-small: T100S/T200 Combo 5-7 T100S 8-P T200 TT Black Oynx R Flex

:titelist-small: SM7 54.08 F 58.12 K 

:ping-small: Heppler Tomcast 

:titelist-small: ProV1X Play number 12

On 2/23/2021 at 10:18 AM, pozzit said:

I think a great addition would be some tester profiles so you can find a comparable tester to yourself and see what fit them best. A tally of what was the best results per tester doesn't always equal the best on average.  

Doesn't TrueGolfFit basically do this?  You pay the fee, enter some data, and they compare it against their DB of shots to find you the best driver for your stats.  If nothing else, it's a $9 donation to keep MGS up and running.

• Like 6

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
4 Wood (17*) - :callaway-logo-1: Big Bertha S2H2 - RCH 90 "Firm"
7 Wood  - :callaway-logo-1: Big Bertha Warbird S2H2 - RCH 90 "Firm"
5i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
GW - LW - :cobra-small: F8 - N.S. Pro Modus3 Tour105 ( S )
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Black)
Ball -  :taylormade-small: TP5X Pix
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

What's in timeout:
3 Wood (16*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
4i - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )

9 hours ago, HardcoreLooper said:

Doesn't TrueGolfFit basically do this?  You pay the fee, enter some data, and they compare it against their DB of shots to find you the best driver for your stats.  If nothing else, it's a $9 donation to keep MGS up and running.

Yea thats a good point. I know I want to go through a Driver fitting at the beginning of this year and was going to use TrueGolfFit with that as well to help narrow down my suggestions.  

I do think it would be good to have a tally for the testers of what was their best fit. 

• Like 1

Driver:  Ben Hogan GS53
3W:  Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead 2
2i: Maltby KE4 FDI 
4-PW:  Maltby TS-1 - C-Taper 120g 
50º: Maltby TSW

56º:  Cleveland RTX-2 
60º: Maltby Tour Grind MG
Putter:  Odyssey White Hot RX 2-ball

Ball: Snell MTB X
Other: Arccos (first year lets see how it goes)
Handicap: 5.9  -  Best Score: 73 (1 over) Bryan Park - Players Course, Greensboro NC -2020

2020 MGS Forum Tester - Ben Hogan GS53 Driver

Not really. [mention=15174]cnosil[/mention]can give you more insight.  It takes typically 3-5 weeks of testing for each product and then a couple weeks to compile/verify snd analyze the data.  

It will take well into late summer to complete every category. 
@peejer

I am one of the most wanted testers so here is my take. The testing just takes time based on the available facilities and tester availability. The current facility has 2 hitting bays and 1 putting green. Each session takes approximately 1 and there are roughly 6-10 session per club type and 10-20 testers. There are also space limitations on how many clubs can be on the facility floor to perform the testing. This results in a one to two months of testing per club type.

Ongoing at the same time as club testing they are doing soft good testing which takes away additional space.

That is just the part of what the guys do, they are writing the articles, working with OEMs, doing smaller lab tests (like the tee test), measuring specs, and coordinating the schedules with all the testers. They also have testers that drop out or aren’t able to provide usable data which means they need to add another tester and do some catch-up.

Once all the data is collected it is reviewed and analyzed. Breaking it down by swings speed isn’t cut and dry either since testers on the speed border line may have clubs or even swings above or below the line.

Lots of time and effort goes into the planning, execution, and release of each test. I am sure they would like to go faster but there are limitations that prevent that from happening.
  • Like 6

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
               :titelist-small: 915H 24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :cleveland-small: 588 54-14, 58-12
Putter:  :taylormade-small:TM-180

Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330,   :EVNROLL: ER2.2,  

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

On 2/24/2021 at 8:35 PM, rbsiedsc said:

Speaking of which, anyone get the Callaway email advertising 47” drivers for those craving distance. Calling it there LD spec. How many folks gonna see the more distance and go out and get these bean poles and try to play with them. Maybe this is how Callaway plans to sell more balls too and more people will be spraying them OB everywhere. 

I noticed that, but though it was weird that they didn't offer any lower lofts. I only saw that you could buy the 9 or 10.5 degree heads