Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Pros and bad shots

cnosil

Maybe it is me or that that are being published more often but it seems like they are hitting quite a few bad shots recently. Here are the ones from the past couple of weeks:

Anna Nordquist just struggles with her short game and often resorts to just using the putter.

https://www.golfchannel.com/video/2020-shoprite-lpga-round-1-hole-15-nordqvist-lewis

While it makes you feel better about our games it also

Makes you realize that this game is hard.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

2 minutes ago, cnosil said:

Maybe it is me or that that are being published more often but it seems like they are hitting quite a few bad shots recently.

Oh it's a 100% publishing thing.  The PGA Tour has been notorious for scrubbing the internet of any mishaps on tour.  They always try to maintain a god-like appearance for their players (after all, the PGA Tour is essentially run by the players).

It seems as if the Tour is letting its hair down a bit more this year in terms of showing the human side of the players on tour.  

Max homa was famous in the past for shanking a shot caught on camera. They should embrace it more. It happens to everyone. They just rebound  significantly better than the weekend golfer 

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 Plus 9deg Kai' li Red

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 13deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 15deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 4-PW Nippon Modus 120s

:vokey-small: SM8 54 and 58deg Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex

:titleist-small: Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Titleist ProV1

:ping-small: Hoofer Stand Bag

Stewart Q Follow Electric Caddie

:callaway-small: 300 PRO Rangefinder

Official Nippon Regio B+ Driver Shaft Review

Official Stewart Q Follow Review

I played a lot last late winter with two guys who played on what is now the Korn Ferry tour. One has significant game and only lost status due to injuries.

It amazed me how many stray shots they would hit and how they turned them into par with their next shot or covered them by making an eagle and 3 straight birdies.

Look at the Pars that Burns and Homa made on 10 yesterday -

It’a a very hard game.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

11 minutes ago, revkev said:

I played a lot last late winter with two guys who played on what is now the Korn Ferry tour. One has significant game and only lost status due to injuries.

It amazed me how many stray shots they would hit and how they turned them into par with their next shot or covered them by making an eagle and 3 straight birdies.

It’a a very hard game.

I heard someone recently say that - other than a par 3 - your tee shot is a layup for your next shot. Interesting way to think about it. Even if it isn't perfect and exactly what you want it's still just a layup.

Love the fact that they talked about how Homa could have gotten really down when he saw his results of his tee shot on 10 under the tree but instead he focused, analyzed and made a great shot. IMHO that was a huge factor in him winning the tournament....and I mean his attitude toward the shot.

Pro golfers are incredible athletes, but even they hit wayward shot sometimes and it's their relationship to them that is also impressive.

Driver-  Cobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

I love PGA Tour Live featured group coverage for this. When you see every shot a guy hits during a round, you see that even the very best in the world aren't playing some ideal, perfect version of golf. What becomes apparent is that the best golfers hit bad shots, but they very rarely compound their mistakes.

For an extreme version of this, check out this compilation video that Adam Young made some years back of one of Tiger's rounds at the PGA Championship:

:titleist-small: TS3 9.5°, Tensei Blue
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX T3 15°, Project X HZRDUS Black
:callaway-small: Epic Super Hybrid 18°, Aerotech Steel Fiber FC HYB S
:755178188_TourEdge: C722 21°, Ventus Blue 8S
:touredgeexotics: CBX Iron-Wood 25°, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0
:Sub70: 639 CB, Aldila NV 95 Graphite, 6–PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 48°
:mizuno-small: T22 54° and 60°
:edel-golf-1: EAS 4.0, Garsen G-Pro grip
:taylormade-small: TP5x and Tour Response

Full WITB with pictures

I love PGA Tour Live featured group coverage for this. When you see every shot a guy hits during a round, you see that even the very best in the world aren't playing some ideal, perfect version of golf. What becomes apparent is that the best golfers hit bad shots, but they very rarely compound their mistakes.
For an extreme version of this, check out this compilation video that Adam Young made some years back of one of Tiger's rounds at the PGA Championship:

What we typically see on television is highlights of the shots going on around the course
With commentators adding ok to how good they are.

Pros have a fairly large dispersion patterns and they do a lot better job managing their shots.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

48 minutes ago, StrokerAce said:

I heard someone recently say that - other than a par 3 - your tee shot is a layup for your next shot. Interesting way to think about it. Even if it isn't perfect and exactly what you want it's still just a layup.

Love the fact that they talked about how Homa could have gotten really down when he saw his results of his tee shot on 10 under the tree but instead he focused, analyzed and made a great shot. IMHO that was a huge factor in him winning the tournament....and I mean his attitude toward the shot.

Pro golfers are incredible athletes, but even they hit wayward shot sometimes and it's their relationship to them that is also impressive.

And that was after having missed a 5 footer on 18 that would have won - could you have imagined one of us in that circumstance, missed a 5 footer, then ripped a 285 yard 3 wood 10 yards off line and it ended up against a tree trunk that required a perfectly executed bump and run when you knew you were going to strike the trunk with the shaft of your iron?  

That was remarkable.

I'm trying to remember who it was but about 10 years ago a very good player, I mean a guy who was winning tournaments, had something going on where he would shank an iron or two every tournament - and he still managed to put that possibility out of his head and make the other irons quality.  I had back to back shanks on Saturday and that club stayed put in the bag for the rest of the day - its now in the garage. 🙂

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

12 minutes ago, revkev said:

And that was after having missed a 5 footer on 18 that would have won - could you have imagined one of us in that circumstance, missed a 5 footer, then ripped a 285 yard 3 wood 10 yards off line and it ended up against a tree trunk that required a perfectly executed bump and run when you knew you were going to strike the trunk with the shaft of your iron?  

That was remarkable.

I'm trying to remember who it was but about 10 years ago a very good player, I mean a guy who was winning tournaments, had something going on where he would shank an iron or two every tournament - and he still managed to put that possibility out of his head and make the other irons quality.  I had back to back shanks on Saturday and that club stayed put in the bag for the rest of the day - its now in the garage. 🙂

Genuinely not trying to sound pedantic, but it was even shorter than that: just over 3'. Homa's make rate at that range is close to 99%; that makes the miss even harder to take. Posted this last night:

This was such a helpful sequence to share with Kirke. Watching the way that Homa calmed himself quickly before tapping in that put, and then the way he retained his composure after seeing his lie on 10: those are huge lessons for all of us, but especially for a kid who tends to let his emotions take over. It really was impressive to watch.

:titleist-small: TS3 9.5°, Tensei Blue
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX T3 15°, Project X HZRDUS Black
:callaway-small: Epic Super Hybrid 18°, Aerotech Steel Fiber FC HYB S
:755178188_TourEdge: C722 21°, Ventus Blue 8S
:touredgeexotics: CBX Iron-Wood 25°, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0
:Sub70: 639 CB, Aldila NV 95 Graphite, 6–PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 48°
:mizuno-small: T22 54° and 60°
:edel-golf-1: EAS 4.0, Garsen G-Pro grip
:taylormade-small: TP5x and Tour Response

Full WITB with pictures

16 minutes ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

Genuinely not trying to sound pedantic, but it was even shorter than that: just over 3'. Homa's make rate at that range is close to 99%; that makes the miss even harder to take. Posted this last night:

This was such a helpful sequence to share with Kirke. Watching the way that Homa calmed himself quickly before tapping in that put, and then the way he retained his composure after seeing his lie on 10: those are huge lessons for all of us, but especially for a kid who tends to let his emotions take over. It really was impressive to watch.

The Baptist vs. the Lutheran,  I was trying to be kind with the 5 feet.  You had to nail him with the hammer! 🙂

I wasn't able to hear over the grandchildrenly commotion at the time - I knew it was a terrible miss - and man did he ever handle it like a pro.  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's always nice when we can see the guys who aren't on fire that week. Even watching the earlier in the day golf channel coverage before the leaders get on the course is nice.

Take Dead Aim

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

5 hours ago, revkev said:

It’a a very hard game.

Yup.  They completely redefine "scrambling" as we know and play it.  The Molinari worm burner gives me the biggest chuckle... except that he still had a higher ball speed than my forged drives 😐.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)