Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

My new favorite in Pinehurst

I just came back last night from a short three day trip to Pinehurst (I go at least once a year).  The weather was not ideal being the highs were low to mid 40's and many mornings were delayed due to frost.  That's no big deal for me though because it was much worse back home.  I played Pinehurst #6, #7 and #9.  

I've played #9 before, even when it was a course called The National.  Very nice course and I would recommend playing it if you get a chance.  BUT......BUT.......

NUMBER 7

What a MONSTER.  I've played all the courses now except for the new #4 and I have to say Pinehurst 7 is so incredibly good!  It blows #2 out of the water.  We played from the tips in the cold and wind...what a mistake that was.  #7 has a slope of 143, while #2 and #4 both have a slope of 138.  We were told this was the only Pinehurst course that Tiger has won on (US Am).  Number 7 was both long and fairly narrow with a lot of elevated greens with steep slopes all around.  The greens were to die for.  Many of the locals we talked to told us that this has been their worst winter in a long time, really wet.  I can honestly say, that the greens even during "their worst winter" rolled better than any greens in Delaware during our BEST season.  They rolled incredibly true and fast.  I love fast greens and I would say I am above average when it comes to reading greens (hitting my desired line is another story), and I had such a hard time getting the read correct.  I hit so many putts that broke the opposite way just due to misreading or not seeing the very suttle break in the green.  This course challenged you from opening tee shot to the last putt on 18.  I can't say enough how good this course it.  No gimmicks, no blind shots just everything right out in front of you.  The course openly challenging you, laughing at you and even mocking you!  PLAY Pinehurst #7.  

Oh, that little 14 million dollar shack on hole one is okay to look at too!  

Driver:  :callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero Hzdrs Smoke x flex 70g

3 Wood:  :titelist-small: 917 w/ Diamana Whiteboard stiff

5 Wood : :callaway-small: Epic Flash 18* Hzdrs Smoke stiff

4 Hybrid: image.png.cf6ab25979c6727ff31e6cc6f719636c.png TSi3 Hzdrs Smoke X flex

Irons:  :callaway-small: 5-7  Apex forged 19 w/ Modus 120 X

9-A Apex Pro 19 w/ Modus 120 X

Wedges:  :callaway-small: MD5 52&56 Jaws Dynamic Gold wedge flex

Putter: :titelist-small: Scotty Cameron Phantom 5.5 34"

I was hoping you had a new restaurant for me to try!  

I do agree, #7 is a good solid golf course, plays much tighter than the others, with a bit more terrain as well.  I've played #7 2 or 3 times in the last couple of years, and its growing on me.  I'm not crazy about the 10-minutes drive to the driving range (maybe I exaggerate a bit), and the last hole is kind of blah in my eyes, but a lot of the rest is really good.  There is a kind of low-lying stretch from hole 6 to 8, I imagine that entire area was pretty soft when you played it, it was soft at Thanksgiving when I was there last.  As you say, the greens have been in great condition every time, but that seems to be the norm for Champion Bermuda.  

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

I played No. 7 on my first ever trip to Pinehurst.  We had played No. 2 the day before in an industry event, and our caddies recommended it as the next best one to play and of course talked us into walking and using them to caddie.  Boy that was a mistake, as flat as No. 2 is 7 is just as hilly.   It totally beat us up, and we didn't even play the tips.   Great course though, I just wish I could have enjoyed it a bit more, if I wasn't so beat from walking it.

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

31 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

I was hoping you had a new restaurant for me to try!  

I do agree, #7 is a good solid golf course, plays much tighter than the others, with a bit more terrain as well.  I've played #7 2 or 3 times in the last couple of years, and its growing on me.  I'm not crazy about the 10-minutes drive to the driving range (maybe I exaggerate a bit), and the last hole is kind of blah in my eyes, but a lot of the rest is really good.  There is a kind of low-lying stretch from hole 6 to 8, I imagine that entire area was pretty soft when you played it, it was soft at Thanksgiving when I was there last.  As you say, the greens have been in great condition every time, but that seems to be the norm for Champion Bermuda.  

Actually, we stayed in the condo's on 3 (sorry, don't hate me) and we ate breakfast at the horse track.  It was pretty good, large portions and cheap.  So if you have not tried that for breakfast try that.  Naturally, we hit the brewery (which you have been too many times I'm sure) and we got take out chinese one night haha.  

I agree, 18 was lacking a bit but it was refreshing in a way.  Once we stepped on the tee box we could finally take a sigh of relief and simply said, finally we can rip a drive!  The fairway was huge (by #7 standards) with very little trouble, but getting home in two is tough since the back of the green drops off into the pond (as we found out the hard way).  One of these days, we are going to have to meet up down there and play!

4 Hybrid: image.png.cf6ab25979c6727ff31e6cc6f719636c.png TSi3 Hzdrs Smoke X flex

34 minutes ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

I played No. 7 on my first ever trip to Pinehurst.  We had played No. 2 the day before in an industry event, and our caddies recommended it as the next best one to play and of course talked us into walking and using them to caddie.  Boy that was a mistake, as flat as No. 2 is 7 is just as hilly.   It totally beat us up, and we didn't even play the tips.   Great course though, I just wish I could have enjoyed it a bit more, if I wasn't so beat from walking it.

It was cart path only for us and I was beat from walking from the cart to the ball.  It seems that whenever I play ANY course that is cart path only, I always tend to hit the ball the farthest distance away from the cart path.  You need to go back and play it again WITH a cart.  It won't be any easier but it will still be great golf!  I'm always up to meet you down there to play it again!  haha

9 minutes ago, ballplayer002003 said:

Actually, we stayed in the condo's on 3 (sorry, don't hate me) and we ate breakfast at the horse track

No apology needed!  We looked at a couple of those condos before we bought at Talamore.  The settings were nice, but the ones we saw were pretty small.  You found the good breakfast place at The Track.  And now after thinking about it, I'm contacting Talamore to see when the next time our place is available, it feels like its time for a road trip.

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

6 hours ago, DaveP043 said:

No apology needed!  We looked at a couple of those condos before we bought at Talamore.  The settings were nice, but the ones we saw were pretty small.  You found the good breakfast place at The Track.  And now after thinking about it, I'm contacting Talamore to see when the next time our place is available, it feels like its time for a road trip.

Yeah, my wife got us an Airbnb for Christmas so that was cool.  It was a small condo, not as nice as Talamore but it worked for a few days.  I keep looking at buying a condo down there but man this market is tight right now.  Pinehurst is booming right now and places don't last long.  Guess I'll keep looking.

I’ve only been to Pinehurst once (so far), and I played 2 and 7. Absolutely loved 7, it was such a different challenge from number 2. I picked 7 after I saw MJ say it was his favorite course there and it didn’t disappoint!

Ping G410+, 9* with draw bias weight setting, 55g Alta CB stiff shaft

Taylormade Burner 3w, stiff shaft 

Mizuno JPX919 Hot Metal 4-GW, regular flex

Cleveland CBX2 54* wedge

Cleveland Smart Sole 58* wedge

Ping Scottsdale Piper C putter

Titleist Tour Speed balls

On 2/22/2021 at 1:37 PM, Golfspy_CG2 said:

When I asked my caddy from number 2 if I should walk 7 he told me absolutely not because of how hilly it is. I was there in the heart of summer and I might have died if I walked that after the 24000 steps I took on 2 the day before. 

Ping G410+, 9* with draw bias weight setting, 55g Alta CB stiff shaft

Taylormade Burner 3w, stiff shaft 

Mizuno JPX919 Hot Metal 4-GW, regular flex

Cleveland CBX2 54* wedge

Cleveland Smart Sole 58* wedge

Ping Scottsdale Piper C putter

Titleist Tour Speed balls

2 hours ago, Watchnut33 said:

When I asked my caddy from number 2 if I should walk 7 he told me absolutely not because of how hilly it is. I was there in the heart of summer and I might have died if I walked that after the 24000 steps I took on 2 the day before. 

I wish we had had your caddy 😎

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

On 3/1/2021 at 9:08 PM, Watchnut33 said:

I’ve only been to Pinehurst once (so far), and I played 2 and 7. Absolutely loved 7, it was such a different challenge from number 2. I picked 7 after I saw MJ say it was his favorite course there and it didn’t disappoint!

There is a private course in the Pinehurst area that MJ is a member of, and the man we played with told us that if you go into the locker room you can see MJ's locker.  He told us he has a lot of memorabilia and a ton of Jordan's just sitting in front of his locker.  That would be cool to see.  Almost as cool as walking the hallways of Pinehurst looking at all the trophy's and memorabilia there as well...ALMOST.    

Try Pinehurst Pizza, a retired Philly guy who came to Pinehurst to be a pro, didn't work out and now he serves "Philly Style Pizza". Great guy, great family business and close to the brewery.

John Barry

Bring the Funk, Back to Golf

The Golfer's Trip