Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Having a 21 degree 4 Hybrid and 21 degree 4 iron

Hey everyone! I just got fitted for the TSi2 Hybrid and I was fitted for 21 degree 4 Hybrid which will be dropped down 0.75 degrees. I am coming from a G410 19 Degree 3 Hybrid. The way my bag is set up loft wise is 9-15-20.25-21-24-28-32-36-40-44-48-54-60. My question is since my 4 iron and 4 hybrid are essentially the same loft, should I just remove my 4 iron or is it still essential to have a 4 iron in the bag? Having two clubs of the same loft is messing with my head hahah! Thank you everyone! 

Driver: Titleist TSr3 10 Degree Fujikura Ventus Blue TR Velocore 6x D1/Neutral setting (RH)

4 Wood: Titleist TSr2 16.5 Degree Fujikura Ventus Blue Velocore 7x D1 setting (RH)

7 Wood: Titleist TSr2 21 Degree Fujikura Ventus Blue Velocore 7x D1 setting (RH)

5 Hybrid: Titleist TSr2 24 Degree Fujikura Ventus Blue Velocore 8x B2 setting (RH)

Irons: 2023 Titleist Black T100 5-PW AMT White S300 Onyx (RH)

Wedges: 2023 Titleist Black T100 50 AMT White S300 Onyx, Titleist SM9 Premium Jet Black 54D/12 bounce, 58M/8 bounce BGT ZNE 130 wedge shafts (RH)

Putter: Bettinardi Wizard Inovai 8.0 Custom with Stability Shaft Tour Black

Ball: 2022 Titleist ProV1x (yellow)

Depends on what your carry and total distances are for each. if they are going the same distance with a similar ball flight then there isnt much point in having both as your most likely just going to pull out which one you are more comfortable with each time.

I carry a regular length 22 hybrid and a 21 degree one length hybrid. while they are the same loft the distances are a little different but the ball flight is very different. I use the one length version when im concerned with accuracy or if there is a strong wind as the ball flight is lower, carry distance shorter but with alot more roll out. I also like it for bump and runs around the green. the 22 is great for carry distance and stopping power due to the higher flight and steeper landing angle.

Just figure out what works best for you and dont worry about the numbers on the clubs.

Clubs.jpg.b0df6f27ceedde9520a039cf9e3b013b.jpg

Currently deciding what shaft to use in blank cells...

52 minutes ago, Herts JoaTMoN said:

Depends on what your carry and total distances are for each. if they are going the same distance with a similar ball flight then there isnt much point in having both as your most likely just going to pull out which one you are more comfortable with each time.

I carry a regular length 22 hybrid and a 21 degree one length hybrid. while they are the same loft the distances are a little different but the ball flight is very different. I use the one length version when im concerned with accuracy or if there is a strong wind as the ball flight is lower, carry distance shorter but with alot more roll out. I also like it for bump and runs around the green. the 22 is great for carry distance and stopping power due to the higher flight and steeper landing angle.

Just figure out what works best for you and dont worry about the numbers on the clubs.

Yep you pretty much nailed it with the last sentence. I myself do not worry too much about lofts or loft gaps. I carry a club simply because of the shots I can manufacture with it

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

3 hours ago, Herts JoaTMoN said:

Agree totally! Depends on if you have shots you can only make with one or the other.   I have a 3 hybrid, and a 4 iron I get about the same distance out of.  Into the wind off the tee I can keep the 4i lower, when needed.  And hopefully this just applies to me but I can keep the ball low and roll it out from underneath the trees very effectively with my 4 iron (get practice more often than I like!).  Don't worry about the numbers.

Driver: Cobra King Speedzone

Irons:  :callaway-small: Mavrik 4-GW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CG-14 56 & RTX 52

Putter:  :ping-small: Scottsdale Wolverine

Woods:  Gigagolf  3W, 2H, 3H

Ball:  Srixon Z-Star XV 

Do you feel like you need to hit your hybrid out of the the thick cut/rough? Many have an easier time with irons/utility irons. I find that gapping isn’t as big of a deal with degrees. It’s about purpose and distance. I may have two clubs that are the same

loft. One is a 19deg hybrid the other is a 4 iron. Very similar distances but I am more comfortable with the hybrid off the tee and the fairway and the iron is great out of the rough and to hit low stingers with on windy days

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 Plus 9deg Kai' li Red

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 13deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 15deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 4-PW Nippon Modus 120s

:vokey-small: SM8 54 and 58deg Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex

:titleist-small: Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Titleist ProV1

:ping-small: Hoofer Stand Bag

Stewart Q Follow Electric Caddie

:callaway-small: 300 PRO Rangefinder

Official Nippon Regio B+ Driver Shaft Review

Official Stewart Q Follow Review

I am seeing a trend here.....and I am part of it....

I have a 4h & 4i that I swap for each other and sometimes carry both for the same reasons stated above.  4h flies higher and stops better, 4i flies lower and runs out and I can maneuver the ball better with the 4i than the 4h which always wants to go from R to L.

Modern Bag:  :ping-small: G410 LST 10.5*, Hzrdus Smoke RDX 6.5 Flex;   :titelist-small:  915F 3w, Diamana S+ 70 S flex;  Snake Eyes 18* 2h, 23* 4h & 27* 5h; :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 6 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Edison 2.0 49*, 53*, 57* KBS Tour 120 S;   :ping-small:  Heppler Fetch;  Ball - :Snell: MTB-X; Bag - Jones MyGolfSpy Edition! 

Shot Scope H4, MG600 Rangefinder

Classic Bag:  Driver - :wilson_staff_small: Persimmon; 3w - :Hogan: Speed Slot; 5w - :wilson_staff_small: Tour Block; 3 - pw - :wilson_staff_small: Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

I use the 4 iron to flip steaks on the grill if that counts!!! I don't think a hybrid would work well for that.  

Seriously as others have written this is going to be an individual decision.  Hybrids, long irons and fairway woods do different things.  You may have noticed a trend towards an additional fairway wood in player's bags lately.  A 7 wood might be a consideration over one of those two clubs - 7 wood will have a similar loft as well but the longer shaft and bigger platform might get you additional carry distance, particularly out of the rough and since it's a wood it won't "play with your head," as much.

I've just made the decision to stick 5 hybrid in my bag for a while.  In theory I should have a wedge between my 52 and 59 but I've found, through ARCCOS tracking that I am so much more proficient with the 52 than the 56, at any distance or for any shot I play, that it makes no sense to pull that club out of the bag other than to set it on the wall in the garage - that's where it sits right now, in fact.  The 5 hybrid will now serve as a chipper of sorts, I used to use hybrid for bump and runs and all sorts of other stuff around the green - yes I can use an 8 iron but that gets hairy off of the types of grasses and conditions that I find in Florida.  I could also use it in lieu of 9 wood into the wind - that 9 wood launches high and is very hard to flight down.

So there you go, another tale of two similarly lofted clubs in the bag.

In the end you need to do what is best for your game - think outside the box and try a 7 wood just to see if it might be your answer and then don't be afraid to keep what works best in your bag even if it seems weird.  

Good luck

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

First, same loft with different head weights and shaft lengths and shaft material will produce different results = they are not the same because of the same loft.

Generally, 4h loft replaces a 3i, but in your case the 4i loft is a 3i loft. My 4i is 24° and 3i is 21° but the point isn't the number on the bottom of the club for me. The graphite shaft that is longer than the equivalent lofted iron with a shorter steel shaft produces a faster clubhead speed for me with the hybrid. The COG of the hybrid also produces a much different flight. 

I guess the bigger question for you is if you pull the 4i then what would you add to lower your scores? If you can answer that question then do it. If you can't then keep the 4i. 

Golf is simple - people are complicated.

5w Taylormade SLDR S 19* - 220yd, Ping G2 5-U - 190-105, Maltby M+ 54* & MG 60* - 95-75, Evnroll ER8, Titleist 816 H1 4h 21*, Maltby 4 Hybrid Iron 24* - 210-200, Callaway XR16 8* - 235 carry

886809507_image1(5).jpeg.56bc697c3b02b1fb00feb8d4b66389bc~2.jpeg

9 hours ago, PingMD702 said:

Hey everyone! I just got fitted for the TSi2 Hybrid and I was fitted for 21 degree 4 Hybrid which will be dropped down 0.75 degrees. I am coming from a G410 19 Degree 3 Hybrid. The way my bag is set up loft wise is 9-15-20.25-21-24-28-32-36-40-44-48-54-60. My question is since my 4 iron and 4 hybrid are essentially the same loft, should I just remove my 4 iron or is it still essential to have a 4 iron in the bag? Having two clubs of the same loft is messing with my head hahah! Thank you everyone! 

Your 4 iron is essential if you have the need to hit the ball the distance your 4 iron goes on a trajectory that provides you the best outcome.  Same goes for every other club.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I appreciate all the responses! I figured as much! Carry wise my 21 goes 225-230 and my 4 iron goes 205-210. I agree if I remove the 4 iron I have no idea what I would replace it with haha!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Driver: Titleist TSr3 10 Degree Fujikura Ventus Blue TR Velocore 6x D1/Neutral setting (RH)

4 Wood: Titleist TSr2 16.5 Degree Fujikura Ventus Blue Velocore 7x D1 setting (RH)

7 Wood: Titleist TSr2 21 Degree Fujikura Ventus Blue Velocore 7x D1 setting (RH)

5 Hybrid: Titleist TSr2 24 Degree Fujikura Ventus Blue Velocore 8x B2 setting (RH)

Wedges: 2023 Titleist Black T100 50 AMT White S300 Onyx, Titleist SM9 Premium Jet Black 54D/12 bounce, 58M/8 bounce BGT ZNE 130 wedge shafts (RH)

I carry a 5i and 5h, both at 24°. Distance wise the hybrid plays like a 4i but I don’t really look at gapping as the biggest factor. I look more at the type of shot I need out of them. 5h is better from rough or if I have to go high and/or draw it. When it comes to building a bag, a lot gets made of gapping but I look more at what shots I need to hit on the courses I play and making sure I have a club for that shot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I did try a 5 wood today and now it’s making me second guess my purchase hahaha. I understand different shot shapes and trajectory. How would you decide between 5 wood or 4 hybrid? Sorry for all the ridiculous questions haha

17 hours ago, revkev said:

I use the 4 iron to flip steaks on the grill if that counts!!! I don't think a hybrid would work well for that.  

Seriously as others have written this is going to be an individual decision.  Hybrids, long irons and fairway woods do different things.  You may have noticed a trend towards an additional fairway wood in player's bags lately.  A 7 wood might be a consideration over one of those two clubs - 7 wood will have a similar loft as well but the longer shaft and bigger platform might get you additional carry distance, particularly out of the rough and since it's a wood it won't "play with your head," as much.

I've just made the decision to stick 5 hybrid in my bag for a while.  In theory I should have a wedge between my 52 and 59 but I've found, through ARCCOS tracking that I am so much more proficient with the 52 than the 56, at any distance or for any shot I play, that it makes no sense to pull that club out of the bag other than to set it on the wall in the garage - that's where it sits right now, in fact.  The 5 hybrid will now serve as a chipper of sorts, I used to use hybrid for bump and runs and all sorts of other stuff around the green - yes I can use an 8 iron but that gets hairy off of the types of grasses and conditions that I find in Florida.  I could also use it in lieu of 9 wood into the wind - that 9 wood launches high and is very hard to flight down.

So there you go, another tale of two similarly lofted clubs in the bag.

In the end you need to do what is best for your game - think outside the box and try a 7 wood just to see if it might be your answer and then don't be afraid to keep what works best in your bag even if it seems weird.  

Good luck

I kinda had to revamp my short game after changing courses and my back injury. Love my new course even if it ain't Augusta National around the greens. Growing up on muni type courses I learned the bump and run and Texas wedge. I have went back to it instead of a 52 or 56 around the greens. With the new style clubs and shafts I am playing those shots feel like butter to me. Yep I have been practcing the 5 iron bump and run and the 8 iron bump and run lately. Also need to change my signature some. I ditched both hybrids because I found I get a lot out of the 5 and 6 irons. I also put my old Adams 5 wood at 19* back in the bag. 

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

I did try a 5 wood today and now it’s making me second guess my purchase hahaha. I understand different shot shapes and trajectory. How would you decide between 5 wood or 4 hybrid? Sorry for all the ridiculous questions haha

I would say it’s, like a lot of things, player preference. What are you more comfortable with? For me, fairway woods are tee clubs. Just can’t ever get the consistency out of a fairway that I can a hybrid. Now for a better player the difference might be very small, for me it’s pretty substantial. What are the real differences in the shots you hit with each and where do they fit on your arsenal, that’s the question I’d ask myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a 4 iron and a 4 hybrid. My Hybrid goes further than my 4 iron, so my gapping is 5 iron, 4 iron, 4 hybrid, 3 wood etc. 

:ping-small: Driver: G425 Max 10.5*
:ping-small: Wood: G425 Max
:ping-small: Wood: G425 Max
:titelist-small: Hybrid: TS2 23*
:titelist-small: Irons:  6 to GW, T300 
:titelist-small: Wedges:  Vokey SM8 50F, 54S, 58K
:cameron-small: Putter: 1998 Tei3 Newport Long Neck
:titelist-small: Ball: Yellow Titleist VG3
:nike-small: Bag: Nike Air Hybrid Golf Bag

I Love the Art of Putting!

On 2/24/2021 at 10:42 PM, PingMD702 said:

First off it is not a rediculous question--- We all gain knowledge through questioning things whether verbal or experimentation on our own. Now on your question and this is just my opinion FWIW. You need to go with the club you have the most confidence in and fits your style of playing.  Personally I went back to my 5 wood because I can hit it pretty decent and can work it to hit a variety of shots with. Good example--- On bad lies I will say a hybrid may be easier to hit like out of the rough. In the case now for me if I can not get a 5 wood under it then I will hit a 5 or 6 iron and chop it out and get it into position I can get a short iron under it next shot. Different playing styles and thoughts all factor in.  Good Luck to you and let us know how it works out for you--- You never know we all may learn something

Edited by BIG STU

G