Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Pinehurst Golf Trip

g_humphrey

Being born in the mid 90s, I always heard of the amazing victory by Payne Stewart at Pinehurst in the 99th playing of the United States Open. I've seen the clip of the iconic fist pump on the 72nd hole as Payne holed his birdie putt to win by 1 stroke over "Lefty". Vaguely remembering the tragedy that ended his life, I never got to experience the life of Payne, but revel in the legacy. This weekend, I finally get to see the statue at Pinehurst #2. I will finally be able to enjoy the Pinehurst atmosphere that I have heard so much about!

We have three rounds scheduled already, and we will try to squeeze in a 4th somewhere. Since I have never been there, what courses would you recommend playing? Also, what restaurants should I try while there? The only thing as good as a golf trip is a stellar restaurant! 

Pinehurst No 2 Hole 18 Golf Course Pin Flag-crop(1,0.846,0,0.099,r4).jpg

trip meme.jpg

Ben Hogan bandwagon

I’m envious, you’ll have a great time.  Courses - 2, 4, 3 is short and fun, 7, 8, Tobacco Road in Sanford (not far and worth it), Cradle for fun.  The Deuce restaurant at Pinehurst...that way you have more time for golf!

TSi2 Driver, Titleist TSi2 4 Wood, Ping G410 3 Hybrid, Ping G400 4 Hybrid, Maltby TS1 5-GW, Maltby Max Milled 54, Maltby Max Milled 58, Piretti Forza.

Some folks say golf messes up a nice walk.  That’s not true, golf makes a nice walk bearable.

You didn’t mention which ones you are already playing.  But favorites of mine in the area.  
#2,4 and 8. 
Mid Pines/Pine Needles

Mid South

Dormie Club-it may be 100% private now.

Tobacco Road

As for dining, definitely Pine Crest Inn, Pinehurst Brewery and maybe The Duece for lunch   

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

All good suggestions.  If you're looking for something more budget-friendly, Southern Pines isn't bad.  It will probably be a little scruffy.  I can't wait to see it after the renovation.

I wouldn't bother with Pinehurst #9.  Played it a few times because I didn't have to pay much for it.  I'm not a fan of Nicklaus courses.

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

Have a great time -I am just missing out on a company outing at the end of April due to injury. I put together that trip and had No 2, 4, 8, and The Cradle on the schedule.  If I were to redo it, I might add Tobacco Road in over one of the others.  Don't think you can go wrong though.

Low percentage this happens, but trying to look at doing another trip with different customers later in the year and so far have earmarked, Tobacco Road, Pinehurst No 2, and Mid Pines.  Just not sure since Pinehurst is so expensive, but it's hard not to have that one on the list when you are in the area.  

Driver:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngMavrik Sub Zero 9* (Set to 10) Ventus Blue 6X

2 Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSI3 Hybrid Tensei Blue 80 X (17.25*)

3 Hybrid :titelist-small: 818 H2 Hybrid Hzrdus RDX Black 6.5 (20.5*)

4 Iron -  :titelist-small: T200 4 Iron Graphite Design Tour AD IZ X Hybrid Shaft

Irons 5-PW:  :titelist-small: T100-S 5 - GW KBS Tour 130 X

Gap/Sand Wedge:  :titelist-small: Vokey SM6 49*  SM8 54* 

Lob Wedge:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngJaws 5 Wedge 58* DG Tour Issue Stiff

Putter:   :scotty-small: Phantom 5.5 34"      Pro Platinum Newport 2 35"      Taylormade Tour Black Spider 34"

19 hours ago, g_humphrey said:

Being born in the mid 90s, I always heard of the amazing victory by Payne Stewart at Pinehurst in the 99th playing of the United States Open. I've seen the clip of the iconic fist pump on the 72nd hole as Payne holed his birdie putt to win by 1 stroke over "Lefty". Vaguely remembering the tragedy that ended his life, I never got to experience the life of Payne, but revel in the legacy. This weekend, I finally get to see the statue at Pinehurst #2. I will finally be able to enjoy the Pinehurst atmosphere that I have heard so much about!

We have three rounds scheduled already, and we will try to squeeze in a 4th somewhere. Since I have never been there, what courses would you recommend playing? Also, what restaurants should I try while there? The only thing as good as a golf trip is a stellar restaurant! 

Where are you staying, where are you playing?  @Golfspy_CG2 has a list of courses that pretty much mirrors my own preferences.  For food and drink, I'd add to previous suggestions Maxies for a nice sportsbar with good food, Ironwood Cafe, Chef Warren's (causal fine dining), Elliot's on Linden (slightly less casual fine dining), Sly Fox (gastropub), Chapmans (really good bar food).  I could go on, but that's enough for now.  And if you like big-box chain restaurants, go to the traffic circle, the south on 501, and you'll find more than plenty.

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

16 hours ago, NCDuffer said:

I’m envious, you’ll have a great time.  Courses - 2, 4, 3 is short and fun, 7, 8, Tobacco Road in Sanford (not far and worth it), Cradle for fun.  The Deuce restaurant at Pinehurst...that way you have more time for golf!

Mid Pines, Pine Needles and Dormie are great.  Just for the experience, I’d try to get on Tobacco Road though as it’s so unique.

TSi2 Driver, Titleist TSi2 4 Wood, Ping G410 3 Hybrid, Ping G400 4 Hybrid, Maltby TS1 5-GW, Maltby Max Milled 54, Maltby Max Milled 58, Piretti Forza.

Some folks say golf messes up a nice walk.  That’s not true, golf makes a nice walk bearable.

Well speaking of Pinehurst, this was perfect timing.   Titleist just announced it's 2021 Team Titleist Invitational is going back to Pinehurst.   I think I was the 2nd one to sign up!

https://www.titleist.com/teamtitleist/team-titleist/f/the-clubhouse/49976/announcing-the-2021-team-titleist-invitational

I've been to four of the six invitationals and they are without a doubt first class and a great time.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Guests
On 2/24/2021 at 2:25 PM, g_humphrey said:

Pinehurst No 2 Hole 18 Golf Course Pin Flag-crop(1,0.846,0,0.099,r4).jpg

trip meme.jpg

Tobacco Road without any doubt!!!!

I know this is an old thread but Pinehurst anything and I’m all in!

Everyone always touts the usual great golf the area has to offer. I think it’s important to point out some great golf at a lower price-point that is often overlooked.

Longleaf is ridiculously underrated. Great golf course. One of the courses at Whispering Pines is very good. I can’t remember since the name change. Used to be the East Course. Beacon Ridge is well worth the time for $35 on Golf Now.

Pinehurst is just blessed with an abundance of really good golf!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

36 minutes ago, sixcat said:

I know this is an old thread but Pinehurst anything and I’m all in!

Everyone always touts the usual great golf the area has to offer. I think it’s important to point out some great golf at a lower price-point that is often overlooked.

Longleaf is ridiculously underrated. Great golf course. One of the courses at Whispering Pines is very good. I can’t remember since the name change. Used to be the East Course. Beacon Ridge is well worth the time for $35 on Golf Now.

Pinehurst is just blessed with an abundance of really good golf!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Agree. Lots of good value golf there.  

I go every May for 4 days of value based golf, poker and drinking fun! 

Long Leaf the most under-rated course there! I liked Tobacco Road but we LOVE Tot Hill Farms (25 minute drive). Legacy is another under-rated course and we play Hyland Park every year, for our worst dressed golfer and I have never had a complaint about the course. Pinewild, Dormie (still public to the end of April?), Pine Needles, Mid Pines and Maples are all great clubs!

Pinehurst Pizza is the best pizza there and the owners are awesome. The little white breakfast spot on the race track is awesome as well. Heck, hanging at the bar in the huge Harris Teeter (pre-covid) made getting food and beer great! The Brewery is always packed, I love Dugans and the old town square is awesome.

John Barry

Bring the Funk, Back to Golf

The Golfer's Trip