TESTERS WANTED! ×

Making my own putter #2

DStar

1st game with the new putter this weekend just gone. It worked really well, speed control was great, alignment was spot on - my green reading still needs to improve but hit the ball where I was aiming. 

Lots of positive comments on the looks & weight too from other players 👍

:cobra-small: RADSpeed 9° Matrix Black Tie X-Flex 🐺 

:cobra-small: F9 3/4 Wood Aldila NV 2KXV Blue 

:mizuno-small:CLK 19° Hybrid Speeder Evo HB S 

:mizuno-small: MP54 4-PW Nippon Modus³ Tour 115 X

:titleist-small: SM8 50° F-Grind 

:titleist-small: SM8 54° F-Grind 

:titleist-small: SM8 58° K-Grind 

DStar 'Malvern' Putter 

:titelist-small: AVX & -ProV1X

:footjoy-small: Tour-X 

"Hey mister, your clubs are the wrong way round"..

Thank you. 

I went with the sole engraving that way around as, when you look at a putter, you tend to hold it by the shaft and look at the face then the sole and the engraving is the right way around for that 👍

DStar 'Malvern' Putter 

On 4/19/2022 at 1:56 AM, DStar said:

And I've named the putter. As a lot of putters seem to be named after places (Newport, Toulon, Daytona etc) I've gone with my home town. 

Made a new name plate. The black line is a graphic of the hills where I live:

20220414_101128.jpg.211c33f5768c08f42d49b95a2046e81b.jpg

Very cool.   I think the hill silhouette is the perfect touch to the graphic.  Simple and meaningful. 

Keep swinging - JC

Driver: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg 0811 XF (9°)

Wood(s): th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg 0341 XF (7w)

Irons:  :Hogan: PTxPro 4-PW

Wedges:   :Hogan: Equalizer II (56°, 60°)

Putter:  :ping-small: Zing Bronze

Ball:  image.png.5e3f3d4f8b31082a6504dff683a91313.png Tour X

On 2/24/2021 at 10:55 PM, DStar said:

I'm also trying to think of the options that would make it appealing to buy. So far I've got:

• Material (304 or CS)
  • Loft
  • Shaft colour/length (using KBS CT Tour that come in a few different colours)
  • Grip
  • Alignment (lines/dots etc)

I've also found a UK based headcover maker so could do colour options on that too. 

What things would you be looking for in a custom putter? 

A matching Morgan?  

Retired Engineer & Club Builder

Before long everyone will replace their inkjet or laser printers with 3D printers and you'll be able to make any club you want to your specs.

Certified Club Fitter.

Ping G425 Max Driver 10.5° w/Fujikura Ventus TR

Ping G425 Max 5-7-9 Fairway Woods w/Ping Alta CB

Ping G425 Irons 5-U w/Ping Alta CB (Power-Spec Lofts)

Ping 4.0 Eye2 Glide Wedges 54°-58° w/Recoil SmacWrap

Ping Redwood ZB Putter w/PP58

PING Pioneer Cart Bag

Lamkin Sonar+ Wrap Mid-Size Grips

On 11/11/2021 at 3:11 AM, IONEPUTT said:

In a previous reply to your post on building your own putter, I mentioned that your work looks great, and I suggested that you try a putter design with a High CG to get the ball rolling as soon as possible for better performance on the greens. Here are a few photos of the putter I designed and built about 15 years ago with a High CG. 

The two pods above the face of the putter have 60 grains of lead in each pod. The putter is made of Pakka wood, which is very hard  and stands up very well to a lot of use. Putter head weighs 360 grams or so. There are five pieces of lead in the main body of the putter also. Very easy to align the face of the putter to the ball using the light colored inserts in the top surface of the head. The design rolls the ball extremely well, Better than any  name brand putter I've tried over the years. 

High CG putter.jpg

High CG.jpg

I have been following your posts about moving the CG higher, which makes a lot of sense, then you show us this.😮 While delivering performance, lots of work to improve the looks, before I would consider putting this in my bag.

Where golf is a way of life, and work but a distraction.

@DStar, absolutely incredible work -- as others have said, very envious of your skills, I can only do/am still learning basic club-building myself.  I tried looking for this in prior comments/conversation, and saw a few points in this direction but nothing specific (apologies if I missed something, asking you to repeat yourself):  Do you have any thoughts on/were you specific in choosing that specific mill pattern for the face?  Putters/putting are by far my favorite part of the game, and I've been attempting to research the "best" mill pattern for fully-milled faces.  The results are of course all over the map, sporadic, and a lot of hype.  It looks like you consistently chose one pattern (which looks similar to several different kinds out there -- some Scottys, Odyssey Black Series Tour Design, Odyssey Protypes, etc.).  Did you choose this pattern intentionally/for a reason, and if so, why?  Would you find it better/better roll than a horizontal straight line (like in an Evnroll, Sik, etc.)?  Thanks in advance for any reply you might provide.

Driver: Taylormade M3 9.75 degree w/ Diamana BF Series 4th Gen. (4th Gen. BlueBoard)/Cobra Speedzone (Black, White, Red) 9.5 w/ VA Composites VYLYN 55 Three

3W: Taylormade Sim Ti 15 degree w/ HZRDUS Black HC 5.5 62g

3H-4H: Taylormade Aeroburners/Ping G425s

5i-PW: Taylormade RSi1/Callaway XR OS

GW: Cleveland RTX-3 CB 52 degree

SW-LW: Callaway PM Grind 2019s

Putter: Odyssey Black Series #1/Odyssey Black Series Tour Designs #2/Odyssey White Hot Pro (original) #1

Ball: ProV1

Bag: Taylormade Supreme Cart Bag

Thank you for the very kind words 🙂

I chose this pattern as, as you say, it's probably the most common pattern. I tried a few different patterns on some steel billets to gauge sound & feel and this style seemed to be the best. 

That being said I would be interested in trying a horizontal pattern just to see how it differs. I can understand the logic that the horizontal milling should help get the ball rolling. Maybe on the next one (or possibly on one of my other heads I've done).

DStar 'Malvern' Putter 

This has been my “go to” putted for a decade.  Actually 2 putters, one SS other carbon.872157A3-FC44-4D32-8C1F-E2AB59265785.jpeg.6dadef7ae96605b8180deb2e871008b2.jpeg9182436C-EF75-4CC3-BB0D-96ECAFBC847D.jpeg.c7007d7f1f518ddf46d192b15309c22e.jpeg

Edited by Rickp
Add oic

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

2 minutes ago, Rickp said:

This has been my “go to” putted for a decade.  Actually 2 putters, one SS other carbon.872157A3-FC44-4D32-8C1F-E2AB59265785.jpeg.6dadef7ae96605b8180deb2e871008b2.jpeg9182436C-EF75-4CC3-BB0D-96ECAFBC847D.jpeg.c7007d7f1f518ddf46d192b15309c22e.jpeg

3F3441D3-42AA-4D8D-A8B8-74A56AD966F6.jpeg.4971187d7f6bc76f5a7b7efb2f313d24.jpeg215005E3-E023-400E-906D-FEF5CCCEF9A9.jpeg.7375f7fd82640f41e1db52a355a92936.jpeg

0D90B30A-9733-4E16-A0DB-FAA4E738297E.jpeg

Rick

Left Hand, 

Thanks very much for your thoughts and reply, @DStar.  Best of luck on your future work.

I do wonder if the half-moon(?)/vertical curved patterns help the ball start and/or get back to target, vs. the horizontal lines which could, as you note, start a more "true roll" with top spin for straight distance control.  I've been testing different putters myself to try to see what performs better (but, of course, without actual readings a lot of it is "feel"/psychological, I'm sure).  Will continue to follow your work and research, including a lot of good testing on MGS, of course.

Thanks again, best of luck.  Really interesting what you're doing.

Driver: Taylormade M3 9.75 degree w/ Diamana BF Series 4th Gen. (4th Gen. BlueBoard)/Cobra Speedzone (Black, White, Red) 9.5 w/ VA Composites VYLYN 55 Three

3W: Taylormade Sim Ti 15 degree w/ HZRDUS Black HC 5.5 62g

3H-4H: Taylormade Aeroburners/Ping G425s

5i-PW: Taylormade RSi1/Callaway XR OS

GW: Cleveland RTX-3 CB 52 degree

SW-LW: Callaway PM Grind 2019s

Putter: Odyssey Black Series #1/Odyssey Black Series Tour Designs #2/Odyssey White Hot Pro (original) #1

Ball: ProV1

Bag: Taylormade Supreme Cart Bag

On 4/20/2022 at 4:02 PM, Plumbob said:

I have been following your posts about moving the CG higher, which makes a lot of sense, then you show us this.😮 While delivering performance, lots of work to improve the looks, before I would consider putting this in my bag.

I'm sorry you don't like the way my putter looks. But as we all know, looks is a matter of taste, like some men like blondes and some like brunettes, what rocks your boat may not do a thing for others.  I have had dozens of golfers see me using that putter and I have had a lot of them say how much they liked my design, so I guess you are just not one of them. No big deal to have one or two that don't like the design, I know a lot of others that do.  

All my clubs are custom built with aftermarket shafts that have been spine and FLO aligned for max performance every swing. 

On 4/20/2022 at 4:02 PM, Plumbob said:

IF you purchased your current putter based more on "Looks" than on "Performan" , then I"d have to say you purchased it for the "Wrong" reason. IF I like how a putter looks, I'll pick it up and try it. IF it looks great but performs only Okay. I keep my wallet in my pocket. I'd suggest you consider doing the same. 

All my clubs are custom built with aftermarket shafts that have been spine and FLO aligned for max performance every swing. 

• 1 month later...

So when are you going to start taking special orders DStar? 😉

Beautiful design, and I love the homage to you hometown!!  

• Titleist TSR3 9* (A2 setting) Driver - Graphite Design Tour AD UB-5 R1
  • Titleist TSR2+ 3 Wood - Graphite Design Tour AD UB-5 R1
  • Srixon ZX 5W
  • Callaway Paradym 4-PW
  • Titleist Vokey SM9 50-08, 54-10 & 58-08
  • Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport 2.5
  • 2023 Titleist ProV1

21 minutes ago, Tiftaaft said:

So when are you going to start taking special orders DStar? 😉

Beautiful design, and I love the homage to you hometown!!  

Thanks Tim. Unfortunately too much proper work to be able to take orders at the moment 😕

DStar 'Malvern' Putter 

2 hours ago, DStar said:

Thanks Tim. Unfortunately too much proper work to be able to take orders at the moment 😕

I hate it when life gets in the way of passion!  

• Titleist TSR3 9* (A2 setting) Driver - Graphite Design Tour AD UB-5 R1
  • Titleist TSR2+ 3 Wood - Graphite Design Tour AD UB-5 R1
  • Srixon ZX 5W
  • Callaway Paradym 4-PW
  • Titleist Vokey SM9 50-08, 54-10 & 58-08
  • Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport 2.5
  • 2023 Titleist ProV1

• 3 weeks later...

I've been tinkering with 3D modeling and have 3D printed one putter head so far. The biggest downside is that I only have access to plastic printing at this time.. It's fun to design and dream though!

E38D9A4D-D576-4B19-B199-A4F6A456924F.jpeg

06979A18-6E99-4D03-89DF-C69A97D52E17.jpeg

3893AE95-CDF6-455F-90A1-31C933A5CD2A.jpeg

Edited by Genare

PXG woods

Titleist Irons

Cleveland wedges 

Ping putter 

• 2 months later...

Not really been doing much with putter design as this one is working so well for me.

Only issue I had is that the brushed finish was giving too much glare so I decided to give the 'visible at address' part of the putter a fine bead blast which has made a huge difference and looks more refined too.

Also fancied a new rear logo plate so found a bit of phosphor bronze which should age nicely. Added 15g to the weight too so feels a bit more stable and solid on contact:

DStar 'Malvern' Putter 

2 hours ago, DStar said:

Not really been doing much with putter design as this one is working so well for me.

Only issue I had is that the brushed finish was giving too much glare so I decided to give the 'visible at address' part of the putter a fine bead blast which has made a huge difference and looks more refined too.

Also fancied a new rear logo plate so found a bit of phosphor bronze which should age nicely. Added 15g to the weight too so feels a bit more stable and solid on contact:

Looks great!!!  The Phos Bze will “age” nicely.

Rick

Left Hand,