Magnum, Le Tigre, Ferrari, Blue Steel. Wedges, they are all the same.

Our Sponsors

8 minutes ago, Thin2win said:

Yeah yeah yeah. Why did you get a sub 70 wedge? I know you've had good luck with the 699 Pro's, decided to give their wedge a try too? 

The cookie has not been decided yet, but you are in the running. 

I'll add a bit to my price comment above. Like Tom, I was impressed with my 699 Pro irons. Sub 70 had a pretty solid selection of used clubs, making the barely used wedges (basically demos) even cheaper. And then Sub 70 bent them to my desired spec (a degree flat) at no additional charge.

So maybe add personalized customer service to price as a reason to choose one wedge over another.

• Like 3

:callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero, 9°, Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI 70 X
:callaway-small: Mavrik Sub Zero 15°, Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI 70 S
:cobra-small: F6 5-6W, 18.5°, Fujikura Motore 6.3
:adams-small: XTD Proto dHy 21°, Aldila Green NV Hybrid 105 S
:Sub70: 699 Pro, Modus3 105, 5–PW
:Sub70: Forged Black 50°, 54°, and 58°
:odyssey-small: Stroke Lab EXO Seven Mini, 34"
:srixon-small: Z-Star XV

Full WITB with pictures

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Tony C might kick me off the forums for this. But I really believe that a standard 588 style wedge has zero difference from one brand to another. I am not talking about the bounce and grind options th

okay, that is exactly where I am at. I also have Sub70, and I got it because of price. And having used it, I can't come up with any reason to spend more on a wedge than it costs. I'm fishing for someo

@Thin2win usually lets me buy the expensive stuff and then wants to take it off my hands after my ADHD brain moves on to my next idea lol

Posted Images

5 minutes ago, Thin2win said:

Yeah yeah yeah. Why did you get a sub 70 wedge? I know you've had good luck with the 699 Pro's, decided to give their wedge a try too? 

The cookie has not been decided yet, but you are in the running. 

Liked the irons so much I thought I would give it a try.  My Cleveland would bounce on me sometimes if the sand was wet or I tried to use it on a tight lie Then you get the dreaded skull. I love my 60 degree. So I needed something in between the 50 gap and the 60. I ordered a 56 bent to 55. Which in return also reduced the bounce from 12 to 11 degrees. The sole design will also let me experiment a little more with different shots.

• Like 2

:ping-small: Driver, G400 11* SR Flex

:taylormade-small: 3 Wood, SLDR  HL 17*  R Flex

:taylormade-small: 5 Wood, SLDR 19* R Flex

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, F6 22.5* R Flex

:Sub70: Irons, 699 Pro's S Flex (5 - AW)

:Sub70:  JB Wedge 56*

:cleveland-small: Wedge, CBX 60*

:odyssey-small: Putter, Marksman Fang 35"

1 hour ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

Raw wil rust over time which will increase the spin due to the rougher surface. 

I am pretty sure it has been shown that rust isn't the reason for the additional spin.  The lack of plating makes the grooves a bit sharper which generates the additional spin.  

• Like 5

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
               :titelist-small: 915H 24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :cleveland-small: 588 54-14, 58-12
Putter:  :taylormade-small:TM-180

Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330,   :EVNROLL: ER2.2,  

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

56 minutes ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

I'll add a bit to my price comment above. Like Tom, I was impressed with my 699 Pro irons. Sub 70 had a pretty solid selection of used clubs, making the barely used wedges (basically demos) even cheaper. And then Sub 70 bent them to my desired spec (a degree flat) at no additional charge.

So maybe add personalized customer service to price as a reason to choose one wedge over another.

51 minutes ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

Liked the irons so much I thought I would give it a try.  My Cleveland would bounce on me sometimes if the sand was wet or I tried to use it on a tight lie Then you get the dreaded skull. I love my 60 degree. So I needed something in between the 50 gap and the 60. I ordered a 56 bent to 55. Which in return also reduced the bounce from 12 to 11 degrees. The sole design will also let me experiment a little more with different shots.

I wasn't  trying to make a Sub70 fan forum here guys... Lol. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: SIM2 Max 12° - Accra TZ6 M4

FW Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 17.5° - Fujikura Pro

Utility:    :cobra-small: King Forged 20.5° Utility - Catalyst X

Irons:   image.png.cbfb2d938ea45d82004d9bdeb23cf643.pngD7 Forged GW-5i - Recoils

Wedges:   :callaway-small:  Mac Daddy Forged 52° , 56°

Putter:   :taylormade-small: MySpider X

Cart: image.png.5aa5e9b8c0d6e08a2b12be76a06a07ca.pngOnewheel XR+

3 minutes ago, cnosil said:

I am pretty sure it has been shown that rust isn't the reason for the additional spin.  The lack of plating makes the grooves a bit sharper which generates the additional spin.  

I didn't know that there was a study on that. It would be interesting to read.

I would have thought that the sharp edge of the groove exposed to moisture and oxygen which causes the electrons to rise up and form hydroxyl ions.  These react with the metal to cause the rust. The edge of the groove would be attacked quicker causing a softer edge as rust is softer than the base metal which would break down quicker during use.  But thats my materials background speaking.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Thin2win said:

I wasn't  trying to make a Sub70 fan forum here guys... Lol. 

My 60 is still a Cleveland if that helps. My last 60 was a Cobra.

3 minutes ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

The most wanted 2019 wedge article @GolfSpy MPRlinked in the 2nd post of this thread actually talks about it. 

• Like 1

WITB:

Irons:   image.png.cbfb2d938ea45d82004d9bdeb23cf643.pngD7 Forged GW-5i - Recoils

4 minutes ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

I would have thought that the sharp edge of the groove exposed to moisture and oxygen which causes the electrons to rise up and form hydroxyl ions.  These react with the metal to cause the rust. The edge of the groove would be attacked quicker causing a softer edge as rust is softer than the base metal which would break down quicker during use.  But thats my materials background speaking.

Quick google search; here is one article.

https://www.golfmonthly.com/videos/gear-video/truth-rusty-wedges#:~:text=TaylorMade says%2C and it has,grooves for longer-lasting spin.

• Like 1

Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Most wedges are cast. Therefore, most wedges can only be bent 2 degrees safely. I play my clubs 3 upright and 1" long. I play Ping wedges because I can get them in something besides standard lie and length.

They are the only wedges I've really been able to play. And, I have at least 10 non-ping wedges in the garage to prove my inability to play "standard" wedges, regardless of loft, bounce, head shape, or sole configuration.

Sent from my SM-G950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 1

I just read a few and I stand corrected. I did read one article from Today's Golfer October 2020 that stated the opposite only when applied to chrome. Once the chrome wore through the spin increased. It also stated that today's milling technology is better at imparting spin than the rust. 

I relinquish my opportunity for a cookie. 😪

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

7 minutes ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

I relinquish my opportunity for a cookie. 😪

Never give up on the cookie

• Like 1

WITB:

6 hours ago, Thin2win said:

Tony C might kick me off the forums for this. But I really believe that a standard 588 style wedge has zero difference from one brand to another. I am not talking about the bounce and grind options that make one different from another, I get that . Alsohaving used them, I can attest to the differences between a CBX2 wedge and a 588 clone.

I've used the Sub70, Mac Daddy Forged, Mizuno, Ping, Cleveland, TM and Vokey wedges. Besides for the Vokeys feeling clicky, I don't think I could tell a discernible difference. They are all basically the exact same shape and weight.

I'm looking for a new 54 and 58 right now, and I need someone to explain why any brand is any different than any other. An Anser style putter is an Anser style putter. Without face tech they are only separated by levels of shinny. Aren't basic wedges the same? 

I'm not trying to incite a riot here, just after 4 years of Forums, I need some more education on why I would pick one over the other. I love the Sub70 I have, it replaced some used Mac Daddy Forged wedges. If they were the same finish, I couldn't tell you the difference between them. And looking at wedges in the store this week, I mean its the same wedge in 7 different finishes and at 5 different price points. 

I looked back, and apparently MGS also feels they are the same and warrant no testing, because as far as I can see, there has never been a Most Wanted Wedge test. 

I'll probably just order some more Sub70 because the are the least expensive. But if one of you can convince me there is an actual difference, I will ship you a cookie as a thank you. 

Agree.  A wedge is a wedge.  I love my Mizuno wedges for their soft feel but Im sure part of it is my own brand bias.

• Like 2

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Irons: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 21* and Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 Blue Ion 54*

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

9 minutes ago, Thin2win said:

Never give up on the cookie

It's ok... i just has a Krispy Kreme doughnut.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

It's ok... i just has a Krispy Kreme doughnut.

was it hot?

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, cnosil said:

was it hot?

The most important question asked today

• Like 4

WITB:

10 minutes ago, cnosil said:

was it hot?

Yes, and rasberry filled. 

• Love 1

8 minutes ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

Yes, and rasberry filled. 

That does sound good... 

• Like 1

WITB:

On 2/25/2021 at 2:11 PM, Thin2win said:

Tony C might kick me off the forums for this. But I really believe that a standard 588 style wedge has zero difference from one brand to another. I am not talking about the bounce and grind options that make one different from another, I get that . Alsohaving used them, I can attest to the differences between a CBX2 wedge and a 588 clone.

I've used the Sub70, Mac Daddy Forged, Mizuno, Ping, Cleveland, TM and Vokey wedges. Besides for the Vokeys feeling clicky, I don't think I could tell a discernible difference. They are all basically the exact same shape and weight.

I'm looking for a new 54 and 58 right now, and I need someone to explain why any brand is any different than any other. An Anser style putter is an Anser style putter. Without face tech they are only separated by levels of shinny. Aren't basic wedges the same? 

I'm not trying to incite a riot here, just after 4 years of Forums, I need some more education on why I would pick one over the other. I love the Sub70 I have, it replaced some used Mac Daddy Forged wedges. If they were the same finish, I couldn't tell you the difference between them. And looking at wedges in the store this week, I mean its the same wedge in 7 different finishes and at 5 different price points. 

I looked back, and apparently MGS also feels they are the same and warrant no testing, because as far as I can see, there has never been a Most Wanted Wedge test. 

I'll probably just order some more Sub70 because the are the least expensive. But if one of you can convince me there is an actual difference, I will ship you a cookie as a thank you. 

This may give you some insight.  Looks like the answer is CoG location

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, cnosil said:

This may give you some insight.  Looks like the answer is CoG location

Obviously Matt and Ian were following this thread and wanted to give some input. I still don't think I can justify almost twice the price for an edison over a Sub70. 

Were you sold on this?

WITB:

20 hours ago, JDHolmes said:

Most wedges are cast. Therefore, most wedges can only be bent 2 degrees safely. I play my clubs 3 upright and 1" long. I play Ping wedges because I can get them in something besides standard lie and length.

They are the only wedges I've really been able to play. And, I have at least 10 non-ping wedges in the garage to prove my inability to play "standard" wedges, regardless of loft, bounce, head shape, or sole configuration.

Sent from my SM-G950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Definitely can see why you go with Ping needing those specs. There are a few forged wedges out there that could be made to that spec, but it does look like Pings have the best wet weather spin retention of any brand.  So you get that. 

WITB: