TESTERS WANTED! ×

The Future of MyGolfSpy

GolfSpy_X

• SPY VIP

future-of-mygolfspy

600_light_brown_dots.jpg

MyGolfSpy...Dedicated To The Consumer

2009 was a massive year for MyGolfSpy. And I am honestly proud of it's growth...but it does not surprise me...and that is because there was a need that was met. Which generally leads to growth like MGS has seen. This need being met I am speaking of are the need for websites like MGS and others dedicated solely to the consumer and not ones driven by the major manufacturers ad revenue...which always leads to a shift in control of the content you are allowed to post because of the power they have over the media outlets...money is a powerful thing. They want total control of every piece of content that is published about their company if they are paying your bills. And while I do understand it from their perspective...it is not best for the consumer and it is not what MyGolfSpy is or will ever be about. And this need is true for all industries...consumers are tired of being fed one marketing pitch after another about products that are rarely improvements over their predecessors. And yes we do have sponsors on MyGolfSpy as well...and you will see us highlight products on MyGolfSpy from time to time but these are for companies and products we truly believe in and we feel are doing something worth highlighting. Our main focus will always be on smaller companies putting out great product that also and just as importantly put the customer first. Believe me we have been approached by almost every major golf manufacturer in one way or another about them wanting to have some kind of presence on MyGolfSpy although after explaining our philosophy of being 100% unbiased in our opinions about their products to our readers they seem to lose interest fairly quickly.

A PRIME EXAMPLE OF BIG BUSINESS INFLUENCE & POWER

An email came in today from a fellow writer at another major online golf media outlet that many of you have probably visited which might explain a little bit better about what I am talking about and show you how this industry really works. It might shock you! I will not use his name or the company he was speaking about because I told him I would not.

This friend that was a writer for a major online golf media outlet which was writing about a major golf company who was a key advertiser on their site. Basically he said he felt like a sellout all the time..he was always writing stuff about their equipment to keep them happy and keep them as an advertiser...even though he thought their product was not at all worthy of his praise (this happens in almost every major golf publication). Well...one day he went on to a popular golf forum that he was a member of which was separate from his online golf media outlet and posted his actual feelings about the product. Well the next day he received a violently angry email from a representative from the major golf company telling him NEVER to do anything like that again. And this is the kicker...they then told him to always remember...THEY HAVE PEOPLE WATCHING EVERYWHERE!

Or just the other day I was talking to a high up at another golf company...and he was telling me about his unhappiness with treatment their MAJOR golf company got for the millions of dollars they spent on ads in Golf Digest which also included the "Hot List" Edition. He had received a proof for the article they had written about their product that was to be published in the "Hot List" article and let's just say it was not to his liking. Well they called the writer and said if he didn't make some drastic changes to his opinion and their placing in the list that they would pull all the ad spending from their publication. And guess what....he made the changes.

golf digest hotlist

Hopefully Just The Beginning at MGS

Listen...commercials and advertisements now take up more time of our day then ever before...and people are getting fed up with it. And the majority of these high dollar ads are being done by just a handful of companies which consume smaller companies that are typically the actual technology pioneers in their fields and also the ones more devoted to the consumers happiness and satisfaction. The bottomline is the ONLY thing big business concerns itself with. And there buying power and influences in their respective industries allow them to get away with this and still prosper in the process. This is why we often find ourselves dealing with being put on hold for hours or being transferred from one rep to another to deal with something as small as a return or a phone bill and in the meantime getting nothing resolved or finding ourselves listening to a dial tone on the other end because they accidentally hung up on us. They are basically saying to you, "What are you going do about it? You have no other choice but to deal with it because we are the only ones left to deal with."

And the same is happening in the golf industry...and that is why I started MyGolfSpy. I wanted to have a golf site 100% dedicated to the consumer. My goal is a lofty one and one that might never be reached but it is my passion and I am dedicated to it for the rest of my career. That goal is to change the way an entire industry works when it comes to how golf equipment is perceived by the consumer in the media. Like I said I am proud of our growth but I feel like I have just begun my body of work for my career and there is lots more to do before I will even be slightly content. I have reached many of my goals for 2009 with MGS but I hope this is just the beginning for where it and all the other sites I have planned will go. This is something that has never been done successfully in the industry but I feel the time is right and I hope you all can help spread the word in 2010.

I look forward to getting to know you all better and hearing all your comments and opinions in 2010!

600_light_brown_dots.jpg

#TruthDigest

I will do what I can to spread the word. I tell as many people as I know that play to stop on by and check out the site... Thank you for what you do.

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

I think MGS will face some interesting challenges in trying to balance the following: being able to stay online while not necessarily catering to the big OEMs for sponsorship (we should all be aware that servers and website maintenance aren't free); shining a bigger light on the smaller golf equipment businesses while allowing balanced opinions to be heard about all types of companies and products; and being mindful that the consumer is what drives a site such as this.

MGS's evolution is definitely something to watch and be a part of!

• SPY VIP

Just got the new GD. Lots and lots of adds. Insert for golf in Idaho? I miss the mini lesson booklets instead. Hotlist for gloves, but no Srixon. They have a great players glove. Soft good fitting, not there.

However this forum develops, I have had a great, fun week being part of it. B)

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

• SPY VIP

I think you are right Moe when it comes to most sites in regards to being able to stay online without catering to the BIG OEM's and shining a light more so on the smaller golf equipment companies. Most sites end up taking on advertising from the big boys to stay alive. And I am sure someday you will start to see more and more big OEM's putting ads on the MGS sites as well. As the sites grow more and more want to be a part. Although thankfully a solid year of planning went into my original ideas after selling my other companies. I envisioned all these issues you bring up...I had to make sure that I would be able to survive with or without them right out of the gates. I knew their would be some push back from them if I did what I planned on doing.

I fortunately have built the sites on a model that will never need them for the sites to survive. And I think it is much simpler then most out there are doing actually. I just don't think they went into theirs with as much planning. Many just thought...hey I want to start a forum or a golf site...and it wasn't until later that they actually thought about what the MISSION of their sites were all about.

I knew from day one that the sites had to be about the consumer and I will never let a dollar bill get in my way and cloud my judgement when it comes to telling you guys how I really see it. Yes I might not get the big advertisers that some other sites get but then again in my opinion many of those other sites wont be around much longer because of this same issue. The ones I am speaking of are the ones that put the almightly advertising dollar ahead of their readers. And this formula fortunately for consumers is no longer a long term viable option when it comes to information.

The golf companies are realizing this slowly but surely...they are spending less and less on advertising in magazines and more and more into sites like MGS. They are realizing that this is the way to reach the consumers now but they just are not yet 100% comfortable with letting go of the control over the content. This is why you see less and less articles about equipment in magazines now and more and more on travel...because they know that the golf magazines are a dying breed.

It might be tough like you said Moe but it is the right thing to do...so I am fine with it being tough as long as I can sleep well at night knowing I did my part in speaking the truth.

I think MGS will face some interesting challenges in trying to balance the following: being able to stay online while not necessarily catering to the big OEMs for sponsorship (we should all be aware that servers and site maintenance aren't free); shining a bigger light on the smaller golf equipment businesses while allowing balanced opinions to be heard about all types of companies and products; and being mindful that the consumer is what drives a site such as this.

MGS's evolution is definitely something to watch and be a part of!

#TruthDigest

Lofty, but admirable aspirations mate. Keep it up...

Current Handicap (UK)

Current Bag

Cobra S9.1 10.5 + 3W

Cobra SZ 3I-9I, PW, GW

Vokey 52 & 60

Rife 400 Series Half Mallet

Just got the new GD. Lots and lots of adds. Insert for golf in Idaho? I miss the mini lesson booklets instead. Hotlist for gloves, but no Srixon. They have a great players glove. Soft good fitting, not there.

However this forum develops, I have had a great, fun week being part of it. ;)

They didn't review my Taylor Made Targa Tour glove either. Best and only glove for my money. The thing last forever, and never rips.

Also, keep up the good work MyGolfSpy!

My Golf Spy, a great concept, a great plan, and great execution and follow through! The idea of a golf web site, bringing you real facts over the claims of the companies, their own written reviews and their opinions on what you need. I have always been a fan of "Grass Roots" marketing, well, since we launched our product lines at work in the fashion industry, that's all we have ever done. It works, it's more honest, it's cheaper, allowing companies, web sites, fashion lines, what or whom ever, to operate on a smaller budget, and keep things pure.

People who have read anything I have written on these forums, know I love Myrtle Beach. I just love, love love the area, the courses, the people, the weather, and someday I will be living and working down there! Now, with some many courses, so many web sites and package providers, how are you going to get a true review of a course, or a place to stay, that isn't biased? All the review sites are run by providers who make deals with courses, and push people to them. I have been going down there for 12 years now, and never found a site that had honest reviews, by real players, and where you could interact with the Pros and employees of the courses.

I am now going to plug someone's site:

Myrtle Beach Golf Talk

Now your going to say how is this different, the guy running it works for The Golf desk, a package provider. Well, the site is independent, run as an information exchange area, almost no moderating, no ads, just peoples opinions, reviews and thoughts. Why do I bring this site up? because like MGS, it runs off of a small budget, if any, is the hard work and dream of 1 person to provide accurate information on golf to the public.

Two different sites, using some of the same marketing ideas, different ideas and formats, but some of the same ideas guiding the sites and behind them. They both rely on the people that come to them, the spread of information, the new products, the reviews, the real golfer's experiences and stories.

You don't find things like this in life often, there to help before profit. You never know how good you have it, until it disappears, so lets support MGS and grow it even stronger this year, for next year!

John Barry

Bring the Funk, Back to Golf

The Golfer's Trip

• SPY VIP

Thanks for the comment John. I feel the same as you do in regards to it being a more honest way to build a business of any kind. And it is odd to me that we grow up being told to be honest so much so that it is somewhat stamped in our heads. Although later in life the majority of businesses are based on stretching the truth and often lying to get ahead and people somehow don't see through it. Even with all those years of training growing up. What happens to us?

My Golf Spy, a great concept, a great plan, and great execution and follow through! The idea of a golf web site, bringing you real facts over the claims of the companies, their own written reviews and their opinions on what you need. I have always been a fan of "Grass Roots" marketing, well, since we launched our product lines at work in the fashion industry, that's all we have ever done. It works, it's more honest, it's cheaper, allowing companies, web sites, fashion lines, what or whom ever, to operate on a smaller budget, and keep things pure.

People who have read anything I have written on these forums, know I love Myrtle Beach. I just love, love love the area, the courses, the people, the weather, and someday I will be living and working down there! Now, with some many courses, so many web sites and package providers, how are you going to get a true review of a course, or a place to stay, that isn't biased? All the review sites are run by providers who make deals with courses, and push people to them. I have been going down there for 12 years now, and never found a site that had honest reviews, by real players, and where you could interact with the Pros and employees of the courses.

I am now going to plug someone's site:

Myrtle Beach Golf Talk

Now your going to say how is this different, the guy running it works for The Golf desk, a package provider. Well, the site is independent, run as an information exchange area, almost no moderating, no ads, just peoples opinions, reviews and thoughts. Why do I bring this site up? because like MGS, it runs off of a small budget, if any, is the hard work and dream of 1 person to provide accurate information on golf to the public.

Two different sites, using some of the same marketing ideas, different ideas and formats, but some of the same ideas guiding the sites and behind them. They both rely on the people that come to them, the spread of information, the new products, the reviews, the real golfer's experiences and stories.

You don't find things like this in life often, there to help before profit. You never know how good you have it, until it disappears, so lets support MGS and grow it even stronger this year, for next year!

#TruthDigest

• SPY VIP

Thanks for the comment John. I feel the same as you do in regards to it being a more honest way to build a business of any kind. And it is odd to me that we grow up being told to be honest so much so that it is somewhat stamped in our heads. Although later in life the majority of businesses are based on stretching the truth and often lying to get ahead and people somehow don't see through it. Even with all those years of training growing up. What happens to us?

With a product, I bet it is hard to actually get it right. High quality, low price point. It is easier and cheaper to say it is right than make it right. This, I think, is an added danger if the company already some name recognition. You can produce some lower standard product and have the name carry it along. My folks grew up in Michigan, and to this day, every car they have owned is GM. I have nearly always bought Honda. My aunt actually game mom crap because her kids didn't own GM cars. The difference in quality when I bought the vehicles was obvious. Maybe it is getting better now. All the GM adds at the time talk about how great their cars are, but then why aren't the selling.

Volvo Intorqueo

With a product, I bet it is hard to actually get it right. High quality, low price point. It is easier and cheaper to say it is right than make it right. This, I think, is an added danger if the company already some name recognition. You can produce some lower standard product and have the name carry it along. My folks grew up in Michigan, and to this day, every car they have owned is GM. I have nearly always bought Honda. My aunt actually game mom crap because her kids didn't own GM cars. The difference in quality when I bought the vehicles was obvious. Maybe it is getting better now. All the GM adds at the time talk about how great their cars are, but then why aren't the selling.

Great point Sac, you are 100% correct, it's easier to say it's right, or can add 20 yards to drive, or more forgiving, then to actually make it that way. If everything did what it was supposed to, we wouldn't need Marketing Firms and huge Marketing Roll Outs.

John Barry

The Golfer's Trip

• SPY VIP

Great point Sac, you are 100% correct, it's easier to say it's right, or can add 20 yards to drive, or more forgiving, then to actually make it that way. If everything did what it was supposed to, we wouldn't need Marketing Firms and huge Marketing Roll Outs.

And those firms are not cheap either. No company would spend the money for the adds if they didn't bring in more money.

Volvo Intorqueo

If I am a semi medium sized company, and I am bring a new Driver to market, I would go about it different. First during the process of creating it, after we would have a about 95% done with the process, instead lunching a huge marketing deal, I would bring in a group of high, mid, and low handicappers, and have them give feedback. Once the feed back is put into the product, instead of huge adds, Golf Digest's Hot List..etc, I would start getting the drivers in the hands, free, to the club fitters, the local pros, and the golf stores. Let them hit the club, use it as a demo tool, a sales tool and a marketing tool. Skip the Marketing Middle Men, and go to the customer with the idea. I am sure free drivers in the end, would be less money spent than Marketing it in the usual manner.

John Barry

The Golfer's Trip

• SPY VIP

If I am a semi medium sized company, and I am bring a new Driver to market, I would go about it different. First during the process of creating it, after we would have a about 95% done with the process, instead lunching a huge marketing deal, I would bring in a group of high, mid, and low handicappers, and have them give feedback. Once the feed back is put into the product, instead of huge adds, Golf Digest's Hot List..etc, I would start getting the drivers in the hands, free, to the club fitters, the local pros, and the golf stores. Let them hit the club, use it as a demo tool, a sales tool and a marketing tool. Skip the Marketing Middle Men, and go to the customer with the idea. I am sure free drivers in the end, would be less money spent than Marketing it in the usual manner.

I thought the Burner free six iron program was very crafty. "Our stuff is so good, play it!" I did and I bought the set afterwords...

Volvo Intorqueo

• SPY VIP

Yes, I agree, but I never saw that program.

They are running it again this year. May be out of clubs though.

Here is the link for this year:

http://www.taylormadegolf.com/projectburner/index.aspx

Volvo Intorqueo

They are running it again this year. May be out of clubs though.

Here is the link for this year:

http://www.taylormadegolf.com/projectburner/index.aspx

Signed up, thanks a lot for the link. I am play my 3 year old R7s, love the irons, so if the Burner is a big improvement, I may have to pony up the cash.

John Barry

The Golfer's Trip

I thought the Burner free six iron program was very crafty. "Our stuff is so good, play it!" I did and I bought the set afterwords...

Yeah, it was, and is, a good idea. I just still don't like those irons.

I grew up playing equipment mfg. by Hillerich & Bradsby. it was called Powerbilt

Played them for 20 years....then tried other equipment when i got a good deal. It was called Nicklaus.

Over the years neither of these two mfg. spent any money in advertising or product promotion. They pretty much were never listed in the Hot List, even though the equipment was top notch.

I fully understand what MyGolfSpy is attempting to accomplish. Go for it!

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

Powerbuilt, they still make great clubs, and do marketing what so ever. I love Dynacraft also.

John Barry

The Golfer's Trip

• SPY VIP

Is Lynx golf still around? I remember reading that they were one of the big players at one point, same with Northwestern. I see a ton of these in the thrift stores.

Volvo Intorqueo

MGS, I wanted to thank you for the review of the Dynacraft Blades, I just never see many reviews from these small companies. That is what sets you apart from most publications and Blogs, attention to detail, unbiased reviews and lots of companies everyone doesn't get to hear from the Main Stream Golf Channels.

John Barry

The Golfer's Trip

• SPY VIP

Thanks John...we definitely try to give reviews and highlight all kinds of different products we think could be of value to you guys. I did not know how they would go over at first but we have gotten lots of great emails and comments asking for even more higher end components to be tested. So thanks again.

MGS, I wanted to thank you for the review of the Dynacraft Blades, I just never see many reviews from these small companies. That is what sets you apart from most publications and Blogs, attention to detail, unbiased reviews and lots of companies everyone doesn't get to hear from the Main Stream Golf Channels.

#TruthDigest

There is a company I would to see you do a review on, SubSeventy Golf, an apparel line from the UK, but they are about to open a warehouse and shipping facility in the US. I love their clothes, they are very unique, but I can't find anything else about them.

www.subseventy.com

John Barry

The Golfer's Trip

Very true, very true.

Archived