TESTERS WANTED! ×

buyer beware

shot74@75

Recently I wanted new irons so I began a search in local stores and on the internet for suitable clubs that I could afford.

I choose the MIZUNO MP68 irons because of their look and feel, and my preference for an "old fashioned" blade style iron..

The local shops are all at about $900 bucks, but on the internet they were available from a couple of sources for about $400.

The website looked great offering products from all the big guys-Callaway, Titleist, Mizuno, Taylormade, and even Miura.. With thaT LINEUP HOW CAN YOU GO WRONG, RIGHT???

WRONG.... I bought my clubs and received them in less than a week by DHL air freight from China-WHERE ELSE?

They look beautiful. Each wrapped in plastic and bubble wrapped perfectly. Well, I took them out to play and to brag about my bargain. One of the pros in the shop suggested I take the serial number and ask Mizuno if these are their products. I did and they are not.. They are excellent copies/knockoffs/forgeries/counterfeit or whatever you'd like to call them , but they are not authentic MIZUNO.

The source on the internet for really good looking but fake clubs is GOLFSTOCKSTORE.COM

I hope you won't be suckered like I was. A bargain that appeared to be too good to be true was just that----TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE.

AND I DIDN'T EVEN GET A KISS WITH THIS SCREWING.

They seem to work just fine, but I am an old fart 76 years old, who plays five days a week and play off a 6.4 index, so who knows what a really good player would say. My point is not that the clubs are bad, it's that I got taken on a product that was misrepresented and counterfeit.

and play off a 6.4 index

That's good enough for me! :D

I realized they have free shipping to most countries... that makes it even more suspicious!

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

Well, I would say it was kind of obvious to start with. Why would a site sell some new clubs at less than half the price other places do?

I can understand a price cut when you want to make space for new clubs (the 69 line for example) if you have a lot of old ones in-stock, but maybe something like a $100 price cut now and maybe around $200-$300 by next year when the new line of clubs is already set in every store.

Expecting to get the real thing saving $500 (which is almost 60% off) is having balls of steel.

There are enough reputable places, some which actually are MGS sponsors to buy clubs from them and know you are not getting robbed to try to find a strange place with no reputation to buy them from.

Browsing through the site, you find $400 Titleist D910 Drivers for $184, and $800 Ping G20 irons for only $399. You really didn't smell something fishy going on?

I don't want to say its well deserved because it's never deserved to be cheated, but it does bring a lesson to some about trying to find a bargain too good to be true...

Sorry to hear that Shot74, if its any consolation at least you got them very cheap! I had a friend get some counterfeit Taylor Made irons that he got for perhaps 20% off the normal price. Cheap enough to be a "believable" bargain. They were such good fakes that he didn't know until he broke one and tried to return it to TM.

But really man, that site should have set off big blaring alarm bells in your head!

Ping I20 8.5* - Aldila NV 65g S
Adams XTD Super Hybrid 15* - Stock Fubuki S
Adams DHY 21* - Stock Matrix Ozik White Tie S
Mizuno MP58 4-8 Irons - Fujikura MCI 100 S
SCOR 42,46,50,54,58* - SCOR/KBS Genius S
STX Robert Ingman Envision TR 35", Iomic grip

Sorry to hear that Shot74, if its any consolation at least you got them very cheap! I had a friend get some counterfeit Taylor Made irons that he got for perhaps 20% off the normal price. Cheap enough to be a "believable" bargain. They were such good fakes that he didn't know until he broke one and tried to return it to TM.

But really man, that site should have set off big blaring alarm bells in your head!

I see no way for the consumer to defend himself from falling prey to the counterfeiter. If the OEM's are doing nothing to stop them, your only real defense is to simply stop buying. These counterfeits are already being sold in the open and the OEM's are doing nothing to stop them.

I will probably do better with what I already have and just practice more. The OEM's will undoubtedly begin fighting when they see their sales melting away.

Shambles

1. If it's too good to be true, it usually is.

2. Always do a WHOIS search on the domain name to find out the domain registrant's name and location.

3. Always check for spelling and grammatical errors on the site, that's also a dead giveaway.

4. Do the live chat option and you'll also be able to tell from the operator of that chat's language as well.

Caveat Emptor always applies when buying online, you have to do your own due dilligence when making a purchase. Hopefully you can get your money back and don't have to eat a $400 loss.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

1. If it's too good to be true, it usually is.

2. Always do a WHOIS search on the domain name to find out the domain registrant's name and location.

3. Always check for spelling and grammatical errors on the site, that's also a dead giveaway.

4. Do the live chat option and you'll also be able to tell from the operator of that chat's language as well.

Caveat Emptor always applies when buying online, you have to do your own due dilligence when making a purchase. Hopefully you can get your money back and don't have to eat a $400 loss.

The buyer reports that the clubs apparently play satisfactorily for him. He is simply disappointed that he was left with a set of counterfeits rather than the real thing.

Personally speaking I would just as soon play my old clubs or buy a set of components than be surprised by a set of counterfeits. Price is not the tell all. It's easy to change a price tag. It's really for the OEM's to protect the integrity of their product and if they cannot be bothered to do so, I can't be bothered to work my way through the pitfalls.

Shambles

If you're buying a new set that's recently released within the last year or two at less than 50% of what the price is EVERYWHERE, yeah, I'd say the price is a tell all. MGS posted an article a while back about counterfeits, price was also one of his tells. Again, Caveat emptor.

In The Bag

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

I disagree with the idea that counterfeiting is solely or even mostly a problem that should or even could be dealt with by the OEMs or product designers or manufacturers. What, do you expect Taylor Made to employ a global police force? Operating on who's authority? Would you pay whatever extra a company had to charge to help them ensure their clubs weren't counterfeited, or would you go buy a component club that most likely benefited or borrowed from the technology developed by the OEM?

It seems to me that most OEMs are taking steps to try to help a buyer identify authentic products, things such as serial numbers and authorized dealers etc. There are many places one can shop with little fear of getting a counterfeit and be fairly comfortable knowing that if a counterfeit were purchased that the buyer would be protected.

So I do agree with "buyer beware" as it seems that the only place (at least in the U.S.) one is likely to purchase a counterfeit is online from a source that should be suspect in the first place, whether that be from a discount website or an ebay auction. But the protection and enforcement of counterfeiting laws by necessity falls upon gov't.

I do have one thing I don't like about some OEM's. I reported a few auctions on eBay directly to the OEM. It was for a bag I was going to buy, a special edition, limited bag at that. I knew it was fake after talking with the seller and him having it in 4 colors, when it was only offered in one. All 4 he had were fake, even the one the right color. Everything on it was off from the real one. This particular OEM didn't seem to care and didn't have eBay pull the auctions, simply stated that in order to ensure you're buying authentic product to buy from an authorized retailer. Okay fine, but at least care enough to have a known and reported fake's auction pulled, as it reflects on your brand.

In The Bag

If you're buying a new set that's recently released within the last year or two at less than 50% of what the price is EVERYWHERE, yeah, I'd say the price is a tell all. MGS posted an article a while back about counterfeits, price was also one of his tells. Again, Caveat emptor.

I couldn't agree more. a $500 discount on an iron set is as fishy as it can get.

Unfortunately, the fact "real merchandise" goes for so high prices its what makes people gamble on a bargain and end up feeding the knock-off counterfeit market

I couldn't agree more. a $500 discount on an iron set is as fishy as it can get.

Unfortunately, the fact "real merchandise" goes for so high prices its what makes people gamble on a bargain and end up feeding the knock-off counterfeit market

Well, the consensus seem to think I am a moron for thinking I might be getting a bargain. Mizuno has recently introduced their new MP69 irons -so the thought that MP68's might be marked down seriously is not total insanity. I see huge markdowns on Callaway, Taylormade, Titleist etc. at the major US retailers as soon as a new model is introduced. See the recent ads at Golfsmith, Edwin Watts,Dick's, and other very reputable retail stores. Half the original price is not unusual. There are lots of ads for Talylormade drivers at under $200 when the price was $399 a few months back.

In any even the irons do look great and play superbly, and when I complained to the source they gave me an additional $50 credit-so $335 for a good set of irons-even if counterfeit is still a reasonable deal, I'd say. But I was taken and will be more careful in the future. That is if I live long enough to wear these out and need to replace them. My previous set that these replaced are a set of McGregor Tourney VIP blades that I bought 8 years ago, and had McGregor custom grind for me. I am now 76 so I don't expect to wear out my new/although not real Mizunos.

Well, the consensus seem to think I am a moron for thinking I might be getting a bargain. Mizuno has recently introduced their new MP69 irons -so the thought that MP68's might be marked down seriously is not total insanity. I see huge markdowns on Callaway, Taylormade, Titleist etc. at the major US retailers as soon as a new model is introduced. See the recent ads at Golfsmith, Edwin Watts,Dick's, and other very reputable retail stores. Half the original price is not unusual. There are lots of ads for Talylormade drivers at under $200 when the price was $399 a few months back.

In any even the irons do look great and play superbly, and when I complained to the source they gave me an additional $50 credit-so $335 for a good set of irons-even if counterfeit is still a reasonable deal, I'd say. But I was taken and will be more careful in the future. That is if I live long enough to wear these out and need to replace them. My previous set that these replaced are a set of McGregor Tourney VIP blades that I bought 8 years ago, and had McGregor custom grind for me. I am now 76 so I don't expect to wear out my new/although not real Mizunos.

I certainly don't consider you a moron and would rather congratulate you for being lucky enough to find a set that serves your purpose. I dislike counterfeits as I have had experience with them and found they have limitations, at least the ones I experienced, and still see others struggling with others. However, you were lucky, and I sincerely hope that set serves you well for the future.

Shambles

Thanks for the nice words. You must be the only one that does not think I am an idiot.I am going out today to play----as usual--5 days a week. Keeps me young--sort of.....rained yesterday so I may have to do a second 18 today.just kidding---18 is enough for these old bones.

I don't think you're an idiot. You're not the first and won't be the last to get burned by counterfeits. It is just unfortunate that it happened. I think everyone is just pointing out how and why you could have avoided the mistake is all. Perhaps doing so will save someone else from doing the same thing.

At least you got something you aren't totally disappointed with and plan on using!

Hit 'em straight!

I don't think you're an idiot. I just think you were ill informed. Maybe you've just found this site, as such, you may have missed the article MGS put up. Unfortunately, for us, there is lots of money to be made in the counterfeit department. That's why they counterfeit clubs. I'd also say you could file a claim with paypal (if you paid that way) or with your bank or credit card company and get ALL of your money back. The company that scammed you likely will not want you to send the counterfeits back as they usually don't when they're busted. Then you'd get your money back and get to keep the clubs. I'd also report them to the better business bureau, as it's illegal to sell counterfeit clubs. This way they get stopped, you get your money back for their deception, and it protects other potential victims.

In The Bag

Nobody thinks you are an idiot.

We all make mistakes and fortunately... yours wasn't that bad!

As long as they perform the way you expect them to, they don't break, don't rust, you shoot low scores... then it's all good, isn't it?

But thanks to you, other members are informed and it can prevent them from making the same mistake in the future!

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

I think those are GREAT suggestions RB7, I'm embarrassed I didn't think of that.

Well guys and girls I played today with my new phony Mizuno Mp68 irons and had a lovely 78 only 3s 4s and 5s on the card not a 6 in sight, nor a 2 , but there were two birdies and a bunch of pars, and one of the birds was on the #1 handicap hole........so I am happy today... Tomorrow? we'll see.

Archived