Does anyone here use Jumbo/Oversize grips? I just tried them and have some insights and questions

I just ordered some (15) JumboMax Ultralight Medium grips to try out. I've played mid size grips and standard grips with two wraps predominately but I'm also in a tinkering mood as well as experiencing some arthritis in the hands. I was originally planning on trying out some Winn oversize Dri-Tacs but decided to just go with the jumbo max's. I'm hoping for the increased consistency a lot of people claim as well as a more comfortable grip. Fingers crossed that this doesn't end up as an expensive experiment...

OP, as to your lack of feeling I've read a lot of reviews about that sensation with the Winn grips. You could probably alleviate that if you went with something like a Jumbo Tour velvet or a similar oversize rubber grip...

• Like 1

:ping-small: G410 Plus Driver, Ping Tour 173-65 Regular

:ping-small: G410 5 wood, Ping Tour 173-65 Regular

:ping-small: G410 Crossover 3 Iron, Alta CB 70 Regular

:ping-small: G410 Irons 4-LW Project X LZ 5.5

:scotty-small:   Phantom X 12

:titelist-small: Pro V1x Yellow

:Arccos:

• 2 months later...

Does a longer ring than index come into play at all for grip sizing. Assuming as shown in the picture above the distance from tip of ring to palm seems to be the method of sizing grip diameter.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue Sub Zero 10.5* Oban Kiyoshi Gold tipped 1" 44.5" NDMC Mid

4w: :callaway-small: Epic flash Oban Kiyoshi Gold tipped 2" 42.5" NDMC Mid

3-PW: :mizuno-small:  MP-18, 3i FLYhi MMC, 4-6i MMC, 7-PW MB, KBS C-taper Lite X-stiff NDMC Mid

Wedges: :titelist-small:  SM7 49*F, 54*D, 59*M KBS C-taper Lite X-stiff NDMC Mid

Putter:  Lajosi Sensor Breakthrough Golf Tour Stability Shaft 34" SuperStroke GTR 1.0

Ball: :Snell:MTB-X

I might give them a try.  I was swinging a hammer sideways last night, jus to “stay loose” and it was super easy to get the thing back to square.  Might see if Stanley makes golf grips… 😂

Im moving closer to full Bryson… except the extreme jackedness, battling with BK, hitting the ball 400 yards, winning majors, and pretty much everything else that he does…… 😂😂😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I tried JumboMax JMX Ultralite X-Large (+3/8") grips on my driver and a single iron to test them out.  I found that the ball didn't curve much, if any.  However, I really struggled to hit to my intended targets and ended up a 2-way miss.  Either a straight push or a straight pull.  I'm sure the push was from the size of the grip and the pull was my subconscious trying to correct, only to end up over correcting.  I also hated how heavy the club head felt afterwards.  The grips are way too light.  I didn't weight mine, but there is no way mine was 50 grams.  I went from a 52 gram Golf Pride with a swing weight of D5 for the club I tried it on, to the allegedly 50 gram JMX with a D8 swing weight.  Anyway, they weren't for me.

• Like 1

Sun Mountain C130-S / Titleist TSi4 8.25* PX HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 70 TX / Titleist TSi3 14.25* PX HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 80 TX / New Level NLU-01 18* PX HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5 / New Level 902 Forged 4-PW DG TI X100 / Vokey SM8 50,54,58 DGS200 / Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2

Humble, TX / Right Handed / 10 Handicap / 37.5" 6i @ 61.5* Lie

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Anyone reading this thread, I would also suggest you look into the Bionic golf gloves.  The one I use is Bionic GGNCMLML Men's StableGrip with Natural Fit Golf Glove, Left Hand, Cadet Medium/Large , White.  These gloves have a bit more padding in the fingers, heel pad and thumb pad.  The idea  is you get a firmer grip without having to grip harder.   I have been using them for about 2 seasons, now and will probably never go back.   I have a launch monitor in the garage and some weeks I might hit 500+ shots.  I haven't worn out my "practice glove"-- an older gamer that I retired.   I rotate 2 on my bag for when I play.  They are synthetic (edit:  actually, real leather, but washable) , but the feel is pretty darn good.   OH!, and you can throw them in the washer to clean out all the dirt and sweat.   They wear like steel.     Overall:  I like the feel... I don't get blisters... I don't have wrist, hand or finger pain (62 yrs young).   And I hit a LOT of golf balls.  Hundreds a week in addition to playing 2 or more rounds.    I would definitely give that a try as an alternative to bigger grips on your clubs.  You might find you like it, too.   

Edited by saz0418
corrected that the glove is synthetic... actually its real leather, but can be washed and air dried
  • Like 1

I switched to the large size Dri-Tac LT (low taper) because I am starting to have arthritis pain in the middle fingers of my right hand. First thing I stopped doing was taking much of a divot. Most of the time I now strip the grass at ground level. But switching to a fat soft grip felt really good to me. The softness of the grip really takes a lot of vibration of the shot. I was originally worried fatter grips would mean slicing for me. But that has not happened. What I truly want to try is the JumboMax grip. A member who was a college baseball player and has arthritis pain when he hits the driver, showed me his grip. It was massive! He liked it because he said it felt more like holding a bat instead of golf club. He is a low handicapper. So come on MyGolfSpy ... do some tests on things us senior golfers need (Harvey Penick used to refer to aged golfers as "Seasoned Golfers"). Arthritic / jumbo grips, test them with people who have hand and/or wrist pain. But then what about arthritis gloves? Bionics has a glove that has pads on it to allow for lighter grip pressure and less impact pain. But there are other styles of arthritic gloves that actually warm hands or simple tight fitting gloves ... the goal is to reduce swelling of the hands and fingers during a round. But from what I have read it all comes down to personal preferance ... like a majority of golf equipment.

Associate USGTF
Certified TPI - lvl 1

WITB....
Driver: 1998 Titleist 975, 9.5°, S Ultralight Graphite, DriTec LT 1/8 Over
(everyone asks if I’m hitting a 3 wood)

3 Wood: 1998 Titleist 975F, 14.5°, S Ultralight Fairway, DriTec LT Over

Hybrids: 2019 Calloway Apex, 3 & 4, Catalyst 70 - 6.0, Super Stroker Jumbo

Irons: 2019 Calloway Apex Pro black, 5-PW, Catalyst 100 - 6.0, Super Stroker Jumbo

Wedges: 2019 Calloway PM-grind, 56° & 60°, KBS steel, Green Cap

Putter: Vintage Ping Anser w/sound slot

I have moved to midsize with 3 wraps to move it between mid and jumbo.  I do not use a glove and only use corded grips for that reason.  First - I cannot use a standard grip to save my life.  My fingernails dig into my palm, etc.  I would use a Cadet Large glove so pretty standard large hand but nothing crazy.  I guess a regular grip is for a midsize or regular glove.  I guess the not using a glove probably makes me want a larger grip.

The main difference I notice is my hands hurt less during a round and I'm more consistent.  It takes left out of play a bit although I can still get handsy.  I would love to have a few hours on a monitor to see what I do with mid, mid-jumbo, jumbo, and that smaller super jumbo that is one step bigger.  I personally think I'll end up with a normal jumbo grip but until I can test it, ???

• Like 1

i210, 10.5* M4 @ 44.5", X, TEE 18* ladies edition, two ball, Righty, North of North, Currently stuck in the 80s...

On 7/12/2021 at 5:01 PM, Clayton said:

I have moved to midsize with 3 wraps to move it between mid and jumbo.  I do not use a glove and only use corded grips for that reason.  First - I cannot use a standard grip to save my life.  My fingernails dig into my palm, etc.  I would use a Cadet Large glove so pretty standard large hand but nothing crazy.  I guess a regular grip is for a midsize or regular glove.  I guess the not using a glove probably makes me want a larger grip.

The main difference I notice is my hands hurt less during a round and I'm more consistent.  It takes left out of play a bit although I can still get handsy.  I would love to have a few hours on a monitor to see what I do with mid, mid-jumbo, jumbo, and that smaller super jumbo that is one step bigger.  I personally think I'll end up with a normal jumbo grip but until I can test it, ???

Definitely standard grips are too small for you if your nails were digging into your hand. I used to use 1/2 cord and they were tough on my bare hands. Amazon carries a glove that is 1-size-fits-all. Sounds crazy but it works. Best fitting glove I’ve ever had. I also agree that the Bionic glove sounds like a winner for relaxing your grip force. In the old days they used to tell us to grip the club like it was an open tube of toothpaste. I want to try several JumboMax grips but no one stocks them or has them to swing. So me and a buddy are getting 4 different types and styles to put on some old clubs. It’s gonna cost us $100 just to try them. Maybe I should invest in a grip removal device.

Associate USGTF
Certified TPI - lvl 1

WITB....

Irons: 2019 Calloway Apex Pro black, 5-PW, Catalyst 100 - 6.0, Super Stroker Jumbo

4 hours ago, B_R_A_D_Y said:

Definitely standard grips are too small for you if your nails were digging into your hand. I used to use 1/2 cord and they were tough on my bare hands. Amazon carries a glove that is 1-size-fits-all. Sounds crazy but it works. Best fitting glove I’ve ever had. I also agree that the Bionic glove sounds like a winner for relaxing your grip force. In the old days they used to tell us to grip the club like it was an open tube of toothpaste. I want to try several JumboMax grips but no one stocks them or has them to swing. So me and a buddy are getting 4 different types and styles to put on some old clubs. It’s gonna cost us $100 just to try them. Maybe I should invest in a grip removal device.

I use the pure grips air installation tool. Once you clean the old tape off your clubs they take minutes to install and the best thing is if it’s a little crooked you can easily align them better with a squirt of air. You can also move a grip to another club in a pinch or test another grip without destroying them. So nice. https://www.puregrips.com/products/pure-green-attachment

• Like 2

i210, 10.5* M4 @ 44.5", X, TEE 18* ladies edition, two ball, Righty, North of North, Currently stuck in the 80s...

I was looking at something similar at Golf Works last night. I don’t have a compressor. Might be time to get on. I really don’t want to use the needle & bunch of solvent method. 

Associate USGTF
Certified TPI - lvl 1

WITB....

I have small hands and poor shoulder flexibility because of lifting weights so I feel I am limited to std. grips as larger grips don't seem to allow my to get my hands in a good connected position. I quit using gloves because I wore them out and switched to Golf Pride Tour Wraps because they are easy on the hands.

My brother plays oversize grips and swings with a lot of power. I believe some golfer's technique is not determined by the grip size, while to others it can mean everything.

TM R7, Big Bertha 2, 4, 7w, DCI 990B 5-P, L, Bionik 105