TESTERS WANTED! ×

Club Fitting for Seniors: Easier or Harder?

I'm recently retired and looking at potentially updating my clubs.   I live in Key West, Florida, so most club fitters are 150 miles away in America!   

Club fitting is not totally new to me.  Over the years I've had several.  The latest was last Summer in Orlando.  Unfortunately, before the fitting I went on Disney's Test Track ride and hurt my neck.  As a result, I don't feel it was totally representative of my "normal" swing.

I am in my mid-60's, have several physical limitations but still have been able to maintain a 10.5 index.  I tell my golf partners that I've become the golfer I used to hate when I was young!  Drive it about 190 yards in the fairway, wood short of the green, chip up and make the putt for par.  To make sure I get the right new set of irons, I want to revisit going to a fitter in South Florida (this time with no roller coasters).  

Here's my question.  As a senior with limited flexibility and length, are we easier or harder to fit?   The argument for easier would include limited swing speed and fewer shaft options (just look at the significantly short list of custom senior shafts for Ping G425 irons).  For harder:  The desire to squeeze out just a few more yards so you can hit a higher lofted club (not fairway woods) to small green, higher dependency on wedges and their range of options (lofts, grinds, etc.) and getting the optimum spacing between irons.  

I just thought I'd throw this out as my first real thread to see if everyone can give me a little insight.

Thank you in advance!

Golf2Much

Ping G430 Max driver 10.5 degrees with an Alta Quick45 gram senior shaft
Callaway Epic 3 wood, Project X Evenflow Green 45 gram senior shaft  
Callaway GBB Epic Heavenwood, with a Mitsubishi Diamana 50 gram senior shaft
Ping G 20.5 degree 7 wood, with a stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Ping G 26 degree hybrid, stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Callaway Paradym X irons, 7-AW with Aldila Ascent Blue 50 graphite shafts
Edison wedges:  50, 55 and 60 degree, KBS Tour Graphite A flex shafts
Putters:  L.A.B. Direct Force 2.1 putter, 34.5" long, 67 degrees lie

2022 MGS Tester:  Shot Scope Pro XL+ with H4  

We are pretty much the same person...age, physical limitations, driving distance etc. 

I wouldn’t classify it as being harder or easier to fit someone like us. I would say we potentially have as much to gain as a younger more athletic player. 

I have had 3 very good fittings in the past 2 years.  And none of them viewed me as “well there isnt much we can do to help you”. 

In fact the results were surprising. At one of them, he wanted to know why i had a Sr flex in my driver.  I told him, i chose that because I’m old 😎.  Turned out i needed an R and i was actually closer to S than Sr. 

In one of the other fittings, he asked why I had 1” over irons. I said becuse thsts what i was fit into several years ago.  My swing had changed and my club at delivery was actually suited to standard.  

So the point is, just because we may have a slower swing speed, and don’t bomb it 290 plus, doesn’t mean, we can’t benefit from a fitting. 

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

I'm a bit older and have had 2 fittings over the last 3 years. I can't comment on whether it's easier or not but can tell you it make a positive difference in my game. FYI I did go to an independent fitter vs. a big box store.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

Swing speed has nothing to do with the ease of the fitting, the fact you have limitations makes the fitters job a challenge. Much like a golfer with an overly sensitive feel for a golf club. You can neither see or feel what is going on with the golfer until they are in the both making contact, GIVING FEED BACK, and reacting to change in the equipment. 

Unfortunately you are also in the that part of the career in golf that is akin to just starting. where age related issue may cause more frequent changes in gear. Just as a younger golfer will experience a growth spurt and strength, you my friend may experience just the opposite. 

So, take a day, travel the 150 miles enjoy the fitting experience, learn what it is you need, make an informed decision on yout next golf purchase and above all, have fun and enjoy the retirement.

Driver - 44.5" 5.0 flex 10.5 deg Graphite Design XC 6S GP MCC4+ 1 deg closed

Irons - 5-pw, GW stnd length 5.0 flex same grip 1 deg flat. Type low medium offset cavity back, no diggers

Wedges - 56 and 60 tour grind wedge spinner and mcc4+ grip 2 flat 10 and 8 in bounce

Putter - Makefield VS LH

Ball - truvis

Carried in a Sun Mountain C-130 USA bag - BE PROUD.

HC - LH but 85 is a good number, playing in Ohio.

1 hour ago, McGolf said:

Swing speed has nothing to do with the ease of the fitting, the fact you have limitations makes the fitters job a challenge. Much like a golfer with an overly sensitive feel for a golf club. You can neither see or feel what is going on with the golfer until they are in the both making contact, GIVING FEED BACK, and reacting to change in the equipment. 

Unfortunately you are also in the that part of the career in golf that is akin to just starting. where age related issue may cause more frequent changes in gear. Just as a younger golfer will experience a growth spurt and strength, you my friend may experience just the opposite. 

So, take a day, travel the 150 miles enjoy the fitting experience, learn what it is you need, make an informed decision on yout next golf purchase and above all, have fun and enjoy the retirement.

Words of wisdom from one of the experts. 

If you guys aren't familiar with Jim, he's a very respected club builder/fitter in Ohio.   He publishes a lot of stuff on YouTube that is enjoyable to watch.  His What's In My Drawer's is a question/answer type thing where he answers questions from golfers, and also adds in some chit chat to keep it personal and light.

As for Club Reviews here's one on the D9 since it might be a club that you might be interested in. 

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

On 2/26/2021 at 1:45 PM, Golf2Much said:

I'm recently retired and looking at potentially updating my clubs.   I live in Key West, Florida, so most club fitters are 150 miles away in America!   

Club fitting is not totally new to me.  Over the years I've had several.  The latest was last Summer in Orlando.  Unfortunately, before the fitting I went on Disney's Test Track ride and hurt my neck.  As a result, I don't feel it was totally representative of my "normal" swing.

I am in my mid-60's, have several physical limitations but still have been able to maintain a 10.5 index.  I tell my golf partners that I've become the golfer I used to hate when I was young!  Drive it about 190 yards in the fairway, wood short of the green, chip up and make the putt for par.  To make sure I get the right new set of irons, I want to revisit going to a fitter in South Florida (this time with no roller coasters).  

Here's my question.  As a senior with limited flexibility and length, are we easier or harder to fit?   The argument for easier would include limited swing speed and fewer shaft options (just look at the significantly short list of custom senior shafts for Ping G425 irons).  For harder:  The desire to squeeze out just a few more yards so you can hit a higher lofted club (not fairway woods) to small green, higher dependency on wedges and their range of options (lofts, grinds, etc.) and getting the optimum spacing between irons.  

I just thought I'd throw this out as my first real thread to see if everyone can give me a little insight.

Thank you in advance!

Golf2Much

You just described my game and I'm 73.  Fitters are not close to me either, so making sure I have the best clubs for me mostly comes from trial and error.  I had a fitting from True Spec 18 months ago, and they couldn't come up with recommendations that would make a significant impact on my distance or accuracy over my gamers.  Well, it saved me some money, but it didn't make me feel better because I feel that I have more room for improvement in my game.  I've made some swing improvements during that time, so maybe I need to change clubs now... or maybe not.  

As for being harder or easier to fit, I think it's easy for a fitter to dismiss a senior golfer as "well, there's not much to gain here" and brush them off.   I'm sure that not all fitters would do that, but I have experienced it.  The fitter may not even have a range of shafts as options.  

Senior golfers generally hit the ball reasonably straight; they have to because they don't hit it very far and can't afford to be too far off the fairway!  Trying to squeeze out a little more distance is hard for limited swing speeds, at least in my opinion.  Distance gains are more likely to come from swing improvements than club fitting, but if I could find a magic driver combination that would give me 20 more yards, I would gladly pay a premium price for it.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Thank you all for your insight.  

I told my wife this afternoon that I wanted another shot at a club fitting in South Florida.  She wants to combine our trip to America to include furniture shopping.  I guess that's a fair tradeoff.  This time I have to make sure that I don't hurt myself on amusement park rides before the session!

I am glad I found MyGolfSpy  to get insight on the latest equipment and advice from this forum.

Cheers!

Like Kenny & Rob stated age, swing speed and physical limitations don’t matter. If you’re getting new sticks you WILL benefit from a fitting.
I’m 74 and when/if I get new clubs I’m getting fit.....again.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

• 1 month later...

Keep in mind Tom Wishons advice. As we age and swing speed slows down, the gaps between our clubs should increase. Instead of 4 degree, try 6 degrees between your irons/hybrids. The thought is that slower swing speeds need a larger differential in order to see realistic differences in distance.

Sent from my SM-G988U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Wishon clubs, Odyssey CS stroke lab putter

If you’re a Veteran, contact PXG and schedule a fitting at TPC Tampa Bay. Prices and clubs couldn’t be better. I am 70 and really love the the 0211 Driver.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

Thanks Fozcycle for the lead.  Not a vet.  Just too young for Vietnam and too old for everything else. 

I think I've prioritized my fittings to putter (never had one and just interested to know what I've used is helping or hurting), irons next and then driver.  I'll keep PXG in mind, especially if I get up to America any time soon from Key West.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/1/2021 at 9:04 AM, McGolf said:

Good to see you here to share your experience.  Always enjoyed watching your videos to learn and to refresh. 

Yes, it's unfortunate when we aged and on the way to the reverse route of our growing spur.   Only, the reverse route is much shorter and the travel is faster.

If one thinks the toddler change their shoe sizes often, try fitting a senior on their golf equipment.  Hanging on to what one still have left and learn to enjoy the game without your A game will bring more happiness on the links.

One biggest set back to me personally, was my vision.  When the eye sight goes, the game suffers.  The rest of the aches and pain are minor comparing to the degenerated vision.