Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

3 Wood Options

fixyurdivot

Having recently come from a Warbird 3w with stock Graphalloy shaft to my current G400 SFT with Alta CB shaft, it's been a very positive shift in hit-ability and accuracy. My only complaint with the current club is distance which is producing 185-195 carry and generally not any roll. I've had a good many holes that need that carry to be 10-20 yards longer to avoid front ball catching aprons or clear water.  The added distance from the new KBD TD driver shaft will help this a little, but I still feel like I'm not getting enough out of my mini-boom stick...but maybe I am?? 🤔  

Unfortunately at my recent TS fitting, we could not test my G400 with the Diamana Thump 65R shaft that produced best results with the TSi2 3w (15*).  That was yielding about 10 yards additional carry. Yea, I know, "go buy the TSi and that shaft and call it a day", but I'm not ready to jump there yet.  First, I'm not so sure my G400 with an upgraded shaft won't get me there, second, that's a hefty price, and finally, there are so many other 3w make/models to consider.

I've not messed with the G400's loft setting, and only played it at nominal 16*.  It can be adjusted to 15*.  I see that a number of mfg.'s are offering much lower lofted 3w's (13*) and larger volume heads. While I do use my 3w off the tee, my primary use is fairway.  The G400 was available in the "Stretch" version and a nominal 13* that can be changed to 14*.

But is reducing loft the best direction?  Many argue (like drivers) that based on swing speed and AoA, more distance can be gained by playing a higher loft and getting more ball height.  My fitting data had my current 3w ball height at 77 ft. and the TSi/Thump at 79 ft.

Anyone been in the same boat; looking for some additional 3 wood distance?  What did you test and what did you end up with?

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

I couldn’t hit 3w off the deck to save my life and used a 5w to get help with the launch and make it easier to hit. During a trip to ust I was fit into the 3hl from TM and it made it much easier to hit and gave me the distance to fill that gap in my bag. The 16.5-17 loft works well for me. I’ve also gone with 3w length shaft in a 5w which worked well during a g400 fitting.

Your peak height seems low for a 3w. Do you now what your launch, spin, aoa and descent angle were from your titleist fitting as well as your current setup?

going less loft off the deck can be detrimental if one doesn’t have the swing speed and right approach to hitting the ball as it won’t get in the air 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

I know this may not help but I went from a bunch of different 3 woods to a Srixon F85 5 wood with an Elements Chrome 7F4. Even at the shorter than standard 5 wood length, I still manage more distance (both carry and total) than any of the 3 woods I had before it.  

What is in my Sun Mountain C-130 bag or Jones MyGolfSpy bag

Driver:    :cobra-small: Dark speed LS 8* set to -1.5* with an Attas Daaas 4x shaft @ 45”

Fairway: :srixon-small: F85 3 wood with a XPhplexx Agera X @ 42.5”

:srixon-small: F85 5 wood with a UST Elements Chrome 7F5 @ 41.5"

Driving Iron: :ping-small: Rapture 2-Iron 

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS Pros 4-PW with Steelfiber I95s 

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50* T grind with Steelfiber i110s

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 46* zz wedge shaft

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 E grind 54* zz wedge shaft

Putters: :L.A.B.: Mezz.1 34” 69* lie

:EVNROLL: EV5.1 black 33.5” 69* lie

Super hybrid

Follow my journey to enjoying golf and going low

Driver: :callaway-small:   Epic Max LS :Fuji:Ventus Black 6x 44.5" 

3wHL: :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS 75x  Tensei AV Blue w/ xlink

7w: :callaway-small:Apex UW 21* MMT 80S

DI: Caley 01X 18* with KBS PGH Stiff plus 95g

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long, Soft stepped, MOI matched

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore 

Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 69*/35" in blue 

Ball:  TBD

Shot Tracking: :ShotScope:

Bag: Vessel VLX 2.0

Grip: Lamkin Sonar +  Midsize 

My Reviews:

Caley 01X Driving Iron Review 2023

Max Swing Speed Training and Speed Progress: Current Speed 120 in the MGS Speed Challenge (updated 3/15/23)

:1332069271_TommyArmour:TAIII #2  Review here: TAIII Impact #2 Putter )

:cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)

th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  2019 Unofficial Review

3 hours ago, fixyurdivot said:

Having recently come from a Warbird 3w with stock Graphalloy shaft to my current G400 SFT with Alta CB shaft, it's been a very positive shift in hit-ability and accuracy. My only complaint with the current club is distance which is producing 185-195 carry and generally not any roll. I've had a good many holes that need that carry to be 10-20 yards longer to avoid front ball catching aprons or clear water.  The added distance from the new KBD TD driver shaft will help this a little, but I still feel like I'm not getting enough out of my mini-boom stick...but maybe I am?? 🤔  

Unfortunately at my recent TS fitting, we could not test my G400 with the Diamana Thump 65R shaft that produced best results with the TSi2 3w (15*).  That was yielding about 10 yards additional carry. Yea, I know, "go buy the TSi and that shaft and call it a day", but I'm not ready to jump there yet.  First, I'm not so sure my G400 with an upgraded shaft won't get me there, second, that's a hefty price, and finally, there are so many other 3w make/models to consider.

I've not messed with the G400's loft setting, and only played it at nominal 16*.  It can be adjusted to 15*.  I see that a number of mfg.'s are offering much lower lofted 3w's (13*) and larger volume heads. While I do use my 3w off the tee, my primary use is fairway.  The G400 was available in the "Stretch" version and a nominal 13* that can be changed to 14*.

But is reducing loft the best direction?  Many argue (like drivers) that based on swing speed and AoA, more distance can be gained by playing a higher loft and getting more ball height.  My fitting data had my current 3w ball height at 77 ft. and the TSi/Thump at 79 ft.

Anyone been in the same boat; looking for some additional 3 wood distance?  What did you test and what did you end up with?

I went from an aero burner 3wood. To the m3 3 wood. I finally ended up with the TS3 3 wood with a Fuji speeder shaft. It’s actually 16 deg like yourself. I originally tried to lift it down but wasn’t in love with the numbers and the overall feel. My yardage decreased and I had a harder time getting the spin down. Playing it straight up I’m averaging 225-230 carry with up to 15 yards of rollout 

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 Plus 9deg Kai' li Red

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 13deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 15deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 4-PW Nippon Modus 120s

:vokey-small: SM8 54 and 58deg Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex

:titleist-small: Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Titleist ProV1

:ping-small: Hoofer Stand Bag

Stewart Q Follow Electric Caddie

:callaway-small: 300 PRO Rangefinder

Official Nippon Regio B+ Driver Shaft Review

Official Stewart Q Follow Review

3 hours ago, blackngold_blood said:

I know this may not help but I went from a bunch of different 3 woods to a Srixon F85 5 wood with an Elements Chrome 7F4. Even at the shorter than standard 5 wood length, I still manage more distance (both carry and total) than any of the 3 woods I had before it.  

I don't have fitting data numbers on my G400 5w (also an SFT), but my on course and range numbers show it only about 10 yards shorter than the 3w. That's why I'm asking/looking... really hope to find the added distance. I've been hunting for some used shaft options, maybe something close to the Thump 65 profile, that I can test and not bust the bank.  But that got me to wondering whether the G400 SFT is more the limiting factor and that I might need to consider one of the 3+ make/models? 🤔

3 hours ago, rbsiedsc said:

Super hybrid

My last look/testing of hybrids was with the G410 and, for some reason, they just don't work for me.  Which specific make/model are you thinking?

2 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

My last look/testing of hybrids was with the G410 and, for some reason, they just don't work for me.  Which specific make/model are you thinking?

Callaway super hybrid. Check out the unofficial  review thread

Follow my journey to enjoying golf and going low

Driver: :callaway-small:   Epic Max LS :Fuji:Ventus Black 6x 44.5" 

3wHL: :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS 75x  Tensei AV Blue w/ xlink

7w: :callaway-small:Apex UW 21* MMT 80S

DI: Caley 01X 18* with KBS PGH Stiff plus 95g

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long, Soft stepped, MOI matched

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore 

Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 69*/35" in blue 

Ball:  TBD

Shot Tracking: :ShotScope:

Bag: Vessel VLX 2.0

Grip: Lamkin Sonar +  Midsize 

My Reviews:

Caley 01X Driving Iron Review 2023

Max Swing Speed Training and Speed Progress: Current Speed 120 in the MGS Speed Challenge (updated 3/15/23)

:1332069271_TommyArmour:TAIII #2  Review here: TAIII Impact #2 Putter )

:cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)

th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  2019 Unofficial Review

9 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

I don't have fitting data numbers on my G400 5w (also an SFT), but my on course and range numbers show it only about 10 yards shorter than the 3w. That's why I'm asking/looking... really hope to find the added distance. I've been hunting for some used shaft options, maybe something close to the Thump 65 profile, that I can test and not bust the bank.  But that got me to wondering whether the G400 SFT is more the limiting factor and that I might need to consider one of the 3+ make/models? 🤔

It is possible that the Thump shaft just agrees with you

What is in my Sun Mountain C-130 bag or Jones MyGolfSpy bag

Driver:    :cobra-small: Dark speed LS 8* set to -1.5* with an Attas Daaas 4x shaft @ 45”

Fairway: :srixon-small: F85 3 wood with a XPhplexx Agera X @ 42.5”

:srixon-small: F85 5 wood with a UST Elements Chrome 7F5 @ 41.5"

Driving Iron: :ping-small: Rapture 2-Iron 

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS Pros 4-PW with Steelfiber I95s 

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50* T grind with Steelfiber i110s

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 46* zz wedge shaft

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 E grind 54* zz wedge shaft

Putters: :L.A.B.: Mezz.1 34” 69* lie

:EVNROLL: EV5.1 black 33.5” 69* lie

34 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

It sounds like either strike is the issue or you don’t have enough speed to get the ball in the air and on the right launch with the right spin. Not sure if it’s the head or the shaft

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

4 minutes ago, blackngold_blood said:

It is possible that the Thump shaft just agrees with you

Well the Thump, like the KBS TD driver shaft, is not a counter-balance design.  That the fitter moved me away from these (Alta CB's) suggests something. I'm still doing a little research on the whole CB shaft thing... and, as seems typically the case, a good start can be found in our thread archives.  It sounds like CB's are best suited for smooth transition swings.

Counter balance shafts anyone? - Boom Sticks - MyGolfSpy Forum

Counter Balanced Driver Shafts are Hot..Again! - True Fit Clubs

Just now, fixyurdivot said:

Well the Thump, like the KBS TD driver shaft, is not a counter-balance design.  That the fitter moved me away from these (Alta CB's) suggests something. I'm still doing a little research on the whole CB shaft thing... and, as seems typically the case, a good start can be found in our thread archives.  It sounds like CB's are best suited for smooth transition swings.

Counter balance shafts anyone? - Boom Sticks - MyGolfSpy Forum

Counter Balanced Driver Shafts are Hot..Again! - True Fit Clubs

I normally don’t like the cb shafts in the fw I tried a hzrdus yellow in one and the feel was off. Smothering with a medium to stiff tip usually works better. 

2 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

I normally don’t like the cb shafts in the fw I tried a hzrdus yellow in one and the feel was off. Smothering with a medium to stiff tip usually works better. 

Any suggested prior year make/model options that would be similar to the Thump 65?

image.png.0aa2ba815a9fae20b9da6592db5c80ac.png

Also, when you say "strike" issue, are you meaning where on the clubface I'm contacting, AoA, etc.?  Based on my range/course contact marks, I tend to catch them just slightly toe side of center.

19 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

Any suggested prior year make/model options that would be similar to the Thump 65?

image.png.0aa2ba815a9fae20b9da6592db5c80ac.png

Also, when you say "strike" issue, are you meaning where on the clubface I'm contacting, AoA, etc.?  Based on my range/course contact marks, I tend to catch them just slightly toe side of center.

Staying in the 65-70g weight would probably be the way to go and for shafts something like evenflow riptide, Fujikura vistpro, tensei blue.

if you could find an Accra tz5 or 6. I have the 5 in my m5 head and that’s not leaving the bag

Regarding strike both aoa and where on the face. You are going to give up some yards out on the toe with the fw and launch. 

6 hours ago, fixyurdivot said:

IMO, the best 3-wood is a 5-wood.

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

24 minutes ago, BadgerGolfer said:

IMO, the best 3-wood is a 5-wood.

Seems a good number of folks share your opinion.  If I can find a 5w and shaft that gets me the yardage I describe above that would work too.

3 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

Seems a good number of folks share your opinion.  If I can find a 5w and shaft that gets me the yardage I describe above that would work too.

If you can find a 2016 Tm 3hl i think it what you looking for. Some other good options are titleist 917 16.5 or even a ts2 Tm m5 5w (this is a hot face). I don’t have any experience with the Callaway or Cobra models to recommend any. 

I picked up a TaylorMade SLDR and didn't see a big difference from what I was using at the time. Then I came across a TaylorMade SLDR HL (High Launch) and that made a big difference. This is non adjustable but at 17 degrees. I also carry the SLDR 5 wood which is at 19 degrees and this club is my normal go to for the long fairway shots except on certain long par 5's. But I would be lying if I said I wasn't interested in the Sub-70 3 wood. 

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

2 hours ago, fixyurdivot said:

Yeah, Ive always hit a 5-wood just as far, if not farther than a 3-wood anyways and with more height.  I just think that for most weekend golfers with average swing speeds, they simply dont swing the club fast enough to get the ball up in the air, especially when hitting off the turf with a 3-wood.

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

I had the Cleveland Hi-Bore 3 wood in my bag for years and never hit it consistently, to the point that it mainly became a driver. Last year as part of the Cobra Connect Challenge I added the SpeedZone 3 wood and now it is the most consistent club in my bag. I can hit it 235 off the tee and and 220 from pretty much any lie. I really wish the SpeedZone driver had the same face as the 3 wood, that would be something.

Driver: :cobra-small: Speed Zone 9* HZRDUS Smoke Yellow Shaft

3 Wood: :cobra-small: King Speedzone 13.5* HZRDUS Smoke Black Shaft

2 & 3 Hybrids: :cobra-small: Speedzone Recoil 480 ESX Shaft

Irons: :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-GW Recoil 460 ESX Shafts

Wedges::callaway-logo-1: PM Grind 54* & 58*

Putter: :odyssey-small: Dual Force Rossi II

Ball: Whatever I find in the woods

:Arccos:

HCP:18

This thread had me tinkering last night as I ponder woods and overall setup for bag #2 

I was thinking of sim2 5w and playing it at 3w length since I like the m5 setup that way, but at 19* that’s not really the loft I want, the sim2 max however has the 3hl which as I mentioned in 2016 was a great fit. That is now in ponder mode and pending some info on which Lin-q shaft to use 

On 2/28/2021 at 11:00 AM, fixyurdivot said:

What you need to do is find a buddy who can ship you a few different 2021 3w models to test out on the course and truly see what each can/can't do for you. No clue where you'd find one of those guys, though......

Shank's Tentative 2024 WITB

O.B. Finder- Paradym Smoke Ai TD 9*/Ventus TR Blue 6X +1/D

FW- Callaway UW 17*/VA Composites Nemesys 7X

4H- Paradym Super Hybrid/Ventus Velo Blue 8X

5-AW- Apex 21 $-Taper 120S Blackout- (almost time for a new set of something....)

Spoons- Vokey Jet Black SM9 50.08 F/54.10 S/58.08 M Jet Black/Accra iWedge Tour (Until the SM10's drop)

Flat One- Bettinardi Hive Poison Kool-Aid Innovai 6.0

Left Dash ALL DAY/14-way Vessel Players 4 (Thank GOD they finally fully enclosed each club pocket)

• 3 weeks later...

Who's gamed or still gaming one of these?

TaylorMade RBZ Driver and Fairway Wood Golf Equipment Review

My playing partner yesterday was a big hitter to be sure, but he twice hit near 280+ yard drives with this 3w.  I'd heard of and seen them, but never really looked closely at them and the speed slot behind the face.  Doing a little digging I found this article testing it against the newer M2 (another I'm not familiar with).  Definitely an interesting design approach and, by most accounts, regarded as the longest hitting 3w on the market... if you have a tour like swing speeds.

Head 2 Head: TaylorMade M2 Fairway vs. RBZ | MyGolfSpy

The driveresque sole profile shouts "not as friendly off the deck" as my G400 although several reviews suggest it is? 

My next step in trying to find more yardage with my G400 is in route - simply swapping out the Alta CB 65 stiff with a regular.  I'm hopeful this yields pay dirt but after seeing the TM in action yesterday, it has my interest.  

I had a 13* RBZ stage 2 that I clicked to 14* and used it for many years until it was swiped into SWMBO's bag last summer.  I can only blame myself because I was experimenting with a couple hybrids & a hot 4i at the time so it was out of my bag and sitting in the bullpen.  I think I can get it back because she also swiped a 16* Callaway and probably has 15 clubs in her bag.

Modern Bag:  :ping-small: G410 LST 10.5*, Hzrdus Smoke RDX 6.5 Flex;   :titelist-small:  915F 3w, Diamana S+ 70 S flex;  Snake Eyes 18* 2h, 23* 4h & 27* 5h; :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 6 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Edison 2.0 49*, 53*, 57* KBS Tour 120 S;   :ping-small:  Heppler Fetch;  Ball - :Snell: MTB-X; Bag - Jones MyGolfSpy Edition! 

Shot Scope H4, MG600 Rangefinder

Classic Bag:  Driver - :wilson_staff_small: Persimmon; 3w - :Hogan: Speed Slot; 5w - :wilson_staff_small: Tour Block; 3 - pw - :wilson_staff_small: Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

On 3/23/2021 at 2:09 PM, fixyurdivot said:

My next step in trying to find more yardage with my G400 is in route - simply swapping out the Alta CB 65 stiff with a regular.  I'm hopeful this yields pay dirt but after seeing the TM in action yesterday, it has my interest.  

Just got back from a range session with the "R" version shaft... not impressed 😐.  I got baseline numbers with the SC200, averaging 182 carry.  The "R" shaft definitely felt softer and I was getting just a wee bit closer to center, but my numbers were a bit more erratic and averaged 177. Ball flight was pretty similar.  I pulled my G400 5w (R shaft) and was averaging 175.  As some have already suggested, ditch the 3w and just hit a 5w... hard to argue based on numbers.  

That seems kind of nuts to me though.  My 3w trajectory is still pretty high yet I'm not seeing what I think I should be getting for carry... frustrating.  The 5w is a 19* and the 3w a 16*, both set on nominal loft setting.  I did mess around with max (+) (-) settings but saw no appreciable difference.  

What kind of spread are you guys seeing between 3w and 5w for carry distances?  

38 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

Just got back from a range session with the "R" version shaft... not impressed 😐.  I got baseline numbers with the SC200, averaging 182 carry.  The "R" shaft definitely felt softer and I was getting just a wee bit closer to center, but my numbers were a bit more erratic and averaged 177. Ball flight was pretty similar.  I pulled my G400 5w (R shaft) and was averaging 175.  As some have already suggested, ditch the 3w and just hit a 5w... hard to argue based on numbers.  

That seems kind of nuts to me though.  My 3w trajectory is still pretty high yet I'm not seeing what I think I should be getting for carry... frustrating.  The 5w is a 19* and the 3w a 16*, both set on nominal loft setting.  I did mess around with max (+) (-) settings but saw no appreciable difference.  

What were you launch, spin, peak height and ball speeds with each wood.

slower swing speeds are going to struggle to get the 3w to be on an optimal ball flight to maximize distance it’s why more loft helps and usually provides longer distances.

For me I can see about 15 yards carry (sometimes more) between an 13 and 18/19* wood but even with decent speed I usually have more consistent results with 16-18* than 13-15

38 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

My 5 wood is a 19 degree and my 200 yard go to club. The 3 wood is a high launch at 17 degrees and is in the 215 / 220 range.  

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

1 hour ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

My 5 wood is a 19 degree and my 200 yard go to club. The 3 wood is a high launch at 17 degrees and is in the 215 / 220 range.  

15-20 yard difference seems about right according to this article I just found.  Woods, Hybrids and Long Irons – What Combination Is Best For You? | MyGolfSpy

This is based on Accros data from over 100M+ shots and 1.6M rounds. The numbers are pretty darn close for my handicap group (and yours).  I was hitting everything off the deck w/o tee, limited flight range balls and with a 5-7 mph side wind.  Perhaps I'm just wanting something my game/swing simply cannot produce 😕?  

The G400 SFT is a draw biased design and, according to most everything I've read, not the longest of the 3 models.  I love how easy it (and the 5w) is to hit off the turf and would hate to give that up. 

1 hour ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

What were you launch, spin, peak height and ball speeds with each wood.

I didn't write down/save the swing speed numbers and the SC200 has no ball launch, height, or spin numbers. It seemed like my ss was about 3-4 mph faster with the 3w (vs. 5w).  I didn't see any difference between the R and S shaft on the 3w.  I suspect with some more range time, the R shaft might actually prove the better shaft but for my round tomorrow, the S was reattached.

8 hours ago, fixyurdivot said:

didn't write down/save the swing speed numbers and the SC200 has no ball launch, height, or spin numbers. It seemed like my ss was about 3-4 mph faster with the 3w (vs. 5w).  I didn't see any difference between the R and S shaft on the 3w.  I suspect with some more range time, the R shaft might actually prove the better shaft but for my round tomorrow, the S was reattached.

It’ll be hard to say why the close distance between the two clubs without any launch data.

What shaft do you have in regular flex including weight? Same question for the stiff flex

1 hour ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

It’ll be hard to say why the close distance between the two clubs without any launch data.

What shaft do you have in regular flex including weight? Same question for the stiff flex

It's the Alta CB 65 R & S on the 3w and R on the 5w.  Based on the TS fitting, the Diamana Thump 65 R on the Tsi2 proved best, but with the ZX5 purchase and KBS TD shaft for the driver, I wasn't ready to make that investment on the 3w.  Since the fitting moved me from the Alta CB Red 55 stiff to regular, the Thump was R, and because I hit the 5w just fine, figured just switching to a R shaft might be the magic.

Because they did not have the correct adapter, I was unable to test the Diamana shaft on my 3w.... I think that would have been telling.